PDA

View Full Version : Kazakhstan V Republic of Ireland - Friday, 7th September 2012 - World Cup 2014 Q

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Noelys Guitar
17/08/2012, 11:36 PM
I believe the starting 11 will be
Westwood
Kelly O'Shea O'Dea Ward
Duff McCarthy Whelan McGeady
Doyle Keane

The opposition are a poor team but I have a horrible feeling about this game. I will really begin to worry if we don't score early and than allow them into the game. Nothing but 3 points will suffice.

NeverFeltBetter
18/08/2012, 12:23 AM
I hope that Whelan will not be included, once other options become avaliable - Gibson, even Andrews. I slightly suspect that Robbie Keane may not have any part to play, due to whatever is going on with him and the manager at the moment, with Cox or Walters to take his place.

Kazackstan are god-awful, so I'm not too worried. It's the distance (16 hours I've read) and the effect that moight have that is preying more on my mind than the quality of the opposition. If Ireland play in any way competently, they'll get three points. If we fail to do that, against fifth seeds, the writing is on the wall for Trapattoni.

tricky_colour
18/08/2012, 1:23 AM
I thought that said Krapistan for a moment, a country we can surely soundly beat!!?

osarusan
18/08/2012, 2:04 AM
Kazakhstan, not Kazackstan.

Noelys Guitar
18/08/2012, 2:49 AM
Hands up I spelt the name offf the country wring.

geysir
18/08/2012, 9:06 AM
Can we beat them if we can't spell their name?
No big deal to misspell Kaz.. (etc), just that it's also misspelled in the thread title.

In the Euro qualifiers, in away games they were only beaten by Turkey and Austria with goals scored in injury time and managed to draw with Austria at home.
3 points (regardless of performance) is a job well done, not to be taken for granted.

the bear
18/08/2012, 9:15 AM
Hands up I spelt the name offf the country wring.

You must of pulled that out of your wring.

AlaskaFox
18/08/2012, 9:50 AM
Can we beat them if we can't spell their name?

Of course we can. Especially with Clarke and McLean in the team.

Murfinator
18/08/2012, 11:29 AM
My kingdom for anyone but Ward at LB.

tetsujin1979
18/08/2012, 11:35 AM
My kingdom for anyone but Ward at LB.Wilson's seriously blotted his copybook this week, Clark isn't playing at left full any more, Kilbane's playing in League One, that leaves, erm, Stephen Kelly?

Murfinator
18/08/2012, 11:40 AM
Wilson's seriously blotted his copybook this week, Clark isn't playing at left full any more, Kilbane's playing in League One, that leaves, erm, Stephen Kelly?

Ian Harte has been the best Irish left back consistently for the past 2 years. If we're completely striking him out of the equation for whatever reason then Kelly out of position is a better option. And League One or not Kilbane is still better, regardless of what league he plays in Ward is no better than League One standard himself.

And given the number of times Wilson has blotted his copybook it must be nothing but pure Ink at this stage. Wouldn't have someone as unreliable as him anywhere near the team.

Colbert Report
18/08/2012, 12:54 PM
I wonder what will happen if Harte scores one or two goals in the two opening matches of the Premier League. Is Trap even aware that he exists? Could be interesting.

boovidge
18/08/2012, 12:57 PM
Guess we could always stick JOSH at left back and play someone else on the right if needs be. Whoever's at LB we should be able to put up a decent enough defense to see of the Kazakhs though, surely? Otherwise just forget it.

Charlie Darwin
18/08/2012, 2:21 PM
It always confuses me when people suggest alternatives for Ward because they're invariably more solid but less mobile/more physical defenders. And in Ian Harte's case, less mobile and less solid. If we ever want to play a modern 433-style system, we need players who can get up and down the pitch at speed and apart from Ward and Coleman we don't have anybody with the physical attributes to do that.

DannyInvincible
18/08/2012, 2:21 PM
I wonder what will happen if Harte scores one or two goals in the two opening matches of the Premier League. Is Trap even aware that he exists? Could be interesting.

