PDA

View Full Version : Limerick Desmond League 2012/13

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

soccer8
07/07/2012, 4:19 PM
Well lads Pre-season is just around the corner any thoughts on the season ahead lets hope its a closer premier division this year....Any teams folded or any new teams???

CraftyToePoke
07/07/2012, 7:55 PM
Not heard much, any news welcome.

I heard Old Mill struggled, or were looking like struggling for numbers to field a side this time last year due to emigration. Hopefully things a little easier this year, but maybe that's being optimistic.

Notaclue
08/07/2012, 1:28 PM
KEANE'S JEWELLERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS TROPHY Season 2012-13
1st Round Draw
College Corinthians (MSL) v Park Utd (Cork AUL)
Pike Rvs (Limerick District) v Nenagh AFC (North Tipp)
St Brendans Park (Kerry) v Broadford Utd (L'rick Desmond)
St Michael's (TSDL) v Dunmanway Town (West Cork)

Quarter Final Draw
Valley Rgs (West W'ford/East Cork) v Tramore AFC (Waterford)
Tile King (Cork B&S) v St Brendans Park or Broadford Utd
St Michael's or Dunmanway Town v College Cors or Park Utd
Pike Rvs or Nenagh AFC v Newmarket Celtic (Clare)

Proposed Dates:
1st Round 8th / 9th September 2012
Quarter Finals 6th / 7th October 2012
Semi Finals 10th / 11th November 2012
Final 1st / 2nd December 2012

tricky
09/07/2012, 10:14 AM
Heard there is a lot of movement with managers at moment with the des cup winning managers returning to their home club, wonder if some players will follow. New manager with league champions and new managers with abbey and rathkeale. Who do see as title challengers, my view would be Ncw A, broadford, shannonside and abbey, and who do ye see as being relegated, my view kileaney, Ncw rvrs or Carrig. Any news on players moving to different clubs. Best of luck to everybody for new season

CraftyToePoke
09/07/2012, 12:09 PM
Shannonside as challengers already ? Fair play to them. How long are they around now? And are they Foynes & Shanagolden combined or whats the situation?

KnowItAll
09/07/2012, 2:51 PM
What planet have you been living on craftytoepoke, Shannonside are around for the last 4 years and are an amalgamation of Foynes and Shanagolden. They walked the first division in their first season, won the premier league cup in their second season(first in the premier), were premier runners up in their third season and won the league cup and desmond cup last season so rightfully should be seen as contenders if they keep their panel and maybe add to it. Alot will probably depend on who is manager there? Who are Broadfords and Rathkeales new managers?

Have It
09/07/2012, 9:54 PM
I think there will be a mid winter break this season to help out our national team :p

CraftyToePoke
09/07/2012, 10:52 PM
What planet have you been living on craftytoepoke

Haven't lived in Ireland since 1998. Desmond League developments aren't really headline news, and I wouldn't be meeting anyone to tell me in these parts.

Where is the home ground ?

hulk
11/07/2012, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=CraftyToePoke;1611030]

Where is the home ground ?
They have 3 grounds what they use between the A & B team, A's play mostly in Aughinish or barrigone with the B's playing in Shanagolden. The A's played all their games in Aughinish last season because barrigone was being relayed.
Should be a good season this year, can see it being a lot closer. I heard the new newcastle managers all pushing hard trying to get former players and other players from around the league to newcastle. Will be a disaster for shannonside if they lose power and O'Donnell after the success they had last year.
I think the title will be between broadford, shannonside and ncw depending on who strengthens the most. If shannonside can keep those 2 and get a good manager i think they will pip it. I heard broadford are back training for the last week or 2.
When is the junior season kick off this year?
Any other new players changing clubs?

Leon
12/07/2012, 12:04 PM
The word on the street is that Newcastle had a number of new signings playing for them last night in NCW whil Broadford have signed some lad from Charleville who scores six goals against Kilmallock on Monday night. It should be a stronger league this year but Rovers already look in big trouble losing what looks like a number of players. Who are the Broadford and Abbey managers, Im suprised to hear Lynch didnt do Broadford job again this year after winning league

Have It
13/07/2012, 11:02 AM
2 rovers players played in the 6-1 defeat for newcastle wed night but hard to know if they have signed or just thinking about it, lots of players play friendlies for other clubs.
I hear August 26th is the proposed start date for the league. Can anyone confirm ?

