PDA

View Full Version : Best of luck to Deportivo from the Rebel Army!

Pages : [1] 2

Colm
24/08/2004, 2:57 PM
On behalf of the vast majority of members of the Rebel Army, I would like to take this oppurtunity to wish Deportivo the best of luck against the Tolka Thugs tonight.

From a Cork City point of view, the worst possible scenario is that Shels qualify for the group stages and I'm pretty sure that most of us would be distressed to see Ollie Byrne's pockets being lined even further.

Please feel free to add your messages of goodwill for our Spanish friends below....

FORZA DEPOR! :) :cool:

cathal
24/08/2004, 3:03 PM
why the chip? :confused:

personally I don't give a shet if shels win or not. they probably won't but if they do fair play

why should it bother you and in whose name makes you a majority representive of the "Rebel army" ?

we should be looking at shels and asking why can't we be in the position they are in both domestic and european football.

shouldn't that be the real issue

thecorner
24/08/2004, 3:04 PM
ya,best of luck to depor

dont forsee many problems ahead though

adamcarr
24/08/2004, 3:32 PM
Best of Luck Depor. Disgrace $hel$ Please!!

Colm
24/08/2004, 3:36 PM
why the chip? :confused:

personally I don't give a shet if shels win or not. they probably won't but if they do fair play

why should it bother you and in whose name makes you a majority representive of the "Rebel army"

Well I've spoken to a hell of a lot of City fans in the last few weeks and each and every one of them is hoping Shels get knocked out, a lot of them actually hope that Shels are well and truly humiliated.

personally I don't give a shet if shels win or not.

Dalo, you're the won who keeps going on about how you only support City in the hope we win a league title. If Shels get through, it will be many years before we even come close to winning the league. They would stand to make between 4 and 10 million, more than enough money to dominate the el for a couple of seasons at least. Therefore, as a City fan you should be praying that Shels get knocked out tonight.
All of that and the fact that Ollie Byrne is a corrupt scumbag, their players are thugs and they've got no fans. Horrible club, rotten from the chairman down!

thecorner
24/08/2004, 3:38 PM
a lot of them actually hope that Shels are well and truly humiliated.

!

PUT ME IN THAT CATEGORY ;)

pete
24/08/2004, 3:56 PM
Kinda hard to cheer against an irish team but the hard reality is that whatever slim hope we of winning league now that it would be zero chance if shels got 3-5m windwall. If they were to invest in a ground would be ok would reality is that Oily would draw in the leagues best.

Besides i don't see the league benefitting from shels success - IMO ain't gonna much if any extra support to the grounds. Will mean people flock to shels euro games & watch on tv but thats all...

0-0 draw out on penalties or extra time would do nicely (for coefficient)

Storysham
24/08/2004, 5:07 PM
Shels are 20 -1 to win, worst odds i think ive seen

Colm
24/08/2004, 5:13 PM
Shels are 20 -1 to win, worst odds i think ive seen

Yeah, 20-1 to win tonights game and 7-1 just to get through in Cashmans.
I was thinking about putting a few quid on but I might end up finding myself rooting for them if I did!

exile
24/08/2004, 5:40 PM
as im livivng in dublin i hope they get hopped off of 10-0

thecorner
24/08/2004, 5:54 PM
as im livivng in dublin i hope they get hopped off of 10-0

fair play exile

patsh
24/08/2004, 6:23 PM
Just saw a preview of the game on Sky news.....

They seem to have more fans in Coruna than they get in Drumcondra....:rolleyes:

Also heard a fantastically funny quote form Yamonn Dumpy " $h£l$ do things the right way, and I don't think other clubs do"
Just goes to prove what a little assh*le that pr*ck is......
Normally I'd love to see an Irish club do well, and on one level I still want them to do well, but realistically
1. Will them doing well do anything for the eL?
TBH, I can't see how it will.
2. Will they bring an extra fans in the gate?
Well last week, they managed all of 40 or 50 on a Saturday down to the Cross, so don't see any big plus there.
3. They do have some genuine and very decent fans
For their sake I'd like to see something to bring pride in being an eL club supporter, but f*ck the bandwagon jumpers and event junkies.
4. They will get a lot of money
Well NO fan of a rival club really wants to see that.

Ahhhh, conflicted!

