PDA

View Full Version : Shels out on penalties

tiktok
28/08/2004, 10:55 PM
Finished

Derry 0-0 Shelbourne AET
Derry win 5-3 on penalties

Alan Cawley hit the post with his (Shels' fourth) penalty, Ciaran Martin scored his to put Derry through.

adamcarr
28/08/2004, 11:16 PM
As much as I like seeing $h£l$ going out, we could have done with them in the cup!

DCFC2004
28/08/2004, 11:25 PM
I have to say that it was much deserved win by Derry tonight!!

They were definitely the better team, esp in first half.

Crowd of about 2,500 and I thought that it was a nice gesture at the end when the vast majority of Derry fans clapped Shels off the pitch

The FAI Cup is ours now ;)

Sheridan
28/08/2004, 11:36 PM
I've just realised that one of the following teams is going to win the cup.

Derry City
Waterford Utd
Drogheda Utd
Athlone Town
Kildare County
Longford Town
Rockmount
UCD.

Unless Derry reap immediate rewards from going full-time, or Drogheda are better than they looked last night, prepare for the coefficient to take another hammering in the UEFA Cup. Bleedin' FAI Cup is more trouble than its worth. :mad:

pineapple stu
28/08/2004, 11:52 PM
prepare for the coefficient to take another hammering in the UEFA Cup.

When was the last time we were embarrassed in Europe?

Only one Dublin team left though - ridiculously open competition this year! Realistically, any bar Athlone or Rockmount could win too.

Sheridan
28/08/2004, 11:57 PM
When was the last time we were embarrassed in Europe?

Only one Dublin team left though - ridiculously open competition this year! Realistically, any bar Athlone or Rockmount could win too.
Indeed, UCD's record in Europe is pretty remarkable, and you'd probably do even better in the Intertoto Cup with half a season under your belts, as would most of those teams. But the cup winners are always embarrassed in the UEFA Cup.

PS: Did Philly play tonight?

pineapple stu
29/08/2004, 12:15 AM
Came on as a sub early on, set up our goal - can see the match report in the UCD section for more if you want. Movement was alright, looks an interesting signing, though still curious. How old is he, by the way?

Don't be jinxing the Cup winners!!! They seem to do that to themselves enough without others adding to it! ;)

Sheridan
29/08/2004, 12:23 AM
Came on as a sub early on, set up our goal - can see the match report in the UCD section for more if you want. Movement was alright, looks an interesting signing, though still curious. How old is he, by the way?
He turns 23 in a few days. Has done well at First Division level before, and should do so again. Sorry to jinx you, but UCD are both my tip and my preference to take the cup.

pineapple stu
29/08/2004, 12:29 AM
UCD are...my preference to take the cup.

Any reason?

Sheridan
29/08/2004, 12:35 AM
Any reason?
Plucky bunch. One of the curiosities that make Irish football interesting. Get stick they don't deserve from Neanderthals (as do we.) Anyone I've encountered who's been involved with the club has come across as fairly sound . That's it really, just a personal preference.

dancinpants
29/08/2004, 3:46 AM

Derry City
Waterford Utd
Drogheda Utd
Athlone Town
Kildare County
Longford Town
Rockmount
UCD.

Unless Derry reap immediate rewards from going full-time, or Drogheda are better than they looked last night, prepare for the coefficient to take another hammering in the UEFA Cup. Bleedin' FAI Cup is more trouble than its worth. :mad:

I know, the co-efficient wouldnt be under threat so much if we had teams of Dublin Citys calibre remaining in the cup.... :rolleyes:

ShelsTim
29/08/2004, 9:16 PM
Here's to Rockmount getting the cup and going to the UEFA Cup groups. Anyone but UCD to win, they're not a real club at all. Actually, don't want Derry to get it either.

De Town
29/08/2004, 9:19 PM
Bitter taste in the mouth,eh?