Balbec77
13/07/2012, 11:35 AM
The word on the street is that Newcastle had a number of new signings playing for them last night in NCW whil Broadford have signed some lad from Charleville who scores six goals against Kilmallock on Monday night. It should be a stronger league this year but Rovers already look in big trouble losing what looks like a number of players. Who are the Broadford and Abbey managers, Im suprised to hear Lynch didnt do Broadford job again this year after winning league not jumping in on yer forum lads but just to clarify somthing the lad was paul doona from kilmallock and he scored 6 against bruff who are a 1b side that were missing around 6 starters and he is not signing with broadford as far as i know.

southern kid
16/07/2012, 11:54 AM
I think the league will be a lot tighter this yr, shannonside look like early favourites?Although they were 10 points ahead 2 seasons ago and chocked so maybe wont get a chance like that again, lets hope ncw abbey and ratkeale can get it right this year and make it more interesting.I think abbey will struggle unless they sign a few players cos they are flying in the gaa and going by last season at the start the gaa players wont be left play. carrig will do well but killeaney will struggle again..

southern kid
19/07/2012, 5:54 PM
I heard scott hurley and john kelliher played for broadford tue nite against killmallock.Any truth draper?? kelliher would be a good signing for ye if true as ye struggled to fill positon along side mcaulliffe,could not see him leaving abbey though. any other transfer news lads?

BoyBlue
28/07/2012, 2:15 PM
All Quiet on here so far, any challenge matches on over the weekend? What about transfers anything certain?
I Couldn't see Kelliher or Hurley signing for Broadford strange even playing a game with them, NCW seem to be strengthing but thats not much good if they continue playing suspended players and get deducted points like last season! Unless a team strengthen considerably I can't see anyone but Broadford or Shannonside winning all the major trophys again this season.

snafu
30/07/2012, 10:16 AM
I know I say this every year but any chance we could lay off the refs a bit this year.
They are only human and will make mistakes and players/managers/supporters logging on here 10 mins after a match
and blaming a ref for losing a match/league is not nice and a bit sad. Not to mention naming (or as good as) refs.
So get on with the game and respect the refs. And best of luck to everyone in the upcoming campaign.

hotspur
30/07/2012, 12:12 PM
I know I say this every year but any chance we could lay off the refs a bit this year.
They are only human and will make mistakes and players/managers/supporters logging on here 10 mins after a match
and blaming a ref for losing a match/league is not nice and a bit sad. Not to mention naming (or as good as) refs.
So get on with the game and respect the refs. And best of luck to everyone in the upcoming campaign.

Sure isint this what this forum is all about??reports on games etc,and if a ref is bad what do you want people to do stay hush hush.and don't give me that crap they do it for the love of the game,they do it for the MONEY.players for nothing why shouldn't they ref for nothing???

hulk
30/07/2012, 1:01 PM
Well said hotspur! Does anyone know what way the league is starting off this year, is it goin to be like last year starting off on a friday and sunday? If so i think this is a bit unfair, its the first weekend of the league and the players are supposed to be fit enough to play 2 games in 36hours. This is tough at any time of the season but for the very first week i think its a bit much. Could they not start on a thursday night and give the players an extra day to recover?

nowayref
30/07/2012, 1:28 PM
Two horse race this season between NCW and Broadford. Cant see Shannonside doing much considering they've lost the managers, Power and O'Donnell to NCW. Huge effort required from Abbey to be in with a shout considering poor season last time out.

snafu
30/07/2012, 2:04 PM
Sure isint this what this forum is all about??reports on games etc,and if a ref is bad what do you want people to do stay hush hush.and don​'t give me that crap they do it for the love of the game,they do it for the MONEY.players for nothing why shouldn't they ref for nothing???

