PDA

View Full Version : Serbia V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 15th August 2012 - Friendly

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Charlie Darwin
14/08/2012, 8:44 PM
I'd be more interested in a list of players Murfinator thinks can cut it at this level.

the bear
14/08/2012, 9:10 PM
I'd be more interested in a list of players Murfinator thinks can cut it at this level.

o'driscoll
sexton
o'gara
etc.

the bear
14/08/2012, 9:12 PM
Does anyone think this friendly is going to mark a change in philosophy and tactics from trap?

Colbert Report
14/08/2012, 9:17 PM
Nope.

http://soundcloud.com/off-the-ball/kenny-cunningham-on-trap

Murfinator
14/08/2012, 9:18 PM
Murfinator, do you actually go to any Ireland matches? I know you have admitted on here before that you are more of a rugby fan but just interested if you ever go to football matches.

Yes, plenty. I'm sorry you don't agree with my assessment of a lad with 4 months professional experience but I'm sure we'll see whos right in time. He'll be in the championship or SPL within the next 2 years.

EastTerracer
14/08/2012, 9:23 PM
Yes, plenty. I'm sorry you don't agree with my assessment of a lad with 4 months professional experience but I'm sure we'll see whos right in time. He'll be in the championship or SPL within the next 2 years.

I never said I disagreed with you - you are perfectly entitled to hold your opinion.

I just asked the question out of interest because I don't ever recall you saying you were at a game and you have frequently commented that you aren't a fan of football supporters etc.

Murfinator
14/08/2012, 9:24 PM

Given
Westwood (with adequate experience)
O'Shea (At CB)
Kelly
Dunne
St.Ledger
Clark
Wilson (after a personality transplant)
Kilbane
Harte
Whelan
Andrews
McCarthy
Gibson
Hoolahan
Lawrence
Pilkington (if eligible)
McGeady
Duff
Hunt
Ireland
Long
Keane
Walters
Doyle

Murfinator
14/08/2012, 9:35 PM
I never said I disagreed with you - I just asked the question out of interest because I don't ever recall you saying you were at a game and you have frequently commented that you aren't a fan of football supporters etc.

I go when I can to qualifiers, I don't have the luxury of making mid-week games because of the travel distance. I follow all of the big 4 sports in this country and frequent many games between them, like you mentioned the soccer crowd is the one I think the worst. Something that reared its head again last week when a Man City game was in Thomond, a venue which I know well and know what a usually family safe and vibrant atmosphere it is. The people there that night were very different.
Though trying to get someone to commit themselves to one sport is an argument best held on the playground, I'm not sure why you're bringing it up in a thread about a Serbia friendly. If you want to know further personal details about me there's a PM system. :cool:

EastTerracer
14/08/2012, 9:47 PM
I go when I can to qualifiers, I don't have the luxury of making mid-week games because of the travel distance. I follow all of the big 4 sports in this country and frequent many games between them, like you mentioned the soccer crowd is the one I think the worst. Something that reared its head again last week when a Man City game was in Thomond, a venue which I know well and know what a usually family safe and vibrant atmosphere it is. The people there that night were very different.
Though trying to get someone to commit themselves to one sport is an argument best held on the playground, I'm not sure why you're bringing it up in a thread about a Serbia friendly. If you want to know further personal details about me there's a PM system. :cool:

Again, you are reading much more into this than I intended. I did not ask you to commit yourself to one sport and I genuinely am not trying to antagonise you.

It's interesting to get perspectives from all football supporters - we have people posting here from all over the world and I am genuinely interested in understanding where those perspectives are coming from. Apologies if you took any offence to my question.

Charlie Darwin
14/08/2012, 9:52 PM
Soccer fans tend not to be the most polite at their worst but all of the worst instances of rowdiness and sporting violence in this country emanate from one sport and one sport only. Well, two.

pineapple stu
14/08/2012, 11:24 PM
I'm puzzled. So when will a chance arise, if ever, to change (or even experiment with) the system if now supposedly isn't suitable?
The gist seemed to be that Trap has been working on this system the last 40 years, so by God, it'll work now.

Supreme feet
14/08/2012, 11:55 PM
The gist seemed to be that Trap has been working on this system the last 40 years, so by God, it'll work now.

Trap played a 3-5-2 with Fiorentina. Rui Costa in a free role, Batistuta up front with Balbo, Torricelli and Di Livio attacking full-backs, playing decent football. In fairness, if Trap thinks he has players of sufficient quality, he'll adapt the system accordingly.

