PDA

View Full Version : Serbia V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 15th August 2012 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

elroy
18/07/2012, 10:38 AM
This Friday.

Time to pick ourselves of the floor after the disappointment of Poland which of course was mixed with the joy of been at the tournament for the first time in 25 years.

Back to back qualification is never easy and particularly so when you have a squad in need of restructure and Germany in your group.

No announcement of any retirements yet which is positive though I suspect if there are any (dont expect more than two) they will be made known on Friday.

Expectation is for little change to what we have, unfortunately.

Hoping that the following will not just be called up but get decent game time as well: McCarthy, Gibson, McClean, Long, Duffy, Clark, Wilson and Coleman.

Others worth a look would be the likes of Pearce at Reading.

Trap at the start of his reign was very good at bringing in new faces and trying out new players - def needs to do the same now.

SwanVsDalton
18/07/2012, 11:53 AM
Already? Madness. Hope it's a reasonably fresh squad, with the likes of Cunningham, Clark, Duffy, Wilson and Robbie Brady. I'm not expecting Trap to go crazy, but this friendly is an ideal time to to look at new options, particularly since I can imagine a few being injured/crying off (no fall out's please) due to Prem season etc.

Colbert Report
18/07/2012, 1:07 PM
Ferguson is playing Robbie Brady at left back, why not give him a go? Is Cunningham fit? Throw each of them in there for a half and give Stephen Ward the rest of the decade off.

the bear
18/07/2012, 1:23 PM
has he played any preseasons at left back yet?

IsMiseSean
18/07/2012, 1:38 PM
I'd expect Duffy, Brady & Cunningham to be named in the U21 squad. They have a crucial qualifier against Turkey the night before the Serbia game.

Bungle
18/07/2012, 1:54 PM
I would hope that McCarthy and Gibson start in the middle and Long and Walters start up front. I would love Wilson to start at left back, but that is unlikely to happen. It would be great to have Hoolahan and Pilkington in the squad. I would like Coleman and Clark to get some game time also.

That would be a good start from Trap.

the bear
18/07/2012, 3:41 PM
you'd be more likely to get Andy reid playing the national anthem on his guitar

geysir
18/07/2012, 6:32 PM
For the first time I'm apprehensive about a squad announcement, even more so for the team that will be selected for the qualifiers.

IsMiseSean
18/07/2012, 8:26 PM
I really hope there will be a couple of fresh faces

Junior
18/07/2012, 8:28 PM
It will be interesting to see the squad alright and the reaction to it.

No changes - Uproar from Media and Fans alike
Changes - Media - will it be "thats what should happen" or more like "this is Trap pandering to public pressure"? / Fans - "about time" with some adding a token "but why not x or y or Robbie Brady........."

SwanVsDalton
20/07/2012, 9:03 AM
Indo says Given and Dunne definitely left out, Duff and Keane probably left out (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/keane-duff-futures-in-doubt-as-trapattoni-leaves-out-given-and-dunne-3174256.html). Only a 23 man panel too, smallish by Trap standards.

IF it's made clear to the above four that Trap simply wants the friendly to look at other options, then I'm all for it. Don't want this to turn into another miscommunication nightmare however, and have one of the above prematurely take themselves out of selection.

Either way pretty bold move by Trap's standards.

tetsujin1979
20/07/2012, 9:24 AM
There was a story in the sun (or some tabloid anyway) last week about Trapattoni calling Wilson as well, can't find the link though

Stuttgart88
20/07/2012, 12:00 PM
Paul Green captain. Unbelievable.

Supreme feet
20/07/2012, 12:56 PM
Paul Green captain. Unbelievable.

God Stutts, don't do that to me!

Last-minute prediction: I'd say it'll be O'Shea or Doyle captaining the side. I can see McCarthy, Coleman, Wilson and Clark coming in, which would be okay. Maybe Foley too. Don't think Pilkington will be there, as I think Coleman will be picked as a winger with Hunt retaining his place alongside McClean and McGeady for those four places. Whelan and Andrews won't be phased out just yet, leaving no room to pick Hoolahan as an extra midfielder, unfortunately.

christo
20/07/2012, 1:01 PM
Squad v Serbia: Westwood, Forde, Randolph, Wilson, O'Shea, St Ledger, O'Dea, Ward, Kelly, McShane, Whelan, Gibson, McCarthy, Green, Coleman, McGeady, Keogh, McClean, Treacy, Doyle, Long, Cox, Walters

cornflakes
20/07/2012, 1:03 PM
Irish squad v Serbia:
Westwood, Forde, Randolph, Wilson, O'Shea, St Ledger, O'Dea, Ward, Kelly, McShane, Whelan, Gibson, McCarthy, Green, Coleman, McGeady, Keogh, McClean, Treacy, Doyle, Long, Cox, Walters

