PDA

View Full Version : Private messaging / privacy

dahamsta
13/06/2001, 8:59 PM
Joe tells me that there might be some concern about the security of the Private Messaging feature on these forums, so I'd like to make it clear that the only person who has access to private messages is me, and the only way I could do that is by connecting directly to the database, which I don't and won't do. Even if there is an accusation of abuse, I won't look at private messages without explicit permission from the recipient. When we migrate to the new site, I'll be putting together a comprehensive privacy policy, and that policy will be listed in it.

With regard to other privacy concerns, I should point out that I'm pro-privacy and anti-spam, and that's the way the site will be run. We'll never distribute your data without your explicit permission, either for free or for a fee; and we'll never spam you. When the site is set up proper, I'll be building a comprehensive privacy section into the control panel, so you'll be able to set what we can and can't do; and that will even go so far as to include settings for a situation where the site is sold to a third party.

I hope this makes you all rest a bit easier... :)

adam