PDA

View Full Version : Where should we play Andy Reid?

carnstien
19/08/2004, 3:35 PM
On recent form there is no way Andy Reid can be left out of the team. Duff is pretty much first choice on the left though, so where do we put him?

I suppose it's either the right or the middle. Finnan and Miller can play on the right and Kilbane, Holland and Kavanagh can play in the middle.

I think Reid might be better in the middle simply because of the quality of his passing, which is miles ahead of any player I have ever seen in an Irish shirt and although he is small he looks well able to get stuck in, opinions?

eirebhoy
19/08/2004, 3:40 PM
I'd stick him on the right. I'd have him up front for Cyprus if Robbie's not fit.

Bowsy
19/08/2004, 3:42 PM
Reid is class and was superb last night but wouldn't put him in the centre of the park for the same reason i wouldn't have Miller there - i don't think they are up to it yet. Reid chased back well last night but i think he'd be badly exposed in the middle. Lot of people will disagree with me but i think our strongest side won't accomodate both Miller and Reid.

Peadar
19/08/2004, 3:43 PM
No point discussing this.
Reid is going on the left with Duff up front.

tiktok
19/08/2004, 3:46 PM
While you mention that he gets stuck in, I've seen nothing to suggest he can perform the defensive side of a CM role for 90minutes.
To be honest I don't know why people keep insisting that left wingers, right wingers and left backs can do a job for us in central midfield ahead of men who are experienced in that position and have already delivered for us there.

Anyway, Reid...

I'd play him on the right if Duff gets his game at Chelsea, but on last night's showing Reid currently looks a better option for the left than Duff for the cyprus game (cue homicidal backlash :eek: ).
I'd play him upfront before I'd play him in CM though.

pete
19/08/2004, 3:48 PM
I'd say bit false judging Reid purely on last nights game as that was like a shop window for him gievn he wants to leave his club.

NeilMcD
19/08/2004, 3:58 PM
Reid has been very good since he came in and has played every match except the one against Jamaica, so I dont think people are judging him on last night alone. People who watch all the game will notice that he is a quality player that is not afraid to work either. We will have a midfield forward line of the following players

Keane,
Holland/Kilbane
Reid
Duff
Keane
Morrison

How Kerr plays it is unknown but I think the option of Reid and Duff playing on the flanks and swapping and changing is a good one, that would leave the full backs of the opposing team, in trouble. Both are both intelligent enough to do this. Having Miller, Kilbane or Holland,Finnan come off the bench is not a a bad situation to be in. The only other alternative to above is to play Duff upfront instead of Morrison, and play either Miller or Finnan on the right. Andy Reid will start for Ireland, so will Roy Keane, so will Robbie Keane, so will Damien Duff, and one out of Matt Holland and Kevin Kilbane. The final place all depends on where Duff plays, if he plays upfront it goes to Miller or Finnan. If Duff plays midfield it will go to Morrison.

Peadar
19/08/2004, 4:03 PM
How Kerr plays it is unknown but I think the option of Reid and Duff playing on the flanks and swapping and changing is a good one, that would leave the full backs of the opposing team, in trouble. Both are both intelligent enough to do this.

That can be a very dangerous tactic and I don't agree with trying it out in important games. Yes, the odd change of sides as the play demands but not as a tactic where by we get them to deliberately rotate during the game.
It's best to give guys a job and get them to stick to it.
You could start with Reid on the left and Duff on the right and switch them if it wasn't working out.

carnstien
19/08/2004, 6:02 PM
No point discussing this.
Reid is going on the left with Duff up front.
Where exactly do you get the idea that Kerr is going to break up the Keane/Morrison partnership?

Personally I think Duff up front is one of the worst ideas ever conceived. Cheers for that one Mick.

I don't agree that Reid is a better option on the left than Duff. While Reid is a more versitile and probably more complete player, I think Duff is still a better left winger, so I think he should play there.