Hmmmmm, I hope Depor win by a single goal.......

Colm
24/08/2004, 6:32 PM
Just saw a preview of the game on Sky news.....

They seem to have more fans in Coruna than they get in Drumcondra....:rolleyes:

Yeah, I saw that aswell.
I reckon they'll have a hardcore support of about 250-300 there and that it will be swelled significantly by bandwagon jumpers, junketeers and maybe Irish people living/holidaying in the locality.

OneRedArmy
24/08/2004, 7:44 PM
Yeah, I saw that aswell.
I reckon they'll have a hardcore support of about 250-300 there and that it will be swelled significantly by bandwagon jumpers, junketeers and maybe Irish people living/holidaying in the locality.

Whereas your 500 odd Inter Toto fans hadn't missed a game all season?! I`d wait & see how many you bring up to Derry before you throw the bandwagon accusations about. I`d say 30 made it last time, for the record.

Fair_play_boy
24/08/2004, 7:59 PM
Half time. Looks like the ref isn't taking any of the physical sh1t from $H€£$. Three yellows already I think.

thecorner
24/08/2004, 9:04 PM
perfect night

3-0

man sent off

heres to hoping they draw millwall in the uefa cup

ccfcgirl
24/08/2004, 9:14 PM
"They seem to have more fans in Coruna than they get in Drumcondra.... "

NETWORK 2 SAID AROUND 1000 fans

patsh
24/08/2004, 9:51 PM
Whereas your 500 odd Inter Toto fans hadn't missed a game all season?! I`d wait & see how many you bring up to Derry before you throw the bandwagon accusations about. I`d say 30 made it last time, for the record.1. Having 30 fans travel the length of the country on a two day trip isn't bad.
2. Thats about 25 more than came down here from Derry.
3. If no bandwagon jumpers are involved, how come they get pathetic crowds at Tolka Park? (Brandywell not much better...)

Good to see the Ref not letting Nuttsy and his hard men away with the kind of sh*t they get away with week in, week out here.

blobbyblob
24/08/2004, 10:04 PM
So tired of this rubbish. Cork had their run in the Inter Toto and the country got behind them. They and their supporters did the country proud and it was a joy to come on here and read the reactions. The bitterness has set in now and it seems all you have to shout about is knocking Shelbournes exploits. Theres a handful(or less than) on here who are determined to wind people up.

I have no affiliation with Shelbourne or Cork City for that matter. One thing I can say though is that the Shelbourne posters on here generally provide some kind of constructive arguement without having to lowering themselves to pettiness and childishness.

Fair enough. Your entitled to your opinion. You've had it. Now get back in your box.

max power
24/08/2004, 11:40 PM
i am so so so sick of this cork ego attitude.....you did well in a pointless competition, no hope of the league or the cup. maybe its time you focused on your own club instead of shels.

btw i know how bad we did in europe before anybody posts it.

A face
25/08/2004, 1:08 AM
So tired of this rubbish

I think a big factor here lads (and wake up to it FFS) is that if Shels won ..... the league title would be over for 21 clubs for the next 10 years.

Over ...... a non issue

Lads ..... 10 Million

€10,000,000.00 !!!!!

This is the reason why most people dont want Shels to go through.

To be honest .... of course you cant help wanting an Irish club to do well, but it is the consequences of their success that has spooked the horses.

If people cant grasp this .... then i give up !!

OneRedArmy
25/08/2004, 8:00 AM
1. Having 30 fans travel the length of the country on a two day trip isn't bad.
2. Thats about 25 more than came down here from Derry.

Get your specs sorted patsh. I was one of 50 odd that came down in June and at the end of last season. Not to mention the travelling Cup semi-final crowd 2 years ago. Not bad for a relegation challenging team.....

See you in Derry ;)

patsh
25/08/2004, 8:07 AM
Get your specs sorted patsh. I was one of 50 odd that came down in June and at the end of last season. Not to mention the travelling Cup semi-final crowd 2 years ago. Not bad for a relegation challenging team.....

See you in Derry 1. I don't wear specs, its just that you cannot count.
2. Wow, you travelled in numbers for a cup semi-final..:eek:
3. You won't see me in Derry, I have a job and having to take 2 days off to suit Derry City FC is not on.

