PDA

View Full Version : Trimming the squad

Éanna
21/08/2004, 9:07 PM
How many players do people think we should be getting rid of? With a squad as big as ours there are too many hangers on and fellas who just don't play. IMO, the trimming should start at the first team and I think Billy Woods and Dan Murray should be first out the door. Dan might be ok as back-up but he's a shadow of the player he was last season and he's just not doing it. He needs to be dropped immediately and if he wants to fight for his place then maybe he should be kept, but his performances lately have been unacceptable. Woods is a joke lately- out

Fair_play_boy
21/08/2004, 10:50 PM
How many of the squad of 30 players get a weekly payment?

Partizan
21/08/2004, 10:55 PM
You have 34 players on the **** City payroll, roughly 16 are full time.

Now is Mr Lennox going to pay for all that indefinitley?

No. Time for serious answers to be given. We in Waterford were nearly destroyed by the previous Board who left us with a huge debt after the plc share business left us with a 800k debt. Gery O'Brien came on board saved us from going under and now despite all that happened last season, are financially sound albeit with a very limited budget in which to buy players.

Troy.McClure
22/08/2004, 12:45 AM
To be fair, I think that things are a lot different between Cork and Waterford! For one thing we havent spent a cent on transfers and a lot of those 34 are u21s.

For me:
Greg (if he's not in Dolans plans)
Behan
Nwanko
K Murray
Probably a few more like Byrne and Billy but youd want replacements straight away

adamcarr
22/08/2004, 12:59 AM
For me:
Greg (if he's not in Dolans plans)
Behan
Nwanko
K Murray
Probably a few more like Byrne and Billy but youd want replacements straight away
I agree with Greg as Dolan dislikes him! I like Behan and Nwankwo. Dolan loves K Murray. I agree that Billy should go but we need Byrne until we sign a new CD...Wheres Coughlan?

Troy.McClure
22/08/2004, 6:34 AM
we need Byrne until we sign a new CD...Wheres Coughlan?

Ya thats right and besides from the Bohz reject :p there dont seem to be any around.
Billy isnt really a first teamer I guess but he's a handy utility man and (when he's arsed) he can be good.
Behan tries but how many goals has he got? Id rather CPOB if we're going to have a u21 as the 3/4th choice striker.
I just dont find Nwanko as effective a player as we need - he's not bad, but not great either.

Fair_play_boy
22/08/2004, 8:48 AM
Billy isnt really a first teamer I guess but he's a handy utility man and (when he's arsed) he can be good.

I have never seen him give less than 100%. He is a good passer and his first touch is decent. Only fault IMO is that he wanders offside a lot.

patsh
22/08/2004, 9:47 AM
At the end of the season we should thank the following players for their efforts this season and say goodbye to:
Willie Byrne,
Denis Behan.
Dan has to have a long hard look at himself and needs to put in a lot of work to earn a new contract.
I would like to see Greg stay, but I reckon Dolaan will not play him, so he might as well move on.
Dolan has to make up his mind about Nwanko too. He could be good enough, but is not getting enough games to prove it.

We should give Billy a special send off game, no matter what Eanna thinks of him, he has been one of City's best players EVER and served the club well.

And OF COURSE Lennox MUST look at the thug sh*t kickers club and model City on it.....:rolleyes:

Gary
22/08/2004, 10:46 AM
Out:
Mulconroy (good player, but never plays)
K Murray
Byrne
Greg (play him or leave him go)
Behan
Nwanko

What City need is adequate cover for each position. At the moment, if Dan Murray or Benno get injured we have nada. Byrne is a handy player, nothingh more. And even at that, Dan Murrsy aint playingt to well at the moment. Brian McGovern is available from Longford, and IMO, would be a great addition to the squad.

GavinZac
22/08/2004, 10:54 AM
O'HALLORAN
COUGHLAN
D MURRAY
WOODS
FRAHER
McNULTY
SWEENEY
BEHAN
MULCONRY
K MURRAY
BYRNE

i dont neccessarily want all these lads out but better options should be available. coughlan should stop being mentioned as a city player until he plays again. dan murray needs the competition of a top class central defender. him and benno have no challenge.

thecorner
22/08/2004, 10:59 AM
COUGHLAN

. coughlan should stop being mentioned as a city player until he plays again. .

is that why u mentioned him as well
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GavinZac
22/08/2004, 11:03 AM
is that why u mentioned him as well
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

he's in the official squad. and we need a better option for centre back than a player who isnt a player.