SwanVsDalton
20/07/2012, 1:03 PM
Squad: Westwood, Forde, Randolph, Wilson, O'Shea, St Ledger, O'Dea, Ward, Kelly, McShane, Whelan, Gibson, McCarthy, Green, Coleman, McGeady, Keogh, McClean, Treacy, Doyle, Long, Cox, Walters

No older members as predicted - Marc Wilson back with Andy Keogh and Keith Treacy. Hoolahan and Brady should be in ahead of them, would've selected Clark and no Foley makes it likely he'll continue to not be involved. Disappointing although at least some people will get proper game time.

cornflakes
20/07/2012, 1:05 PM
No Hunt either! Is he injured or just dropped?

Junior
20/07/2012, 1:06 PM
Squad v Serbia: Westwood, Forde, Randolph, Wilson, O'Shea, St Ledger, O'Dea, Ward, Kelly, McShane, Whelan, Gibson, McCarthy, Green, Coleman, McGeady, Keogh, McClean, Treacy, Doyle, Long, Cox, Walters

So no Foley? Is it just a case of leaving a little time, has he been communicated with I wonder?
Fahey is injured until end of Sept I think
Andrews suspended for the friendlies?

I dont get this notion why people think Brady should be in a senior international squad at this point in his career??????

SwanVsDalton
20/07/2012, 1:19 PM
So no Foley? Is it just a case of leaving a little time, has he been communicated with I wonder?
Fahey is injured until end of Sept I think
Andrews suspended for the friendlies?

I dont get this notion why people think Brady should be in a senior international squad at this point in his career??????

Why not? Gibson was farther away from Utd's first team when he was blooded, Brady can at least stand behind a solid, occasionally excellent season on loan. I'd have had a look for sure, although I think someone mentioned the U-21 playing the day before or similar.

Supreme feet
20/07/2012, 1:23 PM
Positives: Inclusions of McCarthy, Wilson, Coleman. Also, McClean, Gibson and Long should be given more game-time.

Negatives: McShane, O'Dea, Keogh, Green, Treacy. All Championship players, three of whom will struggle for game time this year. Pointless inclusions. No Clark or Hoolahan.

cornflakes
Foley refused call up and all players in their 30's rested. Trap wanted to call up Brady and Duffy but they were needed for U21 qualifier

TrapAPony
No Clark, Ireland, Hoolahan, Pearce, Pilkington, Fahey, Duffy, Brady yet players like Green, O'Dea, McShane, Keogh, Treacy are called up

Stuttgart88
20/07/2012, 1:26 PM
One of the papers said that Trap was in touch with Foley over the summer to try and patch things up.

I'm fine with Brady, Duffy, Cunningham etc. being omitted - the U21 game is far more important.

Silly decision to include Forde. I thought he was a good pick for the Euros because of experience but he has no long term value and Henderson would have been a better pick.

I'm neutral on Treacy but would prefer he starts delivering at club level first.

Glad to see Wilson and Coleman there.

Keogh is a strange one. I'd have preferred another look at Stokes.

Green always frightens me because I think Trap will favour him over a better player. His presence reduces the chances of a better look at our midfield options.

Very disappointed that there is no place for Clark or Hoolahan. McShane, how unimaginative is that?

I wonder was there any approach to Pearce or Pilkington, or any hint at sounding out Stephen Ireland via his clubmates?

On balance it doesn't look to me like Trap has bucked up his ideas at all. I expect we'll see either a traditional 4-4-2 or a badly devised version of a 4-3-3 with players asked to play roles inappropriate to their skill sets and we'll be in for a very frustrating affair.

D+ / C-. Must try harder.

cornflakes
20/07/2012, 1:28 PM
Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh ‏@Ciaran_O (https://twitter.com/Ciaran_O)
TRAP: "We follow Hoolahan & Pilkington, but we already have McCarthy, I wish see James. I wish McCarthy in midfield."

Stuttgart88
20/07/2012, 1:29 PM
TrapAPony, Fahey is injured I think, so no problem there.

Don't underestimnate the importance off August's U21 game. We have a shout at qualifying which is a total rarity at this stage in a campaign. These lads have been together for a while and could be the spine of a good senior team.