Slash/ED
19/08/2004, 10:11 PM
I'd stick him on the right. I'd have him up front for Cyprus if Robbie's not fit.

That's exactly what I'd do too.

And what Carnstien said about the absolutley stupid notion that it's a good idea to absolutley waste the most talented player we have by far.

tricky_colour
19/08/2004, 10:47 PM
I would play him up front instead of Morrison.

Peadar
20/08/2004, 8:30 AM
I would play him up front instead of Morrison.

Based on what? His performances for Ireland in that position?
I'm going to have to set Micheal Martin on you because whatever you're smoking, it's melting your brain.

All I'll say on this is, wait and see.

green goblin
20/08/2004, 8:49 AM
Could be left, could be right, depends on whether Robbie's been hurt that week or not.

Stuttgart88
20/08/2004, 9:32 AM
Reid to play wide right.

Duff is wasted upfront. This is surely glaringly obvious by now. The whole balance of the team is thrown off by taking him off the wing. Likewise, even if we are short options upfront I'd still keep Reid on the right. Duff & Reid can swap wings through the game and their markers will be all over the shop.

Two tricky wide players, a solid core in the middle and mobility and height up front is how we function best.

Robbie & Alan Lee to start upfront vs Cyprus for me. Maybe Connolly (at least he’s a proper forward) with Lee to come on later. I think I’m the only one on this site who thinks Lee has something to offer though! With Duff and Reid putting in good crosses Lee’s heading ability will be a real asset for us. Connolly & Lee in Robbie’s absence. Just look at how well Doc did upfront for us last year (4 goals, two of them crucial). Lee is miles better than Doc.

Morrison has to be dropped at this stage and Macken had no chance on Wednesday to show he’s any better.

In my mind Keane, Duff & Reid are certain starters in midfield. Miller is by no means automatic even if he does play for MUFC and Reid only plays Div1. Reid is clearly the player in form.

I think Kerr prefers Holland and then Kilbane in the middle so I don’t see Miller starting.

Cyprus were missing a lot of players last time they were here so it’ll be a lot tougher this time. Oh for a first minute goal like last time.

tiktok
20/08/2004, 9:37 AM
I think I’m the only one on this site who thinks Lee has something to offer though.

You're not, i think he's a better option than Morrison to, although to be fair I've only seen him play for us in friendlies.
I'd have him upfront with Robbie too.

Stuttgart88
20/08/2004, 10:06 AM
although to be fair I've only seen him play for us in friendlies.

All of the new caps, including Reid, have only played friendlies so I wouldn't be overly concerned about that. We've got to give them a competitive start sometime and at home to Cyprus is better than away to Switzerland or France.

I reckon we've little to lose by trying him against Cyprus. He can't be any worse than Clinton HorrorMiss has been of late. I reckon he could link well with Robbie.

carnstien
20/08/2004, 10:12 AM
In my mind Keane, Duff & Reid are certain starters in midfield. Miller is by no means automatic even if he does play for MUFC and Reid only plays Div1. Reid is clearly the player in form.

Have to agree with that. Miller is a good player, he's definately premiership standard and will do well for Ireland for the next 10 years, but I think Reid is really something special.

I can see the potential in him to be one of the best players to ever pull on a green jersey which I don't think you can say about Miller.

Bowsy
20/08/2004, 10:42 AM
I can see the potential in him to be one of the best players to ever pull on a green jersey which I don't think you can say about Miller.

Bit hard on Miller. He's by no means that player yet but definitely has the potential. We expect too much of very young players. I think Miller will go on to be a fantastic player (perhaps one of the best) although Man U may not be the best place for his development.

