PDA

View Full Version : team buses for loi teams

Pages : [1] 2

Martinho II
28/07/2012, 1:33 AM
I was working late in Carrickmines earlier this morning and called into the 24hr petrol station in Lucan to purchase petrol for the car for the trip home. To my surprise I saw a stylish bus which was the Mervue Utd team bus with their name on the bus and the mervue squad and management team enjoying their well deserved break from winning in wexford..

It got my mind racing is there many other team buses in the loi? The only one I have seen was Wexford Youths minibus!

gufcfan
28/07/2012, 1:53 AM
It belongs to a coach company. It's just branding as part of some sort of sponsorship.

gordongekko
28/07/2012, 10:52 AM
Were they lost?.

And ya it cost Mervue a fortune to get that logo on the bus. Money which could have been much better spend paying their bills and developing players. Anyone notice their league position rather than the 13 year old bus?

Trainee
28/07/2012, 12:13 PM
The Bus with Mervue on it is owned by Farrell's coaches
http://www.farrelltravel.ie/our-vehicles/

I think Wexford are they only LOI team that own their own bus

Jofspring
28/07/2012, 12:24 PM
The only way most loi teams could have there own buses is if they picked up a decent second hand one at a good price. Somewhere to store one would be a problem for most too.

Longfordian
28/07/2012, 12:38 PM
The Town used to own a wreck of a bus back in the 80s. The manager would drive it to games. Then they'd all get hammered on the way back home. Any wonder we hardly won a game in those days?

L.T.F.C.
28/07/2012, 2:20 PM
I hate GUST.

gordongekko
28/07/2012, 3:34 PM
I hate strawberries

Martinho II
28/07/2012, 9:57 PM
The Town used to own a wreck of a bus back in the 80s. The manager would drive it to games. Then they'd all get hammered on the way back home. Any wonder we hardly won a game in those days?

never knew that fact longfordian.. was that in billy bagsters days with the club do you know?

geezer
28/07/2012, 10:11 PM
never knew that fact longfordian.. was that in billy bagsters days with the club do you know?

at least Mervue are promoting football with their bus and they always have match signs around the eastern edges of the city and do their own thing, not sell their souls, change their name or try 3 card tricks, as for the other crowd seemingly all their people are busy at the arts festival. The Galway District League junior team were able to get 405 people at their friendly tonight V Port Vale

Longfordian
29/07/2012, 1:28 AM

It could be Marty. It was particularly active in Zac's time from what I hear!

gordongekko
29/07/2012, 3:00 AM
at least Mervue are promoting football with their bus and they always have match signs around the eastern edges of the city and do their own thing, not sell their souls, change their name or try 3 card tricks, as for the other crowd seemingly all their people are busy at the arts festival. The Galway District League junior team were able to get 405 people at their friendly tonight V Port Vale

This is where i disagree with you. One city One County One Club.

ped_ped
29/07/2012, 12:59 PM

Argue that the FAI should never have let them in, argue that there's no room for anything more than one team in Galway, argue what you like, but Mervue aren't in the wrong in any part of this. And One City, One County, One Club is your opinion and nothing else. Mervue have as much of a right - or, having managed to work with the money they had, more of a right - to be in this league as any team bearing the name Galway and claims some sort of superiority.

I've been a well-wisher and a fan of Galway almost as long as I've been supporting Limerick and I always liked to see them do well.

I'd love to see them back in the league.

I'd also love to see the minority of their fans to stop laying into the clubs that have managed to keep senior football in Galway.

geezer
29/07/2012, 1:12 PM
Argue that the FAI should never have let them in, argue that there's no room for anything more than one team in Galway, argue what you like, but Mervue aren't in the wrong in any part of this. And One City, One County, One Club is your opinion and nothing else. Mervue have as much of a right - or, having managed to work with the money they had, more of a right - to be in this league as any team bearing the name Galway and claims some sort of superiority.

I've been a well-wisher and a fan of Galway almost as long as I've been supporting Limerick and I always liked to see them do well.

