PDA

View Full Version : Ireland U21's Squad v Hungary & Italy

Pages : [1] 2

IsMiseSean
29/08/2012, 6:10 PM
Squad announced today. Two wins required, tough task for Noel King's side.
Republic under 21s in need of two wins (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2012/0829/335446-republic-under-21s-in-need-of-two-wins/)

Squad:
GK - Ian McLoughlin, Aaron McCarey
DEF - John Egan, Greg Cunningham, Rob Kiernan, Shane Duffy, Niall Canavan, Richie Towell, Aidan White
MID - Jeff Hendrick, Adam Barton, Conor Henderson, Conor Clifford, Samir Carruthers, Eunan O'Kane, Sean Murray, Robbie Brady
FOR - Sean Scannell, Rhys Murphy, James Collins.

I'm a bit surprised Joe Mason isn't included.

Scooby Doo
29/08/2012, 6:55 PM
A very decent looking squad there. Future looks good if these guys continue to progress. Wish Trap would do a bit of blooding of a few over the next campaign. Friendlies and possibly the Faroes/Kazakhstan at home should be used.

Charlie Darwin
06/09/2012, 12:04 PM
The match is being streamed here from 4pm according to the FAI. Not sure if it's free or not, I assume it must be.

http://www.sport1tv.hu/

geysir
06/09/2012, 12:16 PM
There are links to this game being streamed on First Row and VIP box.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 3:08 PM
Conor Henderson starting, first time I have ever watched him, really looks an Arsenal player.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 3:15 PM
1-0 Huns.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 3:25 PM
We don't look at the races at all here.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 3:28 PM
2-0, we're a shambles defensively.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 3:39 PM
Cunningham wins us a peno with a surging run into the box.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 3:40 PM
Brady converts, 2-1.

tetsujin1979
06/09/2012, 3:45 PM
some scoring record at this level for Brady.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 3:46 PM
Pen Huns.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 3:47 PM
Duffy caused it, he has had a terrible game for us so far :mad:

Carrigaline
McLaughlin saves brilliantly.

Charlie Darwin
What a dreadful miss. Ridiculous defending from Duffy.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 3:52 PM
HT.

Our problem is that we keep giving the ball way cheaply at the wrong end of the pitch which the Hungarians are punishing mercilessly. Duffy has been awful in central defence, looks big and awkward and is being twisted and turned all over the place by the quick-footed Hungarians. Henderson looks a very tidy player, spreading play about nicely and trying to get forward. Hendrick has been a disappointment for me. He hasn't closed down the opposition midfield enough and too many passes of his have went astray. Brady has been useless of the right wing, every time but once he got the ball, he either lost it or miscontrolled it.

IsMiseSean
06/09/2012, 3:52 PM
They're flowing through our midfield on the break.
Egan & Duffy looking very dodgy
I don't know what O'Kane is suppose to be doing...
Anyone think Brady needs to shed a few pounds? Another Andy Reid...

Charlie Darwin
06/09/2012, 4:06 PM
Did Cunningham hit his head in the tunnel at half time?

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 4:12 PM
Did Cunningham hit his head in the tunnel at half time?
No, it was a tackle.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 4:14 PM
60 minutes gone, we are getting truly bossed here.

pineapple stu
06/09/2012, 4:21 PM
Are we? I'm only flicking in and out, but we're playing some nice, controlled stuff.

IsMiseSean
06/09/2012, 4:23 PM
I wouldn't say we're getting bossed. We seem to have more possession.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 4:24 PM
The last 10 minutes we've come into it alright.

IsMiseSean
06/09/2012, 4:29 PM
Doran & Barton on for Murphy & O'Kane

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 4:33 PM
Pretty woeful from Egan there, nearly 3-1.

IsMiseSean
06/09/2012, 4:35 PM
That was a pen

pineapple stu
06/09/2012, 4:35 PM
Yeah, dunno how you could possibly not give a penalty (and a red card) for that. Blatant barge in the back.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 4:39 PM
Finally a good ball from Brady after Henderson picked him out with an amazing ball. Hendrick should have scored.

pineapple stu
06/09/2012, 4:44 PM
Main difference in the game seems to be that Hungary's defence is much better than ours; we're not getting much change out of their back four.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 4:45 PM
Fine save from McLoughlin to deny a certain goal there.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 4:47 PM
They're doing a hatchet job on Gregory Cunningham, poor lad looks like he's been in the wars.

pineapple stu
06/09/2012, 4:47 PM
Fine save from McLoughlin to deny a certain goal there.

