PDA

View Full Version : Darren Potter

tetsujin1979
25/08/2004, 10:58 AM
from liverpoolfc.tv
Darren Potter admitted to having mixed emotions after making his full debut for the Reds in last night's disappointing Champions League defeat to Graz AK.
The 19-year old Academy graduate turned in an accomplished performance on the right of midfield in his first senior start for the Reds but his personal joy was tempered by the result against the Austrian double winners.

"I wasn't too nervous. The boss told me the day before that I'd be playing so I had time to prepare myself," Potter told Liverpoolfc.tv afterwards.

"I thought it went quite well and it was a great experience to finally play in front of a packed house at Anfield. The lads helped me through and I felt really comfortable out there.

"But the result was disappointing and the mood in the dressing room was one of relief at the end. It was a bit nerve-racking late in the game when Graz pushed forward but thankfully we held on.

"It's great for the club to be back in the Champions League. That's the best competition there is and hopefully I can play a part in it. I'm not one to make predictions though and we'll have to see what the future holds."

tiktok
25/08/2004, 11:03 AM
Stupid post alert!! :eek:

Is this kid definitely going to declare for us? :o

NeilMcD
25/08/2004, 11:07 AM
Well he played in U21 match against Bulgaria and looks like he wants to play for us, so see no reason why he should change his mind

Peadar
25/08/2004, 11:07 AM
Is this kid definitely going to declare for us? :o

He stuck his colours to the mast a long time ago.
There's no reason for him to change now.

pete
25/08/2004, 11:11 AM
Just waiting for the "...why hasn't Kerr called him up post..."

Bowsy
25/08/2004, 11:51 AM
After being in the Irish underage set up for several years i would be very surprised if he switched at this stage and if he does it's disappointing but what are you going to do. Didn't see last night's game but have been really impressed every time i have watched this lad. I think he's got a big future and will be capped when he proves himself. Of course you'll have the "he should start ahead of Holland, Kilbane, etc" posee just like John O'Shea should have gone to Japan/Korea 2002 apparently. :rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
25/08/2004, 11:54 AM
See below from the "old" FAI website:

http://www.fai.ie/NR/exeres/2272B994-0B70-4D03-8E32-0C98AE2F770A.htm

Looks like he's with us for the long haul.

tiktok
25/08/2004, 12:44 PM
Cheers, as I said, stupid post alert. :o

I'd heard his name bandied about a lot, but didn't realise he'd been through he underage ranks.

Rathfarnham Utd
25/08/2004, 2:09 PM
from liverpoolfc.tv
Darren Potter admitted to having mixed emotions after making his full debut for the Reds in last night's disappointing Champions League defeat to Graz AK.

Jez, I'ld have mixed emotions turning out for that shower. Wasn't it Davros who said they would "set Europe alight"...does he mean the supporters??! :D

blobbyblob
26/08/2004, 4:29 PM
Well according to the brand spanking new FAI website, Darren Potter hasnt even been born yet. Thats one dynamic website alright and Potter must be some prospect.

Darren Potter (Liverpool)
Born: 21/12/04

Pablo
27/08/2004, 6:07 PM
Well according to the brand spanking new FAI website, Darren Potter hasnt even been born yet. Thats one dynamic website alright and Potter must be some prospect.

Darren Potter (Liverpool)
Born: 21/12/04

Sure he's one for the future ;)

He's English isn't he?

;)

tricky_colour
27/08/2004, 10:19 PM
I read mixed reports abouit his performance on the night.
Some said he looked nervous, others said he didn't,
a mixed bag of reviews too.

On the Liverpool site he was not in the top 3 for MOM
but he wasn't in the bottom 4 either, so a fair start
you could say.

DolansWaistcoat
28/08/2004, 11:27 AM
lads he is 100% irish

Really the same way the burgers in McDonalds are 100% pure irish beef,is it! ;) :D

Good to see him get a chance at liverpool.Lets hope he's not another Richie Partridge though and that he can make a good impression at liverpool and gets a proper go.With all the spainiards heading to Anfield these days Darren must feel like he's on hols in Santa Ponsa again.