I'd love to see them back in the league.

I'd also love to see the minority of their fans to stop laying into the clubs that have managed to keep senior football in Galway.

Airtricity League football in Terryland is dead as it is, when you get 8 times more attending the local district league sides pre season friendly there is a major problem. I have only admiration for Mervue, it was Galway Officials now camped out in Drom who made their name on the back of Galway United who gave them a pathway, they took it fair play.

The exit of Monaghan and the insatiable weekly demand of cash & costs at lOI level are worrying some of the Mervue members and it could impact their incredible work at juvenile level.
Airtricity league is finished in Galway as far as the sporting paying public.
Kids annual subscriptions are funding awful expensive seats in high places and everyone locally sees it for what it is

CraftyToePoke
29/07/2012, 1:13 PM

Are you applying this to Galway alone or nationwide? I mean apply it in Louth and Dublin and see where we are.

Spudulika
29/07/2012, 4:01 PM
Airtricity League football in Terryland is dead as it is, when you get 8 times more attending the local district league sides pre season friendly there is a major problem. I have only admiration for Mervue, it was Galway Officials now camped out in Drom who made their name on the back of Galway United who gave them a pathway, they took it fair play.

The exit of Monaghan and the insatiable weekly demand of cash & costs at lOI level are worrying some of the Mervue members and it could impact their incredible work at juvenile level.
Airtricity league is finished in Galway as far as the sporting paying public.
Kids annual subscriptions are funding awful expensive seats in high places and everyone locally sees it for what it is

The Airtricity league is not finished in Galway, 2 teams are playing, and they do have people attending. Bitching and carping at the 2 clubs does nothing to help the situation, only show up the LOI "fans" for what everyone thinks them to be. Bigoted knackers who aren't good enough to get into GAA or Rugby clubs (it's total crap, some of the biggest scumbags I've met at rugby matches and I have been appalled at GAA "fan" behaviour many times). Personally I want to see Galway United in the league, I never wanted to see them leave, nobody did. But give this anti-Mervue/SD Galway crap a rest. When you have to do down rivals so much it shows you have zero confidence in your own set up. Such sentiment runs all the way up to fervent nationalism.

gufcfan
29/07/2012, 4:14 PM
We will not give it a rest. They didn't run Galway United into the ground, but they are the f***ing problem now.

bluewhitearmy
29/07/2012, 4:32 PM
We will not give it a rest. They didn't run Galway United into the ground, but they are the f***ing problem now.

How..?

Sean South
29/07/2012, 4:39 PM
We will not give it a rest.
Bitching and moaning on the Internet isn't going to help your cause though.

Sam_Heggy
29/07/2012, 5:47 PM
It's p!ssing rain here all day, I got soaked a few times.

Those Salthill and Mervue folk ruining my summer.

geezer
29/07/2012, 6:04 PM
The Airtricity league is not finished in Galway, 2 teams are playing, and they do have people attending. Bitching and carping at the 2 clubs does nothing to help the situation, only show up the LOI "fans" for what everyone thinks them to be. Bigoted knackers who aren't good enough to get into GAA or Rugby clubs (it's total crap, some of the biggest scumbags I've met at rugby matches and I have been appalled at GAA "fan" behaviour many times). Personally I want to see Galway United in the league, I never wanted to see them leave, nobody did. But give this anti-Mervue/SD Galway crap a rest. When you have to do down rivals so much it shows you have zero confidence in your own set up. Such sentiment runs all the way up to fervent nationalism.

if you think a club that can muster 24 of their own supporters for a home game isnt a sign of unsustainability, lack of interest and wlll finish bottom 3 years in a row, fair enough.
My opinion of Mervue Utd my own parish is that they are an excellent club, real football culture, do their own thing, have great winning history locally and dont change their name on a whim.
The problem though is not many others in a huge county geographically will not be attracted to support a club that competes with them every weekend at some level or other.
Im afraid i cant stand the other crowd as they went out to politically completely kill off a club in a deal with former Galway United people then set about its decent supporters by reporting them as troublemakers at an Irish international and complained the club wasnt entitled to print a programme for last nights junior representative team, all that is silly **** but it hasnt worked.
24 salthill supporters at home against a promotion chasing side in the Airtricity League last friday at the home of football in Galway Terryland. There was more at the Novena in Salthill church

