PDA

View Full Version : Behan

Éanna
22/08/2004, 11:31 AM
Noticed a lot of negative comments about Behan lately. Look at the facts:
1. he has started only a handful of games.
2. the one game he's started this season, he scored one and set one up- not a bad return
3. he only ever gets 10 mins or less at the end of a game
4. he scores consistently for the U-21's.
5.Don Given's called him up to the Ireland U21 squad.
Bear all these facts in mind and then think does he deserve all the criticism he gets. The guy needs a decent run in the side before ANYONE (I include Dolan) can judge him fully.

thecorner
22/08/2004, 11:35 AM
stated this also in earlier thread

u cant judge a player with the time hes giving

if brought on earlier,would give us a different option with his strength to hold up the ball

played nearly every game for a combined total for about 20 minutes :eek:

SSS
22/08/2004, 11:49 AM
Admittedly I didn't see his goals against Kerry yesterday, but in the U21 games I've seen this year he hasn't been very effective at all.
Even CP scored four in an U21 game last year, but he wasn't up to first team standard either.
I reckon that once the Flynn's are fit, Behan should stay in the U21's for a while. He certainly has potential, but potential should be developed away from the first 11.

aswad
22/08/2004, 12:07 PM
"I don't rate him either. He's crap. "

Should this be his pen-pic on the official club site?

I do think he's a good player, either operating in centre mid or up front, but his attitude this season is dreadful. Dolan has mucked him around without a doubt, but hey, we all know Dolan does not know hoe to use substitutes. Behan sould get his head down and keep working hard, cause we need a big striker like him at the club, especially against the more physical sides like Derry City. Sadly I can see him lose patience and leave to another club, meaning we'll have to go abroad to sign another player with his attributes.

GavinZac
22/08/2004, 12:09 PM
that limerick gaa fella would replace him i'd say, or steve o'flynn

Citygirl
22/08/2004, 1:54 PM
I was absolutely sickened when denis came on the other nite and people started booing him..he's twenty years of age and his confidence is being torn to shreds everytime he comes on for injury time and cant do anything cos he doesnt have enough time to get into the pace of the game and yet hes booed and slagged off...can u imagine how disheartening it must be when a fella who has admitted before games he is only 60% fit gets his game before you?when u do everything the manager asks of you i.e. lose weight, score goals u21s etc. and u still get brought on wit 2 mins to go only to be slagged off by your own supporters! Imagine what it would be like if u came on to a website to read a load **** thats being written about your or to come out in front of a couple of thousand people only to hear a section of them booing you or shouting abuse at you! im sure it would certainly knock anybodys confidence.

cobhrambler 16
22/08/2004, 2:17 PM
i cant belevie your booing him?

at least yere able to bring on players like that,i'd be delighted to see a player like that come on of the cobh bench.

thecorner
22/08/2004, 2:28 PM
would like to see him start a big game to see how he got on

adamcarr
22/08/2004, 2:43 PM
The only chance Behan got (against Derry) He played brilliant, scored a goal and won MOTM. I would like to see Dolan leave Doyler on the wing and put Behan and Fenn up front, when JOF gets injured next!

thecorner
22/08/2004, 2:48 PM
when JOF gets injured next!

shouldnt be far away with his track record

SSS
22/08/2004, 2:53 PM
The only chance Behan got (against Derry) He played brilliant, scored a goal and won MOTM.

Myself and the guys I was at that game with thought he was brutal - for the first 85 minutes or so. MOTM had more to do with the last 5 min that the previous 85.

Fair_play_boy
22/08/2004, 8:27 PM
I was absolutely sickened when denis came on the other nite and people started booing him. . . .
I think the club could do without the ticket sales to people who would boo a player coming on. What donkeys!

Imagine what it would be like if u came . . . out in front of a couple of thousand people only to hear a section of them booing you or shouting abuse at you! im sure it would certainly knock anybodys confidence.
:mad: I know that professional players have to learn to deal with abuse from away teams' supporters. That is part of the player's personal development. But it is a different story when it is coming from your own so-called supporters. You are right, Citygirl. This is sick.
It would be bad enough if Denis Behan was a bad player. But he is more than a prospect. The few times I saw him come on he was hungry for the ball and had good vision. His best option, IMO, is to do his talking on the pitch, and for that, Dolan has to give him a few decent runs.

pete
23/08/2004, 10:56 AM
Behan is not good enough. He panics when has a chance on goal & his first touch is poor.