I agree Lee is worth a look and would have liked to have seen him against Bulgaria. We've done the big man thing so many times with a far poorer player in the shape of Doc and done ok. Stands to reason a quite talented big man could be effective with Robbie. Although i don't buy into that Robbie needs to play with a big man bull. Robbie needs to play with an out and out striker - big or small. Clinton is still my choice though provided he's getting games at Brum.

tricky_colour
20/08/2004, 3:05 PM
Based on what? His performances for Ireland in that position?
I'm going to have to set Micheal Martin on you because whatever you're smoking, it's melting your brain.

All I'll say on this is, wait and see.

Based on the fact he scored 13-14 goals for Forest, a few more
than Morrison scored for Brum.

Beanie
20/08/2004, 3:52 PM
I have had a good luck at all the young lads at recent Irish Friendlies and playing for their respective clubs, and i Have too say it is Andy Reid that has most definitely impressed me most, he is a very gifted player, He shouldn't be compared to our most gifted player - Duff, he is different in that his range of passing is far more expansive than Duffs (I think his first touch on his debut against Canada was a killer pass from midfield over the head of two defenders to Robbies feet), yet he probably isn't able to beat men on the wing with the same ruthlessness Duff does on a regular basis. So Duffer gets the left wing

So the dilemma is where do we play potentially the most visionary player we have had since Giles or Brady.
I would say he is two small to partner Roy in midfield, but then again i'm starting to think Miller is too..
For the game against Cyprus i wud play him out of position on the right..

But his future is a playermaker behind the front two.

Adrianovic
20/08/2004, 5:38 PM
Errrm not sure if Reid is good enough to be a complete visionary, but he is certainly a player that Ireland haven't had as long as I've been watching them. He's just got creativity and the spark to make things happen, I cringe to compare him to Gazza (urgh), but he's that sort of player without being a tosser. Ireland have really struggled to break down teams that sit in front of us as long as I've seen us, Duff brought a new element with his dribbling to help, and now I think that Reid could pass his way through them. With the two of them in the team, we're quite potent going forward.

The only thing I'd worry about with them swapping wings is the communication with the full backs, Duff or Reid have not got very strong defensive attributes, so that might leave us exposed down the flanks - especially if we had to give Ian Harte a game if Josh completely loses form, then that'd be a total left side that couldn't defend. So if we had Reid and Duff alternating flanks, then there'd be no communication with the full backs and that could spell disaster, unless they got very good at it.

I'm in favour of playing Reid alongside Roy in the centre of the park. Roy cannot run very far anymore, it's the reality, he is a holding player and will not be able to bomb forward like before. However, this means he can look after our back 4 and then nip it off them before giving it to someone else. If we partnered him with Reider in the middle, it'd give Reid a creative license and allow him to support the attackers much better than say, Holland and Kinsella could do in the past. Reid wouldn't need to track back so much and having him in a semi-floating role may cause all sorts of problems for defences. He's a smart footballer, he could handle the free role.

I'd like to point out that Reid's best performances for Ireland have been in the middle, notabley on his debut against Canada where he was allowed to make 'killer' passes, as well as support the front two. If we could only find a partner for Robbie, and everyone was fit, we'd be an irresistable force going forward.

*drools*

Ade

brine3
20/08/2004, 5:38 PM
I'd like to point out that Reid's best performances for Ireland have been in the middle, notabley on his debut against Canada where he was allowed to make 'killer' passes, as well as support the front two. If we could only find a partner for Robbie, and everyone was fit, we'd be an irresistable force going forward.

Exactly.

What's this myth some people have about needing to "get stuck in" in order to play in the middle? Last I checked Jack Charlton wasn't our manager anymore. Most successful European teams have always had a skillful guy in the middle of the park. Look at Litmanen when he was at Ajax, Deco with Porto or Giuly at Monaco. Why is it that in Ireland, whenever we have a small, skillful player who could dictate the play and run the midfield, that we stick them up front or put them out on the wing?

Slash/ED
20/08/2004, 5:42 PM
Well the thing is Canada aren't exactly world beaters so it's hard to judge him there. I'd like to see him play centrally in some friendlys against decent opposition, with Keane beside him he probably wouldn't need to worry about the defencive side of his game anyway, but until then he'll probably be used on the wings.

