PDA

View Full Version : What's the future direction for the league with 19 clubs?

Pages : [1] 2

legendz
21/06/2012, 1:12 PM
Is there likely to be any other club(s) joining ahead of 2013?
Is the opposite possible, a contraction to 18 clubs or less resulting in a single tier division?

culloty82
21/06/2012, 1:17 PM
I'd imagine GUST will replace the other Galway teams, in order to leave a convenient 18-team single division. Any Carlow or Kerry developments are dead in the water for the next few years, until the current financial situation stabilises.

geezer
21/06/2012, 2:16 PM
I'd imagine GUST will replace the other Galway teams, in order to leave a convenient 18-team single division. Any Carlow or Kerry developments are dead in the water for the next few years, until the current financial situation stabilises.

Its been made quiet clear that next season will have only one competing club from Galway

Charlie Darwin
21/06/2012, 2:21 PM
And about 50 active fans from the sound of things.

legendz
21/06/2012, 2:22 PM
Its been made quiet clear that next season will have only one competing club from Galway

18 team Premier it is so. Thanks for the answer.

Jofspring
21/06/2012, 2:29 PM

So are you saying no Mervue or GUST next season, no SD and Mervue or no GUST and SD?

nigel-harps1954
21/06/2012, 3:19 PM
All 3 are going to combine to make Super Galway FC.

legendz
21/06/2012, 3:52 PM
All 3 are going to combine to make Super Galway FC.

There was once some comment about a Reb Bull Galway, maybe we'll see Supermacs Galway FC?

Sam_Heggy
21/06/2012, 4:46 PM
Put 19 Chairmen in 1 room, the last 12 standing's clubs form the Premier League next season, the other 7 to be put into the street for public execution.

BonnieShels
21/06/2012, 5:08 PM
Put 19 Chairmen in 1 room, the last 12 standing's clubs form the Premier League next season, the other 7 to be put into the street for public execution.

Promise?

Sam_Heggy
21/06/2012, 5:23 PM
Promise?

I'd be confident of our Chairman beating at least 7 other Chairs so fingers crossed it goes ahead.

BonnieShels
21/06/2012, 5:29 PM
I'd be confident of our Chairman beating at least 7 other Chairs so fingers crossed it goes ahead.

Well, your first pint is on me if it does!

Sean South
21/06/2012, 6:30 PM
Unless Mervue and Galway get into serious financial problems they have every right to remain in the league of Ireland next season. But I'd have a feeling that Galway will leave the league, the whole rebranding hasn't worked so looks like Mervue will be the only club from Galway if it's true that there will be only one Galway club. Maybe GUST will roll in behind MU they are a proper club with a quality set up and are well inbeded into their community. Maybe having GUST involved they will gain support from the wider Galway community.

Olander
21/06/2012, 9:57 PM
Unless Mervue and Galway get into serious financial problems they have every right to remain in the league of Ireland next season. But I'd have a feeling that Galway will leave the league, the whole rebranding hasn't worked so looks like Mervue will be the only club from Galway if it's true that there will be only one Galway club. Maybe GUST will roll in behind MU they are a proper club with a quality set up and are well inbeded into their community. Maybe having GUST involved they will gain support from the wider Galway community.

Another Sligo bellend that considers himself an expert on the state of Galway football and feels the need to spread his "wisdom".

Why on earth would GUST ever get involved at Mervue? You're utterly clueless.

Yeah.... Mervue are a proper club embedded in their community (they get around 100 people at their home games, cool.) and Galway United are a franchise (according to your goodself, that's one of my personal favourites that I've read on here lately) LOL. Utter ringpiece. Makes for entertaining reading nonetheless I suppose.

geezer
21/06/2012, 10:25 PM
In Galway its Galway Hurlers for hurling, Galway Footballers for football and its Galway United (st) for soccer.

Galway United (st) will be back at Terryland the home of Galway United (st) for the
Port Vale friendly on the 28th of july,
The Eamon Deacy game Galway Utd/West Utd legends V Aston Villa Legends on the 18th of August
and in september for the u19s first game of the season

and on the third day...........

Terry
21/06/2012, 10:36 PM
....and remember, Nick Leeson said that they will be coming back for the 2013 season !!!!!!

geezer
21/06/2012, 10:45 PM
its all in the plan, but keep him out at drom soccer park for good where he resides these days

nigel-harps1954
21/06/2012, 11:03 PM
Another Sligo bellend that considers himself an expert on the state of Galway football and feels the need to spread his "wisdom".

