PDA

View Full Version : longford town 1 rovers 1

the 12 th man
21/08/2004, 11:10 PM
first of all this was a thoroughly entertaining cup tie that never let up for the 90 mins and gave full value to the
crowd at flancare park.

longford tore into rovers straight from the off and dominated the 1 st half creating several great goalscoring opportunities but failing to convert one of them and indeed rovers missed a great chance near the end of the
first half to "nick" one

the second half was a repeat dose of the 1 st half with
town throwing the proverbial "kitchen sink" at rovers but always lacking that final killer blow.
17 mins from the end a delightful lob from just inside the rovers box left the rovers goalie rooted to the spot and sent the town supporters delereous as the ball nestled in the back of the rovers net.

rovers went for the equaliser and town backed off which gave rovers the space to do so.a speculative ball across from keith doyle 7 mins from time(reminisint of reids goal for ireland against bulgaria) had everybody standing watching it,unfortunately including digger, and the ball simply evaded everbody and bounced into the goal.

overall town gave a very strong team performance and other there were strong performaces from fitzgerald,lavine,
barrett and gartland.

if it was a boxing match longford would have won comfortably on points but as it is its a replay on tues night where we can hopefully finish the job.

town were:
o brien,murphy,ferguson,perth,gartland,prunty,baker,
fitzgerald,kirby,lavine and barrett.no subs used.

TommyT
22/08/2004, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=the 12 th man]first of all this was a thoroughly entertaining cup tie that never let up for the 90 mins and gave full value to the
crowd at flancare park.

if it was a boxing match longford would have won comfortably on points but as it is its a replay on tues night where we can hopefully finish the job.

[QUOTE]

The standard of the game was an embarrassment, both sides were shyte. However we were lucky to get away with the draw.

Sinéad
22/08/2004, 6:10 PM
Impressive Town performance - Baker, Fitzgearld & Gartland were excellent. Very impressed with Gartland, hes working very well with Ferguson.

As for the shyte game - Rovers weren't at the races at all. They had sporadic decent periods but never looked like the likely winners.

Thirsty Hoop
22/08/2004, 6:19 PM
I was genuinely embarressed for Rovers in the first half. Shocking performance, the worst I've ever seen from any Rovers side. They only got it together after the Longford goal. That's as bad as we can play so hopefully we'll get you on Tuesday.
I'd love to hear what all those who criticised Rovers fans over the week thought about the supporters performance. We sang non-stop for 90 minutes, even when we were losing. Your lads - even your so-called 'section o boys' - were quieter than the average funeral service.

Maz
22/08/2004, 6:22 PM
I'd love to hear what all those who criticised Rovers fans over the week thought about the supporters performance.

wat part when day broke on to the field, or hit the linesman with some sort of flying object ? :p

Thirsty Hoop
22/08/2004, 7:00 PM
wat part when day broke on to the field, or hit the linesman with some sort of flying object ? :p

So celebrating a goal and one idiot throwing a coin justifies three articles in your pathetic programme about us being scum? Get real.

Maz
22/08/2004, 7:02 PM
I dont think the word scum was ever used!! But your reputation is ruined by a 'minority' of your fans theres no denying that!

Martinho II
22/08/2004, 9:46 PM
The town played very well except for the killer instinct that was missing! cracker of a goal from dessie lovely layoff from eric himself. What was our defence doin for the goal? a speculative cross from Keith Doyle! It was defo diggers fault for the goal!

Thirsty, a good few Section O members couldnt make the game and based on the sparce resources we had, Section O would be pretty proud of their performance as Mr Stephen "Mammys Boy" Grant would testify! :p

anyway ye lads were totally hammered and we were the most sober that we had being in a while. We are saving our voices for the league cup final when there will be a lot more of us there! but otherwise a good vocal performance from both sides except for the muppets who invaded the pitch when ye scored!

That brought back memories back to 4 years ago when the Harps played us in mullogher in the fai cup at the same stage-when james mulligan scored there was a mini invasion of hammered harps supporters who invaded the pitch at least ten times the amount of shams supporters last nite! i rem one lunatic who invaded the pitch who had a bottle of scrumpy jack with him! :D

anyone know the time of the match on tuesday?

max power
22/08/2004, 11:07 PM
match will be at 7, thats the time rovers have to play all games in richmond.

the 12 th man
23/08/2004, 7:02 AM
The standard of the game was an embarrassment, both sides were shyte. However we were lucky to get away with the draw.

what match were you at ??.
maybe you were embarrassed by your own team,i dont know why you thought so but i 'll bet you anything you like you wont find a town fan feeling similar about their team on saturday.
you got your butt kicked and did not deserve a replay.
but thats football so we have to do it all again tuesday.

