PDA

View Full Version : Drogs player fails drugs test?

adamd164
26/06/2012, 9:41 PM
Journo Mark Cummins on twitter:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2lc4ch4.png

DUFC4life
26/06/2012, 9:51 PM
True alright. Player is blaming an energy drink or cough medicine, something like that. Waiting for B samples to come back. Id assume whoever it is is turfed out if its a genuine case of taking drugs.

Mark
27/06/2012, 3:08 PM
Innocent mistake apparently though nothing official coming out. Shows how all players should be more careful considering there is so much stuff on the banned list.

marinobohs
28/06/2012, 10:29 AM
Innocent mistake apparently though nothing official coming out. Shows how all players should be more careful considering there is so much stuff on the banned list.

Innocent mistake ? Either he took a banned substance - Guilty. Or he did not take a banned substance - innocent. Dont think accidentially taking a banned substance is a defence (although it may mitigate punishment)

Macy
28/06/2012, 11:49 AM
Innocent mistake ? Either he took a banned substance - Guilty. Or he did not take a banned substance - innocent. Dont think accidentially taking a banned substance is a defence (although it may mitigate punishment)
In sports that take it seriously (i.e. definitely not football), he'd probably be looking at a year ban if he could successfully argue it was accidental. I probably do think there should be some leniency if it was an over the counter medicine, at the level the LoI is at though.

Mark
28/06/2012, 11:53 AM
In sports that take it seriously (i.e. definitely not football), he'd probably be looking at a year ban if he could successfully argue it was accidental. I probably do think there should be some leniency if it was an over the counter medicine, at the level the LoI is at though.

I agree totally

Dodge
28/06/2012, 3:24 PM
PFAI names grimes
http://www.pfai.ie/news/303-statement-regarding-drogheda-utd-player

Hilariously they say "As the matter has yet to be determined by the Irish Sports Council, there is little that can be said at this juncture " before going into the exact details of the case

Jofspring
28/06/2012, 4:03 PM
I know a few lads that have used that stuff. It is a very very extreme energy drink. I know for definite it is banned at all levels of rugby in Ireland but have never actually heard anything about it being banned in football. I have a feeling he isn't the only player using the stuff and that is at all levels in Ireland.

Marcus Horan got in trouble for doping years ago when he used an inhaler for asthma (or something similar) but didn't have it in his list of medicines at the start of the season so was banned for it.

wonder88
28/06/2012, 4:41 PM
The lOI is not really the top level so how much did he enhance his performance by. Still if someone is getting money to perform I would have little time for anyone breaking the rules, for those on expenses only i think a second chance should be given.

bluewhitearmy
28/06/2012, 4:46 PM
The lOI is not really the top level so how much did he enhance his performance by. Still if someone is getting money to perform I would have little time for anyone breaking the rules, for those on expenses only i think a second chance should be given.

Why should it be any different just because they are only getting expenses?

SkStu
28/06/2012, 5:25 PM
http://dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com/simpsonsgood20.jpg

Sonny
28/06/2012, 7:02 PM
PFAI names grimes
http://www.pfai.ie/news/303-statement-regarding-drogheda-utd-player

Hilariously they say "As the matter has yet to be determined by the Irish Sports Council, there is little that can be said at this juncture " before going into the exact details of the case

The PFAI is a ****ing circus.

adamd164
28/06/2012, 9:33 PM
So, going by that statement, he's facing a ban? It's hardly an excuse to say 'I didn't check the ingredients'. Although it might not be too severe a punishment.

Jofspring
28/06/2012, 9:37 PM
Is every club and player given a list of banned substances or is it up to the individual to check it out?

and/or

are the clubs and players educated on it seens as they could face testing through the season?

How does it work?

marinobohs
29/06/2012, 1:06 PM
So, going by that statement, he's facing a ban? It's hardly an excuse to say 'I didn't check the ingredients'. Although it might not be too severe a punishment.

I suspect its a case of "hands up, you got me Gov" and trying to mitigate the punishment by a "sure, it was all a big mistake" defence :rolleyes:

Part time/ full time makes no difference, if you participate in the league you accept the rules.

Usual amateur hour representation by PFAI.