Booing a city player when coming onto the pitch is the lowest crap imaginable. :(

Colm
23/08/2004, 11:30 AM
I was absolutely sickened when denis came on the other nite and people started booing him..he's twenty years of age and his confidence is being torn to shreds everytime he comes on for injury time and cant do anything cos he doesnt have enough time to get into the pace of the game and yet hes booed and slagged off...can u imagine how disheartening it must be when a fella who has admitted before games he is only 60% fit gets his game before you?when u do everything the manager asks of you i.e. lose weight, score goals u21s etc. and u still get brought on wit 2 mins to go only to be slagged off by your own supporters! Imagine what it would be like if u came on to a website to read a load **** thats being written about your or to come out in front of a couple of thousand people only to hear a section of them booing you or shouting abuse at you! im sure it would certainly knock anybodys confidence.

I agree totally with that.
Booing one of our own when he's coming on for us is sickening. Behan might not be everyone's favourite player but in fairness to the guy he always trys his best and sometimes he does come up with the goods.

To the guys who booed Behan or any other players last Friday.... fcuk off, stay at home, we neither want nor need you.

thecorner
23/08/2004, 12:00 PM
I got the impression the booing was for George being subbed.

i got the impression that the booing was for dolan

did u ever hear the joke about the last minute sub.......................... :D

eircomfan
23/08/2004, 12:04 PM
I thought Beehan was quite a good player last time i saw him but dont think thats the point , if he isnt up to the standard then Dolan should be blamed for playing him , the player himself maybe having a confidence crisis and the last thing he needs to hear is booing before he has even touched a ball , by the way think the fella your talking about is Keating of Limerick , fairly good player alright big and strong and great from set pieces!!!!

jmc105
23/08/2004, 12:29 PM
that's the problem with booing - you can't put a label on it explaining who/what it's for.

if a club had no ambition, disinterested players, a chairman who didn't care about the club or its fans and a manager who couldn't be arsed trying to improve the situation, then maybe i could understand booing, as a way of saying 'this is not the way we want our club to be.'

city have ambition.
city players (like benno, danny murphy, george etc etc) give everything for the club.
brian lennox is a good businessman and a lifelong fan with the ambition to see city as the no. 1 club in the country.
pat dolan has put together the most talented set of players i have seen in the city shirt in my time as a supporter, and knows that there is still a need to improve.

how can anyone justify booing this club? or young players like behan, who always gives 100% effort? it's that kind of crap that makes me wonder if it's worth going to the x. i love football and i'm a city supporter, but i don't usually do things i don't enjoy, and putting up with the negativity of some ignorant so-called supporters is not much fun. i'd be willing to bet that city have lost fans because of this in the past, especially newcomers.

A face
23/08/2004, 1:26 PM
Behan is not good enough.

Wrong i'd say ... when he first came to the club he looked very promising and most people hear agreed on that.

He panics when has a chance on goal & his first touch is poor.

If he were to get his game more often then that wouldn't be a problem. We're not in a position to really comment on his performances of late as he hasn't been given a chance to be honest.

Booing a city player when coming onto the pitch is the lowest crap imaginable. :(

There are scum in all walks of life so why should the cross be any different. Booing .... no matter what your opinion on it is way out of line when the guys hasn't even been given a chance to warrant being booed. Again .... you'll get mindless fúckwits/múppets everywhere .... it is just a shame we have more than our fair share of them.

cathal
24/08/2004, 10:06 AM
booing is wrong. booing your players/team/manager is stupidity of the worst order. why go?

sadloserkid
24/08/2004, 10:43 AM
Well I've only seen Behan 3-4 times and truth be told I doubt he'd start for us, let alone you lot down the road.

BUT only a complete and utter moron boos one of their own unless they're 100% out of order (attacking the blind child at the touchline kinda offences). To boo a young guy like that just because you don't think he's up to it petty as hell regardless of how good or bad he is. Obviously it's much much easier to control our 'crowds' but if somebody pulls that kinda crap at one of our games (and it has happened) they get hauled over the coals and loudly vilified by the rest of us. Dennis Behan deserves better even if (as I believe) he never turns into a good League of Ireland player.

pete
24/08/2004, 11:31 AM
IMO Behan needs to be farmed out to the 1st division for a season where he can get good run together. maybe continue to train with city once a week or something,,,?

cathal
24/08/2004, 11:35 AM
will cpob ever make it back to ccfc? or is he permanently gone to limerick?