Had he not saved it, it probably would have been a goal alright.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 4:48 PM
Forde for White.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 4:50 PM
Main difference in the game seems to be that Hungary's defence is much better than ours; we're not getting much change out of their back four.
The defence are under pressure because we give the ball away so cheaply so often. We are constantly trying 60 yard Hollywood crosses when a 5 yard pass is the better option.

pineapple stu
06/09/2012, 4:54 PM
We really aren't trying that many long balls. And I don't think we're giving the ball away as much as having bad first touches, which should be more curable (right idea, just bad execution). When Hungary break, it looks like we've no-one back, whereas when we have the ball, Hungary have everyone back.

Anyways, 2-1 is a result now.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 5:02 PM
All over, 2-1. A poor performance from us over all.

Positives? McLoughlin did well in goal, saved a penalty and a few shots on goal.
While Henderson gave the ball away sloppily far too much, I think his intent was commendable. He was always trying to pass the ball forward, pick out a player in a threatening position, as opposed to just hitting it and hoping. Was fairly mobile around the pitch too. The defensive side to his game isn't too hot though.
Brady came into the game a lot more in the second half. Always on the ball, always willing to try and go past the defender. Unfortunately, the few decent balls and runs he did make were dwarfed by the number of miscontrolled passes and blind runs into opposing players.

Negatives? Most of these players look miles off where we need them to be to stake a claim in the senior squad. Egan really struggled at right back as the Hungarians cut inside time and time again with him unable to deal with it.
Murphy upfront was totally ineffective, I think it's safe to say that he has no international future whatsoever.
Hendrick was the biggest disappointment. Maybe it was the occasion that phased him, but he was really poor, didn't pass well at all, didn't close down, I honestly thought with his bags of first team experience that he would relish this occasion.

Carrigaline
06/09/2012, 5:23 PM
We really aren't trying that many long balls. And I don't think we're giving the ball away as much as having bad first touches, which should be more curable (right idea, just bad execution). When Hungary break, it looks like we've no-one back, whereas when we have the ball, Hungary have everyone back.

Anyways, 2-1 is a result now.
Maybe I am expecting too much, but our lads (with the exception of Henderson and Brady) just looked far too afraid and timid when on the ball. The Hungarians were simply better than us and only allowed us into the game after they settled on their 2-1 lead.

I can understand that the under-21 team is about just grooming talent for the first team, but on the basis of displays I have seen in the last few years, I don't see that they're learning anything useful. If the lads aren't winning matches (we have won something like 4 in 20 and two of those were against Liechtenstein), and aren't learning anything, surely the whole setup needs to be looked at?

Adrock
06/09/2012, 10:33 PM
After all the flack Givens got for his under-21's shortcomings maybe its time King had some coming his way.

He's got a more talented squad of players than in previous age groups Givens worked with but they've underperformed, woefully at times, during the campaign and what's more lots of players seem to be withdrawing or rejecting call ups for no immediately explicable reason. Whether thats to do with the manager is anyone's guess but it seems under-21 foootball for the Republic of Ireland is not a very appealing evening out for many young players, compared for, say playing for Scunthorpe United for instance

liamoo11
06/09/2012, 11:34 PM
After all the flack Givens got for his under-21's shortcomings maybe its time King had some coming his way.

He's got a more talented squad of players than in previous age groups Givens worked with but they've underperformed, woefully at times, during the campaign and what's more lots of players seem to be withdrawing or rejecting call ups for no immediately explicable reason. Whether thats to do with the manager is anyone's guess but it seems under-21 foootball for the Republic of Ireland is not a very appealing evening out for many young players, compared for, say playing for Scunthorpe United for instance

Nonsense contribution. I think that is well out of line in fairness.This has been a good campaign with some good football played in sligo in particular. Its a limited squad we have for instance tonight egan had to play full back out of neccessity. Some players such as canavan, connolly clifford were needed for club games on tuesday and collins and scannell were injured. I dont think u can blame lads who are tryin to make a living in the lower leagues staying with their clubs for 2 games if they were requested to do so by their employers instead of been away on international duty, itsan unfortunate economic fact that these lads will be scrapping for a contract at a league club and need all the help they can get. The majority of the best footballers duffy, brady, murray, carruthers, forde, williams, egan etc are from the under 19 crop who made the euro final and r still available for next campaign. The only real doubt over selection that I see is mason at cardiff who has not been involved but there may be a good reason for that and gunning who may have been left out for disciplinery reasons. The next group is the one we should have realistic expectations of qualifying with due to the quality of player that made the euro final and others such as graham burke, paul george etc. Duffy, henderson, cunningham and brady will be good senior irish players from this group with egan(as a centre half) and white winning senior caps as well but I dont see many more featuring much at senior level from tonights team. Cant see how u can say King has done a bad job.if we dont make the playoffs next time then he deserves some flack maybe but not now.

Carrigaline
07/09/2012, 12:16 AM
He's got a more talented squad of players than in previous age groups
I am not so sure about that to be honest. How many players currently in the under 21 set-up would you be confident of playing for a top 6 club? I can't think of any. There are a few who might be able to secure mid table PL football like Duffy or McCarthy, not many more though, if any.