Why on earth would GUST ever get involved at Mervue? You're utterly clueless.

Yeah.... Mervue are a proper club embedded in their community (they get around 100 people at their home games, cool.) and Galway United are a franchise (according to your goodself, that's one of my personal favourites that I've read on here lately) LOL. Utter ringpiece. Makes for entertaining reading nonetheless I suppose.

You fool. He's from Limerick.

Lim till i die
22/06/2012, 1:32 AM
It's becoming more and more obvious to me that they'll be hoping for two or three more to die so they can run with a 16 team league next season, GUST will be fired into it provided the suits are confident they've enough control over them by the time it happens. (I've no doubt they will)

Bohs
Cork
Derry
Drogheda
Dundalk (can't see them going pop, they're DUNDALK ffs!)
Galway
Limerick (provided we somehow manage to win the First Division)
Pats
Shamrock
Shels
Sligo
UCD (safe)

Plus four more.

To be decided on some mad arbitrary basis.

If Longford were to finish below Limerick but then beat Dundalk in a playoff, I reckon they could be added to that list.

If a 16 teamer goes ahead it will be absolute poison unless there's an awful lot of thought put into it.

So it will be absolute poison.

Lim till i die
22/06/2012, 1:35 AM
Another Sligo bellend.

The dream is over. :(

Sean South, it's been emotional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtrNknhuG60

Spudulika
22/06/2012, 2:19 AM
It's becoming more and more obvious to me that they'll be hoping for two or three more to die so they can run with a 16 team league next season, GUST will be fired into it provided the suits are confident they've enough control over them by the time it happens. (I've no doubt they will)

Bohs
Cork
Derry
Drogheda
Dundalk (can't see them going pop, they're DUNDALK ffs!)
Galway
Limerick (provided we somehow manage to win the First Division)
Pats
Shamrock
Shels
Sligo
UCD (safe)

Plus four more.

To be decided on some mad arbitrary basis.

If Longford were to finish below Limerick but then beat Dundalk in a playoff, I reckon they could be added to that list.

If a 16 teamer goes ahead it will be absolute poison unless there's an awful lot of thought put into it.

So it will be absolute poison.

Dundalk will do well to see out the season. The recent mail out could see to that. The serious mismanagement, damaging disconnect between administration and supporters, not to mention the less than impressive football at Oriel, is all being played out during a dirty war that makes the Irish Civil War look like a row in a creche. Begging supporters for 200 quid a head, just to keep the club going, does nothing to help the situation. The company could be wound up if the owner continues to be, well, odd.

http://blackandwhitetown.tumblr.com/post/25465555407/matthews-claims-that-club-was-sabotaged

Sean South
22/06/2012, 6:24 AM
http://imgur.com/tCp90.gif

dong
22/06/2012, 7:16 AM
Dundalk will do well to see out the season. The recent mail out could see to that. The serious mismanagement, damaging disconnect between administration and supporters, not to mention the less than impressive football at Oriel, is all being played out during a dirty war that makes the Irish Civil War look like a row in a creche. Begging supporters for 200 quid a head, just to keep the club going, does nothing to help the situation. The company could be wound up if the owner continues to be, well, odd.

http://blackandwhitetown.tumblr.com/post/25465555407/matthews-claims-that-club-was-sabotaged

Not prone to exaggeration are you?:D

bullit
22/06/2012, 8:15 AM
Not prone to exaggeration are you?:D

Spud may exaggagerate a little but make no mistake about it,there is a real fight going on in Dundalk for the hearts and minds of the core supporters of this football club.
Up Here in Dundalk we have an unidentified/Fastfix/lies side v a Gerry Matthews/more lies side with no in between or laying in the ditches siht-just like the civil war.

Dodge
22/06/2012, 8:52 AM
Spud may exaggagerate a little but make no mistake about it,there is a real fight going on in Dundalk for the hearts and minds of the core supporters of this football club

Something shiny should look after the minds.

bullit
22/06/2012, 9:06 AM
Something shiny should look after the minds.

Aye :rolleyes:
Cheers for the swift reply dicko ;)

marinobohs
22/06/2012, 9:56 AM

..... take out Dundalk and Oriel and insert club/ground name of choice :cool: seems like the business model at most LOI clubs.

Spudulika
22/06/2012, 8:49 PM
Spud may exaggagerate a little but make no mistake about it,there is a real fight going on in Dundalk for the hearts and minds of the core supporters of this football club.
Up Here in Dundalk we have an unidentified/Fastfix/lies side v a Gerry Matthews/more lies side with no in between or laying in the ditches siht-just like the civil war.

