PDA

View Full Version : Finn Harps Home.

Jofspring
27/06/2012, 4:06 PM
Series three about to start and back to the start again with harps at home. Happy with were we are at the moment and have to say fair play to Longford for the good run they have also sustained. Many on this before the season started said that it would be closer than the bookies think as a few other teams won't drop many points.

We have the most goals in the league of Ireland (both divisions ) and one of the best defensive record which also deserves a well done.

Have to keep the run going now though, especially at home so we can build a bit of support up again.

Going to go for a 3-1 win with an attendance of about 700.

Mr A
27/06/2012, 4:49 PM
Can't see anything but a Limerick win. We're hopeless defensively and while we often create chances we suck at converting them.

bluewhitearmy
27/06/2012, 4:58 PM
Talking to one of the lads at Bray and i agree with what he was saying one of our biggest problems now is we have so many good players.
We have Foley,Behan and Gaffney all fighting to start up front, Judge,McGann,O'Leary,Bradley and Gamble that can play in the middle and a lot of competition on the wings too great problem to have in fairness but could end up with a few being unhappy.

We didn't play excellently against Wexford and ended up winning 4-0 id take that from now til the end of the season.

Harps will come and sit back i reckon so it wont be pretty i wouldnt mind seeing Derek O'Brien play to get at em a bit.

Id go with :

B.Ryan

Kelly Purcell Guthrie Tracy

Bradley Gamble O'Leary O'Brien

Gaffney Behan

3-1 Limerick win

Jofspring
27/06/2012, 5:18 PM
True we have a lot of quality going for the same positions but with our history of injuries there is no harm. Already this season we have had Derek O Brien, Dominic Foley, Gary Sheehan and Cian Collins out for sustained periods. We have a good chance at rotating the squad a bit at the moment.

bluewhitearmy
27/06/2012, 5:19 PM
As long as he doesn't move Gaffney back to the wing.

thomas72
28/06/2012, 9:32 AM
As long as he doesn't move Gaffney back to the wing.

spot on he has been scoring for fun if anything it should be between behan and foley to partner him.

legendz
28/06/2012, 1:29 PM
What time is kick-off, and the cost? Hope to finally make it this time after something came up when I wanted to attend the Waterford game.

Jofspring
28/06/2012, 2:00 PM
7:45 kick off and 10euro in, 2 euro extra for the stand.

Sam_Heggy
28/06/2012, 8:50 PM
Ye'll batter us. We were probably the better team for most of the game last week against Longford and still got beat 3-1. Can't buy a goal, can't buy a clean sheet, can't even buy a box of tea bags, we're fooked.
Keith Cowan should make his first start since breaking his foot down in yer place in the first game of the season. That'll be a big boost. Kevin McHugh is back after 4 games out also a big plus. That's the end of the positives.

I'd be alot more confident if this game were to be a week later when we would have Funston and Scoltock available but ye'll walk it unfortunately, I'd say 3 or 4 nil easy.

NeverFeltBetter
28/06/2012, 8:57 PM
Is Gamble not suspended?

Minesapint
28/06/2012, 9:07 PM
Is Gamble not suspended?
He got sent off last week

Jofspring
28/06/2012, 9:30 PM
Is Gamble not suspended?

Think it was served in the EA Sports Cup game.

NeverFeltBetter
28/06/2012, 9:53 PM
Grand so.

Jofspring
28/06/2012, 11:42 PM
Grand so.

http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/8388/week-16---suspensions-list-2012/

Gamble is out alright. Suspended for next Competitive Airtricity League game.

NeverFeltBetter
29/06/2012, 12:02 AM
Chance for Judge to come in then, or is he still serving that suspension that kept him out of the last game?

bluewhitearmy
29/06/2012, 12:09 AM
Chance for Judge to come in then, or is he still serving that suspension that kept him out of the last game?

Id have Bradley and O'Leary before Judge.

Jofspring
29/06/2012, 12:14 AM
Id have Bradley and O'Leary before Judge.

