PDA

View Full Version : I'm currently listening to

sadloserkid
25/08/2004, 11:54 AM
I know I started a thread on this a while back but I couldn't be bothered trawling back through God knows how many pages to find it now. So here goes...

1. Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue
Pop-punk/emo type thing. One of them plays a violin which adds a bit of a twist to the mix.

2. Funeral For A Friend - Casually Dressed And Deep In Conversation
A kinda metally young band from Wales I think who have a kinda emocore vibe as well.

3. Lostprophets - Start Something
Welsh noisemakers. When they sometimes do comparatively mellow they do it very, very well. When they do loud they're decent too.

4. Dashboard Confessional - A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar
Not as good as their previous effort but solid enough. The first song ('Hands Down') is great

5. Something Corporate - North
Pop-punk/emo type thing. One of them plays a piano which adds a bit of a twist to the mix. It's a grower.

6. Less Than Jake - Greased
Less Than Jake covering the songs from 'Grease'. As dumb and as fun as it sounds really.

Pat O' Banton
25/08/2004, 12:29 PM
Definetly, Maybe - Oasis in the office at work.

Best of the Pixies - The Pixies at home

a bit of Siamese Dreams - the Smashing Pumpkins. touch of class

Roo69
25/08/2004, 12:59 PM
In the car at present are:

Supergrass: Best of - 10 years

Doves: Lost Souls

Elbow: Cast of Thousands

Muse: Absolution

The White Stripes: Elephant

Snow Patrol: Final Straw

All top notch albums !

Bowsy
25/08/2004, 1:09 PM
Currently most played on my ipod are...

The Hives - Tyrannasaurus Hives

Simple Kid - 1

Eels - Daisys of the Galaxy (hadn't listened to it for a long while but great album)

Kent - Hagnesta Hill

Soulwax - Much Against Everyone's Advice

Roo69
25/08/2004, 1:13 PM
Soulwax - Much Against Everyone's Advice

Whats that album like ? heard a few bits by them sounds sounds pretty god, worth buying ?

green goblin
25/08/2004, 1:19 PM
The Eels- Beautiful Freak.
Michael Nyman- The Piano soundtrack.
Ivor Cutler- Memoirs of a Scotch Sitting Room Vol II.
Johnny Cash- God, Death, Murder.
Various Artists- Who is Doctor Who?
Original Cast- Doctor Who:Death Comes to Time.
The Go-Go's- Beyond the Valley of the Go-Go's.

Hmmm. Nothing made in the past five years. Worrying...

noby
25/08/2004, 1:27 PM
The Magnetic Fields (name of album escapes me)
Trojan skinhead reggae box set
Smiths - Louder than bombs
Boo Radleys - Giant Steps
Merton Parkas - Complete Mod Set

Pop-punk/emo type thing.

At the risk of sounding not 'with-it', what's emo?

Pauro 76
25/08/2004, 1:37 PM
Most played on my mini-disc player....

Muse - Absolution (Butterflies and Hurricanes, one of their finest tracks ever)
The White Stripes - Elephant
Bell XI - Music in Mouth (Class act, loved the ****-take line, Your paying the ferryman, even though Chris says no)
Hope of the States - The Lost Riots (never heard of them, till a mate lent me the album, completely blew me away)
Keane - Hopes and Fears (a surprisingly good album)
Snow Patrol - Final Straw
Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power

tetsujin1979
25/08/2004, 2:01 PM
Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue - Just picked it up last weekend, listened to them a bit in the states. Not bad, not bad at all.
Stone Roses - Best Of
Thrice - Artist in the Ambulance - Hard rocking Yanks.
50 Cent - Get Rich or die tryin'
The Devlins - Waves
Maroon 5 - Songs about Jane

sadloserkid
25/08/2004, 2:39 PM
At the risk of sounding not 'with-it', what's emo?

For a defintion of emo click here (http://altmusic.about.com/library/weekly/aabyb_emo.htm)

It's short for emotional too apparently and ignore the bit at the end slamming the newer emo bands for drifting towards the pop/punk side of things, some of the best emo bands have emerged in the last few years.

Supersonic_779
25/08/2004, 2:49 PM
Definetly, Maybe - Oasis in the office at work.

a bit of Siamese Dreams - the Smashing Pumpkins. touch of class

The man has taste ;)

Bowsy
25/08/2004, 3:48 PM
Whats that album like ? heard a few bits by them sounds sounds pretty god, worth buying ?

I would recommend it. I just bought it on the strength of the title track which i thought was brilliant. Bit of a mixture of tunes but if you've liked what you've heard so far i think you'll like the album. Have just ordered their new album too. Their mix album "Too many DJs" is quality too.

sylvo
26/08/2004, 10:01 AM
The Eels- Beautiful Freak.
Michael Nyman- The Piano soundtrack.
Ivor Cutler- Memoirs of a Scotch Sitting Room Vol II.
Johnny Cash- God, Death, Murder.
Various Artists- Who is Doctor Who?
Original Cast- Doctor Who:Death Comes to Time.
The Go-Go's- Beyond the Valley of the Go-Go's.

Hmmm. Nothing made in the past five years. Worrying...

It is indeed, the only recent CD i've bought by someone new is The Street's.

