PDA

View Full Version : James Collins (F Derby b.1990)

Pages : [1] 2 3

pineapple stu
28/08/2012, 8:08 PM
Don't see a thread on this guy. Scored twice for Swindon away to Stoke tonight. First for the club since joining in the summer.

SkStu
28/08/2012, 9:21 PM
hatrick for Collins to put Swindon 4-3 up!

Unbelievable! Swindon have snatched it right at the death! James Collins slides in the Robins' fourth goal and his third of the night. The away fans are going absolutely mad, and they've every right to go mad, because they are on the verge of claiming a famous scalp.

Paolo Di Canio is punching the air

hmmmm...

Charlie Darwin
28/08/2012, 9:22 PM
Hat trick hero in the last minute and they've won the game!

theworm2345
28/08/2012, 10:25 PM
Scored against Arsenal last year in one of the cups as well. Was banging them in for Shrewsbury last year in League Two, hopefully he can have a good season in League One...not a bad guy to learn from as his manager either.

tricky_colour
29/08/2012, 12:25 AM
Seems like a very interesting prospect, one to follow, 3 goals against a Premierships side is not bad going hence I have
to ask the question who was the last Irish player before James to put past a premiership side?

I'd be surprised if the answer was not Robbie Keane, I think he must have scored a hat-trick against someone and I can't
think of any other candidate beyond that, certainly not without going back some time.

So.... anyone care to list any Irish v Premiership hat-trick scorers?

I am thinking Robbie may have scored one at Spurs? Or did he get one at Liverpool?

My memory is like our European Championship's defence :D

It woudl make a good 'Pointless' if you have seen the TV Program.

Charlie Darwin
29/08/2012, 12:37 AM
Robbie got four against Burnley a couple of years back. I think he scored a couple of others in his first spell there.

edit: turns out he got three in the Premier, all for Spurs. Leon Best is the only other Irish player to manage the same feat, vs West Ham a couple of seasons ago.

tricky_colour
29/08/2012, 12:54 AM
Would never have got Leon Best, given he scored that in Jan 2011 that must have been the
last one before James's

Are they the only two? Seems they are.

Surely there were some in the old top flight Division One?

Can't find an info on that though.

BonnieShels
29/08/2012, 1:06 AM
Old what Division?

Football was invented in 1992!

tricky_colour
29/08/2012, 1:13 AM
Nicked from the Swindon site

A powerful forward, Collins signed for Swindon on a two-year deal after rejecting the offer of a new contract from former club Shrewsbury Town.

Coventry-born Collins started his youth career at Aston Villa where he made his way up through the Villa youth ranks. In October 2009 the forward was loaned to Darlington on a three-month deal, making his professional debut in a 3-0 loss at the hands of Barnet. He went on to make seven appearances for the Quakers scoring twice before returning to Villa.

Despite a trial with Scottish club Aberdeen prior to the 2010/11 season Collins remained an Aston Villa player. Following Martin O’Neill’s departure to Sunderland, caretaker manager Kevin McDonald included the striker in his 20-man squad that travelled to Rapid Vienna in the UEFA Europa League.

A second loan spell away from Villa Park later that season saw Collins join Burton Albion on an emergency loan in October 2010. The striker made an emphatic start to his spell at The Pirelli Stadium notching two goals in his first three games, scoring a further two goals in a total of 10 appearances during his stay. With first team opportunities limited at Villa, he signed a permanent 18-month contract with Shrewsbury in January 2011, finishing the 2010/11 season with an impressive eight goals from 23 appearances.

Last season Collins fired 17 goals in a total of 47 appearances helping Shrewsbury to promotion to League 2, finishing second behind champions Swindon.

Collins has also represented Ireland at U21 level, scoring a quick-fire hat-trick against Liechtenstein in a 4-1 win in October 2011.

tricky_colour
29/08/2012, 1:18 AM
Dixie Dean scored an incredible 37 hat-tricks in his career. Most football commentators are of the opinion that this record is unlikely to be beaten (they're sticking their necks out there!!), along with his record haul of 60 goals in a season (1927-28).

tricky_colour
29/08/2012, 1:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yma8gEeGzmQ

theworm2345
29/08/2012, 2:37 AM
Would never have got Leon Best, given he scored that in Jan 2011 that must have been the
last one before James's

Are they the only two? Seems they are.