johno
23/08/2004, 8:33 PM
I'd love to hear what all those who criticised Rovers fans over the week thought about the supporters performance. We sang non-stop for 90 minutes, even when we were losing. Your lads - even your so-called 'section o boys' - were quieter than the average funeral service.
thought it was one of the best atmospheres i've experienced in Flancare in a long time (except for the pitch invasion and 'Missiles')Pity the result didn't reflect on Town's performance,they should have had you put well away before half time.Looking forward to Tues but would be a little concerned over some of the knocks our lads picked up especially Kirby and Prunty.Hope Molloy plays to the same standard :D

Flea
23/08/2004, 9:22 PM
the 12th man dont waste your time writing that crap ill summarise it for you-

crap finishing by almost every town player and the ever impressive but not on this occasion molloy

great goal by baker and layoff with eric and himself making a great partnership

crap defending for the goal by all defenders even the saintly ferguson and gartland.

should have won.period!

max power
24/08/2004, 2:53 AM
yo flea pi$$ off back to roscommon with your negative stuff.... roll on 7 this evening for a win :D

Thirsty Hoop
24/08/2004, 11:15 AM
The town played very well except for the killer instinct that was missing! cracker of a goal from dessie lovely layoff from eric himself. What was our defence doin for the goal? a speculative cross from Keith Doyle! It was defo diggers fault for the goal!

Thirsty, a good few Section O members couldnt make the game and based on the sparce resources we had, Section O would be pretty proud of their performance as Mr Stephen "Mammys Boy" Grant would testify! :p

anyway ye lads were totally hammered and we were the most sober that we had being in a while. We are saving our voices for the league cup final when there will be a lot more of us there! but otherwise a good vocal performance from both sides except for the muppets who invaded the pitch when ye scored!

That brought back memories back to 4 years ago when the Harps played us in mullogher in the fai cup at the same stage-when james mulligan scored there was a mini invasion of hammered harps supporters who invaded the pitch at least ten times the amount of shams supporters last nite! i rem one lunatic who invaded the pitch who had a bottle of scrumpy jack with him! :D

anyone know the time of the match on tuesday?

Maybe it was just because we were singing loudly but I didn't hear a peep from the Longford fans all night (exept for two minutes after the goal).
Hope you lot bring a good crowd tonight.

max power
24/08/2004, 11:22 AM
can't see many traveling with a 7pm kick off.

Thirsty Hoop
24/08/2004, 11:55 AM
can't see many traveling with a 7pm kick off.

No excuse. Knock off work at 5 and you'll be down in time. You're only down the road FFS.

the 12 th man
24/08/2004, 11:57 AM
tv matchs will effect a few that are undecided about going :(

max power
24/08/2004, 11:59 AM
two hours to get to inchicore from longford in rush hour traffic, ha ha....stop drinking white spirits... :D

sorry to say it but if rovers behaved kick off would be at 7.45....... :mad:

WeAreRovers
24/08/2004, 12:37 PM
sorry to say it but if rovers behaved kick off would be at 7.45....... :mad:

I'm not picking on you Max, honestly, but that's rubbish, nonsense and uninformed hearsay. ;)

Seriously, the guards have no problem with 7.45 KOs, the FAI have no problem with 7.45 KOs and Pats have no problem with 7.45 KOs. A tiny handful of residents are holding us to ransom over the kick-off times.

There has been ZERO trouble at Richmond this season and the cops and the FAI would prefer 7.45 KOs 'cos it's easier to get security personal there on time.

As you may have noticed nothing gets me going more than people spouting rubbish about Rovers - you're just the biggest offender that's all, nothing personal.

KOH

max power
24/08/2004, 12:42 PM
I'm not picking on you Max, honestly, but that's rubbish, nonsense and uninformed hearsay. ;)

Seriously, the guards have no problem with 7.45 KOs, the FAI have no problem with 7.45 KOs and Pats have no problem with 7.45 KOs. A tiny handful of residents are holding us to ransom over the kick-off times.

There has been ZERO trouble at Richmond this season and the cops and the FAI would prefer 7.45 KOs 'cos it's easier to get security personal there on time.

As you may have noticed nothing gets me going more than people spouting rubbish about Rovers - you're just the biggest offender that's all, nothing personal.

KOH

a handful of residents.....oh sorry they only live in inchicore :mad: there has been trouble before and you should be able to see hteir point of view, for me i don't mind kick off time. what difference does 45mins make anyway :confused:

btw i'll be told to go to a certain area of the ground tonight and i will, no riot or anything ;)

correct there has been zero trouble, and well done to all on that.....oh and not hearsay, i live in inchicore and mcdowells is my local so its not hearsay at all...

Flea
25/08/2004, 8:06 PM
yo flea pi$$ off back to roscommon with your negative stuff.... roll on 7 this evening for a win :D

no son i think you should go f$%k off to inchichore you stupid uneducated boll*x