PDA

View Full Version : Favourite City Goal Poll

Pages : [1] 2

rebel yell
28/11/2001, 9:56 PM
What's the goal that you've seen city score that beats all others- and deep down you know you'll probably its like again will never see again? My knee-trembler is Dave Barry's against against
Borussia Munchengladbach In Europe. Better than losing your virginity and the ball stayed in the net longer too. ;)

dalo
29/11/2001, 8:30 AM
you have comitted a terrible error in the above statement. i am too embarrassed to point it out.

favourite goals

gerry dobbs volley into the top corner against waterford in the cross 1998

greg o'halloran 25 yard screamer against pat's at the cross 1999

ollie goals against shams up in tolka april 1998
and st pat's this season (the drop-volley)

derek couglan 35 metre lob against drogeda at the cross dec 1997

Ali-G
29/11/2001, 8:53 AM
Depends what you mean by favourite goal.

If you mean the goal that gave the greatest satisfaction, it was Colin O Brien against rovers last game of the season a few years ago. He scored from a flowing move in injury time, which meant that we beat rovers (yet again), and also that we qualified for europe.

If you mean the best goal, then mickey mellon in tolka about 6 or 7 years ago. or billy woods against bohs in bishopstown.

dalo
29/11/2001, 9:41 AM
i have heard a lot about billy woods goal. what was it like?

pete
29/11/2001, 10:10 AM
Billy Woods v Bohs at Bishopstown prob best goal - think Billy took the ball just inside his own half on the left (stand side) went pass a couple of bohs players then cut inside & continued to dribble his way until smashed a 30 yarder into top corner. Keeper not a hope.

League winning season, penultimate game, midweek versus Derry, city score last minute winner to keep league chances alive, half the people elft the ground, tears all round, no idea who scored...

Keiran Nagle volley from edge of the box, at the cross around 1990/91.

Johhny Glynns 'mud goal' at Bishopstown v rovers! :D :D

Seanie
29/11/2001, 10:37 AM
Greg O'Halloran's goal against Pat's in 1999 was sweet particularly after what had happened the three previous League games the season before. But Hartigan's goal against Rovers in the League Cup the previous Christmas remains top of my list.
By the way you have to admire's rebel yell's splendid spelling of Munchengladbach - pity about the howler!

dalo
29/11/2001, 10:49 AM
who is the least favourite person at Borussia Munchengladbach games?

The supporter who shouts "Give me a B, give me a O.......

pete
29/11/2001, 11:24 AM
That would the Borussia Munchengladbach that Effengerg, Caesar etc.. played for back then? ;)

James
29/11/2001, 1:31 PM
ok fav goal

woods out in the farm, as earlier described..great goal
dave barry against bayern
and paul bannon's in the RDS to win the league after that rediculous series of playoff's

other maybe greg's 25 yarder v pats and any goal against scumrock rovers :D

of course you also have Ollie's wonder goal up in richer earlier this year..i'm going to have to get on this one me thinks and sit comfortably on the fence for the moment

dalo
29/11/2001, 2:27 PM
funny enough if the title in 92/93 was decided on goal differance (as it should have been) shels would have won the league. however consdiering we blew it 2 years earlier to dundalk perhaps it was fair dues

to be honest I felt we won the league in slightly farcial circumstances. the team in 98/99 should have won the league anyway as well

the fai the following season in 1993/1994 then instigated the goal differance rule to decide title races. what a farce

Pablo
29/11/2001, 3:16 PM
ah lads ye are leaving out a good one. i know Hartigol and great aint normally in the same sentance but what about the winner in the league cup final in 1999? flowing football out of defence to attack and a sweet finish. If it had been ManU it would have been raved about......

James
29/11/2001, 3:21 PM
true fair point Pablo, remember the game well, its just as you said dont normally associate hartigan and great goal in the same sentence...come to think of until recently who would have thought of hartigan and any sort of a goal in the same sentence :D

Pablo
29/11/2001, 3:23 PM
i suppose as long as he keeps scoring it doesent matter if he is lazy..... as soon as he draws a blank he should be dropped again though.....

Gerry Desmond
29/11/2001, 4:10 PM
Originally posted by dalo
funny enough if the title in 92/93 was decided on goal differance (as it should have been) ....
the fai the following season in 1993/1994 then instigated the goal differance rule to decide title races. what a farce

Why should it have been decided on goal difference? League titles should always be decided on the field of play, not by mathematicians. Arsenal, for example, can claim to have once won a title by 0.27 of a goal or something ludicrous like that. What kind of stupid criterion is that to decide a CHAMPION club?
Granted, that was in the days of goal average, but even so what makes goal difference any better? Why not decide it by fewest goals conceded? Equally stupid, you'll probably agree.

Equal points, have a play-off. The problem in 92-93 was that 3 teams were involved, and the initial round-robin failed to seperate them. My solution: two teams tied after 33 games: play-off. 3 (or more) teams tied: use goal difference to ditch the third team and top two play-off.

It's good enough for Serie A, but naturally our lads prefer to kowtow to the British way of doing things...