Surely there were some in the old top flight Division One?

Can't find an info on that though.
Niall Quinn got one against Crystal Palace on April 1st, 1991.

This was discussed at the time of Best's hat trick as well
http://foot.ie/threads/83189-Leon-Best/page13

peadar1987
29/08/2012, 9:05 AM
Seems like a very interesting prospect, one to follow, 3 goals against a Premierships side is not bad going hence I have
to ask the question who was the last Irish player before James to put past a premiership side?

I'd be surprised if the answer was not Robbie Keane, I think he must have scored a hat-trick against someone and I can't
think of any other candidate beyond that, certainly not without going back some time.

So.... anyone care to list any Irish v Premiership hat-trick scorers?

I am thinking Robbie may have scored one at Spurs? Or did he get one at Liverpool?

My memory is like our European Championship's defence :D

It woudl make a good 'Pointless' if you have seen the TV Program.

I'm not holding out an immense amount of hope. I remember Adam Rooney scoring a hat-trick for Stoke on the last day of the season in (I think) 2007. Where is he now?

Of course, I could just be in a pessimistic mood because Stoke have just been beaten 4-3 by League 2 opposition. Grr!

pineapple stu
29/08/2012, 9:16 AM
Of course, I could just be in a pessimistic mood because Stoke have just been beaten 4-3 by League 2 opposition. Grr!
Swindon are League 1 now (old Division Two, and old old Division Three).

They were promoted last year. They knocked Brighton out last round, and haven't conceded a goal in the league yet. Looks like di Canio's doing quite a good job there.

Manblue
29/08/2012, 10:41 AM
Why did he leave Villa???

He was either released....doesnt bode well given their lack of strikers

Or

Didnt feel he'd get in..... doesnt bode well given their lack of strikers

not ruling him out but wouldn't hold my breath on this one

**just saw his wiki picture....comical

tetsujin1979
29/08/2012, 11:14 AM
I'm not holding out an immense amount of hope. I remember Adam Rooney scoring a hat-trick for Stoke on the last day of the season in (I think) 2007. Where is he now?

Rooney is in and out of the team at Birmingham, mainly out

Charlie Darwin
29/08/2012, 11:31 AM
Goals here. Great footage of Di Canio giving him a literal kick up the arse at half time.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xt4klh_stoke-city-3-4-swindon-town_sport

pineapple stu
29/08/2012, 11:41 AM
I don't think that was at half-time! Looked more like just after his second goal. Is di Canio trying the Brian Clough school of management?

tetsujin1979
29/08/2012, 12:24 PM
I don't think that was at half-time! Looked more like just after his second goal. Is di Canio trying the Brian Clough school of management?
Or Father Ted on Bishop Brennan?

Yard of Pace
29/08/2012, 12:25 PM

I think he might be. Even that rambling answer he gives in the interview, you can well imagine hearing it in Clough's drawl. :)

jbyrne
29/08/2012, 3:48 PM
Robbie got four against Burnley a couple of years back. I think he scored a couple of others in his first spell there.

edit: turns out he got three in the Premier, all for Spurs. Leon Best is the only other Irish player to manage the same feat, vs West Ham a couple of seasons ago.

was at white hart lane for a robbie hat-trick against wolves about 8 years ago. he was superb that day

tetsujin1979
01/01/2013, 2:44 PM
Collins came off the bench this afternoon in the 60th minute. 13 minutes later, he'd banged in a hat trick, scoring on 61, 66 and 73 minutes!

<EDIT>

And another on 83 minutes to finish with four goals in less than thirty minutes!

CraftyToePoke
01/01/2013, 6:39 PM
Brilliant ! This lad could be in the Championship next season, still only 22 as well I think. Fair play to him after having to drop to League Two without Villa ever really giving him an outing.

