PDA

View Full Version : Games of the XXX Olympiad - London 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

peadar1987
09/08/2012, 1:03 PM
Was Morgan's tweet fake?

Spudulika
09/08/2012, 1:27 PM
I've been enjoying the Irish commentary, especially Jimmy from Louth. He's acting like he's out of his head, probably realising this is his last Olympics, and going out with the craic. He's never been a particularly good commentator, especially on boxing, but when he said the other night that a fighter was from "Ulaan Bator, the capital of Outer Mongolia" I cracked up. I bet that (won't say it) Nugent was smashing his peeled face off a studio wall. Bill and Jimmy should be retired, Bill is only stirring now, Jimmy is going to get himself into trouble (the slag about the boxer's boots only being visible in a dark room was funny in a 1980's way).

bennocelt
09/08/2012, 1:57 PM
He wasn't innocent as he was found guilty, but found innocent of deliberate performance enhancing doping. Afair, he didn't claim that the horse had no traces of drugs, just that it was not deliberate, in that he was cleared by the inquiry. Most probably he didn't take the case to CAS because according to the rules he was 100% guilty regardless of intent.
His punishment was mild (medal stripping apart).
I think we can give the lad the benefit of the doubt because of the manner in which he has dedicated himself to representing Irish equestrian sport, if you can call it a sport.

Thats a good reply geysir, thanks and fair comment.:D
Of course you also have to take into account that he is telling the truth, and considering his background (his uncle and the like), and his manner of speaking (he could run out of FG in the future) I tend to not trust these kind of people - but yeah thats just me!:p

Macy
09/08/2012, 3:29 PM
Thats a good reply geysir, thanks and fair comment.:D
Of course you also have to take into account that he is telling the truth, and considering his background (his uncle and the like), and his manner of speaking (he could run out of FG in the future) I tend to not trust these kind of people - but yeah thats just me!:p
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2004/1104/1097847338280_1099555501460.html

osarusan
09/08/2012, 3:47 PM
Don't know if people watching RTE can see it, but most annoying person in the world is MC-ing the boxing. Wish she'd shut the **** up.

SkStu
09/08/2012, 3:53 PM
Come on Katie!

SkStu
09/08/2012, 4:06 PM
Get in there!

peadar1987
09/08/2012, 4:10 PM
Gold! I'll just be dancing my way home now!

Spudulika
09/08/2012, 4:11 PM
Great win, but I don't like how the studio (RTE) have forgotten we had a silver medal 20 years ago too! Man, that was too close! Now I'm in serious trouble, a Tajik yesterday, a Russian today!

Spudulika
09/08/2012, 4:12 PM
Osarusan, we started the road to this gold :-)

SkStu
09/08/2012, 4:16 PM
Osarusan, we started the road to this gold :-)

Ah, so the phrase "fighting like girls" provided the inspiration...

osarusan
09/08/2012, 4:16 PM
2-2, 1-2, 4-1, 3-3.

I watched it on a stream without commentary and made my own scores before seeing the actual ones. Mine went like this: 2-1, 1-3, 3-1, 2-2. The Russian girl counter-punched beautifully for the first couple of rounds, but when it started edging towards a brawl, Katie got the better of things. I was very nervous waiting for the final score though.

passinginterest
09/08/2012, 4:17 PM
Well that was emotional. Delighted for her after all the hype and pressure, wasn't the greatest final ever but she stuck to her tactics and didn't get drawn into something silly and it paid off.

Real ale Madrid
09/08/2012, 4:44 PM
That 3rd round was a Coronation.

The Queen of World boxing.

Spudulika
09/08/2012, 4:47 PM
Ah, so the phrase "fighting like girls" provided the inspiration...

Nah, only Trinity boxers were light on their feet. Osarusan used to have quite the nickname though! ;-)

geysir
09/08/2012, 5:46 PM
Quite a dramatic shift in intensity from the WC title fight against the same Russian. My ears a buzzing after that
Carruth had only a hundred or so bodhran bashing oleyers but they managed to create an olympic gold final din of celebration. Katie's response in the 4th round after the Russian (must have) clawed back the point difference, was immense.
Who really gives a féck about the gold medal in golf or tennis, but an olympic gold in boxing is peerless.

How does it work for the final bouts, do people have buy a ticket for the whole day or just for each final?