TrapAPony
20/07/2012, 1:34 PM
Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh ‏@Ciaran_O (https://twitter.com/Ciaran_O)
TRAP: "We follow Hoolahan & Pilkington, but we already have McCarthy, I wish see James. I wish McCarthy in midfield."
What does he mean by we already have McCarthy?? Hoolahan and Pilkington do not play in the same position

paul_oshea
20/07/2012, 1:37 PM
I wish to see mccarthy in midfield. You can wish to see more htan one change in midfield trap. Thats what he is saying above.

I'd have like to have seen pilkington and holohan involved, but its not a huge call. Perhaps further down the line we might see them yet. What I'm always guessing at though is whether or not Trap is aware of the likes of pearce or someone like that. These press conferences would be hte time to say we are monitoring other players who have not yet been picked such as pearce.

SwanVsDalton
20/07/2012, 1:39 PM
Keogh is a strange one. I'd have preferred another look at Stokes.

In fairness to Andy (cos he doesn't always get a fair shake), he was in great form at Millwall. I'd have left him and Stokes behind to include Hoolahan mind.

Trap On Foley (from O'Raghallaigh's Twitter): "I called Foley, spoke with him, he said he's a little bit sad. He said 'thank you, but I'm not ready at this moment, I'm disappointed'

SwanVsDalton
20/07/2012, 1:43 PM
Again from O'Raghallaigh's Twitter: "McCarthy is the main beneficiary, it seems. Set to start in Serbia, to prove he's ready for Kazakhstan away (with Andrews suspended)"

Trap also said he keeps an eye on Sean Scannell and a bunch of others (though no mention of Pearce). Would be good for an attending journo to pin him on it.

Stuttgart88
20/07/2012, 1:44 PM
I wish to see mccarthy in midfield. You can wish to see more htan one change in midfield trap. Thats what he is saying above.

I'd have like to have seen pilkington and holohan involved, but its not a huge call. Perhaps further down the line we might see them yet. What I'm always guessing at though is whether or not Trap is aware of the likes of pearce or someone like that. These press conferences would be hte time to say we are monitoring other players who have not yet been picked such as pearce.I think Trap went to see Reading (v Crystyal Palace?) last season and someone here (Tets?) said it was possibly to see Pearce. I can't imagine the FAI would not make him aware. Yes, I know everything's possible with the FAI but I still think he'd know.

I think Hoolahan out and Green in is a sign that any changes will be small. Picking an out and out playmaker over a grafter would have been a signal that ball retention, passing etc is being addressed.

paul_oshea
20/07/2012, 1:49 PM
Ya thats what i meant before, the Mccarthy comment, it looks like the one change, but not a system/tactical change. We need strategic changes at this stage not tactical!!

He is giving mileage to the "old dog new tricks" and "stubborn old dinosaur", even hodgson contends with the fact that 4-4-2 is just not cutting it anymore in the modern international game.

I don't expect Trap, to make whole hearted changes for Kazhakstan and I expect the first 3 games will be similar to the last 4 years under Trap, however these players have played together years, they know their place and the system, so using a Friendly to discover other formations/players/whatever is imperative - yet again it appears he will let us down here.

tetsujin1979
20/07/2012, 1:52 PM
possible line up is :

Westwood

Kelly O'Shea St Ledger Wilson

McGeady Whelan McCarthy McLean

Walters Long

Randolph
Forde
O'Dea
Ward
McShane
Gibson
Coleman
Green
Keogh
Treacy
Doyle
Cox

Was pointed out on twitter that this is the first post 2002 World Cup squad to not have any players from that World Cup squad.

SwanVsDalton
20/07/2012, 2:00 PM
Sounds like a typically entertaining press conference.

TRAP: "Stephen Ireland? This moment, no. It's same position as McCarthy. I say 'never say never'. We must look forward."

No clear answer on Q about tactical from Trap. Appeared to suggest he's limited by players' habits at clubs. Which is slightly confusing.

Trap asked what he learned from Euro 2012. Reiterates line about how first two minutes of Croatia/Spain cost everything.

Trap said had Ireland got a result in first game against Croatia, might have approached Spain differently, perhaps extra midfielder.

TRAP: "I would like to start the Euros again tomorrow, I'm sure it would be different. I wake thinking I want to begin again...."

Trapattoni would like to start the Euros again tomorrow - with the same team, with the same squad. He's sure there'd be a different outcome

‏TRAP: (Germany and Sweden) "I know German players' potential. But every game is 90 minutes (here we go again...)