Fixer82
01/01/2013, 8:50 PM
David Connolly scored 4 goals in a game a couple of times. I think once for Wolves and once for Wimbledon.
Fair play young James

CraftyToePoke
06/01/2013, 8:44 PM
Notched again yesterday in his sides 4-0 win, up to ten for the season, maybe with half an eye on being leading scorer too with McGoldrick gone to Ipswich.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20863566
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

TheOneWhoKnocks
17/12/2016, 2:51 PM
The first Irish player to score 10 league goals this season.

samhaydenjr
18/12/2016, 2:44 AM
The first Irish player to score 10 league goals this season.

Unless you count Scott Hogan:crossed:. Wait...NO...OW!...STOP!:bashed:. Sorry TOWK

samhaydenjr
19/01/2019, 4:40 PM
Well, since we last talked about Collins, he continued to score regularly at League Two level. Now at Luton, he got promoted with them last season and has continued scoring at League One level as Luton have climbed to second - grabbed a hat-trick today to bring his tally to 14 for the season, which is five more than Ronan Curtis at table-toppers Pompey - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46847461

Olé Olé
19/01/2019, 4:53 PM
https://www.the42.ie/james-collins-luton-town-footballer-ireland-interview-4407235-Dec2018/

Interview with him published by the 42 over Christmas.

Curtis has been playing on the left and has 8 assists also.

samhaydenjr
19/01/2019, 7:04 PM
https://www.the42.ie/james-collins-luton-town-footballer-ireland-interview-4407235-Dec2018/

Interview with him published by the 42 over Christmas.

Curtis has been playing on the left and has 8 assists also.

Fair point - I guess I'm trying to gauge if Collins should be included in the conversation about our strikers for the coming campaign, or is he still too far off, particularly with Obafemi opening his account and the buzz around Parrott.

samhaydenjr
29/01/2019, 9:54 PM
Collins continues his good form with a brace against promotion rivals Portsmouth, his fifteenth and sixteenth of the season, making it 5 in 3 games: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46707218

samhaydenjr
03/02/2019, 1:07 AM
...and two more for Collins today, bringing him to eighteen for the season and seven in his last four games. I know it's "only" League One (and Eoin Doyle and Paddy Madden are the obvious retorts) but still... eighteen goals at the start of February... that's impressive. He's always had a fair eye for goal at League Two level and League One, to an extent, but he appears to have found an extra gear this season: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47011141

samhaydenjr
10/02/2019, 4:09 AM
Nineteenth of the season for Collins and Luton are well-placed for promotion: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47098949

MancIrishWolf
10/02/2019, 7:52 AM
Fourth clean sheet in five games for James Shea in goal also. Worth keeping an eye on both ends of their team.

samhaydenjr
13/02/2019, 12:15 AM
Seems his recent goal scoring exploits haven't gone unnoticed as Robbie Keane watched him play in his last game: https://www.the42.ie/james-collins-luton-town-4488368-Feb2019/ - at 6'2" would give us an extra bit of height up front but it is difficult to compare his record this season with, say, David McGoldrick's. That said, it's unclear if Callum Robinson will be back in time and Obafemi has only played a handful of games so far, so... maybe

CraftyToePoke
13/02/2019, 1:58 AM
Seems his recent goal scoring exploits haven't gone unnoticed as Robbie Keane watched him play in his last game: https://www.the42.ie/james-collins-luton-town-4488368-Feb2019/ - at 6'2" would give us an extra bit of height up front but it is difficult to compare his record this season with, say, David McGoldrick's. That said, it's unclear if Callum Robinson will be back in time and Obafemi has only played a handful of games so far, so... maybe

Comparable / competing with Aiden O'Brien maybe. One at the wrong end of the Championship, not always in his team, the other flying in the division below, his club top, his clubs main guy, and a bit taller into the bargain. Thing is Dave Mooney tore the a*se out of L1 out of the blue like this, shortly before vanishing without a trace not so long ago.

Olé Olé
13/02/2019, 8:58 AM
Comparable / competing with Aiden O'Brien maybe. One at the wrong end of the Championship, not always in his team, the other flying in the division below, his club top, his clubs main guy, and a bit taller into the bargain. Thing is Dave Mooney tore the a*se out of L1 out of the blue like this, shortly before vanishing without a trace not so long ago.

