PDA

View Full Version : Man united??????

outspoken
05/07/2012, 5:54 PM
Hey lads is anyone else seeing Twitter rumors saying Longford Town are playing none other than Manchester United in a pre-season friendly on July 23rd at Flancare? If it's true it will surely be a near sell out. 90% wont be supporting us but hey who cares as long as they give us there money! Oh God I really hope this is true! Sounds feasible considering the Keith Gillespie and MUTV link

Longfordian
05/07/2012, 6:19 PM
Reserves maybe. The first team will be on tour. Haven't heard anything about it personally but the Reserves would come over if asked by the right people at the right time. Even the Reserves would bring a good crowd out.

Acornvilla
05/07/2012, 6:20 PM
It'd have a few lads people would vaguely recognise, I'm sure we could get 3k+ out for it no matter what sort of team they play. Hurray for handy money and a day out if its true.

outspoken
05/07/2012, 6:22 PM
Now confirmed by the club twitter this is brilliant news it is a united xi but just the word utd will have the barstoolers scrambling for tickets should easilly be a couple of thousand at this.....My phone has gone into over drive with manure fans looking for info.

outspoken
05/07/2012, 6:26 PM
Would be a great idea for us to sell tickets at the upcoming home games even if the local reds come in buy the tickets and leave at least we are getting two admission fees from them. I know a number of LOI clubs have sucesfully done this before.

Acornvilla
05/07/2012, 6:31 PM
sell them for a reduced price at athlone and waterford games, hike it at the door.

outspoken
05/07/2012, 6:46 PM
Ye while we're at it lets say nothing about united '11' and use pictures of rooney and co to advertise and charge 50 euro a ticket haha cant wait for this now.

Jofspring
05/07/2012, 6:53 PM
Lads if the capacity is higher than 3,000 then I wouldn't be surprised if you surpassed that. We had a sellout for Liverpool reserves and there was still a demand for more tickets. About 2,100 at it.

Acornvilla
05/07/2012, 6:57 PM
Didn't we exceed 2,000 when playing Sheffield united just after they were relegated a few years ago

Martinho II
05/07/2012, 7:11 PM
in 1995 or 1996 Co Longford Youths ? played man utd reserves I wasnt at the game but there was a huge crowd at it.

I got a club txt earlier so will share this with ye! Ltfc will be playing Man Utd on the 23rd of July in addition to the Millwall friendly. Details at match on sat next!

Longfordian
05/07/2012, 8:20 PM
Didn't we exceed 2,000 when playing Sheffield united just after they were relegated a few years ago

Close on 2k yeah. Jofspring, Flancare is licensed for 4,500 as far as I know, I'm sure we'd squeeze a few more in if it came to it. I was at that United u16s game I think it was 95. Wes Brown played. Very big crowd there.

Acornvilla
05/07/2012, 9:33 PM
by the way, I guess it would be a good idea for the people in power to organize a chipper to be there for the game, best put on the best show we can, and hope a few lapsed fans and maybe even new guys like the place and think it'd be nice to come back.

outspoken
05/07/2012, 10:44 PM
Martinho is that this Saturday the details will be announced?

Martinho II
06/07/2012, 4:07 PM
yes the club will be making an announcement for tmw nites match!

Longfordian
06/07/2012, 4:16 PM
Should be a good crowd out for this one. Fair play to the club for lining it up. Good chance to hopefully make a few quid. Hopefully the local media will give it a bit of coverage over the next couple of weeks.

Macy
07/07/2012, 9:07 AM
Should sell tickets at a game only. make them drop a tender as well as the ticket price.

outspoken
08/07/2012, 10:01 AM
Maybe not only at games because a lot of them wouldn't bother then but maybe sell as many as possible at a game and then sell them in the shopping centre

sorbothegreek
10/07/2012, 10:10 AM
http://ltfc.ie/index.php/man-utd-game-ticket-and-sponsorship-information/

Ticket info up on the site; Would it be ok to ask anyone that has a facebook or twitter account please could they share this, it would be a great help. Getting loads of requests coming in asking for info but they aren't checking the site beforehand.

Thanks

Longfordian
10/07/2012, 11:08 AM
Done. Hopefully we can get some excitement building for it.

Acornvilla
10/07/2012, 11:57 AM
shall share the love on fb now in a sec

L.T.F.C.
10/07/2012, 9:47 PM
Make sure to post a link the website!

howsyourtouch
16/07/2012, 4:19 AM
remember the game in 96 or 97..the brother was the longford selections captain,the man utd v longford pendant is up on the wall in the room with a nice photo of the brother,wes brown shaking hands swapping pendants and paddy nolan as ref standin in the middle!ha!it was a longford seldction not longford town as a club who played and it was for friends of asthma or some such...i remember there was two lads from kerry who played for longfors that day and ther stayed in the house,was a massive crowd hopefully this gets as much!the last game was youths aswell not under 16!

Keen2win
16/07/2012, 9:09 PM
Would like to offer my services to help the club, be it steward or whatever! Get in touch!!!

L.T.F.C.
16/07/2012, 11:11 PM
Oho! You're coming to the big game! What about the SD Galway game?

bluewhitearmy
16/07/2012, 11:24 PM
How are ticket sales going for this lads?

Keen2win
17/07/2012, 6:05 AM
Nah **** that, why would I waste my time with that when we are playing Man United??? :)

Longfordian
18/07/2012, 8:57 PM
Tickets are flying for this one by all accounts. Over 1200 sold up to the start of tonight's game I believe. Should sell a good few more before Monday plus the crowd that turns up on the night.

