PDA

View Full Version : Serbia V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 15th August 2012 - Friendly

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

DannyInvincible
15/08/2012, 7:04 PM
Fast and open start. Good to see us passing it around rather than playing hoofball. Walters is terrific at winning free-kicks; great asset to have in and around the box.

DannyInvincible
15/08/2012, 7:05 PM
Any streams lads?

Setanta Sports stream: http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/66577/1/serbia-vs-republic-of-ireland--live-stream-online.html

tricky_colour
15/08/2012, 7:06 PM
Any streams lads?

http://www.yycast.com/stream333333333

I'm on http://www.yycast.com/stream333333333

seems a bit choppy though.

DannyInvincible
15/08/2012, 7:07 PM
Good save from Westwood after the shot took two deflections. Half-chance for Walters there.

EastTerracer
15/08/2012, 7:08 PM
"Westwood did good".... shocking grammar there!

DannyInvincible
15/08/2012, 7:10 PM
"Westwood did good".... shocking grammar there!

Westwood done good, surely! :P

geysir
15/08/2012, 7:12 PM
Good and wise choice to play McClean centrally instead of McGeady :)
McCarthy has to be nailed on the team sheet from now on.

fionnsci
15/08/2012, 7:16 PM
Christ on a bicycle, this is a bad match. Nice effort from Whelan though.

IsMiseSean
15/08/2012, 7:18 PM
I'd love to see Long given the lone striker role.

DannyInvincible
15/08/2012, 7:27 PM
McClean on the left and McGeady over on the right now.

geysir
15/08/2012, 7:31 PM
Walters is doing very well so far.
This is some of the best we have performed under Trap, lump it long accurately to the head of Walters on occasion, along with composure in midfield, an actual midfielder moving into space to receive the ball and pass it on comfortably. Full backs getting forward. Bizarre stuff indeed.

EastTerracer
15/08/2012, 7:32 PM
Stephen Kelly must have had a bad wrist break back in March - his hand is still in bandages (maybe even a light cast).

paul_oshea
15/08/2012, 7:38 PM
Mccarthy annoynmous for large parts, mainly due to us not having that much possession, but when we have had possession up in their half, the clearances are coming to him, normally we wouldn't have anyone to pick up those balls and would be on the back foot/open to counter attack. McClean has been lively but little real end product. I don't think ive seen a player give away so many frees everytime the ball is hit to him, but Walters is probably not match fit ,and did do better as the game wore on. Full backs have been absolutely woeful. O'Dea having a great first half, surprised at his pace also. We badly need a ball playing centre we have passed it around nicely but everytime hit to the CBs its hoofball that ends up back at Serbia, just like watching old Ireland again.

Some bright lights that hopefully can be developed and improved upon. Lets seee how the second half goes.

EastTerracer
15/08/2012, 7:41 PM
I'd like to see Coleman get a run on the right-side of midfield (maybe in place of Cox) just to give him a chance in this formation.

geysir
15/08/2012, 7:47 PM
There will be a few subs so Coleman should get on but I'd be happy enough with not disturbing the flow, it will take a few games to get this type play going but James is the man and Whelan looks solid in the Lee Carsley role.

Irish_Praha
15/08/2012, 8:14 PM
Thanks for the updates lads. Due to various reasons I'm only following the game on here.
So we are playing only a slightly different brand of football and it is probably due to having a decent CMF player (McCarthy) in there for change and not due to any tactical changes?

DannyInvincible
15/08/2012, 8:17 PM
Westwood makes a very good save from a Serbian free-kick in a very dangerous position. Keogh on for McClean now. Green also came on for Whelan a while ago.

EastTerracer
15/08/2012, 8:19 PM
Irish_Praha, I think that would be a harsh assessment. There has clearly been an instruction from the manager to retain the ball more and the formation (4-5-1) does provide more passing options when we are on the ball.

McCarthy does make a difference because he is clearly comfortable on the ball and is not afraid to pass it. Not all of our players look that comfortable though, which is why we occasionally hoof the ball forward when we come under pressure.

EastTerracer
15/08/2012, 8:25 PM
Joey O'Brien & Seamus Coleman on for Walters and McGeady.

Welcome back Joey!

DannyInvincible
15/08/2012, 8:25 PM
O'Brien and Coleman come on for Walters and McGeady. Cox is the lone man up front now.