Eoin Doyle and Paddy Madden have also made serious hay there but neither could step up to Championship level when opportunity presented.

tetsujin1979
13/02/2019, 9:27 AM
Madden fell out with the manager and was sold before he could really get a chance at Championship level.
He's been a regular scorer in league one whenever he's played there

Olé Olé
13/02/2019, 9:50 AM
Madden fell out with the manager and was sold before he could really get a chance at Championship level.
He's been a regular scorer in league one whenever he's played there
He had half a season there and didn't take the opportunity, regardless of any fall out. His next move was down to League Two after it too. And he never got back up there. I think my assertion was fair.

mark12345
14/02/2019, 12:41 AM
Good information on a player (Collins) whom people will be keeping an eye on in the coming months.
I don't like all this talk about "height" and "taller." I am still holding out hope that Ireland will move away from that style of football, and in short order.
Give me a smaller striker who can hold up the ball and has an eye for goal (like Sergio Aguero) instead of a "taller" one.

samhaydenjr
14/02/2019, 2:02 AM
Good information on a player (Collins) whom people will be keeping an eye on in the coming months.
I don't like all this talk about "height" and "taller." I am still holding out hope that Ireland will move away from that style of football, and in short order.
Give me a smaller striker who can hold up the ball and has an eye for goal (like Sergio Aguero) instead of a "taller" one.

I don't entirely disagree - with Long, Obafemi, McGoldrick and Robinson, we have significant speed up front and that should probably be the focus of our attack. But I guess a physical presence up front will likely still be an element of our forward play, with recen calls for Murphy to come out of retirement and for call-ups for Lukas Jutkiewicz and Cillian Sheridan. So I just thought I'd note that Collins does have that physical presence (although his recent goal spree hasn't included any headers, AFAIK)

livehead1
21/02/2019, 8:11 AM
Seems as if there's every chance he will be called up to the next squad. I would be disappointed if I was to miss out on a call up to someone like Will Keane. Has anyone seen much of him? Should be playing in the Championship next season.

Olé Olé
21/02/2019, 9:10 AM
One thing that worries me about him is that he has consistently failed to step up in level in his career. He has no proven record above League One and his League One record has really only been proven this season. He has done a lot of flip flopping between League One and League Two, as well as a spell in the SPL. I don't think we are that shy of options.

SkStu
21/02/2019, 1:06 PM
I would be disappointed if I was to miss out on a call up to someone like Will Keane.

Your self-confidence is inspiring Livehead! :D

livehead1
21/02/2019, 3:53 PM
One thing that worries me about him is that he has consistently failed to step up in level in his career. He has no proven record above League One and his League One record has really only been proven this season. He has done a lot of flip flopping between League One and League Two, as well as a spell in the SPL. I don't think we are that shy of options.

I'm hoping more that he's a late bloomer.

livehead1
21/02/2019, 3:54 PM
Your self-confidence is inspiring Livehead! :D

Yes, I probably should have included a pre-amble of "....if I was anywhere near good enough to be a professional footballer..."

pineapple stu
22/02/2019, 11:36 AM
We should start a livehead1 thread in here :)

samhaydenjr
07/04/2019, 4:17 AM
Twenty-second goal of the season for Collins. Unfortunately followed it up with a red card: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47756687

samhaydenjr
25/04/2019, 12:37 AM
Named in the League One team of the season after scoring his 24th of the season on Tuesday: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48039294. Just to give an idea of how good his scoring record is becoming, I just read that, back in January, Billy Sharp became the highest scorer in the English Leagues this century, when he got his 220th a month before his 33rd birthday. Collins, who is 28, is on 137 - if he keeps up his current scoring rate, it's entirely possible that he could catch Sharp's mark - unfortunately, to achieve that milestone, he might be better staying in League One and Two. But let's hope he can do the business in The Championship next season

samhaydenjr
30/04/2019, 1:12 AM
Collins' goal last weekend brought him to 25 for the season, five ahead of anybody else in League One: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%9319_EFL_League_One#Top_scorers - Terry Connor was sent to watch him, so it does look like Mick sees him as an option: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0428/1046196-mccarthy-delighted-for-long-eyeing-hobans-form/