PDA

View Full Version : Eircom League article from Soccernet.com

SunnySweeney
24/08/2004, 4:19 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=308063&cc=5739

some very good points in this article - including the one below

Even the Irish Prime Minister himself persuaded the local version of 'Match of the Day' to grant him an appearance on the show so he could wax lyrical about his love of Manchester United. Imagine, if you will, the reaction in England if Tony Blair appeared on national television to reveal to the country that he was a Bayern Munich fan and had no interest in local football!

Colm
24/08/2004, 5:06 PM
If we guaged our politicians by their attitude to the eircom League, only Martin McGuinness and a few Shinners emerge with any real credit on this island...

Why? What team does McGuinness support? :confused:

I'd say that despite all their "patriotic" talk Sinn Fein have about as much interest in the EL as the rest of our politicians!

TheSaint2002
24/08/2004, 5:38 PM
I could be wrong but didnt SF vote against the Tallaght Stadium in the South Dub county council :confused:

bert
24/08/2004, 6:21 PM
Why? What team does McGuinness support? :confused:

I'd say that despite all their "patriotic" talk Sinn Fein have about as much interest in the EL as the rest of our politicians!

SF councillor Jonathan O'Brien, I think his name is, is a regular at the cross and I think I've seen him at afew away games as well.

Colm
24/08/2004, 6:26 PM
SF councillor Jonathan O'Brien, I think his name is, is a regular at the cross and I think I've seen him at a few away games as well.

Yeah, I think he even went on a bus trip at some stage this season.

The thing is though, he's supporting Cork City as an individual, nothing to do with his alliegances to SF. I'm not having a go at SF in this instance but I'm just saying that, to the best of my knowledge, they do no more or no less for the EL than any other political party.

pineapple stu
24/08/2004, 6:30 PM
the teletext service of the national broadcaster often seems incapable of reporting results correctly.

:D :rolleyes:

Fairly accurate article, all told. Seems to be a fairly common attitude in England to wonder why we all fawn around a foreign league?

Pablo
27/08/2004, 6:10 PM
Connor Bertie is a Dick get over it :)

ShelsTim
28/08/2004, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I think he even went on a bus trip at some stage this season.

The thing is though, he's supporting Cork City as an individual, nothing to do with his alliegances to SF. I'm not having a go at SF in this instance but I'm just saying that, to the best of my knowledge, they do no more or no less for the EL than any other political party.

Are you sure? Anyone got a spare manifesto on them? Though if FF's manifesto is anything to go by, SF's could say they want to re-join the commonwealth.

A face
28/08/2004, 1:11 AM
Also heard some story about him defusing a bomb near the Brandywell to prevent the postponement of a game

Was it the red wire or the blue wire ..... sheeze .. fair play to the fella anyway !! :)

A real peoples party !! :D

patsh
28/08/2004, 12:10 PM
Yawn, a point that has been made so many times before.

If we guaged our politicians by their attitude to the eircom League, only Martin McGuinness and a few Shinners emerge with any real credit on this island...And it should be made again and again. If this clown didn't constantly try to portray himself as sports mad and a big soccer fan, it would be no big deal. But when he is seen more often in Parkhead and Old Trafford, yet ignores the team in his own constituency, he deserves the ridicule he brings on himself. He is nothing but a bluffer, a liar and a fool.

thejollyrodger
28/08/2004, 2:24 PM
Deportivo La Coruña 3-0 Shelbourne: FT Report
PA
Shelbourne's Champions League adventure ended as they fell to a 3-0 defeat against last season's semi-finalists Deportivo La Coruna.

Deportivo reached the group stages for the fifth successive season courtesy of a second half double by Victor Sanchez and a late free-kick by Walter Pandiani.

But they were made to struggle in a nervy first half during which the eircom League side matched their more illustrious opponents.

Shelbourne were expecting a difficult opening as Deportivo looked to grab an early goal to settle the nerves of their fans and the opening minutes of the match went entirely to script.