4tothefloor
28/08/2004, 1:38 PM
I have to say I saw very few Spaniards when I was in Santa Ponsa all those years ago. Most were from the Nortside of Dublin, which is why we spent most of our time in nearby Magaluf - the last thing you want when you go on holidays to Spain is to be surrounded by Dubs in their Celtic regatta :eek:

blobbyblob
28/08/2004, 3:32 PM
Dubs in their Celtic regatta :eek:

How did they get the boats over?

tetsujin1979
03/07/2009, 9:39 AM
Darren Potter set to sign for Sheffield Wednesday: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11699_5411709,00.html

OwlsFan
03/07/2009, 2:38 PM
Darren Potter set to sign for Sheffield Wednesday: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11699_5411709,00.html

He's been on loan there. Great start but was in and out of the team later on in the season.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/18/article-0-031676BB000005DC-929_468x308.jpg

OwlsFan
25/06/2011, 4:14 PM
Gone to MK Dons I think.

geysir
28/06/2011, 7:06 PM
That's a step up the league :)
so it's all good for Darren.

ArdeeBhoy
28/06/2011, 8:13 PM
They're in the same division. And a fake 'club' to boot. Shame it had to be them.

amaccann
28/06/2011, 10:49 PM
Bloody Nora; feels like a century ago since Potter arrived on the scene during those crazy Staunton days. Hard to credit that's more than 4 years ago now, it seems like yesterday

the bear
29/06/2011, 9:21 PM
Bloody Nora; feels like a century ago since Potter arrived on the scene during those crazy Staunton days. Hard to credit that's more than 4 years ago now, it seems like yesterday

thats the most confusing sentence ive read in in the last few days/this century

Charlie Darwin
30/06/2011, 12:25 AM
One day, four years and 100 years all feel like exactly the same amount of time. What's so hard to understand about that?

the bear
30/06/2011, 5:10 PM
One day, four years and 100 years all feel like exactly the same amount of time. What's so hard to understand about that?

i suppose that sums up stauntons reign fairly accurately

Charlie Darwin
26/01/2013, 3:24 PM
Just scored to put MK Dons 4-0 (!!) up away to QPR in the FA Cup.

pineapple stu
17/11/2020, 4:52 PM
Has retired (https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/1117/1178777-ex-ireland-midfielder-potter-announces-retirement/).

I hadn't realised he was still playing to be honest.

There's one of your more underwhelming careers (even if it has to be noted he did make a career of it). Statistically, some of our current crop of promising youngsters are going to go down the exact same path unfortunately.

youngirish
17/11/2020, 5:02 PM
Has retired (https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/1117/1178777-ex-ireland-midfielder-potter-announces-retirement/).

There's one of your more underwhelming careers (even if it has to be noted he did make a career of it). Statistically, some of our current crop of promising youngsters are going to go down the exact same path unfortunately.

Sobering thought. According to that article this guy had 17 appearances at Liverpool by the time he was 22. Arguably with those stats he looked a more promising prospect than any of the current crop yet never achieved anything of note.

seanfhear
17/11/2020, 7:17 PM
Sobering thought. According to that article this guy had 17 appearances at Liverpool by the time he was 22. Arguably with those stats he looked a more promising prospect than any of the current crop yet never achieved anything of note.
Getting carries away with the latest Great Hope is all we have at the moment but history has warned us many many times !

elatedscum
17/11/2020, 7:36 PM
Really think he was a player who was overlooked during Trap’s reign. Was unfortunate to drop down to league 1 and was generally regarded as the best midfielder playing in the league

Stuttgart88
18/11/2020, 8:08 AM
Proper midfielder too. Head up, got involved, good passing, could shoot. Classic case of where he was playing rather than an objective assessment of his ability.

seanfhear
18/11/2020, 8:15 AM
Proper midfielder too. Head up, got involved, good passing, could shoot. Classic case of where he was playing rather than an objective assessment of his ability.
And for some unknown reason Clubs higher up the leagues would not buy this player ! ! !

paul_oshea
18/11/2020, 8:26 AM

Exactly, so dont be saying about giving time for the young lads to come through. 1-2 players max usually come from one underage group. So far we have connolly, molumby as somewhat regular now. Theres parrott and knight too, perhaps O'shea,but a lot of things can happen. IF we got all 5 of those and their contributing, not in the way of Conor Hourihane, then we are doing exceptionally well, but we can't hold out on that hope, and kick the can down the road.

seanfhear
18/11/2020, 9:14 AM
Exactly, so dont be saying about giving time for the young lads to come through. 1-2 players max usually come from one underage group. So far we have connolly, molumby as somewhat regular now. Theres parrott and knight too, perhaps O'shea,but a lot of things can happen. IF we got all 5 of those and their contributing, not in the way of Conor Hourihane, then we are doing exceptionally well, but we can't hold out on that hope, and kick the can down the road.
We hope for the best from Parrot and for the lad himself but what has he done in senior football yet ?

