PDA

View Full Version : Serbia V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 15th August 2012 - Friendly

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

jbyrne
16/08/2012, 3:02 PM
Yes, exactly. Gibson-McCarthy-Fahey would mean a lot of ball-players in the middle of the park and would be a significant improvement and change of style.

I have never seen anything in Gibson that suggests he can improve our performances. In fact I would rather see Andy Reid in there than Gibson. I say this fully aware of Reids fitness issues but given that both Reid and Gibson have more or less the same levels of industry and mobility around the park I would include Reid as he is a far better passer of the ball than Gibson. However, in reality I would include neither

Charlie Darwin
16/08/2012, 3:19 PM
Gibson is a far more mobile player than Reid. That is a ridiculous statement to make.

jbyrne
16/08/2012, 3:32 PM
Gibson is a far more mobile player than Reid. That is a ridiculous statement to make.

maybe he is but he rarely shows it. i will always give Irish players the benefit of the doubt and am dying for gibson to turn into a player but his lack of industry and appetite to get stuck in is baffling

Charlie Darwin
16/08/2012, 3:34 PM
Paul McShane is full of industry and hunger to get stuck in. So is Paul Green. I don't think those are the virtues you hold them up to be. The striking thing about our midfield yesterday is that they performed better than usual without seeming to expend half the energy. When you have more bodies in the middle and more talented readers of the game, you tend not to have so much harrying and getting stuck in.

SwanVsDalton
16/08/2012, 3:39 PM
but his lack of industry and appetite to get stuck in is baffling

He is quite an industrious player imo. He gets up and down the pitch if required and when playing deep, such as for Everton or us, is constantly looking for the ball at first receiver from the defence/keeper.

He tends not to get stuck in as much, but he is willing judging by a few misjudged lunges he's aimed at opposition players from time to time. Moreover just because he's not Keith Andrews doesn't mean he's Stuart Downing.

jbyrne
16/08/2012, 3:40 PM
Paul McShane is full of industry and hunger to get stuck in. So is Paul Green. I don't think those are the virtues you hold them up to be. The striking thing about our midfield yesterday is that they performed better than usual without seeming to expend half the energy. When you have more bodies in the middle and more talented readers of the game, you tend not to have so much harrying and getting stuck in.

spain, with all their passing ability etc, always had about 3 + players around our man in possession when we played them. no team in the world can afford not to have all their midfield pressing and tackling

Charlie Darwin
16/08/2012, 3:53 PM
spain, with all their passing ability etc, always had about 3 + players around our man in possession when we played them. no team in the world can afford not to have all their midfield pressing and tackling
That's Spain though. We can't play a game at the tempo Spain play it, nobody can. You have to be intelligent in how you press and conserve your energy, hence why Paul Greeen is always knackered after 10 minutes.

jbyrne
16/08/2012, 3:58 PM
You have to be intelligent in how you press and conserve your energy

honestly, when did you last see Gibson press or chase back for anything other than a token effort?? obvioiusly you cant do it all the time but a few times a game at least would be nice.

the last time Gibson played from the start he constantly gave the ball away with his passing. we know he can pass but the standard I have seen from him time after time typifies a player who's mind isnt really as sharp for these things as it should be

Charlie Darwin
16/08/2012, 4:01 PM
I see Gibson do it plenty for Everton. Granted he's in a deeper role than he would be for Ireland, but he does do it and gets himself around the pitch. With a longer run of games under his belt I'm sure he'll easily replace either Whelan or Andrews because he's just an all-round better player.

PatJR
16/08/2012, 4:11 PM
The problem with the formation last night is that we are short on players to play as that central midfielder who is furthest forward. Someone who can link the play as well as get in the box. Fahy, Gibson, McCarthy, Whelan all suited to play a bit deeper, a bit more action with Andrews but technically weaker. Converting a winger or a striker to that role may work, maybe Robbie or Duff. I don't think McGeady or McClean are up to it. The one proven Irish player for whom the role is made for is Stephen Ireland!!

ped_ped
16/08/2012, 4:13 PM
We do need a strong, athletic player in midfield. Pity Meyler hit a wall like he did at Sunderland.