Stuttgart88
09/08/2012, 6:03 PM
Well done Katie, my nerves were in shreds. Glad I watched on BBC, Jimmy Magee was driving me mental yesterday.

Hard luck in the handball Geysir.

The crowd seemed totally united today, almost touching. I was at the track last night for a great evening and again today for a less glamorous session. Deirdre Ryan got a great cheer from the GB crowd, though there were hundreds of Irish there too. Good fun, more like a carnival than a partisan sporting context.

geysir
09/08/2012, 6:14 PM
Don't mention the Handball, the 1/4 final for the whole 8ö or 90 minutes was like the penalty shoot out with Spain x 10.
'We' kept giving the game away at the last seconds.

DannyInvincible
09/08/2012, 6:45 PM
Watched Taylor's fight and the medal ceremony by tracking back to the relevant segment on the BBC's live stream as soon as I got home earlier. Somehow managed to avoid catching the result, but what a result it was. Was a close fight and especially nervy knowing she was behind at one point; can't deny my eyes watered up when the decision was announced and the tricolour was raised to a rousing rendition of 'Amhrán na bhFiann' at the London Olympics. Magical moment. Incredible to think you can count our entire tally of gold medals on the two hands.

Any real chance of Conlan, Nevin or Barnes bringing us into double figures for golds?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/427295_506896222660456_1232273272_n.jpg

What's Morgan's obsession with singing the anthem? Can't one simply stand in a respectful manner as it's played? Declining from singing it doesn't necessarily have to be a show of disrespect. God forbid, he'd ever see this photo!:

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq94/bhamilton82/gstq.jpg

geysir
09/08/2012, 10:15 PM
Any real chance of Conlan, Nevin or Barnes bringing us into double figures for golds?

I think Conlon has the best chance getting through to the final.

ArdeeBhoy
10/08/2012, 6:37 AM
A heart-warming moment from KT.

Even if her auld man's a Yorkie.
And she's a Leeds Utd.fan, allegedly...

peadar1987
10/08/2012, 8:25 AM
For those of you in the know, how come Irish boxing is so consistently successful internationally compared to other sports?

Spudulika
10/08/2012, 9:23 AM
Peadar - 3 things:
1. It doesn't take great investment or material
2. It suits the Irish mentality
3. It is a sport (amateur) that can be coached to a point where you can win with less talent than other fighters

Add to this the history of Irish sports, the overall support for the sport in all sections of society and the fact that weight categories mean more even competition, we have a winning formula. Of course the IABA have moved to a different level and have fighters trained to the nth degree, since Dom O'Rourke took over he also ensured the participation of other sections of society to senior level, most notably travelers. Until the late 90's traveler boys would be magnificent until the age of 16 then disappear - now they continue on.

geysir
10/08/2012, 12:54 PM
Barnes gave a phenomenal performance, brought it to wire against a classy boxer.

Mr A
10/08/2012, 12:57 PM
He lost 45-44 on countback. Bloody hell. He gave it a hell of a rattle though.

Spudulika
10/08/2012, 1:07 PM
JJ Nevin to do a Mick Carruth!

Spudulika
10/08/2012, 1:20 PM
Gold, silver and 3 bronze

osarusan
10/08/2012, 1:21 PM
And he did!!

No way in the world he won the last round 7-5, but whatever.

tricky_colour
10/08/2012, 1:21 PM
Great boxing from JJ Nevin he looks like a classy boxer.

passinginterest
10/08/2012, 1:28 PM
And he did!!

Definitely had the last round as a draw at best. Got caught a few times when he was trying to showboat. Great performance though other than that. Paddy Barnes was brilliant considering the hammering he got from the same opponent in the last Olympics, it was a super fight to watch just gutted with the result.

How does the countback work by the way? He seemed to be the busier the last few rounds which I though made him favourite if it went to countback?

Spudulika
10/08/2012, 1:28 PM
And he did!!

I thought he won the 1st by more, but drew or lost the last. The crowd did help the judges :-) Great days!

Spudulika
10/08/2012, 1:29 PM
Definitely had the last round as a draw at best. Got caught a few times when he was trying to showboat. Great performance though other than that. Paddy Barnes was brilliant considering the hammering he got from the same opponent in the last Olympics, it was a super fight to watch just gutted with the result.

How does the countback work by the way? He seemed to be the busier the last few rounds which I though made him favourite if it went to countback?