Going by Monday night definitely. Judgie can play right wing as well so he could get a start there. Gary Sheehan did very well Monday but can still see him being in and out of the team at the moment. That or McGrath comes back in there.

dutchie
29/06/2012, 2:30 PM
Talking to one of the lads at Bray and i agree with what he was saying one of our biggest problems now is we have so many good players.
We have Foley,Behan and Gaffney all fighting to start up front, Judge,McGann,O'Leary,Bradley and Gamble that can play in the middle and a lot of competition on the wings too great problem to have in fairness but could end up with a few being unhappy.

We didn't play excellently against Wexford and ended up winning 4-0 id take that from now til the end of the season.

Harps will come and sit back i reckon so it wont be pretty i wouldnt mind seeing Derek O'Brien play to get at em a bit.

Id go with :

B.Ryan

Kelly Purcell Guthrie Tracy

Bradley Gamble O'Leary O'Brien

Gaffney Behan

3-1 Limerick win

Massive problem alright with too many good players,i dont see spain having that same problem,Man city will prob be relegated next year with all their class players,we were a lot better with average players do you not think----------------meanwhile back at the ranch--------------------------------------

bluewhitearmy
29/06/2012, 3:43 PM
Massive problem alright with too many good players,i dont see spain having that same problem,Man city will prob be relegated next year with all their class players,we were a lot better with average players do you not think----------------meanwhile back at the ranch--------------------------------------

What a stupid post after you have had your little rant you should read it again and see that i was saying its a good thing you know like when i said "Great problem to have".
Quite clearly not meant as a bad thing just highlighting the strength of our squad.

CraftyToePoke
29/06/2012, 8:45 PM
Job done, well done Limerick.

Seems Mr Caschera has had a very poor 90 at Mervue. Mervue led 3-0 and 4-2 but it was not to be, he sent off two home players and played five minutes injury time during which Longford found an equalizer and a winner, the winner from the spot. Controversial.

L.T.F.C.
29/06/2012, 9:01 PM
In fairness there were plenty of subs, six goals and two sendings off; more than enough to warrant five mins additional time.

legendz
29/06/2012, 9:15 PM
Took in the game at Jackman Park tonight. Good to see some international support, from the US, for Limerick. The penalty was a harsh call on Harps. Had a good view of it, definitely was a free but sure them's the breaks. The win fully deserved. Didn't get the name of the no. 17, he really added a threat down the right. Hope to take in a few more games over the course of the rest of the season. I had hoped my next league game would've been in Tralee for Kerry's LoI debut but disappointingly that was not to be. I'll wish Limerick the best in the mean time.

Jofspring
29/06/2012, 9:18 PM
In fairness there were plenty of subs, six goals and two sendings off; more than enough to warrant five mins additional time.

True and I think ye got the winner after 93mins anyway. We all had a feeling were I was that Longford were going to win when ye managed to pull it back to 4-3. Just glad we did the business in jackman.

Another outstanding performance from Dave O Leary with Bradley showing real class all night. Corie Tracey was exceptional also. Started slowly again but the football we played after that was excellent I thought. Kept it on the deck mainly and took our chances when we had them.

thomas72
29/06/2012, 9:18 PM
ANother good win and performance from us excellent 3rd goal by gaffney funniest moment of the night was the harps no8 losing it kicking corner flags and doors.
Longford got lucky again but I'm not worried 11 v 11 they were getting hammered a helping hand from the ref sending mervue down to 9 men got them there win we will catch them I'm not worried about them.
Huge game next week again waterford away we have to beat them at some stage this season.

Jofspring
29/06/2012, 9:21 PM
Took in the game at Jackman Park tonight. Good to see some international support, from the US, for Limerick. The penalty was a harsh call on Harps. Had a good view of it, definitely was a free but sure them's the breaks. The win fully deserved. Didn't get the name of the no. 17, he really added a threat down the right. Hope to take in a few more games over the course of the rest of the season. I had hoped my next league game would've been in Tralee for Kerry's LoI debut but disappointingly that was not to be. I'll wish Limerick the best in the mean time.