Anyway about the Bus. Fair play, couldnt imagine a Rovers bus heading through inchicore or cabra being waved at too often

NeverFeltBetter
29/07/2012, 7:55 PM
I'd love to see Galway United back, but nothing turns me against the GUST project more then this section of fans who just will not stop complaining about Mervue and Salthill.

gufcfan
29/07/2012, 8:13 PM
I'd be surprised if even the top teams in Europe have their own buses. Clubs have enough to worry about without having to keep a bus serviced. Much better to just pick up the phone and say where and when you want a bus and where you need it to go. GUST were paying a flat fee of €500 a match to bring the team to matches (because guess who never paid the bills) no matter where the bus was going.

gufc2000
29/07/2012, 9:15 PM
I'd love to see Galway United back, but nothing turns me against the GUST project more then this section of fans who just will not stop complaining about Mervue and Salthill.
Maybe, but some posters on here are blowing the whole hing out of proportion. Any GUST head that gives the actual attendance at Mervue or Salthill matches is chastised. They're only giving the actual figure, big deal. Those that continue to put up the extratime figures as the actual ones are worse.

Also, Mervue seem to be wrongly included in this also. I think you'll find most of the resentment is directed towards Salthill. What they did behind the scenes to route out United was disgraceful. How are we supposed to be happy for a club that tried to steal our image, ground and colours.

osarusan
29/07/2012, 11:05 PM
Maybe, but some posters on here are blowing the whole hing out of proportion. Any GUST head that gives the actual attendance at Mervue or Salthill matches is chastised. They're only giving the actual figure, big deal.

But people have beem pointing out the nonsense in their official attendances for a few years now. Everybody knows they're inflated. Nobody believes them. Yet some GUST fans have only started to point this out recently, as part of a blatantly obvious and completely retarded campaign to badmouth the two teams whenever possible.

This doesn't apply to all GUST fans, many of whom have said nothing at all, but there are a few total morons posting who are obviously annoying a lot of non-Galway LOI fans, including me.

gufcfan
30/07/2012, 12:27 AM
If you don't give a damn what the actual attendance was, don't reply to the post and just skip past them. You think we are whining? Do you know what irony is?

Anyway, owning a bus or buses is too much of a hassle and for it to be more economical than just hiring one, you'd have to have it working for you.

Snoop Drog
30/07/2012, 1:54 AM
Can we get back on topic and discuss whether or not Billy Baxter drove the Longford bus :)

Terry
30/07/2012, 7:46 AM
I'd be surprised if even the top teams in Europe have their own buses. Clubs have enough to worry about without having to keep a bus serviced. Much better to just pick up the phone and say where and when you want a bus and where you need it to go. GUST were paying a flat fee of €500 a match to bring the team to matches (because guess who never paid the bills) no matter where the bus was going.

Anyway, owning a bus or buses is too much of a hassle and for it to be more economical than just hiring one, you'd have to have it working for you.

Mervue don't own the bus, they pay for the advertising on it. I help with buses for my daughters school through Farrells and it is the buses with the advertising for mervue, connaught rugby etc., that always show up.

geezer
30/07/2012, 8:30 AM
Mervue don't own the bus, they pay for the advertising on it. I help with buses for my daughters school through Farrells and it is the buses with the advertising for mervue, connaught rugby etc., that always show up.

billy drove the bus alright

sadloserkid
30/07/2012, 12:34 PM
Another thread hijacked... I suppose the lack of something to do on a Friday night would cause me to lose all sense of perspective too.

