PDA

View Full Version : Figo Quits.

Peadar
18/08/2004, 4:01 PM
Luis Figo has confirmed that he will not play again for Portugal.

The return of Roy Keane is believed to have scared many "big" name players into early International retirement. :D

max power
18/08/2004, 4:46 PM
he is also out of contract at madris in december and it won't be renewed, good signing for any club.....by not europe as he will be cup ties i'd say.

bitored
18/08/2004, 5:04 PM
Why is this in the national team section?? :confused:

Seamusomick
22/08/2004, 1:44 AM
Figo is/was an awesome player. Personally I happen to think his retirement is a loss to the game. I remember the game between Ireland & Portugal where himself and Roytson dominated the game - you could just as easily taken the other 20 off and let them to it. He is a giant of the game and I for one will miss his class. Much as I'm pleased with Greece upsetting the giants in euro2004 I do feel it's a shame a player of his class didn't have a chance to finish on a high note.

(*steps back and waits for the abuse cos Figo didn't play Eircom League football so clearly was never properly tested*)

adamcarr
22/08/2004, 1:58 AM
(*steps back and waits for the abuse cos Figo didn't play Eircom League football so clearly was never properly tested*)
So True! :D

Harry Tipper
22/08/2004, 6:14 PM
In his prime, Figo was one of the best players in Europe. But beyond all the hype, its gotta be said that he's been fairly harmless the last couple of seasons. More than a few defenses in la liga have pretty much learnt to neutralise Figo's wierd and wonderful wandering ways, which in itself has probably contributed to Real's relatively poor results.
He had a good European Cup though and he's smart to call it a day now.
Herself thinks he's 'a ride'. I call him 'fatso'. :D

Peadar
23/08/2004, 8:39 AM
I remember the game between Ireland & Portugal where himself and Roytson dominated the game

If you're talking about the game in Lansdowne then I beg to differ.
Keane gave a Figo a right good shoulder in the first half and sent him crashing out over the sideline. Figo was a quiet mouse for the rest of the game. Classic stuff!