Very impressed with Westwood tonight. A reassuring performance now that Shay has retired.

DannyInvincible
15/08/2012, 8:28 PM
Has Coleman bulked up a bit? Maybe it's just the white jersey...

paul_oshea
15/08/2012, 8:31 PM
im watching a Stream for premier sports, trap does an awful lot of shouting at players.

DannyInvincible
15/08/2012, 8:41 PM
Ends 0-0 as we survive a late Serbian flurry. Drab enough second half from an Irish perspective. Didn't create a huge deal other than a Walters half-chance from a McClean cross.

geysir
15/08/2012, 8:48 PM
We didn't get run ragged until the end,
We use to endure a lot more of that throughout the match.
Agreed on Westwood, dare I say it - he is our nr.1 nowadays. I have to say, Kerr in the studio has the game sussed, spot on.

Manblue
15/08/2012, 8:55 PM
Two very poor teams on show
Positives
-Westwood did all that was asked of him quite comfortably
-McCarthy very composed on ball, picked up a lot of loose possession and got forward well on occasion
- tried hard, got one or two decent crosses in, unfortunately Very little in box
-Clean sheet

Negatives
-Full backs....just shocking all round, lost count how many times their men got in behind them
-Whelan.... Seriously imobile, no need to have two such deep lying midfielders when McCarthy does it comfortably ESP in a 5 man midfield
-McLean...new Stephen hunt, shocking when central and constantly taking wrong option
when put out wide, headless chicken, should stick to what he does well...kick - chase- cross
-Gap between striker and midfield to large, no link man
-O dea done a few times
-O sheas distribution hard to watch

DannyInvincible
15/08/2012, 8:57 PM
just a quick note to say that in the days before and after the match there is a beer festival on in Belgrade... on the 18th, the Orthodox Celts (who sing Dubliner songs etc) are playing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDTlQ9xgtGk

Bizarre.

Colbert Report
15/08/2012, 10:04 PM
Sorry, but I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread. Why did St. Ledger and Fahey miss out on being included? Were they both injured? I saw Fahey on twitter asking if the match was on tv or not.

pineapple stu
15/08/2012, 10:05 PM
Notice the names on the back of the jerseys. Is this a thing now?
Hope not. Not sure what the numbers were either. Thought it was Euro 2012 squad numbers until I saw McClean as number 11.

Also, was that the most tattooed Irish team ever? Westwood, Keogh, Whelan, Green - all large tattoos on their arms.

Other than that, as per other posters on here. First half decent; second half much quieter. Westwood very reassuring, as he has been in previous appearances. Nobody really shone though. Serbia weren't great.

Roll on Kazakhstan!

EastTerracer
15/08/2012, 10:18 PM
Sorry, but I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread. Why did St. Ledger and Fahey miss out on being included? Were they both injured? I saw Fahey on twitter asking if the match was on tv or not.

They are both injured and expected to miss the Kazakhstan game too.

Charlie Darwin
15/08/2012, 11:03 PM
I only saw the second half, but from what I saw we passed very poorly, particularly after Green, Coleman and Keogh were introduced, although McClean was also very loose. From what Matt Holland said, the first half wasn't much better but I will withhold judgement. I think McCarthy has to be a nailed on starter now, and we really need him, McGeady and Duff in the team, particularly if Keane is eased out. Frustrating to see so many loose passes, but at least the intent is there.

Lionel Ritchie
15/08/2012, 11:11 PM
Hope not. Not sure what the numbers were either. Thought it was Euro 2012 squad numbers until I saw McClean as number 11.

Also, was that the most tattooed Irish team ever? Westwood, Keogh, Whelan, Green - all large tattoos on their arms.

Other than that, as per other posters on here. First half decent; second half much quieter. Westwood very reassuring, as he has been in previous appearances. Nobody really shone though. Serbia weren't great.

Roll on Kazakhstan!

Don't mind the squad numbers at all. Some weak "body art" on show though. Is this how professional footballers fill their midweek afternoons? LA Ink on DMAX follwed by a quick nip down the tatparlour to have some chap with a pierced chap and chipped teeth doodle all over them?

Crosby87
15/08/2012, 11:25 PM
Was kinda hoping they would score today.

Charlie Darwin
15/08/2012, 11:27 PM
With those tats, surely some of them will be scoring this weekend.