On topic edit: On the subject at hand I'd agree that owning a bus should be well down a club's list of priorities. There is no club in the country that couldn't spend their money on better things. It's no coincidence that only Wallace, a man whose love of himself is only matched by his love of grandiose vanity gestures, has wheeled one out.

gordongekko
30/07/2012, 4:51 PM
Another thread hijacked... I suppose the lack of something to do on a Friday night would cause me to lose all sense of perspective too.

Jesus we are not from Limerick we do have girlfriends, wives and lifes to keep us busy.

Redzer
30/07/2012, 7:00 PM
Jesus we are not from Limerick we do have girlfriends, wifes and lifes to keep us busy.
Yes, but no football:highfive:

gordongekko
30/07/2012, 7:44 PM
Yes, but no football:highfive:

With all the threads ye complain we hijack do ye not listen to us at all. We played Port Vale last saturday, Have Chick game in 3 weeks and the under 19 league starts 2nd september with a home game in Eamonn Deacy Park v Mervue United.

Sam_Heggy
30/07/2012, 7:44 PM
Jesus we are not from Limerick we do have girlfriends, wifes and lifes to keep us busy.

I just got a call there from Salthill, they're bringing 4 coach loads of fans up for the game on Friday night in Finn Park.

Great fans.

I don't think they own the buses they're travelling in though

geezer
30/07/2012, 8:00 PM
[QUOTE=Sam_Heggy;1615588]I just got a call there from Salthill, they're bringing 4 coach loads of fans up for the game on Friday night in Finn Park.

will you think its funny when someone from finn harps jumps ship attains high office moves to letterkenny rovers and tries to burn your history, dump you out of your ground, hide all the signs with finn harps on them, reports your fans for causing trouble at internationals put in a team wearing your blue jersey and call it letterkenny finn harps or fanad harps.
Then when you are punch drunk from all that and try to keep things going, do their damdest to stop you setting up a football club, try prevent any form of competition and try to prevent you producing a programme and call you naive natives

We are out of football because we are supporters, the lads that visit finn park and away grounds everyone else, directors, former members with new found love, players, coaches, referees, expense merchantsand people who love sucking the game dry are still in, well it smells **** down here and i hope no other genuine loi followers are targeted in such a malicious way again.

Loads of clubs got up to lots of shenanigans and Galway United was its own worst enemy but the genuine supporters were filleted and yes we are bitter, angry and will keep going for as long as it takes

ffs

Sam_Heggy
30/07/2012, 8:34 PM
In fairness, we've had quite a few people jump ship to Letterkenny Rovers and try to help them "replace" us in the League (long story).

Sh!t happens, we have to move on.

I'm pretty sure complaining in every thread possible on foot.ie isn't going to help GUST's cause.

gordongekko
30/07/2012, 8:38 PM
I'm pretty sure complaining in every thread possible on foot.ie isn't going to help GUST's cause.

tis only the internet, cant do any harm

Sam_Heggy
30/07/2012, 8:41 PM
tis only the internet, cant do any harm

t'internet is the work of the divil.

bullit
30/07/2012, 8:42 PM
GUST supporters :

http://1-2knockout.typepad.com/.a/6a00e5505fc4968834010536e09336970b-800wi

nigel-harps1954
30/07/2012, 9:35 PM
will you think its funny when someone from finn harps jumps ship attains high office moves to letterkenny rovers and tries to burn your history, dump you out of your ground, hide all the signs with finn harps on them, reports your fans for causing trouble at internationals put in a team wearing your blue jersey and call it letterkenny finn harps or fanad harps.
Then when you are punch drunk from all that and try to keep things going, do their damdest to stop you setting up a football club, try prevent any form of competition and try to prevent you producing a programme and call you naive natives

Yeah..I don't think it's funny either. Didn't think it was funny when some folk actually did similar to that from Harps to Letterkenny Rovers.

There's plenty of people who do it to every club. Christ you're not the only ones.

I remember giving my full support to GUST when they were trying to put their club together for this season, but christ, I'm almost disliking them altogether now.