Gerry

James
29/11/2001, 4:27 PM
get that chip off your shoulder man its weighing u down

i think nothing is wrong with goal diff, and it should have IMO been used to decide the 92/92 title...
isnt goal diff determined on the pitch Gerry?

Gerry Desmond
29/11/2001, 4:36 PM
Originally posted by James
get that chip off your shoulder man its weighing u down

i think nothing is wrong with goal diff, and it should have IMO been used to decide the 92/92 title...
isnt goal diff determined on the pitch Gerry?

There was one game that season when Bohs stuffed Waterford 6:0 after the Blues' keeper had been sent off. Had the title been decided by a single goal, would you have been happy with that red card deciding the destiny of the championship after nine months of effort by the team that lost the title? Do you assume referees, for instance, are infallible? Are you willing to accept all their decisions - the disallowed goal here, the red card that SHOULD have been awarded there?
Championships should be decided by POINTS, not GOALS. That's why championships were invented. We could have stuck with Cup competitions otherwise...

Gerry

pete
29/11/2001, 4:54 PM
Yup would be crazy to lose a league just because you only beat the worst team by 6 instead of & goals or something.

In the Serie A they decide a lot of things by playoffs when level on points; relegation, european places etc....

Another alternative could be the results between the teams that are level but if 3 rounds of fixtures that would be unfair to the team playing away twice.

I actually like the way Uefa decide by only taking the results of the top 4 teams in qualifying groups who comes 2nd in the group. Again its stupid to lose out on euro or WC place because you didn't put 10 goals past Andorra.

BTW wasn't Bohs who finished first on goal difference that time? I'll never forget the manner in which everyone thought bohs had it wrapped up only for them to compleylt brew it & the bus breaking down drama :D

niamh
29/11/2001, 5:01 PM
Greg's versus St. Pat's and, I can't remember which one, but Ollie scored a cracker against Pats in Dublin this season. Fabulous goal.

rebel yell
29/11/2001, 5:05 PM
Could the moderator make a poll on this one? I'd be interested
to see the result and maybe Gerry could feature the winner in his programme, show fotos, interview the player- and pay a modest fee to Foot.Ie. Enough to cover the moderators' Xmas booze-up I'd say!

Éanna
29/11/2001, 5:16 PM
greg's left footer -v- pats, morley's -v- pats on the telly, the hartigol strike in de league cup final, and ollie's at inchicore this year all stand out.

James
29/11/2001, 5:16 PM
hey rebell yell i like your way of thinking..and if everyone who posts could deposite a nominal fee into the foot.ie moderators off shore bank account in the cayman island we'll be sorted

yiddo
29/11/2001, 5:24 PM
Best goal what about mikey mellon v. Dundalk at the cross 4-0 december 91. Flanagan also got a screaming 30 yarder in his first season out at bishopstown. Davey also got a great goal in Bishopstown when he started the move in his own half, played it out to the wing and met the cross and finished it to the net. Can't remember who it was against but there was plenty rain and mud the same day. Could have been any game then!!

re 92/93 the business about the goal difference really ****es the bohs and shels off. however they knew from the start of the season that goal difference wouldn't apply. so it was the same for everyone. if it had happened to city though I wonder how I'd feel?

dalo
30/11/2001, 8:28 AM
any can't complain too much either way we did win a much deserved and long awaiting league title in 93. should have had at least 2 more since then though (grumble grumble)

Snatch
30/11/2001, 9:12 AM
Skippy's goal into the St. Anne's end against Bohes in the 92/93 playoff was a peach and one of the most important goals for the club.

Skippy also got a cracker in Bishopstown when he amazingly scored into the top corner from almost the corner flag on the stand side against Galway, I think.

Billy Woods screamer in Bishopstown was unforgettable too. Pity he's playing against us tonight.

Troy.McClure
03/12/2001, 2:36 PM
I only saw it on tv, but Hartigol also got a peach against Dundalk at Orial around the time of the league cup final. I cant remember too much about it, but it stuck out in my mind as being a sweet, sweet goal. Also against Dundalk, the season they were religated, Ollie got a screamer from the edge of the box against them at the Shed end.
Also, BBM's goal in the first leg of the League Cup final V Rovers was pretty good.
Greg's V Pats has to be my No. 1 though.

(The best eL goal that I ever was though was Crowe V Pats in Dayler last season. A screamer from 35 yards and worth the admission fee alone. Maybe Barry's Tea saw it aswell?)

dalo
03/12/2001, 2:41 PM
i was at the dundalk game you were referring to. hartigan turned and volleyed the ball into the top corner. no consolation for getting soaked though.

i am still surprised no-one remembers dobb's agoal gainst waterford in 1998. we won 5-0 and cahill got a hatrick

however cahill's goal against rovers on friday was every bit as sweet

SÓC
03/12/2001, 5:37 PM
Colin P. O'Brien v. Shels.

Great build up to the goal and that Cross from Alan Carey (was the kinda cross which if becham had done it in Engerland there would be may soiled underware on barstools across Ireland due to over excitement.) amazing run from Colin and the glancing header into the Shed End, what a way to introduce yourself

or perhaps Mulligans Wundergoal against Longford at the start of the season, the kick the ground then hit the ball on the way up trick left poor old Stephen O'Brien stranded

Also how about Johnny C v. Kilkenny a few years ago???