Harte claimed Trap didn't know he was Irish last April, but I'm pretty sure Trap is now aware of his existence. Anyway, Harte is exceptionally slow. We'll see how he does defensively in the Premier League at 34...

DannyInvincible
18/08/2012, 2:27 PM
And given the number of times Wilson has blotted his copybook it must be nothing but pure Ink at this stage. Wouldn't have someone as unreliable as him anywhere near the team.

Wasn't your assessment of Wilson as a player who has persistently avoided international football exposed to be somewhat unfair on the player during the week?

Charlie Darwin
18/08/2012, 2:47 PM
Of course we can. Especially with Clarke and McLean in the team.
McLean was chosen ahead of McClean for Sunderland today.

Noelys Guitar
18/08/2012, 2:59 PM
Ward was awful against Leeds today. Doyle played OK but looks to me like he wants to be elsewhere ie back in the Premiership. Long has had a very good first half against Liverpool. Winning a lot of the ball in the air (timing his jumps to perfection). And constantly chasing down the ball and winning 50/50 challenges. Can't understand how Cox is chosen ahead of Long.

IsMiseSean
18/08/2012, 4:20 PM
When is the likely squad announcement?

Noelys Guitar
18/08/2012, 4:22 PM
10 days before the game so should be out Tuesday.

IsMiseSean
18/08/2012, 4:30 PM
Paul Green went off injured for Leeds today. Looked like it might have been ligament damage according to the commentators.

Charlie Darwin
18/08/2012, 4:34 PM
Terrible news for the lad if that's the case after last season. Try to mute your celebrations, people.

tricky_colour
18/08/2012, 4:59 PM
Just because he has damaged ligaments does not mean he can't do a job for us.

Noelys Guitar
18/08/2012, 5:06 PM
He was playing OK until he went off. Didn't realise it was that bad an injury.

IsMiseSean
18/08/2012, 5:18 PM
He was playing OK until he went off. Didn't realise it was that bad an injury.

I can't say for certain it was ligament damage. It's what the co-commentator said it looked like, so let's not panic....

boovidge
18/08/2012, 5:24 PM
I hope that Green is available for selection but that Trap decides against it.

geysir
18/08/2012, 5:25 PM
We would need a Trap diagnosis to be certain.

mark12345
19/08/2012, 5:51 PM
I hope that Whelan will not be included, once other options become avaliable - Gibson, even Andrews. I slightly suspect that Robbie Keane may not have any part to play, due to whatever is going on with him and the manager at the moment, with Cox or Walters to take his place.

Kazackstan are god-awful, so I'm not too worried. It's the distance (16 hours I've read) and the effect that moight have that is preying more on my mind than the quality of the opposition. If Ireland play in any way competently, they'll get three points. If we fail to do that, against fifth seeds, the writing is on the wall for Trapattoni.

DIstance 16 hours?

Must be with a stop over. If it's 5 hours to Ukraine then its only 9 to Kazakstan.

Wonder what's going on with Robbie, and wonder what Sean Long will have in mind by the time the game comes around?

Crosby87
19/08/2012, 6:13 PM
Are the MLS playoffs going to interfere with Robbie coming to Europe?

NeverFeltBetter
19/08/2012, 6:25 PM
If he wants to remain part of the Ireland set-up they better not.

Murfinator
19/08/2012, 9:19 PM
Paul Green went off injured for Leeds today. Looked like it might have been ligament damage according to the commentators.

Have to say general poor attitude in the camp is concerning me right now. The business with Foley's tantrums, the uncertainty around Keane and Dunne, the latest rift with Long, the ongoing saga with Wilson and Pilkington as to whether they even want to play for us or not, the strops of Gibson and rumours of him being on the cusp of walking out during Euro 2012 and the what...7 players who were "injured" on wednesday and fully fit on saturday?