ColourfulPeanut
18/11/2020, 10:27 AM
I do think this is a particularly talented group we have though. The last 21s group was dire and we still managed to get Cullen and Manning out of it. I don't think it's unreasonable we'll get a lot more internationals from this one.

There's a void of players born between 1993-1998 in our squad and is a good reason as to why we're struggling so much now.

Potter had a decent career. Obviously didn't fulfil the promise we believed he had but was a solid lower league player, who never played below League 1. Given we have multiple League 1 and LOI players in the squad now, if he were in his prime now he'd likely be about the squad anyway.

Stuttgart88
18/11/2020, 11:01 AM
And for some unknown reason Clubs higher up the leagues would not buy this player ! ! !Not the point. Our midfield was largely dysfunctional around this time and having a midfielder who does the nuts and bolts well can benefit the team. I'm not saying that if you field a team of League 1 players you'll be competitive but I think if you field one or two League 1 players whose attributes complement the others then you may gain something. Again, good second tier European international teams often contain players not playing what you'd consider an elite level of football, often quite far away from it even.

pineapple stu
18/11/2020, 11:05 AM
Potter had a decent career. Obviously didn't fulfil the promise we believed he had but was a solid lower league player, who never played below League 1. Given we have multiple League 1 and LOI players in the squad now, if he were in his prime now he'd likely be about the squad anyway.
He probably would, but then we don't want our squad to be as bad as it is now. We need the young players coming through to reach a higher level than Potter, and his example shows that you can't really count your chickens before they hatch. Not all of them will make it to the required level for us to be competitive again.

tetsujin1979
18/11/2020, 11:09 AM
Not the point. Our midfield was largely dysfunctional around this time and having a midfielder who does the nuts and bolts well can benefit the team. I'm not saying that if you field a team of League 1 players you'll be competitive but I think if you field one or two League 1 players whose attributes complement the others then you may gain something. Again, good second tier European international teams often contain players not playing what you'd consider an elite level of football, often quite far away from it even.

We had Whelan, Green, and Andrews at the time. The very definition of "nuts and bolts". What we needed was a creative spark in centre midfielder. Steven Reid was a massive loss to us.

Stuttgart88
18/11/2020, 11:16 AM
We had Whelan, Green, and Andrews at the time. The very definition of "nuts and bolts". What we needed was a creative spark in centre midfielder. Steven Reid was a massive loss to us.
He was.

Potter was different type of player than Andrews, more composed, more fluid. Potter could keep the ball moving, a very important part of a functioning midfield. I thought he did well when he played for us. Whelan was often criticised for moving it too slowly. I think Cullen today has similar attributes to Potter and I think a player like him is quite valuable to a team.

Eminence Grise
18/11/2020, 12:39 PM

And Stephen Ireland. The very definition of a nut who bolted.:rolleyes:

zero
18/11/2020, 2:17 PM
He was.

Potter was different type of player than Andrews, more composed, more fluid. Potter could keep the ball moving, a very important part of a functioning midfield. I thought he did well when he played for us. Whelan was often criticised for moving it too slowly. I think Cullen today has similar attributes to Potter and I think a player like him is quite valuable to a team.

Hendrick reminds me a lot of Andrews. Doesn't pick up many injuries, gets the very odd goal and runs about a lot. An effective player but not a creator.

John83
18/11/2020, 4:27 PM
Hendrick reminds me a lot of Andrews. Doesn't pick up many injuries, gets the very odd goal and runs about a lot. An effective player but not a creator.
A lot of players like that rise or sink to the level of the players around them, I think.

tetsujin1979
22/11/2020, 5:24 PM
Good interview on the42.ie today: https://www.the42.ie/darren-potter-retirement-interview-5273067-Nov2020/