TRAP: "Coleman. We need a defender who can attack, cross, and get back. He could do this, but for his club he plays 'front'."

TRAP - to punter: "I ask, would you play Coleman against Germany as defender." 'Yes'. "Ok, you can sit in bench next game."

paul_oshea
20/07/2012, 2:12 PM
He cant really believe that it would have gone different. Even given that we lost to Croatia, the capitulation against Spain, and the limited defeat to Italy, wouldn't matter whether we played tomorrow or next year. That kinda stubborness and failure to acknowledge that things went drastically wrong, are very frustrating. In no other job, or even other football teams, could you get away with serious underperforming and hten come out and say ah I could have done it differently, if I got to do it again. YOu will never get to do it again.

Stuttgart88
20/07/2012, 2:12 PM
I think this is how I'd pick XI players from that squad

---------------Westwood-------------
----Kelly----JOS-----SSL----Wilson---------
----------------Whelan-----------
Coleman--McCarthy--Gibson--McClean
----------------AN Other---------

(AN Other: not much to choose between Doyle, Long and Walters)

Although Whelan is lucky to keep his place.

Alternatively:

---------------Westwood-------------
----Kelly----JOS-----SSL----Wilson---------
-----------McCarthy---Gibson
Coleman----McGeady---McClean
----------------AN Other---------

Stuttgart88
20/07/2012, 2:15 PM
In no other job, or even other football teams, could you get away with serious underperforming and hten come out and say ah I could have done it differently, if I got to do it again. I think it's OK to hypothesise about having to do it again. The worrying thing is DMcD's tweet that he wouldn't change anything.

Junior
20/07/2012, 2:23 PM
I'd like option 2 there to be tried out - Its what I'd go for with Long up top.

Stuttgart88
20/07/2012, 2:31 PM
I predict Tets' team, but with Ward starting over Wilson.

Bungle
20/07/2012, 2:34 PM
I'm reasonably pleased about this squad. If I was picking it, there would have been wholesale changes, but to be fair, a balance has to be reached between the squad at euro 2012 and the squad that will take us on in to the future. I never expected massive change from Trap, so he's probably exceeded my expectations. I'm happy that the u21 players weren't called up, though I would say only Cunningham might have stood a chance.

The big positives would be that I would expect Wilson, McClean and McCarthy to start. Coleman should get a run out also - he is the type that could be invaluble in places like Kazakhstan, but I don't think Trap trusts him in any way defensively. I'm very disappointed that Clark isn't there, but maybe in future squads he might get a chance to stake his claim, as with Hoolahan etc.

It would be great if a B international could be organised.

paul_oshea
20/07/2012, 2:39 PM
I think it's OK to hypothesise about having to do it again. The worrying thing is DMcD's tweet that he wouldn't change anything.

That was an obvious pre-requisite or given on that statement, he said himself it would be different, the result, not how he went about things....

paul_oshea
20/07/2012, 2:54 PM
I predict Tets' team, but with Ward starting over Wilson.

I really really really hope not. really seriously. i will lose all faith.

SkStu
20/07/2012, 4:20 PM
there is absolutely nothing new in that squad (aside from temporary ommissions).

The message is loud and clear.

IsMiseSean
20/07/2012, 4:48 PM
I'm not that bothered/suprised about Hoolahan.
It's Ciaran Clark's omission that I'm really annoyed about, especially when McShane is named ahead of him. Clark could well be the future of our defence and a potential captain.
At least Wilson is given a chance...

Charlie Darwin
20/07/2012, 4:54 PM
McShane wasn't named ahead of Clark. They play in different positions.

IsMiseSean
20/07/2012, 4:57 PM
Are they not both CB's? With McShane covering RB and Clark being able to cover LB & CM

Charlie Darwin
20/07/2012, 4:59 PM
They would probably both prefer to be CBS but McShane is in the squad as a right full and Clark is a left full when he is in the squad. They'd both be cover for CB in a dire emergency. Wilson is in the squad ahead of Clark, McShane ahead of Foley.

shakermaker1982
20/07/2012, 7:08 PM
Why are we naming the squad now? Some players haven't even started pre season.

christo
20/07/2012, 7:27 PM
Clark is on the u21 squad as well no?

AlaskaFox
20/07/2012, 7:59 PM
Clark is on the u21 squad as well no?

Unfortunately not.He'll be 23 next month.