If a ref is bad then yes say so.
What I am saying is some players blame refs to try and cover their own shortcomings.
E.g. we lost 2-0, the ref got a few decisions wrong...it happens. people would rather talk about the ref getting those decisions wrong rather than say actually the team were below par.

The bit in bold, when did i say that?

You are willing to ref games for free this season so I presume?

nowayref
30/07/2012, 2:21 PM
Cant see Shannonside doing much this season having lost Power, O'Donnell and manager to NCW. Unless they strengthen significantly but have heard little noise from their camp. Big movers appear to be NCW and Broadford. Two horse race for league and both cups.

KnowItAll
31/07/2012, 9:32 AM
Cant see Shannonside doing much this season having lost Power, O'Donnell and manager to NCW. Unless they strengthen significantly but have heard little noise from their camp. Big movers appear to be NCW and Broadford. Two horse race for league and both cups.

Welcome to foot.ie nowayref, I see you are trying to get info from the shannonside lads by your two posts in over an hour about losing the managers and apparently 2 players. I suppose first off, better manager in place now, second, it is my understanding that the forms are not even out yet so technically nobody has left shannonside and signed for Newcastle, third, you are possibly right about the league but you cannot say a two horse race for the two cups, cup football is all about on the day, look at what shannonside did in the two cup finals last year, nobody had given them a chance but yet came out with both, fourth and final point, 2 players don't make a team, if Shannonside lose both of these players you are talking about, they will be replaced with other players.

BoyBlue
31/07/2012, 12:25 PM
Welcome to foot.ie nowayref, I see you are trying to get info from the shannonside lads by your two posts in over an hour about losing the managers and apparently 2 players. I suppose first off, better manager in place now, second, it is my understanding that the forms are not even out yet so technically nobody has left shannonside and signed for Newcastle, third, you are possibly right about the league but you cannot say a two horse race for the two cups, cup football is all about on the day, look at what shannonside did in the two cup finals last year, nobody had given them a chance but yet came out with both, fourth and final point, 2 players don't make a team, if Shannonside lose both of these players you are talking about, they will be replaced with other players.

Who is the new Shannonside manager? NCW were very poor by the end of last season so it would require major rebuilding to challenge for anything imo! Abbey looking stronger already but a lot depends on the gaa!
Anyone from Carrig, killeaney,Rathkeale,NCW Rovers & Glin for relegation! Any decent friendly matches worth going to over the next week?

nowayref
31/07/2012, 2:19 PM
Appreciate the welcome KnowItAll. Apologies for the double post. I will concede that 2 players dont make a team but from what I saw of Shannonside in the cups last season I cant see them doing much without those 2 players. It won't be easy to replace that type of quality. I am not aware of the new management but if as you say it is better than the outgoing managers that brought 2 cups to the club then they must be exceptional considering the team have yet to play a competitive match.

southern kid
08/08/2012, 10:36 AM
Well lads hows pre season going in the desmond lge? any news from broadford,any new signings?who bare the shside managers? i heard it was confirmed last nite to play fri sun fri sun for 1st 4 games,Alot of teams could be out of the running by there 5th game.i understand why they do this in strong leagues bcos of teams going to latter stages of fai and provincal cups but no need for it in small lge like desmond lge.if managment committee could run it properly there would not be a prob with backlog at end of season.its only 18 team lge and takes 9 and half months to get it finished,mind boggling.these two wks will be extremly tough on youth players.

Fr. Joe
09/08/2012, 9:09 PM
Talking to a lad during the week, Ballysteen have 38 players signed for the coming season, they are expecting to walk Division 2, their only fear is a number of the team play Gaelic Football and they could be missing players for the start of the season if games clash as Gaelic will take preference there.

soccer8
09/08/2012, 11:02 PM
Talking to a lad during the week, Ballysteen have 38 players signed for the coming season, they are expecting to walk Division 2, their only fear is a number of the team play Gaelic Football and they could be missing players for the start of the season if games clash as Gaelic will take preference there.

Why doesnt Balysteen just join with Askeaton? where did they find 38 players?