EastTerracer
16/08/2012, 12:19 AM
Worrying communication issues again - Shane Long claims he was fit to start tonight and doesn't seem too happy. Trap says he left him out as a "precaution" http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0816/1224322258936.html

Noelys Guitar
16/08/2012, 1:01 AM
Fairly bizarre stuff all right East Terracer. Looks like Trapatonni changed his mind and decided to start Cox instead of Long. The injury stuff sounds like nonsense.

theworm2345
16/08/2012, 1:25 AM
Just watched it now, exactly as dire as I expected it to be. Only thing that stood out to me was Kelly had a nightmare at left back, was repeatedly skinned.

tricky_colour
16/08/2012, 2:51 AM
Worrying communication issues again - Shane Long claims he was fit to start tonight and doesn't seem too happy. Trap says he left him out as a "precaution" http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0816/1224322258936.html

I can believe that, Trap is not one for throwing caution to the wind.
He is probably right though, why take a risk now, there is no point.
It was a safe time to try other things so a positive exercise from that point of view.

tricky_colour
16/08/2012, 2:52 AM
Fairly bizarre stuff all right East Terracer. Looks like Trapatonni changed his mind and decided to start Cox instead of Long. The injury stuff sounds like nonsense.

Trap does seem to like his Cox. ;)

SkStu
16/08/2012, 4:05 AM
But not long cox. Too much for him to handle obviously.

ifk101
16/08/2012, 6:13 AM
The highlight of the game was McShane lifting the ball to himself and trying to score a volley from 40 yards out. Needless to say it went 40 yards wide. :-)

geysir
16/08/2012, 6:49 AM
Just watched it now, exactly as dire as I expected it to be. Only thing that stood out to me was Kelly had a nightmare at left back, was repeatedly skinned.
If you want to be gloomy about Ireland football, nearly every game we have played against decent opposition would have given you plenty of cause and much more cause than this game provided. This game provided some optimism in the important areas of concern and by a long shot it was the game providing the most optimism we have ever managed in a friendly. Some might say the game against Norway in Oslo had that, but imo Norway were practicing their 'holding game' and we had Steven Reid in the middle.
We did well considering we were trying something new - playing football against a technically superior team - and considering in the back 4 we had McShane who could do anything crazy at any time, along with Kelly who had an unusually poor game defensively.
Time after time, in between the hoofs to Walters, we tried to play the ball out of defense through midfield. The ball was retained well at times and our closing down in midfield was about the best we have ever managed. Chances at either end were minimal. McCarthy did what he does for Wigan, take up intelligent positions in midfield, some people think that makes him look anonymous - not involved - not running throwing his weight around, but he was at the centre of all that was positive, closing down, comfortably receiving and delivering the ball, he will gradually become the effective main man over the course of this campaign.
There is much to be improved upon in this upcoming WC qualifying campaign, with defining our shape according to the ability of the available players but instead of realistically looking at a distant 3rd or 4th place in the group, we just might make a fight of it for 2nd place.

jbyrne
16/08/2012, 8:27 AM
we got as much out of this game as I had hoped. signs of a new system and solid performances from the likes of o'dea, westwood, mccarthy and oshea who we will have to rely on heavily over the next few months. we also had the better of the possession which we havent seen in quite a while.

the one disappointment was the lack of real chances we created. four goals in 7 games since we beat Estonia 4-0 is worrying.

Lionel Ritchie
16/08/2012, 9:53 AM
The highlight of the game was McShane lifting the ball to himself and trying to score a volley from 40 yards out. Needless to say it went 40 yards wide. :-)

Has anyone a photo of McShane with his headband? I hear Arsene Wenger has come into a few quid.

Noelys Guitar
16/08/2012, 12:09 PM
I thought we would be fine in this game as Serbia play in second gear in these types of matches. Westwood played well and should have started against Spain in the Euros as a few of us advocated. McCarthy proved he is a good player when on the ball. Amazingly! looks to receive the ball (something Dunne had been trying to hammer home since the Russia home defeat). Two players who should have been playing in Poland and never got a minutes play. The player who should be beside McCarthy in midfield is Pilkington (not a winger McClean or Cox a forward). Not even considered for the squad. More pace and better engine than Whelan or Andrews. And you cannot have two full backs like McShane and Kelly getting so easily bypassed. And we don't look like scoring goals and it is going to be our downfall against Kazackstan.

jbyrne
16/08/2012, 12:23 PM
The player who should be beside McCarthy in midfield is Pilkington (not a winger McClean or Cox a forward). Not even considered for the squad.

has he said he wanted to play for Ireland? I thought he said the opposite yet his name keeps getting mentioned in relation to us

OwlsFan
16/08/2012, 12:24 PM
Pilkington was contacted about being in the squad but was injured.