Acornvilla
19/07/2012, 4:09 PM
Main stand is sold out apparently.

bluewhitearmy
19/07/2012, 4:57 PM
Tickets are flying for this one by all accounts. Over 1200 sold up to the start of tonight's game I believe. Should sell a good few more before Monday plus the crowd that turns up on the night.

Main stand is sold out apparently.

Great stuff...Hope it goes well and ye make a healthy profit on it.

RonnieB
19/07/2012, 5:49 PM
Imagine if we consistently had even half of that at a league game? (I know I can't talk these days as I don't get down to many games!)
Hope we make a good few euro out of it..

Martinho II
20/07/2012, 12:50 AM
I wont be able to make the Man Utd game either as I havent being working long enough to earn more annual leave!

outspoken
22/07/2012, 11:41 AM
Missed the last 2 games with being away on holidays and I'm itching to get back now (that could be the sun burn tho) CMON DE TOWN

longfordjames
22/07/2012, 2:58 PM
Lets create an atmosphere and a good showing on the pitch. I'd prefer if everyone left out barstooler abuse etc. as we will have a lot of visitors lets create an impression that one or two might come back as opposed to giving them an excuse not too! C'mon d town

outspoken
22/07/2012, 5:04 PM
Totally agree they are paying in the gate and if we can get a good atmosphere going they might just say this isnt so bad....A full stand should help but hopefully we can get a few town chants going an we're not outsung by the away fans lol

Longfordian
22/07/2012, 6:14 PM
I wouldn't imagine there will be any abuse towards anyone really on Monday night. It's a fundraiser pure and simple the more that turn up the better. There seems to be a lot of first timers or non regulars going. Hopefully the rain stays away and we get a good "on the night" crowd as well as those who have already got tickets. There's usually a significant amount of people who just turn up on the night.

Acornvilla
22/07/2012, 9:44 PM
Wasn't going to go to this, but changed my mind, I've been bringing my missus to the odd town game over the last few years, and I've promised her there's actually going to be a crowd there this time, hopefully the lads put on a good performance and don't just hoof it around the place.

Anyone know any good man city chants? :P

Charlie Darwin
22/07/2012, 10:07 PM
Blue Moon! But sure the Irish Man U fans wouldn't have a clue what a Man City chant sounds like.

outspoken
23/07/2012, 9:45 AM
If they start beating us I think a chorus of are you city in disguise is in order haha

Bad start to the day weather wise.

Macy
23/07/2012, 10:57 AM
Blue Moon! But sure the Irish Man U fans wouldn't have a clue what a Man City chant sounds like.
Why would they given all city fans come from within the Manchester City Council limits?

Longfordian
23/07/2012, 1:26 PM
Preview of the game on the United site:
http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-And-Staff/Reserves/Reserves-News/2012/Jul/manchester-united-xi-set-for-longford-town-friendly.aspx

Charlie Darwin
23/07/2012, 1:54 PM
If they start beating us I think a chorus of are you city in disguise is in order haha

Bad start to the day weather wise.
If you start beating them sing 'are we city in disguise?'

L.T.F.C.
23/07/2012, 10:29 PM
Attendance?

outspoken
23/07/2012, 10:32 PM
A fantastic night out and a fantastic performance from de town. We did everything but score and outplayed yes outplayed Manchester united for long periods of the game. Off the field everyone from match program sellers to clubhouse staff were fantastic a true credit to the club so well some to all involved on a great night for the club....never thought I'd see that stand full, hopefully it won't be the last time either.

Mick Lee and Salmo were stand out preformers tonight while Tony Griffiths impressed me again. Also a big word of congrats to Dean Cosgrave who showed great maturity and potential when he came on, very impressed.

Longfordian
23/07/2012, 11:51 PM
Attendance?

A fantastic night out and a fantastic performance from de town. We did everything but score and outplayed yes outplayed Manchester united for long periods of the game. Off the field everyone from match program sellers to clubhouse staff were fantastic a true credit to the club so well some to all involved on a great night for the club....never thought I'd see that stand full, hopefully it won't be the last time either.

Mick Lee and Salmo were stand out preformers tonight while Tony Griffiths impressed me again. Also a big word of congrats to Dean Cosgrave who showed great maturity and potential when he came on, very impressed.

Attendance was somewhere between 2,000-2,500 I'd guess. Probably at the higher end. Good Town performance but it was a young United side, don't go overboard! Griffiths was good showed a good touch and good movement. He still missed his best chance however which is a worrying habit for our strikers. Mick Lee was excellent, agreed. Daehli the lad that scored for United is a cracking little player. Only 17.

L.T.F.C.
24/07/2012, 1:45 AM
Why can we not ever have a proper striker? In the name of God its shocking poor that we never have anyone. The last one I can think of was Derek Glynn, and that was pushing it. Mooney obviously comes to mind.

We can't seem to have someone that is even nearly the finished article and it is killing us.

Acornvilla
24/07/2012, 3:58 AM
If we still had Don we'd be winning the league easily.

Lee and Crawley were our best players if you ask me but that united right back wasn't very good and the winger was crap at tracking back. We held onto the ball well enough but a lot of that was down to the united lads being coached to only start defending at half way, you never get space like that in a competitive game in Ireland. Better match than I expected thou.

outspoken
24/07/2012, 9:57 AM
Ye it was a very good match, good quality. Hopefully the barstoolers were impressed.