Jesus Bullit, I was understating it. I know Dong makes a laugh about it, but if it was in Sligo he'd not smile. I'm just hoping for a club to support come November.

legendz
03/07/2012, 10:22 PM
So, what's the latest? Dundalk are in trouble. I know nothing about the ins and outs of it. What's the state of other clubs? Are Wexford Youths ok? Is Galway going in the direction of one club?

Charlie Darwin
03/07/2012, 10:25 PM
Youths will be fine. They have no outstanding debts too big for Mick Wallace to renege on.

Trainee
24/07/2012, 10:11 AM
Talks between GUST, Galway & DL, Mervue & Salthill are to resume today

http://www.galwaynews.ie/26904-fai-begins-talks-united-side

ahmcd
24/07/2012, 12:35 PM
Possible 2013 teams:

Athlone
Bohs
Bray
Cork
Derry
Drogheda
Galway (One Team)
Harps
Limerick
Longford
Pats
Rovers
Shels
Sligo
UCD
Waterford
Wexford

Cobh could also be returning to the league. That puts the total at 18 teams. The Premier will probably remain with 12 teams. If Dundalk get a license, it will be 19 teams. The FAI would surely have to add another team. Maybe Tralee, or if they solve the Galway problem, they probably create another one in Donegal with Fanad of Letterkenny like the U19 league. They couldn't have a 6 team First Division though tbh, I wouldn't be surprised.

Charlie Darwin
24/07/2012, 12:39 PM
Did Fanad not pull out of applying for a license this year?

ahmcd
24/07/2012, 12:45 PM
They did but they could be back because they kept their U19 team going.

Charlie Darwin
24/07/2012, 12:46 PM
What is their support base like? Do they have one?

ahmcd
24/07/2012, 2:40 PM
Not too sure. I would say they would get about 100 or so a match. It is a parish club.

legendz
24/07/2012, 2:40 PM
Are new clubs like to join the league unless the first division is split north and south like the U19 league. I'd see the only options being a single tier of 16 / 18 teams or the premier of 12 as started this season and two regional leagues with 8 in each division.

ahmcd
24/07/2012, 2:53 PM
I would say Cobh would as they always played in a nationwide league. Fanad played in the Northern A Championship and the Northern U19 league. Fanad might not join the nationwide league but maybe a northern one. IMO the First Division should be regional league. Tralee also may join a Southern league.

legendz
24/07/2012, 4:00 PM
I'm realistic on the prospect of a regional second tier. It will not happen. 9 clubs would have to show interest all of a sudden.

sadloserkid
24/07/2012, 5:03 PM
Are FC Carlow still an option? They got as far as provisionally applying or something last time didn't they?

Jofspring
24/07/2012, 5:15 PM
I just feel until the league as it stands is sorted out then any new teams are doomed.

The league needs to be attractive enough that if a new club came into it people in that particular area would want to go down and see their local team competing and might bring their crowds up. For example if Tralee Dynamos came into the league and were playing SD Galway then it's not exactly going to get the locals interested in going but if they were to come in and have a Munster derby against Cork or a successful limerick in an already decent league then they have a better chance of getting the ball rolling.

Trainee
24/07/2012, 5:20 PM
Are FC Carlow still an option? They got as far as provisionally applying or sommething last time didn't they?

I Think they pulled out after Fai said they would have to play home games in Buckley Park Killkenny. Its hard to see Carlow or Tralee applying for next year as if they still had an interest they surely would have remained in U19 league

sadloserkid
24/07/2012, 6:03 PM
I just feel until the league as it stands is sorted out then any new teams are doomed.

The league needs to be attractive enough that if a new club came into it people in that particular area would want to go down and see their local team competing and might bring their crowds up. For example if Tralee Dynamos came into the league and were playing SD Galway then it's not exactly going to get the locals interested in going but if they were to come in and have a Munster derby against Cork or a successful limerick in an already decent league then they have a better chance of getting the ball rolling.

Agreed. But it's a real chicken and egg situation there too as it's hard for the league to appear attractive when it sheds clubs so often.