Stuttgart88
07/09/2012, 6:52 AM
Is it not another case of us bigging up players beyond their capabilities? Very surprised that Duffy has been poor on more than one occasion.

Adrock
07/09/2012, 9:21 PM
I think out of the players involved in this campaign theres several - Macarthy, Duffy, Clifford, White, Gunning, Hendrick, Mason, Collins, Barton, Brady Cunningham, Henderson, Scannell - that have potential to be regular internationals. However having watched us being totally outplayed in Sligo against Turkey and apparently again here against mediocre opposition it looks like the team is less than the sum of its parts and that comes down to the manager.

Do you think every other squad has this problem with multiple withdrawals from players claiming or not even bothering to claim an injury and then turning out the next club match? If they did there would be no point even having under-21 football. The theres 2 players at least in Mason and Mcginty who who seem to have just withdrawn their services entirely from under his management with no explanation given for their absence. This is exactly the kind of thing that got Givens endless abuse and mockery.

SkStu
07/09/2012, 9:24 PM
Does anyone know what the story is with Mason? I can't understand how he's not featuring or why... I honestly would have liked to see him called up to train with the senior squad for the Serbia friendly after the season he had with Cardiff last season.

Stuttgart88
07/09/2012, 9:45 PM
Interesting questions in the 2 posts above.

Murfinator
07/09/2012, 9:52 PM
Do you think every other squad has this problem with multiple withdrawals from players claiming or not even bothering to claim an injury and then turning out the next club match? If they did there would be no point even having under-21 football.

Other countries don't have as many foreign born players with loose connections and very little patriotism as we do.

liamoo11
07/09/2012, 11:24 PM
I think out of the players involved in this campaign theres several - Macarthy, Duffy, Clifford, White, Gunning, Hendrick, Mason, Collins, Barton, Brady Cunningham, Henderson, Scannell - that have potential to be regular internationals. However having watched us being totally outplayed in Sligo against Turkey and apparently again here against mediocre opposition it looks like the team is less than the sum of its parts and that comes down to the manager.

Do you think every other squad has this problem with multiple withdrawals from players claiming or not even bothering to claim an injury and then turning out the next club match? If they did there would be no point even having under-21 football. The theres 2 players at least in Mason and Mcginty who who seem to have just withdrawn their services entirely from under his management with no explanation given for their absence. This is exactly the kind of thing that got Givens endless abuse and mockery.

What are you talking about. I made it clear on the last page why lads in league 1 would have to play for there clubs in a cup game that clashed with an international it is their livelihood in fairness. Also when was McGinty called into a 21 squad? Doolin left him out of the last 2 seasons at under 19 even though he was first choice for 19s as a 17 year old. None of that has anything to do with King.

Adrock
08/09/2012, 12:29 AM
Sorry meant to say Gunning not Mcginty (another ROI refusenik) as the defender that made full appearances for Dundee United either side of the Turkey qualifier with no mention from his club of any injury issue and then being left out against Hungary. If there is a good reason for his and Mason's absences why not mention it instead of just leaving them out as if they arent worthy of consideration which implies one party or another is nursing a grudge of some sort?
As for Clifford and Canavan, if playing in a Johnstone Paint trophy first round match is a greater priority than playng a uefa under-21 qualifier then what kind of commitment are we going to get from them at full level in the event they were to become premiership players?

liamoo11
08/09/2012, 6:31 PM
Sorry meant to say Gunning not Mcginty (another ROI refusenik) as the defender that made full appearances for Dundee United either side of the Turkey qualifier with no mention from his club of any injury issue and then being left out against Hungary. If there is a good reason for his and Mason's absences why not mention it instead of just leaving them out as if they arent worthy of consideration which implies one party or another is nursing a grudge of some sort?
As for Clifford and Canavan, if playing in a Johnstone Paint trophy first round match is a greater priority than playng a uefa under-21 qualifier then what kind of commitment are we going to get from them at full level in the event they were to become premiership players?

McGinty never refused to play for ireland. He was first choice centre half at 17 for the 19s. The fa youth cup final was on the same night the FAI allowed the playoff under 19s games be scheduled for and he had to play for utd in cup final as per his contract.What is the point of making up lies?

Charlie Darwin
08/09/2012, 7:29 PM
McGinty's position is unclear, as seemingly nobody has seen fit to ask him or Paul Doolin what the story is. I'd have guessed Doolin would have selected him since the championships, or he'd have moved to the U21s, but neither seems to have happened but we don't know what's brought that about.

tetsujin1979
08/09/2012, 7:43 PM
McGinty is not setting the world on fire on loan at Oxford either, barely getting off the bench long enough to break a sweat