Charlie Darwin
16/08/2012, 4:33 PM
Actually he hit a patch of hard ground and caught his studs.

Murfinator
16/08/2012, 4:45 PM
The problem with the formation last night is that we are short on players to play as that central midfielder who is furthest forward. Someone who can link the play as well as get in the box. Fahy, Gibson, McCarthy, Whelan all suited to play a bit deeper, a bit more action with Andrews but technically weaker. Converting a winger or a striker to that role may work, maybe Robbie or Duff. I don't think McGeady or McClean are up to it. The one proven Irish player for whom the role is made for is Stephen Ireland!!

Duff is the guy with the attributes for it, I think McGeady could but would be better deployed out wide. Duff having the better ball control and his age lowering his pace moving him inside would make the most sense. I don't think McLean has the skillset for it, or any of the strikers.

Diarmo
16/08/2012, 6:33 PM

Wes Hoolahan?

CraftyToePoke
16/08/2012, 7:39 PM

Stephen Ireland could play it.

I know, I know.

But he could.

the bear
16/08/2012, 8:02 PM
duff would be ideal in that position at this stage of his career

SkStu
16/08/2012, 8:32 PM
Worrying communication issues again - Shane Long claims he was fit to start tonight and doesn't seem too happy. Trap says he left him out as a "precaution" http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0816/1224322258936.html

More bridges burnt?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19291354

"Giovanni Trapattoni describes Shane Long's behaviour as 'idiotic'"

NeverFeltBetter
16/08/2012, 8:58 PM
Someone's telling a fib.

Manblue
16/08/2012, 10:01 PM
Someone's telling a fib.

When is one communication issue going to be the one too many....

It's not the 80's anymore.

elroy
16/08/2012, 10:08 PM
For once I agree with you Manblue. His level of English is terrible. His press conferences need subtitles at the best of times and this continuous stream of issues with players is very very worrying.

Murfinator
16/08/2012, 11:26 PM
He's correct, if Shane Long is deemed unfit by the Irish physios then he's being childish to go against their expertise and declare himself fit. It goes into the realms of disciplinary action to go one step further and actually complain about your managers decision to the press. Shane is in the wrong here although it's ironic in a week of a lot of Irish players faking injury that we have someone faking fitness, hopefully it can be put behind them.

Noelys Guitar
17/08/2012, 12:37 AM
He's correct, if Shane Long is deemed unfit by the Irish physios then he's being childish to go against their expertise and declare himself fit. It goes into the realms of disciplinary action to go one step further and actually complain about your managers decision to the press. Shane is in the wrong here although it's ironic in a week of a lot of Irish players faking injury that we have someone faking fitness, hopefully it can be put behind them.

Its pure bull**** from Trapatonni. And no Irish physio said Long was unfit. The scan came back clear. Trapatonni changed his mind and decided (once more) to play Cox instead of Shane Long. Long is fit to play for Weat Brom against Liverpool tomorrow which says it all. To say Long is in the wrong is laughable. Long turns up to play (even though he has a new manager at West Brom to win over) and is treated shabbily by the Irish manager.

NeverFeltBetter
17/08/2012, 1:03 AM
Sounds a lot like the Foley business all over again.

Noelys Guitar
17/08/2012, 1:34 AM
Sounds a lot like the Foley business all over again.

And never forget Steven Reid who was also treated badly by the current Irish manager. And these are not trouble makers or fruitcakes like Stephen Ireland. Traps exact quote yesterday was Cox is a better tactical player than Shane Long? Cox is blameless in all this but I have yet to see him contribute in any meaningful way in any competitive game he has played in. He never looks like scoring in the serious games. Long scores against Russia at home and has never been given a proper chance by this manager.

theworm2345
17/08/2012, 2:44 AM
Not my best work, but...
http://i50.tinypic.com/of7c7b.png

Yard of Pace
17/08/2012, 3:04 AM
The writing seems to be on the wall here. It's going to get messy and disappointing, imo.