Troy.McClure
03/12/2001, 5:44 PM
I can remember Cahil's hat-trick alright, but Dobbs scoring (ever!) just eludes me, the same way I cant remember Kabia scoring either, but then again, maybe that's not my memorys fault :p

Troy.McClure
03/12/2001, 5:46 PM
I can remember Cahil's hat-trick alright, but Dobbs scoring (ever!) just eludes me, the same way I cant remember Kabia scoring either, but then again, maybe that's not my memorys fault :p

As far as important goals go btw, Mulligan's "siscor" kick against Pats last year was an important one mentaly I think. It was the first time in a few years that we came away from Richmond without a loss, and we have won there twice in a row now! :)

rebel yell
03/12/2001, 9:23 PM
Seriously though, is there any chance of a poll on this subject? It
would be interesting to see the result when there is just one that can be chosen , as everyone has half a dozen, it seems! You
could list the above and list a.n.other where respondents could name their own.

James
03/12/2001, 9:27 PM
Originally posted by rebel yell
Seriously though, is there any chance of a poll on this subject? It
would be interesting to see the result when there is just one that can be chosen , as everyone has half a dozen, it seems! You
could list the above and list a.n.other where respondents could name their own.

exactly why it could be done properly as there is no definitive list ever that culd be created...you could list 15/20 goals and still someone would say what about that..one from 6 years ago.or better still if you voted for one goal and then someone mentions a goal u had forgotten about..very hard to change votes ...

its just not worth the effort..or bother to constantly being tweeking the poll..IMO

hell idont even know what id vote for
10 years is a lota good goals

rebel yell
03/12/2001, 9:45 PM
Sure, James. But you could pick five from the above and add none
of the above. If the majority voted for none of the above then u'd know that u hadn't picked the right five. In England most people
pick John Barnes V Brazil or Michael Owen V Argentina. Most Iris would pick IMHO Houghton's V Italy 1994 or V England 1988. Most neutrals pick Maradonas second V England 1986. But moderators know best, I agree :D

James
03/12/2001, 9:47 PM
ok i'm finished work for the day and i'm too lazy to set it up right now ok... ;)

still think it would be v messy though

but i could do a poll on whether we should have a poll on the fav city goal..would that do?

rebel yell
03/12/2001, 9:52 PM
A poll of Polls? Has a certain novelty value at least. I guess thugh that if others wish it to happen, they only have to ask.

joe
03/12/2001, 10:12 PM
okay, okay, here's your poll

James
03/12/2001, 10:20 PM
what about paul bannon's league winner in the RDS in 93
priceless

James
03/12/2001, 10:28 PM
what about...

Dave Barry's goal in Galatasary....another gem :D

joe
03/12/2001, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by James
what about...

Dave Barry's goal in Galatasary....another gem :D

that was a poxy deflection :D

James
03/12/2001, 10:37 PM
what next you'll be saying he mi**** the bayern shot!!!!

ok so another one what about.......dereck's against shels..cup final reply..jusy for the reaction the clenched fist and him running to the fans ( god be with the days )

joe
03/12/2001, 10:42 PM
just 'cos you can't make up your mind!

there's 9 goals there pick one of them and move on, will ya!

James
03/12/2001, 10:45 PM
ok 1 more
suprides onone mentioned this
Athlone cup semi
Hatigan....bang goal..flares going off happy days.magic, 50,000 city fans at least at the game

rebel yell
04/12/2001, 4:08 PM
You've got to admire James style!Wearing his moderator hat, he
says that wouldn't work because someone was bound to say
"what about that one..?". Joe starts the poll and the first person
to say "what about that one..." is James himself. The man's got class. :)

James
04/12/2001, 4:34 PM
merely demonstrating my point Mr yell

joe
04/12/2001, 5:35 PM
don't worry, you get used to him :D

pete
04/12/2001, 5:59 PM
Only just noticed it now (no one ever said i was observant anyway) but big difference between best & favourite goal.

:(

Pablo
04/12/2001, 6:01 PM
all this and not a mention of Damian O'Connell........ a scandal :D

James
04/12/2001, 6:41 PM
Originally posted by pete
Only just noticed it now (no one ever said i was observant anyway) but big difference between best & favourite goal.

:(

which only reiterates my lack of enthusiasm for this poll, you will always have pedantic muppets (technical term) like pete who nit pick the wording of such a poll :D

rebel yell
04/12/2001, 9:03 PM
Having said that James, the exit polls so far are quite definitive
with our very own Davie Boy way out in front. By the way, any anorak know how many goals Gunther scored for city? Maybe I should enter "Gunther" and "goals" into Google and see what pops up.

joe
04/12/2001, 11:53 PM
then add "own" and see what you get :D

Gerry Desmond
05/12/2001, 8:53 AM
Originally posted by joe
then add "own" and see what you get :D

Poor old Liam, he just can't win! Now his playing career is being posthumously desecrated...have ye no shame, lads? :)

Gerry