It's complicated, but all the 5 judges scores are included, not the 3 closest scoring judges.

geysir
10/08/2012, 1:34 PM
I'll take the marks for that last round though, 3-0 against the World nr. 1.
Brilliant from Nevin.
That big screen in Mullingar looks no bigger than a 36" stuck in the corner of the square.

DannyInvincible
10/08/2012, 5:37 PM
Gutted for Paddy Barnes. Managed to catch the fight on my lunch-break and it left me in foul form for a Friday afternoon. Really thought he might have snatched it after a mammoth third round effort from him. Gave his all.

Spudulika
10/08/2012, 7:48 PM
Mick Conlan going to give it a good rattle. Won't be easy, but fingers crossed.

DannyInvincible
10/08/2012, 8:03 PM
Ramirez is an excellent boxer. Conlan comprehensively beaten. Can't really complain and maybe a bit careless to have turned his back at one point in wait of a shout from the ref.

strangeirish
10/08/2012, 8:04 PM
Outclassed unfortunately.

Spudulika
10/08/2012, 8:17 PM
Beaten by the better boxer. Conlan should go pro now, he'll only stagnate in the amateurs, and needs a punch (ie speed up)

paudie
10/08/2012, 9:29 PM
2-2, 1-2, 4-1, 3-3.

I watched it on a stream without commentary and made my own scores before seeing the actual ones. Mine went like this: 2-1, 1-3, 3-1, 2-2. The Russian girl counter-punched beautifully for the first couple of rounds, but when it started edging towards a brawl, Katie got the better of things. I was very nervous waiting for the final score though.

I thought the Russian might have won the last round by point but thought Katie just shaded it overrall.

The Russian had some puss on her during the presentation so it was good to see her and Katie laughing and joking after photos were taken.

paudie
10/08/2012, 9:34 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_World_Amateur_Boxing_Championships_%E2%80%93_ Bantamweight

Campbell beat Nevin on countback in the World Championships last year. Should be a great fight tomorrow.

paudie
10/08/2012, 9:43 PM
Peadar - 3 things:
1. It doesn't take great investment or material
2. It suits the Irish mentality
3. It is a sport (amateur) that can be coached to a point where you can win with less talent than other fighters
Add to this the history of Irish sports, the overall support for the sport in all sections of society and the fact that weight categories mean more even competition, we have a winning formula. Of course the IABA have moved to a different level and have fighters trained to the nth degree, since Dom O'Rourke took over he also ensured the participation of other sections of society to senior level, most notably travelers. Until the late 90's traveler boys would be magnificent until the age of 16 then disappear - now they continue on.

A bit harsh on our coaching system?

Surely Taylor and Nevin have as much talent as any boxer in their division? And Conlon and Barnes are amongst the top ranked boxers.

geysir
10/08/2012, 9:43 PM
Tough tough contest for Conlan. No shame at all to lose to that boxer. Once upon a time the country stood still to applaud a solitary boxing bronze.
There's going to be some crackers in the gold medal fights.

Is there a bigger sack of shít than Bill O'Herlihy?

paudie
10/08/2012, 10:45 PM
Tough tough contest for Conlan. No shame at all to lose to that boxer. Once upon a time the country stood still to applaud a solitary boxing bronze.
There's going to be some crackers in the gold medal fights.

Yeah. His old fogey act is well past its sell by date. An example tonight as he immediatley looked for someone to blame after the fight - coaches, Conlon, anyone. Fair dues to Kenny Egan for saying that sometimes you're beaten by a better man.

Remember Bill's background is journalism rather than presenting so don't expect anything other than dirt stirring from him.

No doubt he's composing his questions to Gerry Kiernan on sunday re: the underachievment of Irish athletics.

Spudulika
11/08/2012, 5:13 AM
Paudie, I'm not casting doubt on the quality of Irish (or any other) fighters, just that since this rotten computer system has come in it has increased the risk of brain and body damage, removed elements of skill and caused the development of a fighting style that is about as interesting to watch as, well, as a Monday night sky tv special.

I'll backup the 3 things I mentioned just now.

Brain and body damage increase:- For judges to register a score they have to a) see a cleanly landed punch or b) see a physical reaction to a thrown punch.
Removed elements of skill:- The first has led to this, no longer will fighters be awarded merit for slipping punches, work rate, superior movement and better combinations etc.
Hands up robot style:- Last night it was clearly shown how when Mick Conlan was working and slipping punches, the Cuban had the long arms to cover up the "target areas" (head and front torso), and threw in short bursts to win points.