SwanVsDalton
17/08/2012, 8:13 AM
Its pure bull**** from Trapatonni. And no Irish physio said Long was unfit. The scan came back clear. Trapatonni changed his mind and decided (once more) to play Cox instead of Shane Long. Long is fit to play for Weat Brom against Liverpool tomorrow which says it all. To say Long is in the wrong is laughable. Long turns up to play (even though he has a new manager at West Brom to win over) and is treated shabbily by the Irish manager.

Just curious, but where does it say the scan came back clear? (EDIT: Never mind, just saw it in the IT.)

TBH though I think it's an impossible situation, particularly if the player decides to go to the press. Trap plays him and he gets a knock, he'd get it in the neck from West Brom/media. Apparently Long told him he was hurt so Trap decided not to risk it - no big deal, until the player decides to throw his toys. I find the 'Cox over Long' talk a bit tin-hatted.

However while I do think the manager should retain the right to get annoyed at his players, but he shouldn't have called him an idiot.

It'd be funnier if it wasn't so troubling (his Robbie impressions sounds like a keeper though). (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0817/1224322324340.html)

jbyrne
17/08/2012, 9:02 AM
maybe after the grief the management team got over the treatment of the latest dunne injury they played it cautious on this one.
its a fact long initially said he was injured and its also a fact that he needed a scan. so if long subsequently gets injured in the match even though the scan comes back clear how does that leave the management when they have to answer to west brom?

Lionel Ritchie
17/08/2012, 9:43 AM
I'm delighted to see Shane is passionate and frustrated about not playing but he's in the wrong here as Murfinator pointed out.

I can't help but feel this is the type of minor aside that gets stoked and picked at by a somewhat mischievous media element.

Incidently I believe Trap described Longs behaviour as idiotic - not quite the same as calling Long an idiot.

barney
17/08/2012, 9:50 AM
Long is wrong to run his mouth in the press like that - clearly.

Trap is still wrong for calling his behaviour idiotic in public. Deal with it directly with the player - not via the press and don't slate a player or his behaviour for something like this in public.

I hate to say this because I've backed him up to now but there are too many incidents of this nature happening. While Trap isn't the cause of some - he is the common denominator.

Fixer82
17/08/2012, 9:54 AM
Trap was riht not to risk him before start of season but this has all still been handled very poorly by the management

Charlie Darwin
17/08/2012, 9:57 AM
They both could have handled it better. We know Trap has a bit of a loose tongue but I expected better from Long, though he is understandably frustrated. It'll all blow over.

Junior
17/08/2012, 10:34 AM
I am disappointed with Long going to the press in that manner. There was only ever going to be one outcome from what he sad to them and this is what has transpired.

Fixer82
17/08/2012, 10:34 AM
True but the managemer knows better. He's been round the block a good few times. if he'd handled Long correctly I don't imagine Long would've spoken out of school like that.
This is happening too much with Trap: The two Reids, Gibson, Walters, Foley etc etc

Murfinator
17/08/2012, 10:59 AM
Trap was riht not to risk him before start of season but this has all still been handled very poorly by the management

True but the managemer knows better. He's been round the block a good few times. if he'd handled Long correctly I don't imagine Long would've spoken out of school like that.
This is happening too much with Trap: The two Reids, Gibson, Walters, Foley etc etc

Some people will criticise the management for anything. A player was told he wasn't fit by the medical staff and wasn't playing from the manager, he went over their head to the media to complain about the decision. There is one person out of line here and it's Shane Long.

If he did this at his club he'd be fined a weeks wages

Noelys Guitar
17/08/2012, 11:15 AM
Some people will criticise the management for anything. A player was told he wasn't fit by the medical staff and wasn't playing from the manager, he went over their head to the media to complain about the decision. There is one person out of line here and it's Shane Long.