Hope you enjoyed the night. It was Derek O Brien that came on on the right wing if that's who you mean. Kerry native as well legendz.

legendz
29/06/2012, 9:39 PM
ANother good win and performance from us excellent 3rd goal by gaffney funniest moment of the night was the harps no8 losing it kicking corner flags and doors.
Longford got lucky again but I'm not worried 11 v 11 they were getting hammered a helping hand from the ref sending mervue down to 9 men got them there win we will catch them I'm not worried about them.
Huge game next week again waterford away we have to beat them at some stage this season.

lol, enjoyed that! Hard to blame him though, he was driven to madness!

Big game away next week alright, a win there should see things tipping over nicely over the next few weeks ahead of a massive home game against Longford the August Bank Holiday weekend.

cheifo
29/06/2012, 9:57 PM
3-0 is obviously a horrible result for us. How bad were we lads? Anybody on Harps side look decent?

Jofspring
29/06/2012, 10:01 PM
3-0 is obviously a horrible result for us. How bad were we lads? Anybody on Harps side look decent?

In the both times I've seen ye ye haven't actually been that bad. Not too many stood out for ye though. The no.16 when he came on looked lively enough. There is some big lads in that harps team. I feel ye need a goal scorer as going forward there was no real threat, Kevin McHugh isn't the threat he once was.

legendz
29/06/2012, 10:31 PM
The right-back, whoever he was, looked a good player, to me looked Harps best player on the night.

da bishop
29/06/2012, 10:44 PM
good result and for long periods some very good football.fair play to harps who played their part,though they never threatened ryan except for mchugh hitting the bar late on.both tracys excellent and o leary very composed throughout.gaffeney when he plays up front a breath of fresh air,well taken goal.could not make out the pen incident but important for us as harps were always in with a chance at one nil.WELL DONE scully....language appropiate all game and the team well prepared for this game.

NeverFeltBetter
29/06/2012, 10:47 PM
Good performance over all, though it took the red card and the penalty for Limerick to really look comfortable, up to that was still a bit of worry in the air.

Totally deserved though, Limerick were very solid. Ryan didn't have much to do thanks to the defence, might be their best performance of the season, even when they made a mistake they stayed focused and made sure Harps didn't get the opportunities.

Some great passing by the midfield, but I think Gamble was missed a bit tonight, seemed like they were all a bit hesitant to play the ball forward, even when Behan, Gaffney or Sheehan were calling for it. Forwards looked a bit frustrated at times. Behan had a good game, Sheehan was decent but looked a touch off pace sometimes, don’t think he won many headers and seemed to have trouble getting ahead of his marker, struggled to get to the ball first. Gaffney was brilliant when he came on, terrorized the Donegal men, could do with learning to pass the ball a bit more though. Finn Harps weren't totally awful, though Limerick just wasted a lot of possession and a lot of set-piece chances.

First goal was a bit lucky, thought for sure it went in off the Harps #5 but it's gone to Behan apparently? Second, certainly looked like a penalty to me, and the Harps man totally lost his head, overheard some people heading out the gate that he had it out with his own keeper (who was also cursing his own team mates constantly). Bit of confusion there for the people around me, had he been booked before, or did he get two yellow's in quick succession? Well taken penalty anyway. Gaffney's was a beaut, well deserved for the effort he put in.

Great performance by Limerick, but must admit the result from Mervue/Longford was a sucker punch. Not sure what happened there, the reports say they were controversial red cards. ET is saying they were both for dissent, not sure what to make of it. Shocking that the Galway men couldn’t hold that half time lead though. Though I'll take it as a sign of encouragement that Longford leaked so many goals, they have a tough enough test next week against Athlone (though ours is tougher). Limerick can only play their own games of course, and if they play like this they should keep getting the three points. Delighted that Scully has ditched the long ball/one man upfront tactics.

Anyone know the story for Dominic Foley? Not in the squad at all, don't tell me he's injured again?