ShelsTim
29/08/2004, 9:24 PM
Naturally, I am a football fan after all.

tiktok
29/08/2004, 9:28 PM
Shels tim, you forgot Cork City 1-1 Nantes in your sig.
The home leg -v- Malmo was 3-1 too
Very nice by the way ;)

amarach
29/08/2004, 9:31 PM
Shels out of another cup, how does it feel lol

Well Done Derry; I'd like to see Derry or Rockmount winning it; Both deserve it ;)

tiktok
29/08/2004, 9:42 PM

Derry City
Waterford Utd
Drogheda Utd
Athlone Town
Kildare County
Longford Town
Rockmount
UCD.

Obviously the strongest team (on paper at any rate) left in is Drogheda.
Since they're currently flying high in the prem, the remaining seven teams may only have to reach the final to guarantee themselves European football next season.

Depending on the draw, I'd fancy Drogs and Derry to be in the final, and to be honest I'd like to see Stephen Kenny show Bohs how good a manager they got rid of (and that would save Derry some money, because they wouldn't have to sue the FAI to get into Europe next year :D :D :D )

pete
30/08/2004, 12:12 PM
Feck only hope now is Drogs to win the Cup as might need it to get us into the UEFA CUP plus they could do with few extra games to tire them out ;)

OneRedArmy
30/08/2004, 12:25 PM

The irony of a Dublin City fan lecturing on the prospects of other clubs "hammering" the UEFA coefficient.

I'd be inclined to be more concerned about your truly awful attendances and Roddy's crazy wheeling and dealing.

Sheridan
30/08/2004, 1:16 PM
The irony of a Dublin City fan lecturing on the prospects of other clubs "hammering" the UEFA coefficient.

I'd be inclined to be more concerned about your truly awful attendances and Roddy's crazy wheeling and dealing.
It would take Derry fans to miss the point so spectacularly. Point the irony out to me (you might want to look it up in a dictionary first, but it's alright, I have all day.)

Jesus, are they putting fatuousness in the water supply up there or something?

OneRedArmy
30/08/2004, 1:53 PM
It would take Derry fans to miss the point so spectacularly. Point the irony out to me (you might want to look it up in a dictionary first, but it's alright, I have all day.)

Jesus, are they putting fatuousness in the water supply up there or something?

Irony: def. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs.

You are bottom of the League.
The attendance and resulting atmosphere at your home games is a joke.
You have sacked a well-respected manager and appointed Ireland's biggest chancer and self-proclaimed relegation expert.
He has promptly sold most of your squad in a slash and burn exercise and is replacing young potential with overpaid has-been (or never-were?) pundits with zero loyalty or long-term potential who are here for a quick buck to boost their pension. All in a vain attempt to avoid relegation. So what if you don't get relegated? Whats the medium / long-term plan or has Roddy not reached that page of the Football Management for Dummies manual yet?

Yet you have decided that unless a top 2/3 side wins the Cup their prospects won't be good in the UEFA Cup, resulting in a worsening of our UEFA Coefficient.

The irony is that given the former, you have any interest or opinion in the latter, given it has no realistic chance of ever impacting on your club.

max power
30/08/2004, 2:14 PM
i love the way no one has mentioned us, suits us fine.....we'll just plod along nice and quietly to Europe again :D

thats real Europe of course and not the inter tayto cup. ;)

Sheridan
30/08/2004, 2:24 PM
<irrelevant rubbish deleted>

The irony is that given the former, you have any interest or opinion in the latter, given it has no realistic chance of ever impacting on your club.
This kind of logic seems to be a uniquely Irish form of stupidity, so I suppose it's too deeply ingrained to be worth my while arguing about.

PS: I just took a terrifying (and extremely brief, for fear of the abyss staring back) glimpse inside your mindset and the following phrase appeared:

Since "our" Roddy has done far more than your Roddy to boost Ireland's coefficient, your opinion is worthless.

GavinZac
30/08/2004, 3:30 PM
i love the way no one has mentioned us, suits us fine.....we'll just plod along nice and quietly to Europe again :D

thats real Europe of course and not the inter tayto cup. ;)

maybe ye'll get an easier draw this time, maybe FC Andorra

Slash/ED
30/08/2004, 5:23 PM
I fancy the Drogs to win it and being mostly full time they could do a decent job in Europe and the Setanta Cup too.