If he did this at his club he'd be fined a weeks wages
Nobody from the Irish medical staff said Long was unfit to play. Trapatonni alone made the call. Why keep repeating something that isn't true. I'll speculate why he deliberately made the call on Long and it has all to do with Robbie Keane. In the rest of the press conference Trap went on to say he would be reverting to type against Kazackstan ie 442. And he sent out a public message to Keane and Dunne (Keane has yet to reply to a message Trap sent him)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/trap-plans-to-revert-to-type-204470.html

Bungle
17/08/2012, 11:18 AM
I was encouraged by Trap playing McClean and McCarthy. I was delighted that Kelly came back in to the team. I'm delighted that Westwood showed that he can be our new number 1 and possibly for a very long time. I thought O'Dea put in another very decent shift for us - is he another player that finds his best form for Ireland and puts club difficulties behind him? I thought it was good seeing O'Shea play in the centre. It was great to see Joey O'Brien come on. I really liked him as a young lad at Bolton.

It was a real pity that Wilson, Pilkington and Hoolahan couldn't make the trip. All 3 are players I would like to see in or around the starting 11. This wasn't Trap's fault, although they all should have played in the last campaign and be established players in our team/squad by now. It was a crying shame that Seamus Coleman didn't start - Trap doesn't trust him at all and would rather McShane?? I mean I can see how Coleman is still naive enough to be exposed defensively by the Germanys of this world, but he offers alot going forward and in a place like Kazakhstan would provide so much more than McShane, a player it pains me to criticise, because he loves Ireland so much, but should be nowhere near even our 2nd team, let alone starting games for us.

Big disappointment that Long didn't start - here is a player that loves putting on the green jersey and has the talent to become a very very big player for us over the next 8 or so years and would appear to have been treated like dirt, just like he was at the Euros. I can't help but feel that Trap will burn bridges with alot of our players over the next 2 years. I genuinely fear that this could get very messy, if we don't get off to a good start. I mean texting Robbie Keane, a player who has played for us for the last 14 years and has been our captain?? Why couldn't he ring him?? It's all so shabby. Trap's inability to communicate is so different to that of Michael O'Neill up North, who appears to make players feel wanted. Would Trap know about Ryan Mcloughlin of Liverpool? I doubt it. He knew about Greg Cunningham, only because Mancini let him know about him. These are the small details that are essential in the world of international managers of small/medium size countries.

Charlie Darwin
17/08/2012, 11:34 AM
He said he rang Robbie but he didn't answer.

Bungle
17/08/2012, 11:58 AM
He said he rang Robbie but he didn't answer.

I had heard that he sent him a text, but that he hadn't replied yet. If he did try and ring him, then fair enough.

For me, on the whole Trap has done a good job. He almost qualified us for a world cup and got us to the Euros with a very average team. He deserves credit for that. Very decent Irish teams have failed to qualify for tournaments and perhaps could have done with a bit of Trap's organisational abilities. When he leaves, he is likely to leave us at a far better seeding level, than what he inherited.

However, I would have serious concerns about his ability to communicate with players. The likes of S.Ireland are one thing, but he has had numerous fallings out with players. Some of these players have the potential to be very good for us in the future. Maybe, some of them are modern footballers who aren't too pushed about playing for their country and got up his back with their indifferent attitude, but it has happened to Trap, far more often, than our other previous managers for my liking. His treatment of a young lad like McCarthy, who had to put up with so much sectarian vile for playing with us, was totally insensitive. His decisions to play the likes of Paul Green ahead of McCarthy or Gibson at points throughout his tenure were both baffling and disgraceful and if I were James McCarthy, I would be wondering why did I bother playing for Ireland with decisions like that.