Crosby87
15/08/2012, 12:12 AM
Do you all still have Euro hangover or are you (relatively) psyched for this friendly?

Charlie Darwin
15/08/2012, 12:33 AM
I'm looking forward to (possibly) not conceding a rake of goals for a change. And to think a few months ago we were complaining about 0-0s!

NeverFeltBetter
15/08/2012, 1:18 AM
I'm looking at this game with a far more critical eye than a normally would a friendly. Changes need to be made, not just in players but in tactics and I just doubt that I'm going to be satisfied. Whelan still being placed in midfield baffles me.

tricky_colour
15/08/2012, 1:49 AM
Does anyone think this friendly is going to mark a change in philosophy and tactics from trap?

More likely-hood of Mullah Omar appearing on Celebrity Big Brother.

EastTerracer
15/08/2012, 2:13 AM
Do you all still have Euro hangover or are you (relatively) psyched for this friendly?

After thirty-five years watching this team I still get excited by every game (even the dreaded August friendly). The Euros were tough but we have to look forward.

World Cup qualification starts in four weeks - that means far more to me than the start of the English season, La Liga or the Champions League.

Diarmo
15/08/2012, 2:14 AM
I'm looking at this game with a far more critical eye than a normally would a friendly. Changes need to be made, not just in players but in tactics and I just doubt that I'm going to be satisfied. Whelan still being placed in midfield baffles me.

Agreed on giving it a more critical eye. As for Whelan, with all the withdrawals, there's no one else to play there at this stage. Only Green and O'Brien, and I'd actually trust both of them less in midfield than Whelan.

Speaking of which, does anyone remember the daft way Cox was positioned in the Spain game. It seemed we were trying a 4-4-1-1, with Cox kind of hovering between Robbie and the midfield, doing a lot of running and generally looking lost. The same happened with McCarthy in the Uruguay game. I genuinely hope that if we do try a 4-5-1/4-3-3 variant, it's with a bit more tactical nous. We shall see, I suppose.

p2011
15/08/2012, 7:20 AM
Speaking of which, does anyone remember the daft way Cox was positioned in the Spain game. It seemed we were trying a 4-4-1-1, with Cox kind of hovering between Robbie and the midfield, doing a lot of running and generally looking lost. The same happened with McCarthy in the Uruguay game. I genuinely hope that if we do try a 4-5-1/4-3-3 variant, it's with a bit more tactical nous. We shall see, I suppose.

I agree. And selling this nonsense as 4-5-1 is codology. Putting someone like Cox in the number 10 role (v Spain) or perhaps Walters or Long today v Serbia and then going afterwards "look, it didn't work!" is nonsense. Cox/Walters/whoever just isn't this type of player. And Trap just doesn't really pick no. 10s in his squads. The whole point of a fifth man in midfield is to add passing ability and give the other midfielders and defenders an extra out ball, to clog up the passing lanes when we don't have the ball and to hound someone like Pirlo, and then to add creativity going forward.

In our specific case, the aim would be to avoid the goalkeeper/defenders pumping the ball up long and giving possession right back to the opposition after about 5 seconds, which has been our undoing for the last 2+ years against good and mediocre teams alike. If Tardelli/Trap can't see this, then I despair of the present regime.

the bear
15/08/2012, 8:11 AM
match on setanta ireland live 7.45

AlaskaFox
15/08/2012, 8:20 AM
Trap played a 3-5-2 with Fiorentina. Rui Costa in a free role, Batistuta up front with Balbo, Torricelli and Di Livio attacking full-backs, playing decent football. In fairness, if Trap thinks he has players of sufficient quality, he'll adapt the system accordingly.

And 4-3-3 with Italy and Juventus.

ifk101
15/08/2012, 9:39 AM
Trapattoni has used the same tactics and formation under his 4 years of management. Can you change an approach you have drilled into your players for four years, hold your hands up and say I was wrong with the approach, and expect to keep the trust, support and belief of your players?

Agree that the tactics Trapattoni has chosen to employ with us are a reflection of what he thinks of our players' individual qualities - he doesn't believe they can play ball at the top level.

Ideally Trapattoni should move aside now and let somebody else come in to handle the generation change and needed new direction.

Straightstory
15/08/2012, 9:47 AM
After thirty-five years watching this team I still get excited by every game (even the dreaded August friendly). The Euros were tough but we have to look forward.

World Cup qualification starts in four weeks - that means far more to me than the start of the English season, La Liga or the Champions League.