BoyBlue
10/08/2012, 11:23 AM
I heard a rumor today that Tony Quaid is signing for Janesboro,power & o'donnell both staying with shannonside. Quaid would be a huge loss to ncw and the league in general imo. Rathkeale are struggling going by recent friendly results. Ballysteen for the Desmond cup so.

Johnnie C
10/08/2012, 6:21 PM
Will it just be Premier games on the Friday nights at the start ?

Leon
11/08/2012, 10:40 AM
Well lads hows pre season going in the desmond lge? any news from broadford,any new signings?who bare the shside managers? i heard it was confirmed last nite to play fri sun fri sun for 1st 4 games,Alot of teams could be out of the running by there 5th game.i understand why they do this in strong leagues bcos of teams going to latter stages of fai and provincal cups but no need for it in small lge like desmond lge.if managment committee could run it properly there would not be a prob with backlog at end of season.its only 18 team lge and takes 9 and half months to get it finished,mind boggling.these two wks will be extremly tough on youth players.

Did Broadford sign those lads from Kilmallock, Did Kelleher and Hurley stay with Abbey and NCW after playing with Broadford. Newcastle look like they have no one signed and If Tony Quaid has left they would be even weaker than last year.

western gale
13/08/2012, 1:57 PM
Saturday, August 18th

Youths Division 1 (all at 2.30pm)
Abbeyfeale Utd V Kilcornan (J. Roche)
Newcastle West Rovers V Adare Utd (B. Nash)
Broadford Utd V Newcastle West (P. Manning)

Youths Division 2 (all at 2.30pm)
Breska Rovers V Feenagh (P. O’Connor)
Bally Rovers V Carrig Celtic (J. Molyneaux)
Pallaskenry V Ferry Rangers (E. Barrett)
Creeves Celtic V Glantine (S. Hartnett)
St. Itas V Askeaton (P. King)

Friday, August 24th (all at 6.30pm)

Weekly Observer Premier Division
Broadford Utd V Rathkeale
Abbeyfeale Utd V Newcastle West
Newcastle West Rovers V Glin Rovers
Shannonside FC V Killeaney
Carrig Celtic V Ballingarry

Weekly Observer Division 1
Breska Rovers V Rockhill Rovers
Askeaton V St. Itas
Kilcornan V Kildimo Utd
Glantine V Adare Utd
Old Mill V Athea Utd

Leon
13/08/2012, 4:22 PM
Saturday, August 18th

Youths Division 1 (all at 2.30pm)
Abbeyfeale Utd V Kilcornan (J. Roche)
Newcastle West Rovers V Adare Utd (B. Nash)
Broadford Utd V Newcastle West (P. Manning)

Youths Division 2 (all at 2.30pm)
Breska Rovers V Feenagh (P. O’Connor)
Bally Rovers V Carrig Celtic (J. Molyneaux)
Pallaskenry V Ferry Rangers (E. Barrett)
Creeves Celtic V Glantine (S. Hartnett)
St. Itas V Askeaton (P. King)

Friday, August 24th (all at 6.30pm)

Weekly Observer Premier Division
Broadford Utd V Rathkeale
Abbeyfeale Utd V Newcastle West
Newcastle West Rovers V Glin Rovers
Shannonside FC V Killeaney
Carrig Celtic V Ballingarry

Weekly Observer Division 1
Breska Rovers V Rockhill Rovers
Askeaton V St. Itas
Kilcornan V Kildimo Utd
Glantine V Adare Utd
Old Mill V Athea Utd

No real stand out matches in the opening fames of the premier.
It will be interesting to see how Carrig get on against Ballingarry. Other than that you would expect Newcastle to beat what is sure to be a depleted Abbey side. They could well be an outsider for relegation this year because of football.

soccer8
14/08/2012, 6:03 PM
No real stand out matches in the opening fames of the premier.
It will be interesting to see how Carrig get on against Ballingarry. Other than that you would expect Newcastle to beat what is sure to be a depleted Abbey side. They could well be an outsider for relegation this year because of football.

Why whats up with Abbeyfeale this year?