Peadar
25/08/2004, 8:10 AM
To be honest .... of course you cant help wanting an Irish club to do well, but it is the consequences of their success that has spooked the horses.

If people cant grasp this .... then i give up !!

You're so paranoid it's not even funny!
We need to get our act together before we can challenge for the league, regardless of how much Shels make. That's the way it's been for years. We can't even beat Dublin City FFS! We can't base our ambitions on the hope that Shels fail and drop back down to our level. We and the rest of the league need to aim to rise to their level. For decades we've craved recognition for the league and Shels have done an enormous amount towards getting that for the league.
Wake up and see the bigger picture lads.
The fact of the matter is, we could not emulate what Shels have done this season and most of us are jealous.

razor
25/08/2004, 8:18 AM
i am so so so sick of this cork ego attitude.....you did well in a pointless competition, no hope of the league or the cup. maybe its time you focused on your own club instead of shels.

I don't think its a cork ego thing max.
I mean we are not all of the same opinion.

It comes across to me as some type of jealousy at the fact that Shels out did us in Europe and also fear at what them succeeding might achieve.

We need to look at what they are doing and emulate it not be jealous of it.

I hate Shels as much as the next guy but you have to say fair play at what they have achieved.
Lets concentrate on our own club and on us getting to the CL.

tiktok
25/08/2004, 9:04 AM
Not to mention the travelling Cup semi-final crowd 2 years ago.

That was the best away bunch I'd ever seen at the cross, not just the numbers but the noise and the colour, fair play as it was a friday night too.

City have a decent regular away support now, I think it's actually been built on off the back of the euro away games as more people got involved and got to know each other, but as long as Derry have games on a thursday night, you're never going to see more than 50 from cork in the brandywell. I can't take two days off to travel up either, and I'm only in Dublin.

I don't think its a cork ego thing max.
I mean we are not all of the same opinion.

It comes across to me as some type of jealousy at the fact that Shels out did us in Europe and also fear at what them succeeding might achieve.

We need to look at what they are doing and emulate it not be jealous of it.

I hate Shels as much as the next guy but you have to say fair play at what they have achieved.
Lets concentrate on our own club and on us getting to the CL.

agree 100% razor :cool:

max power
25/08/2004, 9:11 AM
still its hard for cork to beat DC when they are lookin at tolka park. You can whinge all ya like but lets face it, we win 3 more games and we're back in europe again....remember that. maybe even 2 if shels ( :p ) were in the final.

you have a hard remainder to the season ahead and unless all efforts are focused on turners cross and not tolka then t could spell the end for pat.....

observer
25/08/2004, 9:11 AM
Ye sad collection of begrudgers. I apologise for my ignorance in thinking that an ounce of sportsmanship might have existed by the Lee. Is there any City fan who wishes to disassociate themselves with the crap posted previously on this thread.
Get a life ye sad shower! :(

Roo69
25/08/2004, 9:21 AM
w*nkers for wanting Depor to win ! :mad:

Any success for the league in europe is good, no matter who the club is. It's not as if we can turn such good press down when all we normally get is people having ago at our league.

Peadar
25/08/2004, 9:25 AM
we win 3 more games and we're back in europe again.....

So that you can show up the league again?
We may as well have Limerick in Europe for all the good you've done.
You're a disgrace!
Learn how to win a game, will you.

max power
25/08/2004, 9:41 AM
we do win games, cup games :D

but cry all ya want, next season we could be there again and seeing as the inter tayto cup is gone, where do yee go :confused:

look at cork before you complain about longford or whing about $hels.

razor
25/08/2004, 10:04 AM
Ye sad collection of begrudgers. I apologise for my ignorance

Apology not accepted.
Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

Peadar
25/08/2004, 10:06 AM
we do win games, cup games :D

but cry all ya want, next season we could be there again.