... or the League of Ireland, presumably. I've been watching the team for over thirty five years, and I've never been less interested. I find the League of Ireland, with all it's problems, far more interesting these days.

Noelys Guitar
15/08/2012, 11:53 AM
I think we will do OK against Serbia. They never get our of second gear in any friendly I've ever seen them play. But it will only paper over the problems we are going to face against Kazackstan in a match that really matters. I'm not talking about a Cyprus 5-2 overrun type Stan shambles but a 1-1 draw against Kaz. We just about beat Armenia away 1-0 but that was after some very good recent results against France and Italy. We are going into the game against Kazackstan with Dunne missing, McShane possibly playing and loads of confusion surrounding the team. I can see Trapatonni settling for a point in Kazackstan.

tetsujin1979
15/08/2012, 1:24 PM
Did anyone look up Kazakhstan's home results from the Euro qualifiers?
They only scored two goals, and they came in the same game against Azerbaijan. They're only other point at home was a 0-0 against Austria. In the other three games, they conceded 8 goals without reply.
Are we seriously at the point where missing Dunne, Given, and possibly St Ledger means we're not going to get a result there?

Charlie Darwin
15/08/2012, 1:28 PM
That just means they're overdue a 5-0 win.

IsMiseSean
15/08/2012, 1:39 PM
According to James McClean's twitter account. He is playing CM tonight???
"great weather for the game! cant wait for tonights game! new position in centre mid! #decent ha #COYBIG #eireabu"
James McClean (https://twitter.com/JMcC_23)

Closed Account
15/08/2012, 1:39 PM
McClean reckons he's playing CM tonight.

great weather for the game! cant wait for tonights game! new position in centre mid! #decent (https://twitter.com/search/?src=hash&q=%23decent) ha #COYBIG (https://twitter.com/search/?src=hash&q=%23COYBIG) #eireabu (https://twitter.com/search/?src=hash&q=%23eireabu)

BonnieShels
15/08/2012, 1:54 PM
Finally the giddiness arrives. COYBIG!!!

OwlsFan
15/08/2012, 1:56 PM
Trapattoni has used the same tactics and formation under his 4 years of management. Can you change an approach you have drilled into your players for four years, hold your hands up and say I was wrong with the approach, and expect to keep the trust, support and belief of your players?

Agree that the tactics Trapattoni has chosen to employ with us are a reflection of what he thinks of our players' individual qualities - he doesn't believe they can play ball at the top level.

Ideally Trapattoni should move aside now and let somebody else come in to handle the generation change and needed new direction.

Most of our players are scratching round at the bottom end of the EPL, when they get a game, or lower. What makes you think they can "play ball at top level" whatever that means? Three of the goals we gave away in Poland were attempts to play ball. England, every player of whom would get in to our team ahead of the current crop, tried to "play ball" in Poland and couldn't retain possession for more than a minute before the hoof up field.

"New direction" - you mean away from a play off and qualification?

Although pretty much a lone voice it would appear now, I think we should stick to what we do best in the qualifiers and try to be difficult to beat. Change of personnel yes in the form of McCarthy, McLean (assuming he continues to make progress) etc

Trap's systems UP TO NOW how worked away from home (two campaigns unbeaten). At home I do believe he needs to reappraise it.

He has lost the trust of a majority of the fans (press have had the knives out for ages) I believe and two bad results in the first two qualifiers and he'll be a dead man walking (I suppose he is already at his age) a bit like Mick Mc. I don't believe whatever new manager we get will do any better but only time will tell on that one.

Now on to Serbia and let's see what that brings.

Put umm under pressure. As my signature says....

EastTerracer
15/08/2012, 2:18 PM
... or the League of Ireland, presumably. I've been watching the team for over thirty five years, and I've never been less interested. I find the League of Ireland, with all it's problems, far more interesting these days.

No, I deliberately didn't include the League of Ireland because I've been supporting Shamrock Rovers just as long as the Ireland team and it is the only thing that comes close to international football for me (in terms of passion and interest).

....surprised you there, didn't I?

Charlie Darwin
15/08/2012, 2:34 PM
According to James McClean's twitter account. He is playing CM tonight???
"great weather for the game! cant wait for tonights game! new position in centre mid! #decent ha #COYBIG #eireabu"
James McClean (https://twitter.com/JMcC_23)
Walters/Long on the wings then?

geysir
15/08/2012, 3:22 PM
It might be interesting this evening, though I have an amount of trepidation ready to burst out. I suspect Tardelli has been teasing the press a bit.
There's a couple of fresh faces, McCarthy and McClean, who won't be carrying the burden of Euro 2012 and who will be keen to establish themselves in the first team.
At least tonight, McCarthy should be in the role he plays for Wigan. This is an important friendly.