Like I said, in the last post, the ability to know the small detail is vital for countries like Ireland. I doubt very much that Trap has the knowledge of the talented underage players bubbling under like Carruthers or Forde etc, or the lads in the LOI that could become the next Shane Long. Does he know the lads from up North like Ryan McLoughlin who would probably love to play for us or is he chasing and finding out about the English lads of Irish descent that could make a big difference to our team and be the Aldos or Townsends of future campaigns? I don't expect Trap to know every 15 year old in the country with talent, but I do expect him to have an interest in looking at our player base and trying to broaden it where possible.

paul_oshea
17/08/2012, 12:31 PM
Ya I think everyone knows Trap doesn't put the time and effort into researching this, maybe he doesnt see it as part of his remit. That should all have been ironed out when he got the contract but I think naivety on the FAI and others at the prospect of getting a manager of his stature blinded the important details.

I dont think this is just out of the blue with Trap either. I'd say Long is(more) in the wrong here, but that he is just fecked off, with how he is being treated by Trap, and has been. He hasn't got any real chance for Ireland or regular/consistent caps. He sees the likes of journeymen like cox getting in ahead that cant even make the subs bench sometimes at his own club. He goes to the Euros sees how poor we play, still doesnt get a chance, he turns up for Serbia away, in a meaningless friendly and still doesnt get a chance to play. YOu have to feel for the lad, but this isn't a single outburst, this has been bubbling up over a long time now, and the lid came off last wednesday. He was probably wrong in this instance, but right overall. What else does a man do other than go to the press to mount his frustration? There is only so much talking you can do to the manager.

Charlie Darwin
17/08/2012, 12:38 PM
I would suspect Trap relies on Tardelli to keep him up to date on underage players, and I would guess Tardelli has a good relationship with Noel King and Paul Doolin. I'm sure Liam Brady contributes his opinion too.

SwanVsDalton
17/08/2012, 12:43 PM
Does he know the lads from up North like Ryan McLoughlin who would probably love to play for us or is he chasing and finding out about the English lads of Irish descent that could make a big difference to our team and be the Aldos or Townsends of future campaigns? I don't expect Trap to know every 15 year old in the country with talent, but I do expect him to have an interest in looking at our player base and trying to broaden it where possible.

Regardless how you feel about them - Westwood, Green, McClean suggest otherwise. I don't think Trap has great knowledge of who might come through but I do think the people around him alert him fairly quickly when they are on the radar. Particularly Tardelli who I reckons knows quite a bit of what's going on between scouting and just being more present.

TBH I think the argument's a bit of a red herring - as yet, no one has really slipped through the cracks. He hasn't picked Hoolahan, Pilkington etc simply because he hasn't wanted to pick them. Ryan McLaughlin isn't off the table yet but, even then, there's a 200 odd page on this forum indicating the strife related to calling up northerners. Simply put if McLaughlin wants to play ROI ball all he has to do is declare.

He goes to the Euros sees how poor we play, still doesnt get a chance, he turns up for Serbia away, in a meaningless friendly and still doesnt get a chance to play. YOu have to feel for the lad, but this isn't a single outburst, this has been bubbling up over a long time now, and the lid came off last wednesday. He was probably wrong in this instance, but right overall. What else does a man do other than go to the press to mount his frustration? There is only so much talking you can do to the manager.

It's not just you that's mentioned it, but I can't stand this 'he turned up for a meaningless friendly and was badly treated' argument. Long should turn up - he was fit, he was called up, he should go. So should anyone, within reason, imo. It's their job and pretty sweet one at that.

As for chances, Trap picked Long for squads and teams regularly when he was shooting blanks for Reading. Regardless of frustration I'd suggest if Long wanted to maximise his chances, he should've kept schtum. It's not like he's Kevin Foley or Wes Hoolahan, Trap quite evidently likes him.

With Keane possibly being eased out, even retiring, Long is Trap's recorded preferred replacement. Who knows what he is now.