I Think they pulled out after Fai said they would have to play home games in Buckley Park Killkenny. Its hard to see Carlow or Tralee applying for next year as if they still had an interest they surely would have remained in U19 league

That was my assumption too. It's an indictment of the game in this country but there's not many real options in terms of potential clubs.

legendz
24/07/2012, 7:44 PM
I think the U19 league has shown what can be done going forward. Single tier top division and a regional league below it. It is hard for the league to appear attractive. I can only see any potential clubs coming in under a regional set-up. I imagine established clubs in the first division will not be in favour of that?

oriel
24/07/2012, 8:12 PM
Dundalk will be fine to see out the season, already this week the DFC Trust have donated 4k, also a host of other active fund raisers going ahead, including at bottom end (but still important) pub quizes & charity games, to the Chelsea XI game in August, and also the comedy night, headlined by Ardal O'Hanlon in Crowne Plaza (him and others giving time free, an amazing gesture), so a nice programme of events building, and at last performances and attendances on the rise, all added will see us safely end the season.

As for 2013 ?? Who knows, but a solid take over (2 bids reportably in so far as the end of July deadline looms), for the club to prosper beyond 2013, the right takeeover needs to take place, with full fans and local support.

My view forward for the LOI, a 18 team PD, with a regional North/South FD, top two possibly either promoted or at least into play off final, and a strong think of returning to winter, or adjusted summer season. Could start on 1st Sept w/e, miss out Jan, and end in late May. Thus missing out on the holiday season (when crowds go down, but clubs still fit to play in europe as season just ended in late May)

nigel-harps1954
24/07/2012, 9:10 PM
What is their support base like? Do they have one?

They won't be applying. They only applied in the first place because they thought the First Division was going to be regionalised this year. When they counted the cost of expenses, they decided against entering the league.

As for support base, they'd get no more than 100 people a game. A parish club in the middle of nowhere essentially. Their ground is more secluded than Salthill's Drom.

I think the U19 league has shown what can be done going forward. Single tier top division and a regional league below it. It is hard for the league to appear attractive. I can only see any potential clubs coming in under a regional set-up. I imagine established clubs in the first division will not be in favour of that?

This..

My view forward for the LOI, a 18 team PD, with a regional North/South FD, top two possibly either promoted or at least into play off final, and a strong think of returning to winter, or adjusted summer season. Could start on 1st Sept w/e, miss out Jan, and end in late May. Thus missing out on the holiday season (when crowds go down, but clubs still fit to play in europe as season just ended in late May)

..and this.

I believe for some reason the FAI are testing the waters with the under 19 league. I have some sort of view of the league becoming a 16/18 team premier with two 8/10 team regional divisions below it. For this obviously there would have to be more clubs, but I think the idea of a regional division would appeal much more to the likes of Carlow, Fanad, Letterkenny, Tralee, Cobh, et all, to build up and not have too much travel involved.

For me, it's the only way forward at this stage. But, the big thing is, the option simply has to be there every season for the winners of the LSL, USL and MSL and a Connaught team to enter the league each season via a play-off. They don't have to take it, but the option should be there for them.

Trainee
24/07/2012, 9:30 PM
There will never be enough clubs in First Div to even consider regionalising it. Anything less than 8 teams in a group would mean the First Div season would be too short and everyone would loose interest very quickly.

gufc2000
24/07/2012, 9:47 PM
It would be very hard regionalise the First Division if you had an 18 team Premier Division, you'd need another 20 clubs to have two even divisions below the Prem. 14 teams in the Premier would be ideal, but the amount of games would be impractical (3 rounds gives 39 which is too much, 2 rounds give 26 which is too little).

White Horse
25/07/2012, 10:44 AM
My own perference is for a 16 team single tier League of Ireland, the reintroduction of a reserve league (regionalised) that also includes some of newer clubs that are building themselves up.

I'd prefer to see the summer season stay as it puts less difficulties on maintaining pitches and should help the top clubs in Europe when the league gets stronger.

legendz
25/07/2012, 11:11 AM
There will never be enough clubs in First Div to even consider regionalising it. Anything less than 8 teams in a group would mean the First Div season would be too short and everyone would loose interest very quickly.

Agreed. At best I can only see two groups of 8 below a Premier of 12. In recent years I thought it was a possibility if Castlebar and Tullamore had stayed on board. I'm not sure they'd have withdrawn from the last A Championship had a regional first division been on the cards. If ye take Fanad, Castlebar, Tullamore, GUST, Cobh, Carlow and Tralee. These are 7 potential clubs that could've been lined up for a regional first division this season, 1 short of being able to form two groups of 8. Now again it has to be stressed, will first division clubs be open to the idea of a regionalised first division? My understanding is the idea was mooted but rejected. Following Monaghan's withdrawal and uncertainty on the number of clubs in Galway, an opportunity has been lost for the regionalised second tier to come in.