I counted Walters gave away 10 frees and was awarded 3. Poor return. Cox 2 or 3 good runs but for the most part anonymous. Whatever people say about him, we will need Robbie to score goals which he does well especially against the likes Khazikstan. The other alternatives in Shane and Kevin, I am not sure about as top goal scorers.

Second half was dire I thought but I wouldn't expect much better with a team including McShane, Green, Kelly (out of position) and Keogh. We didn't surrender much to the opposition and that's Trap's way.

Another away match unbeaten with some pretty poor players wearing green. Why McShane dives in and then gets left behind baffles me. Does he not know about shadowing after all this time? Won headers in the box and that's why he is in the team.

I am not convinced about Mclean but it was a poor pitch which wouldn't suit his game.Jury out. McCarthy did ok but gave away one very dangerous ball on the edge of our box. However, he must play.

Great to see Joey O'Brien back after career threatening injuries.

Brian Kerr (on the panel) still has huge chips on his shoulder.

So on to the qualifiers. Clean sheet. Poland in the past.

elroy
16/08/2012, 1:15 PM
Pilkington was contacted about being in the squad but was injured.

I counted Walters gave away 10 frees and was awarded 3. Poor return. Cox 2 or 3 good runs but for the most part anonymous. Whatever people say about him, we will need Robbie to score goals which he does well especially against the likes Khazikstan. The other alternatives in Shane and Kevin, I am not sure about as top goal scorers.

Second half was dire I thought but I wouldn't expect much better with a team including McShane, Green, Kelly (out of position) and Keogh. We didn't surrender much to the opposition and that's Trap's way.

Another away match unbeaten with some pretty poor players wearing green. Why McShane dives in and then gets left behind baffles me. Does he not know about shadowing after all this time? Won headers in the box and that's why he is in the team.

I am not convinced about Mclean but it was a poor pitch which wouldn't suit his game.Jury out. McCarthy did ok but gave away one very dangerous ball on the edge of our box. However, he must play.

Great to see Joey O'Brien back after career threatening injuries.

Brian Kerr (on the panel) still has huge chips on his shoulder.

So on to the qualifiers. Clean sheet. Poland in the past.

Agree with the majority of this. August friendlies are badly timed and generally are a case of going through the notions. I think mentally it was good to keep a clean sheet and get a game in after the Euros. Nice to try out a few different things and players. McShane varies from the very good to the down right ridiculous. The times he dives in when there is no need - lost count of the times I was screaming at him last night to just stand and shield his man. Left back in particular was a concern last night and looks like it will do so for a while yet. Duff did alot of unappreciated defensive work - if he stays I wonder could he be considered for LB? Probably not, I recall Mourinho played him there a few times (?).

I like Walters as a striker, he is strong not easy to mark and tends to get a decent few goals. I believe he would be well complemented with Long, who I expect to have a good season this year. Disappointed he didnt play and good to see that he was too. Probably the right call by Trap, if the lad got injured and was out for a few weeks, many would question Traps decision to play him.

Hibs4Ever
16/08/2012, 1:33 PM
has he said he wanted to play for Ireland? I thought he said the opposite yet his name keeps getting mentioned in relation to us

Was thinking same. Followed him on twitter for a while, he is obsessed with the England national team, never seen him mention us on international match nights

the bear
16/08/2012, 2:27 PM
The player who should be beside McCarthy in midfield is Pilkington (not a winger McClean or Cox a forward). Not even considered for the squad. More pace and better engine than Whelan or Andrews.

Is Pilkington not a winger as well?? Keith Fahey and Gibson beside McCarthy for me, hopefully Meyler steps up this season. I would have nothing against Andrews being included either, just not Whelo.

p2011
16/08/2012, 2:53 PM
Is Pilkington not a winger as well?? Keith Fahey and Gibson beside McCarthy for me, hopefully Meyler steps up this season. I would have nothing against Andrews being included either, just not Whelo.

Yes, exactly. Gibson-McCarthy-Fahey would mean a lot of ball-players in the middle of the park and would be a significant improvement and change of style.