We have a very bad vibe in the camp at the moment with a lot of personalities we could do without. Having the totally committed, model attitudes like Green etc around are really going to be a vital cog to gel this group back together. It isn't good if he isn't available for no other reason than someone else might be selected to fill his squad place who through faking injury / complaining about not being selected / rejecting the callup could damage team morale.

SkStu
19/08/2012, 9:44 PM
I'm absolutely delighted that Green will not be fit for Kazakhstan as it stops Trap from selecting him ahead of far superior players which creates tension & disharmony in the camp and therefore leads to players removing themselves from squads or feigning injuries as a result of their battered morale and the feeling of pointlessness.

pineapple stu
19/08/2012, 9:53 PM
Is anyone actually going to the game? Could be our smallest away support in quite a long, long time.

DannyInvincible
19/08/2012, 10:01 PM
Is anyone actually going to the game?

Fans? Or players? Will be hard getting a team over if we're to listen to some on here! :p

IsMiseSean
20/08/2012, 1:39 PM
Bring the gear bag lads, just in case!!

tetsujin1979
20/08/2012, 2:24 PM
Are the MLS playoffs going to interfere with Robbie coming to Europe?

If he wants to remain part of the Ireland set-up they better not.
it's a competitive international, under FIFA law if he is selected, he has to be released.

swinfordfc
20/08/2012, 3:14 PM
Clark was brutal for Villa on Saturday and should not be playing for Ireland at left back ..... yes to being on the panel but not starting .... not experienced enough yet, the lad has a lot to learn.

Charlie Darwin
20/08/2012, 3:24 PM
He was playing centre half, wasn't he? The tackle that earned him his yellow card was spectacular.

swinfordfc
20/08/2012, 3:29 PM
No left back ... Baker who is a young man was playing alongside Vlaar at central back, cant wait to get Dunne back and Baker to move out to left back.

SolitudeRed
20/08/2012, 7:46 PM
What about this fellah Pearce at reading Is he even eligible anyway? I seem to remember reading on here that he said he wanted to play for Ireland not that there is much chance of him being picked by Trap any time soon!

DannyInvincible
20/08/2012, 7:51 PM
He's definitely eligible through his grandmother.

SolitudeRed
20/08/2012, 8:06 PM
He's definitely eligible through his grandmother.

well according to wiki (which is hardly the most reliable source out there I​know) he has played for Ireland at schoolboy level and reportedly said in 2011 that he has always wanted to play for Ireland, mind you has played U21 for Scotland too which seems to contradict that. Will be interesting to see how he gets on like as we seem to be short of options in defence especially so if Dunne calls it a day!

swinfordfc
20/08/2012, 10:19 PM
He's a decent defender Alex Pearce i think his is full name. Reading have a good scouting system in Ireland in fairest.

ArdeeBhoy
20/08/2012, 10:27 PM
Is anyone actually going to the game? Could be our smallest away support in quite a long, long time.

I know of around 25 people going, so reckon there should be at least 50 there...

Charlie Darwin
20/08/2012, 10:35 PM
He's a decent defender Alex Pearce i think his is full name. Reading have a good scouting system in Ireland in fairest.
He was born in England though.

Crosby87
21/08/2012, 1:07 AM

Well, they do have 3 main problems there; social, economic and Jew, according to a documentary I once saw.

ArdeeBhoy
21/08/2012, 9:37 AM
Meaning a sh*t Borat movie?

peadar1987
21/08/2012, 10:51 AM
Meaning a sh*t Borat movie?

I thought it was very nice.

paul_oshea
21/08/2012, 10:58 AM

I'm going! And another london based lad.

OwlsFan
21/08/2012, 11:20 AM
Neil Warnock has told the Daily Mirror Paul Green's injury is "worse than we thought" and Leeds will be without the ex Derby and Doncaster man for several weeks. Green pulled up with a knee injury late on in the first half during Saturday's win over Wolves and faces an early spell on the sidelines. Green missed seven months whilst at Derby with cruciate ligament damage and now seems set to spend a spell on the sidelines at his new club!

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/leedsunited/fb_news.php?storyid=17915&title=green_injury_worse_than_we_thought_