Junior
17/08/2012, 12:50 PM
His treatment of a young lad like McCarthy, who had to put up with so much sectarian vile for playing with us, was totally insensitive. His decisions to play the likes of Paul Green ahead of McCarthy or Gibson at points throughout his tenure were both baffling and disgraceful and if I were James McCarthy, I would be wondering why did I bother playing for Ireland with decisions like that.

Some good posts there Bungle but just on the above point. I think this gets lost on players quite a bit, when they retire early or say in the case of Foley currently standing down from being available for selection because of the issue with Trap (Pre Euro's).

You are choosing to play for your country (if indeed a choice is required at all), you are not choosing to play under a certain manager or under a certain system, you are making yourself available to represent your country and play if selected. Managers, formations change all the time but the principle of representing your country doesnt change.

All IMO of course and I suppose players who choose their nationality based on a career choice would beg to differ. James certainly doesnt fall in to that category.

Bungle
17/08/2012, 1:43 PM
Some good posts there Bungle but just on the above point. I think this gets lost on players quite a bit, when they retire early or say in the case of Foley currently standing down from being available for selection because of the issue with Trap (Pre Euro's).

You are choosing to play for your country (if indeed a choice is required at all), you are not choosing to play under a certain manager or under a certain system, you are making yourself available to represent your country and play if selected. Managers, formations change all the time but the principle of representing your country doesnt change.

All IMO of course and I suppose players who choose their nationality based on a career choice would beg to differ. James certainly doesnt fall in to that category.

Fair point there.

Bungle
17/08/2012, 1:48 PM
Regardless how you feel about them - Westwood, Green, McClean suggest otherwise. I don't think Trap has great knowledge of who might come through but I do think the people around him alert him fairly quickly when they are on the radar. Particularly Tardelli who I reckons knows quite a bit of what's going on between scouting and just being more present. TBH I think the argument's a bit of a red herring - as yet, no one has really slipped through the cracks. He hasn't picked Hoolahan, Pilkington etc simply because he hasn't wanted to pick them. Ryan McLaughlin isn't off the table yet but, even then, there's a 200 odd page on this forum indicating the strife related to calling up northerners. Simply put if McLaughlin wants to play ROI ball all he has to do is declare.

It's not just you that's mentioned it, but I can't stand this 'he turned up for a meaningless friendly and was badly treated' argument. Long should turn up - he was fit, he was called up, he should go. So should anyone, within reason, imo. It's their job and pretty sweet one at that.

As for chances, Trap picked Long for squads and teams regularly when he was shooting blanks for Reading. Regardless of frustration I'd suggest if Long wanted to maximise his chances, he should've kept schtum. It's not like he's Kevin Foley or Wes Hoolahan, Trap quite evidently likes him.

With Keane possibly being eased out, even retiring, Long is Trap's recorded preferred replacement. Who knows what he is now.

I have been very impressed with Tardelli. I get the impression that he is quietly in Trap's ear about certain players and that if he were manager, then he might be more likely to give lads a go. He comes across as the kind of guy who is very open to listening to others and would seek out people like Noel King. As much as I have a liking for Trap as a person and would respect his considerable achievements in the game, I'm less sure if he'd be so likely to shoot the breeze with Noel about our u21s etc.

Bungle
17/08/2012, 1:50 PM
Ya I think everyone knows Trap doesn't put the time and effort into researching this, maybe he doesnt see it as part of his remit. That should all have been ironed out when he got the contract but I think naivety on the FAI and others at the prospect of getting a manager of his stature blinded the important details.I dont think this is just out of the blue with Trap either. I'd say Long is(more) in the wrong here, but that he is just fecked off, with how he is being treated by Trap, and has been. He hasn't got any real chance for Ireland or regular/consistent caps. He sees the likes of journeymen like cox getting in ahead that cant even make the subs bench sometimes at his own club. He goes to the Euros sees how poor we play, still doesnt get a chance, he turns up for Serbia away, in a meaningless friendly and still doesnt get a chance to play. YOu have to feel for the lad, but this isn't a single outburst, this has been bubbling up over a long time now, and the lid came off last wednesday. He was probably wrong in this instance, but right overall. What else does a man do other than go to the press to mount his frustration? There is only so much talking you can do to the manager.