Pauro 76
26/08/2004, 10:15 AM

Same here, mostly burn cds off mates. In fact libraries over here have great record collections, thinking of joining, and never having to buy a CD again! Actually i reckon The Streets newest CD is a bit overated by the way. Original Pirate Material was class, but the second one doesnt really live up to the hype, even though "Dry Your Eyes" is a great single.

an 'rock'
26/08/2004, 10:17 AM
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Ten years after

Janis joplin

Richie Havens

Kíla

Afro Celts

Asian Dub Foundation

I'm in Wales and thankfully the virus emo that is rampent in Britian has not yet infected the emerald isle.

Emotional Punk (emo for short) is an oximoran! Punk is not about emotion it about a pure release of adrenaline of eurphoria.

The emo kids are a group who all dress the same, have the same hair, talk the same, use the same phrases, all to prove how individual they are!

Their costumes consist of a musically credible bands tshirt (bought in topman or burtons!), a studded belt, a tennis wrist band and jeans worn below the arse with boxers hanging out!

sylvo
26/08/2004, 10:45 AM
Same here, mostly burn cds off mates. In fact libraries over here have great record collections, thinking of joining, and never having to buy a CD again! Actually i reckon The Streets newest CD is a bit overated by the way. Original Pirate Material was class, but the second one doesnt really live up to the hype, even though "Dry Your Eyes" is a great single.

To right, Original pirate material was a touch of class, can't take ''Dry yer eye's'' serious anymore after being over in Ireland with Today fm playing in the car and that send up of the song about Beckham missing penalty's and the Dry yer eye's bit being song by someone taking off Roy Keane's voice. :D

Currantly listening to

Echo and the Bunnymen, Ocean rain

Jesus and Mary Chain, Psyco Candy

Definitely Maybe , Oasis

Anything at all by the Pixies

AND The Stone Roses.

sadloserkid
26/08/2004, 11:16 AM
The emo kids are a group who all dress the same, have the same hair, talk the same, use the same phrases, all to prove how individual they are!

Their costumes consist of a musically credible bands tshirt (bought in topman or burtons!), a studded belt, a tennis wrist band and jeans worn below the arse with boxers hanging out!

As opposed to every other scene where everybody looks totally different is it??? :rolleyes:

And as somebody who listens to some emo (I suppose I could be called a fan) I wear football shirts, no belts or wristbands, real runners as opposed to converse crap and have very un-emo long hair. So there goes your little theory out the window now huh? :) Though I will own up to absurdly baggy jeans and chords. :p

Emo is like any other scene of the last God knows how many years. Nu-metal, grunge, Brit-pop, that awful dance phase, hair metal and anything else. The majority of people who are 'into' a scene are just chancers looking for a group to belong to but the emo kids are no different to anybody else. 80% of rock fans are just trendy wannabes anyway and that goes all the way back, including the original punks (Sid Vicious anyone?).

an 'rock'
26/08/2004, 11:31 AM
I agree with what you're saying but you're missing my point,

Emo is a buzz word, just like Brit pop in its day. The music(well some of it, most of the new stuff is very generic!) is not the issue, the kids are. The reason they bother me, more than the 16 year old goth trying to **** mammy off is that Wales and England are swamped with them at the moment. I'm sure that in a years time I'll have another click to annoy me, but for now let me have my rant!!!!

sadloserkid
26/08/2004, 11:33 AM
I'm sure that in a years time I'll have another click to annoy me, but for now let me have my rant!!!!

Fair enough my son, rant on! :D

green goblin
26/08/2004, 3:30 PM
Love the Streets, Sylvo. Not listening to them at the mo' though. I know he's got that whole 'talking over the top of a record' thing covered, but it's still genius. Last cd I actually bought was the Polyphonic Spree. It's.. it's kind of OK. Very very funny live, though.

green goblin
26/08/2004, 3:33 PM
As opposed to every other scene where everybody looks totally different is it???

"I don't wanna to be like everyone else. That's why I'm a Mod". Jimmy (Phil Daniels) Quadrophenia. :)

Closed Account 2
26/08/2004, 5:28 PM
Bruce Springsteen. A true legend!

sylvo
27/08/2004, 10:42 PM
Love the Streets, Sylvo. Not listening to them at the mo' though. I know he's got that whole 'talking over the top of a record' thing covered, but it's still genius. Last cd I actually bought was the Polyphonic Spree. It's.. it's kind of OK. Very very funny live, though.

That must be a right old crush on stage with them when they play live. :cool:
Christened this mad old woman who drink's in one of the local pub's ''Soldier girl'' due to her mad jumping around and clapping every time there's a band on and her long baggy white coat set's the look off to a tee.

green goblin
01/09/2004, 8:37 AM
That must be a right old crush on stage with them when they play live. :cool:
Christened this mad old woman who drink's in one of the local pub's ''Soldier girl'' due to her mad jumping around and clapping every time there's a band on and her long baggy white coat set's the look off to a tee.
We had a nutter in a local pub in Hull called Clapper, on account of his constant cheerful clapping. He once sang the Perry Como classic "Things we used to do" for 40 minutes using only the word 'kiss' for every word of the song.

whattheheck
02/09/2004, 12:17 AM
seen morrissey at weekend, very good. played a good few oldies

joeSoap
02/09/2004, 9:01 AM
seen morrissey at weekend, very good. played a good few oldies
Where did you see him? I saw him at Dublin Castle recently, and he played nothing but new stuff, and only two oldies. Was very very disappointed. :(