Juan Valeron shot straight at Steve Williams within 90 seconds of the opening while Williams was again called into action to stop a powerful Albert Luque shot which almost beat the goalkeeper at his near post after the winger had slipped into the penalty area unnoticed.

Luque then hit the sidenetting with a viciously curling free-kick in the 13th minute.

But at this stage Shelbourne were defending well - allowing the Spanish side possession but nicking in quickly to dispossess them any time they came close to their goal.

Even when Deportivo did threaten to open up the Shelbourne defence, the Irish side's defenders made fine tackles, most notably when Owen Heary and then Jamie Harris thwarted the lively Luque.

Shelbourne's solidity made Deportivo increasingly nervous and too often they lost possession carelessly and were almost punished by the Dubliners in the 25th minute.

Ollie Cahill did well on the left wing, racing to the by-line before crossing to Jason Byrne - who headed straight at Jose Molina after momentarily wriggling free of Jorge Andrade's tight marking.

The home side continued to be frustrated with Pandiani firing well wide in the 38th minute, before Shelbourne gave them another scare moments later when Andrade cleared the ball from out of his goalkeeper's hands when a Harris header threatened to fall for Jason Byrne.

But Deportivo finished the half the stronger of the two sides with Dave Rogers conceding a corner with Pandiani close to getting on the end of a Luque cross, before Pandiani was just over with a snapshot.

The Spaniards started the second half in the same vein, though once more Shelbourne defended strongly conceding ground on the wings but defending any crosses very well.

However, they were almost punished in the 58th minute when Sergio Sanchez's cross picked out Pandiani - who headed only inches wide with Williams beaten.

But less than 60 seconds later, Deportivo were in front.

Shelbourne were caught in possession deep in their own half allowing Victor to race in and beat Williams at his near post with a low angled drive from the edge of the area.

Seven minutes later, Victor grabbed his second with a wonderful 35-yard strike which gave Williams no chance and from then on, a Shelbourne comeback looked unlikely.

Byrne went close with a deft lob which drifted wide after a mistake by Aldo Duscher allowed him a clear run on goal, before the Spaniards wrapped up the game when Pandiani scored with a deftly curling free-kick with two minutes remaining.

The game ended on a sour note for Shelbourne as manager Pat Fenlon was ordered from the dugout and Alan Moore was sent off for a second booking.

thecorner
28/08/2004, 10:17 PM
SF councillor Jonathan O'Brien, I think his name is, is a regular at the cross and I think I've seen him at afew away games as well.

johnathon was on the bus to drogs and waterford this season

dortie
30/08/2004, 9:14 AM
Martin McGuinness does attend the Brandywell, Eamon McCann never misses a game though.

corkharps
30/08/2004, 9:26 AM
Martin McGuinness does attend the Brandywell, Eamon McCann never misses a game though.
And John Hume pays the bills!

Albert
30/08/2004, 10:45 AM
I know several politicians who support local clubs on a personal level, but to be fair they may not be at every game as unlike the SF boys some of them actually have some work to be doing... :D

dortie
30/08/2004, 10:52 AM
And John Hume pays the bills!

Organised 3 friendlies the good man he is. The People of Derry pay'd the bills by buying a ticket.

Its called 'Big crowds' something Finn Harps dont experience unless you play us.

gspain
30/08/2004, 12:02 PM
I'm no fan of Bertie's but he used to support Drumcondra as was a regular at Drums games at Tolka.

BTW he also supports Hull City, Celtic and used to support Chelsea so it looks like the most cunning and devious of them all learned well from his master .

Plenty of politicians show their faces when big crowds are expected

The late Mick Lipper TD played for Limerick and Transport and often attended games.

The late Brian Lenihan was at a Pats v Limerick game on a wednesday faternoon in April 87 along with 200 others - no votes to be gained there - it was a key match for us to avoid relegation but a nothing game for Pats. He also played for Ireland at amateur level

pete
30/08/2004, 12:30 PM
BTW he also supports Hull City, Celtic and used to support Chelsea so it looks like the most cunning and devious of them all learned well from his master.

Did he also support Wolves? (when Robbie Keane there)