Éanna
22/08/2004, 11:25 AM
We should give Billy a special send off game, no matter what Eanna thinks of him, he has been one of City's best players EVER and served the club well.
You're right that he's been excellent for city down the years, but he's just not good enough anymore. And his performances lately have been brutal. No time for sentiment, we want titles. And as for a send-off: was gareth cronin given one, was Deccie, was Skippy???? No, whats billy done that they haven't?

GavinZac
22/08/2004, 11:56 AM
It was only last year Billy was named in EL team of the season. :rolleyes:
Short memories lads.

But getting rid of Byrne and Kev Murray would mean Dolan must sign 2 centre-backs.

id say billy was as shocked as the rest of us at that happening.

yes, he must sign 2 centre backs. 2 good ones. bring some competition in for murray and benno, cos byrne and kev arent going to compete

thecorner
22/08/2004, 11:59 AM
. bring some competition in for murray and benno,

id rather a replacement for murray,not just competition

GavinZac
22/08/2004, 12:02 PM
id rather a replacement for murray,not just competition

if he could get the form back of his first season when he was actually under pressure to perform then he'd be a good first choice. at the moment though, if we signed another centre defender i'd drop dan and try him out.

ccfcman
22/08/2004, 5:18 PM
close ur ass u appear to be talking through it,mulconroy is brilliant,mcnulty is cover and fraher is possibly the country's best prospect(yes im open to crticism but ive played with him i know what im saying)

mouldymurphy
22/08/2004, 8:08 PM
and now despite all that happened last season, are financially sound albeit with a very limited budget in which to buy players.

not from what i hear! apparently the squad hasnt been paid for the last two weeks!!

Fair_play_boy
22/08/2004, 8:10 PM
not from what i hear! apparently the squad hasnt been paid for the last two weeks!!
Now, if that is even half true, we are in for some interesting times ahead.

GavinZac
23/08/2004, 1:00 AM
close ur ass u appear to be talking through it,mulconroy is brilliant,mcnulty is cover and fraher is possibly the country's best prospect(yes im open to crticism but ive played with him i know what im saying)

none of them are adequate competiton for the first team. prospects, cover and good for the u21s is all well and good if we just want to keep winning the u21 league

patsh
23/08/2004, 7:57 AM
You're right that he's been excellent for city down the years, but he's just not good enough anymore. And his performances lately have been brutal. No time for sentiment, we want titles. And as for a send-off: was gareth cronin given one, was Deccie, was Skippy???? No, whats billy done that they haven't?None of those players was, and do you think its acceptable?
Lets just continue on this disgraceful situation because others were ignored as well?
Its about time time gave some recognition to some of our most loyal and best players and it has to start sometime.
Simply introducing a few players at a game and making a presentation is not enough.

liamon
23/08/2004, 8:29 AM
none of them are adequate competiton for the first team. prospects, cover and good for the u21s is all well and good if we just want to keep winning the u21 league
I doubt if the U-21s are earning much from CCFC. There are a few prospects there, so we should hang on to them for a bit and see if they make it through to the senior side. To get rid of youngsters coz they're not yet able to challenge senior players is a bit short sighted.

As for those calling for Nwankwo to be moved on - he's usually the first person to be brought on when we need to sub a midfielder. He's very close to getting a starting place. Why get rid of him? It'll just weaken our bench. The following don't get a game and it's probably best to move them on:

Mulconroy
K Murray
Byrne
Greg

GavinZac
23/08/2004, 9:52 AM
I doubt if the U-21s are earning much from CCFC. There are a few prospects there, so we should hang on to them for a bit and see if they make it through to the senior side. To get rid of youngsters coz they're not yet able to challenge senior players is a bit short sighted.

i know, in my post i said that we need better players than those players, not that we need to get rid of them