Unfortunately for Gibson, his never-ending injury record will surely rule him out of the first team in the qualifiers, just as it has done previously.

SkStu
15/08/2012, 3:32 PM
I think Gibson has deliberately taken this decision by the way. He was (rightly in my opinion) extremely disappointed with Trap after the Euros and this could be his way of distancing himself from the squad or at least not busting his balls for friendlies while Trap remains inexplicably in charge. Nothing to back my post up, just a hunch.

Irwin3
15/08/2012, 3:49 PM
I think Gibson has deliberately taken this decision by the way. He was (rightly in my opinion) extremely disappointed with Trap after the Euros and this could be his way of distancing himself from the squad or at least not busting his balls for friendlies while Trap remains inexplicably in charge. Nothing to back my post up, just a hunch.

He is definately injured though. I agree he won't be taking any bullets for Trap though any time soon.

Any player with any fitness doubt is not going to play a friendly days before the season starts. Hence our and pretty much every other sides depleted squads.

Do you think Moyes would say, "Gibbo, come off after 19 mins today and then don't play in our final pre-season game and also pull out of the Ireland squad". Gibson's only played 45, 76 and 19 mins this pre-season which is hardly ideal from Moyes' point of view.

back of the net
15/08/2012, 4:46 PM
Predictions Lads??

Im going going for a 1-1 myself.
Basing that on nothing more than we have somewhat new blood in the team who will be out to prove something rather than anything tactically that trap will do

BonnieShels
15/08/2012, 4:47 PM
1-0 to Serbia.

We will play okay but not okay enough.

OwlsFan
15/08/2012, 4:52 PM

He sat on his backside most of the time at Man U for 7 years. Was he righly disappointed with Fergie for not picking him but he took 7 years to decide to leave. Now after three games where he didn't play in Poland he has taken the huff?

nigel-harps1954
15/08/2012, 4:53 PM
Yet another hammering one could suggest. Don't expect very much from this game.

DannyInvincible
15/08/2012, 5:36 PM

I don't think being able to admit to a mistake should necessarily be viewed as a weakness. If anything, adapting rather than sweeping things under the carpet would surely draw respect?

DannyInvincible
15/08/2012, 6:06 PM
Any Setanta streams for the game? All I can find is this Serbian stream: http://www.belovedsport.com/channel-2.php

Looking forward to kick-off and seeing how Trap sets us out. McCarthy and McClean starting excites me and I'm a fan of the giving the Walters-Long partnership another try-out.

Edit: Found a Setanta stream: http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/66577/1/serbia-vs-republic-of-ireland--live-stream-online.html

EastTerracer
15/08/2012, 6:10 PM
@FAIreland posted on Twitter a few minutes ago:

News just in: After an assessment on his leg this evening, it has been decided that Simon Cox will start in place of Shane Long.

So the team is as follows: Westwood, McShane, O'Dea, O'Shea, Kelly, Whelan, McCarthy, McGeady, McClean, Walters, Cox

paul_oshea
15/08/2012, 6:20 PM
what time is kick off lads?

pineapple stu
15/08/2012, 6:21 PM
7:45 Irish time.

fionnsci
15/08/2012, 6:48 PM
Notice the names on the back of the jerseys. Is this a thing now?

Straightstory
15/08/2012, 6:52 PM
No, I deliberately didn't include the League of Ireland because I've been supporting Shamrock Rovers just as long as the Ireland team and it is the only thing that comes close to international football for me (in terms of passion and interest).

....surprised you there, didn't I?

Yes!!!!

DannyInvincible
15/08/2012, 6:55 PM
McGeady's on the left and Cox is on the right. McClean is in the centre with McCarthy and Whelan behind him. Walters is on his own up front.

paul_oshea
15/08/2012, 7:00 PM
That sounds like another trap veiled attempt at appeasing to play a 4-51, play with the players capable of it in the wrong positions and then have a told you so afterwards like uruguay.

WHy not play mcgeady in there, where he has excelled for us before and mcclean out left like he does at sunderland?

p2011
15/08/2012, 7:02 PM
Any streams lads?

paul_oshea
15/08/2012, 7:03 PM
Some nice passing there.

Its lovely to see a midfielder with their hands in the air calling for the ball. So refreshing and simple yet we've never got to see it for years!!