Adrianovic
20/08/2004, 6:05 PM
In my opinion, to a degree, too many people in Irish football still don't take us seriously as a football team. We are limited with squad numbers and such, small population, minority sport in Ireland, etc. - but bloody hell, we have got some good players.

The success of Charlton's era in some ways does us no favours, the big man/little man strike pairing, battlers in midfield, all tried and tested theories that are hard to drop because they did so well for us before.

But if we're honest, Ireland these days have much more scope to play expansive football. We should be saying to Duff and Reid to go express themselves Dutch style, whilst playing in the same Irish spirit that boosts us against more able opponents. We're pretty good and I hope Kerr is the manager to break with tradition and get the side playing good football and building on the theory that the second round of the World Cup is a good show and we'll settle for that. Greece won the Euro Champs for feck sake, why couldn't that be Ireland?

The first step is to start qualifying for tournaments on a regular basis, truth is we weren't at Euro 96, WC 98, Euro 2000 and Euro 2004. Ok, so we got some bum draws in playoffs and missed out a few times, but from now on to be a respected team Ireland will have to be around for the summer.

I'm in an ambitious mood today.

Ade

concanta
20/08/2004, 6:43 PM
I agree with what you are saying Ade

I am very confident about the next few years. All we need is a partner for Robbie and a bit more stability in defence and we will be flying.

I really think we have issues up front - in my opinion connolly and macken are just not good enough...we have to try and be brave and risk someone like mcgeady or elliott(providing they both remain regulars for teams this year - which looks likely) Yes they are young and a bit untried but is that necesarily a bad thing. It is always good to have an element of surprise - they can add something a bit different.

I think that if we have robbie back and keep a fairly good bill of health we will be unbeaten in the qualifiers come xmas time

only1kilbane
20/08/2004, 7:45 PM
Very few changes needed from wed in my opinion. The only changes in defence andy o for doc and carr for finnan maybe .

Midfield same as wed reid keane kilbane and miller

up front if robbie fit have robbie up front and duffer just behind .. he can run the swiss defence ragged from here with them not knowing whether to man mark him or let him go

Slash/ED
20/08/2004, 8:12 PM
Duff has never, ever, ran a defence ragged playing up front. Him and Keane as a parntership don't work and that's been proven time and time again.

carnstien
20/08/2004, 8:40 PM
Very few changes needed from wed in my opinion. The only changes in defence andy o for doc and carr for finnan maybe .

Midfield same as wed reid keane kilbane and miller

up front if robbie fit have robbie up front and duffer just behind .. he can run the swiss defence ragged from here with them not knowing whether to man mark him or let him go
If we had Zidane, Vieira, Totti, Ballack and Baraja, I'd say you'd still have Kilbane in that midfield somewhere.

Didn't you see the game the last day, Duff was lost when in the forward position, he made one run in the whole game and that was from the left, he just can't play up front.

My midfield has to be

Duff Reid Keano Miller/Finnan

I'd be tempted to throw O'Shea in beside Keane when playing the French so we wouldn't be over run physically by Vieira and Mackele, but Reid and Keane are so good at passing the ball that the physical thing might not even be an issue.

only1kilbane
20/08/2004, 9:30 PM
Look fair enough i am a big fan of kilbane but i can see the bigger picture . I would not pick duff behind keane if i thought morrison was good enough but he aint. so might as well pick your best 11 rather than 2 forwards jsut to have 2 forwards. Morrison aint up to scratch . we need duffer reid and keane to play and the only way for it is if duffer plays behind keano and reid on the left. In switz i would be tempted to play carr and finnan on the right as still not won over by liam miller

Slash/ED
20/08/2004, 9:35 PM
Morrison is a better striker than Duff. He's scored more goals than Duff when played up front and Robbie Keane has scored more goals when played beside him than when played beside Duff. Duff and Keane, goals return wise, is probably one of our worst strike forces in recent memory.

brine3
21/08/2004, 12:16 PM
Duff Reid Keano Miller/Finnan

I'd be tempted to throw O'Shea in beside Keane when playing the French so we wouldn't be over run physically by Vieira and Mackele, but Reid and Keane are so good at passing the ball that the physical thing might not even be an issue.