Longford are happy to just be in it.
They should take the next step now and look to try and get a result from at least one game. It's performances like yours that have kept the league down for years. Athlone Town would put up a better fight!

lopez
25/08/2004, 10:18 AM
w*nkers for wanting Depor to win ! :mad:

Any success for the league in europe is good, no matter who the club is. It's not as if we can turn such good press down when all we normally get is people having ago at our league.I can't believe the petty mindedness of some people on this thread. In club terms Depor is my team as many of you know, but I think that Shels accession to the group stages last night would have been brilliant for Irish football, and not something I would have wished against. As for bandwagon merchants, it wasn't long ago that the locals couldn't be ar*ed going to Bishopstown let alone Derry, FFS. :D

Moaning about Ollie Byrne etc. Haven't you got anyone with money to burn in Cork? Or are they all investing it in English teams? To Shels fans: 57 minutes without conceding a goal at the Riazor. I may be wrong, but I don't think Real Madrid managed that last year. Certainly not AC Milan. You did Ireland proud and here's to a decent UEFA cup run.

max power
25/08/2004, 10:30 AM
Longford are happy to just be in it.
They should take the next step now and look to try and get a result from at least one game. It's performances like yours that have kept the league down for years. Athlone Town would put up a better fight!

what good were your results, the inter tayto cup does nothing for the league standing in europe.....we earned our place in a REAL european competition and are only 3 games away from doing it again........look at cork before you look at others, maybe then the ego might shrink a bit when you realise your not gonna win the league or the cup and qualifying for europe is just a maybe...all this from the BIGGEST team on the country :eek:

cathal
25/08/2004, 10:47 AM
The fact of the matter is, we could not emulte what Shels have done this season and most of us are jealous.

the truth peadar. as i said already we should be looking to match what shels are acheiving not bellyaching and pretending that we have some sort of divine right to win trophies.

regardless of how shels got on last night we are inn our own little domestic goldfish miles away form even winning the league.

i see lennox in the examiner was talking some tough stuff especially we don't have another home game until sept

max power
25/08/2004, 10:49 AM
cork have no divine right, 5 trophies for the BIGGEST club in Ireland.

Maybe lennox should be ringing ollie up for advice.

tiktok
25/08/2004, 10:51 AM
.....seeing as the inter tayto cup is gone, where do yee go ........

for the record, it's being phased out over the next couple of years, it'll still be there next year.

If Longford do win the cup again and get into Europe, I and many other City fans will be cheering you on just as we were this year. Not all city fans wanted Shels to lose last night, I'll admit I was a less vocal in my support of them than I'd been for the landsdowne game, but I still found myself saddened when the first goal went in.

Like them or not (and I don't, although unlike others I've not a single bad thing to say about their fans), they were flying the flag for the LoI last night, and despite my nerves about what the money would mean to them, I couldn't bring myself to cheer for Deportivo.

At the end of the day, they did the league proud and I hope they can keep it going into the UEFA cup.

max power
25/08/2004, 10:54 AM
for the record, it's being phased out over the next couple of years, it'll still be there next year.

If you do win the cup again and get into Europe, I and many other City fans will be cheering you on just as we were this year. Not all city fans wanted Shels to lose last night, I'll admit I was a less vocal in my support of them than I'd been for the landsdowne game, but I still found myself saddened when the first goal went in.

Like them or not (and I don't, although unlike others I've not a single bad thing to say about their fans), they were flying the flag for the LoI last night, and despite my nerves about what the money would mean to them, I couldn't bring myself to cheer for Deportivo.

At the end of the day, they did the league proud and I hope they can keep it going into the UEFA cup.

one of only a few sensible city posts, ok cheer us on in europe. but don't call us a disgrace when we go out....we were playing so bad at the time it wasn't even funny.

but shels did us proud and its not over yet, still in the UFEA. last night at our cup game we were getting updates every 5 mins, an i was sad to see the first goal go in.

pete
25/08/2004, 11:06 AM
I`d wait & see how many you bring up to Derry before you throw the bandwagon accusations about. I`d say 30 made it last time, for the record.

Thursday night football doesn't help. Cork-Derry-Cork is like 2 day trip.

btw whats biggest away crowd at the Brandy this season...?

OneRedArmy
25/08/2004, 11:13 AM
Thursday night football doesn't help. Cork-Derry-Cork is like 2 day trip.

btw whats biggest away crowd at the Brandy this season...?

All the games this season were Saturday night up until a few weeks ago, but I take the point, Thurs is a non-starter for most away fans (and a lot of exiled home fans). Another area where the FAI need to be firm and compel clubs to play at a certain time.