Good point that. I think the FAI were so relieved to be getting a proven top manager after the mess of the previous regime, that I'd say there was very little in the way of ironing out what would be expected of Trap.

jbyrne
17/08/2012, 2:41 PM
Nobody from the Irish medical staff said Long was unfit to play. Trapatonni alone made the call. Why keep repeating something that isn't true. I'll speculate why he deliberately made the call on Long and it has all to do with Robbie Keane. In the rest of the press conference Trap went on to say he would be reverting to type against Kazackstan ie 442. And he sent out a public message to Keane and Dunne (Keane has yet to reply to a message Trap sent him)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/trap-plans-to-revert-to-type-204470.html

so why was Long sent for a scan?

paul_oshea
17/08/2012, 3:04 PM

Ya post olympic hangover perhaps i got caught up in the wave of the olympics buzz over here. Playing for your country is never meaningless. But having said that , my point pretty much still stands, there wasnt even a game played of the new season when lads were pulled from their clubs, especially someone like long who needs to impress, and brought on international duty, after an olympics where many are questioning football players in light of the conduct, humility and professionalism of the olympic athletes, turning out for your country like you have done in years gone by only to be shunted for lessser lights, in your opinion, even when you have a decent international goal-scoring record, with decent performances to match, when so many others have pulled out, you have seen a terrible Euro campaign all from the bench, having never fairly been given a consisten run, or even run of games, given when you have played you have performed admirably, even you would question a decision whereby you believe you are fit and then the manager protrays - like i said with foley before the euros - to the media and everyone else you were not, to cover his own backside because he wanted to make a change. Especially if you don't realise the manager might feel in a better position to judge your fitness.

SwanVsDalton
17/08/2012, 3:56 PM
Ya post olympic hangover perhaps i got caught up in the wave of the olympics buzz over here. Playing for your country is never meaningless. But having said that , my point pretty much still stands, there wasnt even a game played of the new season when lads were pulled from their clubs, especially someone like long who needs to impress, and brought on international duty, after an olympics where many are questioning football players in light of the conduct, humility and professionalism of the olympic athletes, turning out for your country like you have done in years gone by only to be shunted for lessser lights, in your opinion, even when you have a decent international goal-scoring record, with decent performances to match, when so many others have pulled out, you have seen a terrible Euro campaign all from the bench, having never fairly been given a consisten run, or even run of games, given when you have played you have performed admirably, even you would question a decision whereby you believe you are fit and then the manager protrays - like i said with foley before the euros - to the media and everyone else you were not, to cover his own backside because he wanted to make a change. Especially if you don't realise the manager might feel in a better position to judge your fitness.

I can see Long's frustration, a lot of sympathy in that regard. But Trap's said he sees him specifically as Keane's successor (a worthy title), so seems certain he'll be getting plenty of chances very soon (or would've have been, permitting any extra fall out).

Also I really don't buy any suggestion Trap's playing silly buggers by selecting Long but then withdrawing him under false pretenses - it just doesn't make sense. Not sure if you're actually suggesting this, but seen it mentioned a couple of times...

Firstly if Trap's trying to cover himself, it's evidently creating a lot of heat (same with Foley).

Secondly, and more importantly, I just can't see why Gio Trapattoni, a famously obdurate and combative presence, would be afraid of just dropping someone or not playing him. He's hasn't been afraid of it with the Reid's, Foley, countless others and he certainly hasn't been afraid of going toe-to-toe with the media over his selections. If he didn't want to play Long, he just wouldn't play him.

Murfinator
17/08/2012, 4:03 PM
so why was Long sent for a scan?

Its a Robbie Keane conspiracy, don't let the facts get in the way. :p