So from this you can develop a style (like Paddy Barnes and Katie Taylor against good fighters) where you throw short flurries, carry your hands high and hit hard enough to make the opponent's body react. Some fighters can escape with a looser style (like JJ Nevin) but amateur boxing is no longer the Noble Art of Self-Defence, it is all about beating the computer.

geysir
11/08/2012, 9:04 AM
Paudie, I'm not casting doubt on the quality of Irish (or any other) fighters, just that since this rotten computer system has come in it has increased the risk of brain and body damage, removed elements of skill and caused the development of a fighting style that is about as interesting to watch as, well, as a Monday night sky tv special.

I'll backup the 3 things I mentioned just now.

Brain and body damage increase:- For judges to register a score they have to a) see a cleanly landed punch or b) see a physical reaction to a thrown punch.
Removed elements of skill:- The first has led to this, no longer will fighters be awarded merit for slipping punches, work rate, superior movement and better combinations etc.
Hands up robot style:- Last night it was clearly shown how when Mick Conlan was working and slipping punches, the Cuban had the long arms to cover up the "target areas" (head and front torso), and threw in short bursts to win points.

So from this you can develop a style (like Paddy Barnes and Katie Taylor against good fighters) where you throw short flurries, carry your hands high and hit hard enough to make the opponent's body react. Some fighters can escape with a looser style (like JJ Nevin) but amateur boxing is no longer the Noble Art of Self-Defence, it is all about beating the computer.
Looks like there are serious moves to change the scoring system.
changes in the scoring system (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/computerized-scoring-system-is-on-the-way-out-of-amateur-boxing-aiba-chief-says/2012/08/09/63ba61b0-e237-11e1-89f7-76e23a982d06_story.html)
´The president of amateur boxing’s governing body expects to replace the sport’s computerized scoring system with the traditional professional judging system before the 2016 Rio Olympics.Wu Ching-Kuo told The Associated Press it’s all part of his plan for Olympic boxing to look more like the pro game. AIBA intends to move to the pros’ 10-point scoring system, which takes into account every aspect of fighters’ skills, not solely their ability to land clean punches.´

Spudulika
11/08/2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks Geysir, despite being the victim of some dodgy decisions on the old system, my first ever experience of computer scoring back in 1993 was a horror. Both of us wore blue (but he was fighting from the blue corner), I won at a canter and then lost 12-9. The judges admitted they'd been confused and after our appeal they said they couldn't change it as it would show the problem with the system. Corruption will always have a hand in sport (sadly) but computers have rendered amateur boxing a crock. One good thing is this Olympics they've recorded some body punches. A return to old just means that the Irish coaches will have to work harder but I'd back them to do better.

paudie
11/08/2012, 12:13 PM
Rob Heffernan came 4th in the 50k walk.

He stayed back from the leaders at the start but came on strong in the last 10k but couldn't catch the Chinese in third. Broke his PB by around 3 minutes. Brendan Boyce from Donegal came in the top 30.

bennocelt
11/08/2012, 12:20 PM

Exactly - "that was very disappointing" - WTF, since when has an 18 year old in his first Olympics getting a medal been a disappointment?
Hard luck to Barnes - think he was robbed myself, Conlon gave it his best but Ramirez was brilliant and Dunne was correct - I def would pay to see him fight. Anyway heading to the town tonight to see the local boy do good!!!:D (Longford town can wait another day!)
(by the way some of Nevin's family was refused entry into a local bar yesterday - can u fecking believe that!!!!)

geysir
11/08/2012, 12:40 PM
A return to old just means that the Irish coaches will have to work harder but I'd back them to do better.
I don't know if they will have to work harder, just work differently, from what I've seen we have an abundance of (superior) technically skilled boxers.

geysir
11/08/2012, 12:53 PM
Exactly - "that was very disappointing" - WTF, since when has an 18 year old in his first Olympics getting a medal been a disappointment?

It was precisely that but what compounded his opening line was his sneering condescension.
Not that I'm into unreserved cheerleading but let the boxing panel analyze the fight and put the efforts of Conlan into context. Only 6 European boxers (plus the Brit) made it to these finals.