I'd say the biggest away crowd in Derry (apart from our 1st division near neighbours who jump at the chance to see what life's like in the city) is consistently Rovers, eg they had about 200 up for the last game. They also tend to bring some of their charming friends from Belfast who bring so much to EL football :D

patsh
25/08/2004, 11:15 AM
one of only a few sensible city postsThe vast majority of posts here are sensible, it's just that they don't accord with your point of view.
NOT ONE SOLITARY PERSON has given ONE convincing argument as to why $h£l$ going through last night would have been good for the league.
They are well ahead now, and fair play to them, it's because of hard work and effort, but there are a few clubs who ARE trying to catch up.
Bohs, City, Derry, Drogs, Longford would have little or no chance of catching $h£l$ if they get access to Champions League money. How could any other club get anywhere near the millions that $h£l$ would get?
I support Cork City, and I don't want my club to have no chance at all of winning the league for the next 5 or 6 years.
If thats petty minded, good, because its better than having the downright stupid attitude that you want $h£l$ to dominate your club and your league.
Just who is seeing "the bigger picture" ?

pete
25/08/2004, 11:19 AM
Anyone else think shels were overly physical last night. Not that this should be a surprise to eL people but be interested to know what non-eL people think of it.

Williams was stupidly (could see he too far off line for freekick) positioned for 3rd goal & Moore was a compleet idiot to get sent off & miss next euro game but then again his manager hardly showed a good example.

Game last night looked like shels had believed the hype that they had realistic chance of progressing & really did seem like bad losers (that does that positice side though) when can't have too many complaints about result.

Peadar
25/08/2004, 11:30 AM
If thats petty minded, good, because its better than having the downright stupid attitude that you want $h£l$ to dominate your club and your league.
Just who is seeing "the bigger picture" ?

Like so many others on here you seem to want the league to remain stagnant until City are in a postion to move up to the next level.
We should be in a far stronger position than any of the 6 Dublin clubs given our relative monoply on football in the south west.
If we can't compete with Shels then we may as well give up and let a more ambitious club take out place in the league.
Hoping that Shels don't have success so that the league will remain weak enough for us to win it is a very unfortunate aspiration to have.

patsh
25/08/2004, 11:57 AM
Like so many others on here you seem to want the league to remain stagnant until City are in a postion to move up to the next level.
We should be in a far stronger position than any of the 6 Dublin clubs given our relative monoply on football in the south west.
If we can't compete with Shels then we may as well give up and let a more ambitious club take out place in the league.
Hoping that Shels don't have success so that the league will remain weak enough for us to win it is a very unfortunate aspiration to have.Like so many others on here, you seem to read whatever you feel like into peoples posts. Like a few others on here, you should disabuse yourelf of the notion that you somehow have more insight than others.
1. The league has not/is not remaining stagnant. More clubs have gone full time, more clubs appreciate just what they need to do to get success and are attempting to do it, the move to summer soccer in an attempt to improve etc. etc.
2. At the moment, we can almost compete with $h£l$ and are trying hard to catch up. However, if they get access to millions of €, we have no hope of competing for a long time, and neither does any other club.
3. $h£l$ already have a lot of success, and most other clubs are trying to emulate that. This is already ensuring that the league will remain anything but weak.

thecorner
25/08/2004, 2:12 PM
but cry all ya want, next season we could be there again and seeing as the inter tayto cup is gone, where do yee go :confused:

check your facts bud

toto cup got gone til the following season :D

max power
25/08/2004, 2:14 PM
sorry then, got that wrong.....so you'll be in another pointless euro comp next year, enough it keep pat in the job for another 12 months :D

thecorner
25/08/2004, 2:16 PM
sorry then, got that wrong.....so you'll be in another pointless euro comp next year, enough it keep pat in the job for another 12 months :D

but winning games and making money along the way ;)

max power
25/08/2004, 2:19 PM
agreed, but where is it going.....paying bills yes....no other sucess has to be a let down.....at the end of the season dolan will have had 2 full seasons..not much more than alan with a much larger budget, but where is the silverware for the BIGGEST club in Ireland....

i really think Ego fans need to take a long hard look at the club and realise how many seasons without silverware ???

btw the above is not a pi$$ take but simple truth.

patsh
25/08/2004, 2:24 PM
No one needs to tell City fans just how few trophys we have won Max.
However, the chairman and whole club is doing their very best to do something about that. You can't expect more than that.