You're doing yourselves no favours.

geezer
30/07/2012, 10:22 PM
Yeah..I don't think it's funny either. Didn't think it was funny when some folk actually did similar to that from Harps to Letterkenny Rovers.

There's plenty of people who do it to every club. Christ you're not the only ones.

I remember giving my full support to GUST when they were trying to put their club together for this season, but christ, I'm almost disliking them altogether now.

You're doing yourselves no favours.

We got the ultimate sanction, the one to completely kill us off. We are not going away

just do us 1 last favour and win at the weekend

Lim till i die
30/07/2012, 11:03 PM
We played Port Vale last saturday, Have Chick game in 3 weeks and the under 19 league starts 2nd september with a home game in Eamonn Deacy Park v Mervue United.

They're both advertised as a Galway XI??

The Port Vale game was against the Oscar Traynor team was it not??

GUST actually have an U-19 s team of their own this season. What kinda crowds are you expecting?? 500?? 600??

Charlie Darwin
30/07/2012, 11:50 PM
Jesus we are not from Limerick we do have girlfriends, wives and lifes to keep us busy.
Here's hoping they don't find out about each other.

ped_ped
31/07/2012, 4:08 AM
We are out of football because we are supporters, the lads that visit finn park and away grounds everyone else, directors, former members with new found love, players, coaches, referees, expense merchantsand people who love sucking the game dry are still in, well it smells **** down here and i hope no other genuine loi followers are targeted in such a malicious way again.

Loads of clubs got up to lots of shenanigans and Galway United was its own worst enemy but the genuine supporters were filleted and yes we are bitter, angry and will keep going for as long as it takes

ffs

We feel for the club. I hope I'm not generalising but I'm fairly sure 99% of the fans on here feel for the club and the fans. If it happened to our own we'd be just as angry and just as bitter.

But mind your own club's business.

Organise friendlies, work on your Under-19s, get word going about the GUST project and people will get behind you. Other LOI fans will get behind you. Attacking the two current senior teams just makes you seem petty and turns people against the project!

Why bother? Salthill aren't exactly going places as it is.

gordongekko
31/07/2012, 5:49 AM

Well ye are on the official airtricity league web site as being called Limerick fc http://www.airtricityleague.ie/clubs/first-division/limerick-fc yet ticketmaster sell tickets for the Man City friendly as Limerick City http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180048ECC9CC2E5A . And of course clearly as we are not in a competitive league atm its difficult to put together a team for a one off game.

gordongekko
31/07/2012, 5:50 AM
Here's hoping they don't find out about each other.

so far so good :)

Terry
31/07/2012, 7:42 AM

The Port Vale game was against the Oscar Traynor team was it not??

GUST actually have an U-19 s team of their own this season. What kinda crowds are you expecting?? 500?? 600??

One is a Galway XI "in association with the Galway FA and GUST and the other is a legends match of west united/Galway United -v- Aston Villa

It wasn't a Oscar traynor team, but it was mainly the same players plus 4 or 5 others such was the small pool of players available in Galway for the match.

No talk of what type of crowds we're expecting but IMHO I would be thinking 150-200 per match.

geezer
31/07/2012, 9:00 AM
It is well time for Galway United supporters and forum members to disregard what is going on at other clubs and concentrate on our own club, and our vision for the future.

Over the next few weeks we are involved in a huge match which will celebrate the contribution of Eamon Deacy through Galway United to football in Galway.

We are also launching a representative team for the city and county in the League of Ireland.

Reflecting on our proud past and building for a better future. Come on United !

sadloserkid
31/07/2012, 10:31 AM
It is well time for Galway United supporters and forum members to disregard what is going on at other clubs and concentrate on our own club, and our vision for the future.

I really hope they listen to you geezer!

nigel-harps1954
31/07/2012, 3:36 PM
just do us 1 last favour and win at the weekend

I would be severely disappointed if we couldn't beat them shower.