That's exactly the midfield I'd go with.

There's no point in trying to play physcial football against Vieira and Makelele, we'd be playing to their strengths. We need to play to our strengths, and Reid and Keane have the ability to pass around them. Ajax went unbeaten against Arsenal home and away a couple of seasons ago in the Champions League, because Steven Pienaar and Tomas Galasek passed Vieira and co off the pitch. It was Vieira's (6'3", 83kg) job to mark Pienaar (5'9", 66 kg) but Vieira could only stand and watch.

http://www.ajax.nl/upload_mm/1986768289_1999999102_Pienaar_valt.jpg

eirebhoy
21/08/2004, 4:48 PM
If we had Zidane, Vieira, Totti, Ballack and Baraja, I'd say you'd still have Kilbane in that midfield somewhere.
If we had world class options all over the pitch you'd still find a place for O'Shea. ;)

BTW, Finnan has done nothing on the right to impress me. If anything I'd play Carr on the right of midfield if we're stuck for options. He has 3 assists from right back since Kerr took over and was originally a midfielder at in his early Spurs days.

Slash/ED
21/08/2004, 6:21 PM
I don't know about moving Carr, he's been impressive this year and made an impact the other day off the bench for us, moving him around could hurt his game. I'd definitely have him ahead of Finnan at right back atm, Finnan isn't a right winger which is hurting his game being played there so on the right I'd go with either Andy Reid or Miller depending on who exactly plays where elsewhere.

1MickCollins
21/08/2004, 6:46 PM
There umpteen combinations you could try - to be honest I think all the suggested tinkering would have pretty minimal impact. I think the focus has to be on Kerr and the team he puts out in the qualifiers, and the changes he makes during the games. Kerr will have more influence than any of the players. I think the next 4 competitive games will tell us a lot about Brian Kerr.

My only thoughts are Carr ahead of Finnan, Duff to be kept on the left wing for the remainder of his Ireland career. I don't agree with Reid or Miller in the middle yet, right midfield only for now. And I would never go with less than 2 from Keane, Holland, Kilbane or Alan Quinn in midfield. O'Shea is an option here but he is needed at left back. Macken may well be a starter very soon unless Morrison starts scoring. I don't rate Connolly.

Kenny Cunningham hasn't started either of Birmingham's 2 premiership games so far, I think this season he may have difficulty dislodging Upson & Taylor, which is a concern as we need stability at the back.

But it's great to see 3 Irish guys playing for ManU and McGeady looks very promising.

thejollyrodger
21/08/2004, 7:38 PM
The front six for me would look like this

______________________RobbieKeane____________Clint
Duff_____________RoyKeane____________Miller_______ ____________A Reid

Robbie is our best striker, even if its not world class so he's in. Clint is on because he does work hard and provides some of the assists to robbie.

Duff plays well out on the left so he is staying put. I have Andy Reid way out on the right so we can play a balanced side with 2 wingers. Both player provide our best oppurtunity of breaking down teams (without the long ball) and creativity.

If roy decides to play(joke) then i would put him in midfield of course and I have Miller there as he is "supposed" to be a great player.

eirebhoy
21/08/2004, 7:48 PM
Kenny Cunningham hasn't started either of Birmingham's 2 premiership games so far, I think this season he may have difficulty dislodging Upson & Taylor, which is a concern as we need stability at the back.
He was suspended for the first 2 matches of the season.