Leon
14/08/2012, 9:09 PM
Why whats up with Abbeyfeale this year?

It looks like they will win football, maybe NCW will also struggle because of this but I think they may have a stronger contingent of non gaa players.

BoyBlue
14/08/2012, 9:48 PM
Abbeyfeale will be ok I reckon.
So what are the predictions?
I'll go for: Winner : Shannonside
2nd: Broadford
Relegated: Rathkeale & Killeaney
Promoted: St. Ita's & Kildimo.
Best of luck to all the teams for the season ahead.

last man back
14/08/2012, 10:31 PM
It seems a number of clubs will struggle for players for the first few games with Gaa commitments. The Gaa season seems to be getting longer every year I wonder is there a hidden agenda behind this. The u21
championship still has to be played when senior and minor are over.
When you think about the whole set up lads a teams season could be defined in 4 weeks
1st 2 weeks 4 games
Last 2 weeks 4 games
Half your season played during these weeks and hit nd miss for the rest of the season
I'm afraid the standard will continue to drop if these issues are'nt addressed in the coming seasons
To many people with the power with there head in the sand !

PrettyBoots
15/08/2012, 10:58 AM
Shannonside have lost 2 great players. Gained a new manager. Its between NCW and Broadford this season. Shannonside might cahllenge if they can keep the young fellas off the liquor. Their B team has a few handy young fellas.

PrettyBoots
15/08/2012, 11:02 AM
Bang on. I thought they'd **** it 2 seasons ago but they well and trully threw it away. I think they thought they had it won mid season.

desmonddevil7
15/08/2012, 11:21 AM
Snafu is right, the refs have it tough and they get a lot of abuse i hope they ger treated a bit better this campaign and decisions swing in roundabouts!

BoyBlue
15/08/2012, 1:29 PM
Who have shannonside lost & have ncw signed some new players I wasn't aware of any?

desmonddevil7
15/08/2012, 1:43 PM
Boy blue I think power and O donnell and there is rumours o Connor might follow them too not looking too bright for them but you never know.....

Dara3000
15/08/2012, 2:59 PM
Cant see shannonside challenging for any honours this season.Very ordinary team.Decent strikers but very poor midfield.Think ncw will win it at a canter..

BoyBlue
15/08/2012, 5:11 PM
Boy blue I think power and O donnell and there is rumours o Connor might follow them too not looking too bright for them but you never know.....

Massive loss to shannonside alright. Still wouldn't think ncw will challenge they were a shambles last season it would take serious strengthening to turn it around.

super6
16/08/2012, 8:08 AM
Hi lads new to the thread, i heard the weekend ncw have signed 7 or 8 new players with some of the above players mentioned,i reckon rovers and rathkeale to go down heard rathkeale are really struggling this year which is a pity.

PrettyBoots
16/08/2012, 12:06 PM
desmonddevil7 Think there might be something in that alright. Heard there's a lot of in-fighting at shannonside. Last year they lost a few players to city teams and few more would only play B team. They have 1 or 2 decnet players and I hear good things about this new fella that over them.

PrettyBoots
16/08/2012, 12:07 PM
It will all unravel again this season. they'll burst out of the blocks and fall away after Xmas. NCW big title contenders followed by B'Ford.

PrettyBoots
16/08/2012, 12:08 PM
They must be emigrants!! There isn't 38 people living in Ballysteen.

skyhome
16/08/2012, 3:12 PM
Rathkeale are struggling again this year over the championship football i heard. Was talking to a few of them and hear that their A team has 13 players on that football panel. Still in saying that i cant see them going down there's a long season there.

nowayref
16/08/2012, 4:18 PM
I can understand how people are saying rathkeale will struggle but there is far too much talent there for them to go down. I simply think they wont be in contention for anything other than the cups. Solid B-team last season

skyhome
17/08/2012, 11:58 AM
Yea solid B team in rathkeale alrite last year hear the managers off that B team are now over the A team. I heard there's a few off them b team players brought up this season to the A panel. would B'ford still not be stronger than NCW again this season?