NeverFeltBetter
29/06/2012, 10:51 PM
good result and for long periods some very good football.fair play to harps who played their part,though they never threatened ryan except for mchugh hitting the bar late on.both tracys excellent and o leary very composed throughout.gaffeney when he plays up front a breath of fresh air,well taken goal.could not make out the pen incident but important for us as harps were always in with a chance at one nil.WELL DONE scully....language appropiate all game and the team well prepared for this game.

If anyone involved with the club was cursing too much, it was Pat O'Sullivan behind behind the benches. All well and good to shout to the players, thought it wasn't so great when he started yelling at Scully. I know it doesn't really mean much, but I think it's bad form for the chairman to berate the team manager during a game like that.

CraftyToePoke
29/06/2012, 11:14 PM
If anyone involved with the club was cursing too much, it was Pat O'Sullivan behind behind the benches. All well and good to shout to the players, thought it wasn't so great when he started yelling at Scully. I know it doesn't really mean much, but I think it's bad form for the chairman to berate the team manager during a game like that.

What was he on at him about?

Jofspring
29/06/2012, 11:18 PM
Was definitely an O.G. The Harps keeper looked like he would have saved it only for the harps player getting a touch on it.

thomas72
29/06/2012, 11:20 PM

WEll givin he has pumped in a small fortune into Limerick I couldn't care if he starting lashing his umbrella off the dugout while roaring at the manager. NObody can question his commitment and Passion for the club top man

NeverFeltBetter
29/06/2012, 11:22 PM
It was only one moment really, it sounded like "get ****ing on them Scully" or something to that effect. He always shouts and curses at the players all game, it was the first time I've seen him direct anything at the manager.

Like I said, it wasn't a huge deal, but O'Sullivan isn't just any old fan after all.

Jofspring
29/06/2012, 11:26 PM
To me he seems to have that GAA fieriness from the side lines like you see from the lads at GAA games. He seems as much like he is trying to encourage and egg on the team as much as anything. Sometimes he can get a little too animated but I suppose he is entitled to.

NeverFeltBetter
29/06/2012, 11:34 PM
Ah, it's just my personal take, I know it means little in the scheme of things.

Noticed there was no call out for attendance, seemed like more then last week?

bluewhitearmy
30/06/2012, 12:58 AM
Very good win tonight i thought we were very solid with out playing lovely stuff in the 1st half 2nd half we really took control and did play some lovely passing play which was great to see.......I think the introductions of Gaffney and O'Brien really gave us the edge and they were made at exactly the right time so well done to Scully for that. I reckon it will be hard for Gamble to start next week as Bradley and O'Leary had very good games.
I would love to see O'Brien and Gaff start next week.

Dom Foley wasn't there tonight because of a bereavement.

Think attendance was something like 571.

Edit: Harps player sent off for spitting in his team mates face too.

NeverFeltBetter
30/06/2012, 1:19 AM
Ah, condolences for Foley then.

Disgraceful behaviour from MacBride, what's going on with Harps when stuff like that happens?

harpin
30/06/2012, 6:30 AM
To me he seems to have that GAA fieriness from the side lines like you see from the lads at GAA games. He seems as much like he is trying to encourage and egg on the team as much as anything. Sometimes he can get a little too animated but I suppose he is entitled to.

Last week he got a 3rd man in a 2 man wall just to help Barry out:D

Minesapint
30/06/2012, 9:52 AM
I cant see mcbride playing for harps again or else a hefty ban, kevin mc hugh not the player he once was although it is probably the worst harps side to come to limerick, Bradley and o Leary were outstanding and compliment each other in midfield, hope i havent spoke to soon i cant see us losing another game.

LK37oldskool
30/06/2012, 10:14 AM
Have to say best performance of the season(at home anyway). They looked so good when the ball was kept on the ground - what we all here have been calling for. O'Leary is pure class(nowhere near his full potential), if we dont go up this season he'll be gone to a Prem league side.Agree with other posters that the introduction of "The ginger ronaldo" and O'Brien turned the game.
I now think its time for Scully to be playing his best team every week. The likes of McGrath & Mcgann are looking good for the future but seemed a little out of their dept last night.
Last, a note of thanks to all the lads in the shed who created a great atmosphere last night.Its been a long,long time since we had such support.