TonyD
21/08/2004, 9:14 PM
I would love to see us be brave enough to go with Reid in the centre of midfield, as I think long term that will be his best position. I reckon he has the potential to be in the Giles/Brady class as regards passing. He also impressed me working back the other night, so I don't see why this should be a problem. For Cyprus certainly, if not away to France, my midfield would be Keane and Reid central, Kilbane on the left, Miller on the right. Robbie and Duff upfront. It may not be Duffs best position, but nobody else we have looks good enough frankly. Having said that, my guess is that Brian Kerr will be conservative and go with Holland or Kilbane to partner Keane.

Slash/ED
21/08/2004, 9:44 PM
Robbie and Duff upfront. It may not be Duffs best position, but nobody else we have looks good enough frankly.

Frankly, Duff isn't good enough. He's shown himself to be a very poor striker, his goals return is rubbish, his partners goals returns have been rubbish and he doesn't set up any goals either. Morrison is simply a better striker, he scores more and his parnter usually scores more.

Seamusomick
22/08/2004, 1:20 AM
What I love most about this discussion is that we are in a position to argue over who should occupy various positions. For the last few years it's been a case of "if Kinsella (or whoever) doesn't break his leg we can put out 11 players!" Finally we have choices in midfield, and on the wings - and good choices at that. Personally, I'd leave Duff where he does his best work - on the left wing. Moving him is not an option. after that, make your choices with the others. I'd stick Reid on the other wing with Keane and Miller in the middle, but others will no doubt put forward very valid arguments for other players.

Honestly though - have you ever seen Duffer play anywhere near his best when he's anywhere other than on the left wing ? I still have great memories of watching him put the fear of god into the Germans and the Cameroon in Japan - blazing a path down the left wing... :) Quite looking forward to see him do it against the French in October...But we do need someone capable of finishing up front too - thats the real area we need to sort. Connolly is an ok first division striker, Morrison is too prone to miss and Doc's a defender. We need some one competent to partner Robbie - I hope Macken can rise to the challenge but so far, I have me doubts.

thejollyrodger
22/08/2004, 8:45 AM
Duff_____________RoyKeane____________Miller_______ __________A Reid

Seamusomick, davros mostly similar as myself. Reading in the newspapers, it seems as though Kerr has other ideas about the midfield.

Miller is playing out on the right for UTD but thats because they are short of players. His best position is centre of the park. Roy in the centre as well (no question there) and Duff plays his best way out on the left. Since A Reid can play out on the right (and do very well) then thats where he should be playing.

Independnt:- Kerr has admired Kevin Kilbane since he took the job.....

So have I, he works hard, all heart, but there is still no way i would put him in midfield and have take out any of the above bar injuries.

At the back I think we will do ok. Given as keeper, Carr on the right, O brien and Cunningham in the centre and that just leaves left back as the main problems in the side.(as far as i can see)

I wonder could Mc Geady play alongside robbie :confused:

Slash/ED
22/08/2004, 11:32 AM
Miller played in the middle for Man U yesturday and played very well imo.

Condex
22/08/2004, 2:25 PM
Miller played in the middle for Man U yesturday and played very well imo.

I watched the game as well and I'm not sure that I'd got so far and say he played well, he did OK.

Gave the ball away several times most likely still getting used to the pace of the premiership.

I'd like to be proved wrong but I think hes just too small and light-weight to make it as a regular in the utd team.

carnstien
23/08/2004, 9:02 AM
I watched the game as well and I'm not sure that I'd got so far and say he played well, he did OK.

Gave the ball away several times most likely still getting used to the pace of the premiership.

I'd like to be proved wrong but I think hes just too small and light-weight to make it as a regular in the utd team.
He definately needs to bulk up but if he does I don't see any reason that he can't make it with United because his passing and work rate are spot on.

carnstien
23/08/2004, 12:01 PM
Would say Reid more creative than Miller......so maybe he should be centre,as we have Feck-all creativity in midfield..
Somebody pinch me, I'm actually finding myself agreeing with davros.