PDA

View Full Version : Flooding in Cork

James
03/12/2001, 5:06 PM
lads just heard on the 6pm today fm news and they are reporting severe flooding in Cork and esp The Turners Cross area..with it expecting to get worse by 7pm tonight during high tide...

joe any chance of pics of the pitch at the X for me..

how's the pitch going to survive this with the upcoming UCD game on Sunday ...

Schumi
03/12/2001, 5:07 PM
It'll still be better than Richmond Park last year I'd say!

James
03/12/2001, 5:08 PM
AA roadwatch also watch out for Victoria Cross and Sunday's Well

Éanna
03/12/2001, 6:14 PM
Originally posted by James
AA roadwatch also watch out for Victoria Cross and Sunday's Well
christ man, you must be bored! :D No work to do- i'll mail you over a few of my assignments to keep ya busy if you want!

James
03/12/2001, 6:17 PM
yea was listening to dunphy...while waiting for the excellant tom dunne to come on..still working btw :D

Gerry Desmond
04/12/2001, 3:06 PM
yea was listening to dunphy...while waiting for the excellant tom dunne to come on..still working btw :D

And more heavy rain forecast for this evening, James!

Gerry :eek:

pete
04/12/2001, 3:15 PM

Tom 'parachute' Dunne does a good show, not that I get to listen to much.

goalside
05/12/2001, 5:27 PM
Originally posted by Gerry Desmond

And more heavy rain forecast for this evening, James!

Gerry :eek:

The rain has stopped now lads.

James
05/12/2001, 5:32 PM
cheers for that goalside..how do you reckon the pitch will be for sunday..any chance of it drying out..

now if only we could get joe down there with the digital camera!!

btw it's currenly 74 degrees here the suns out .(thats a fine summers day for u lot) had my lunch in shirt sleves outside and theres f-all work to do..as usual....ha ha

wish you guys were here (well actually no i dont :D )
james

goalside
05/12/2001, 5:35 PM
heavy frost is forecast for saturday night. where the heck are you james- 74 degrees.

James
05/12/2001, 5:36 PM
yera only down the road boy
boston Mass,

goalside
05/12/2001, 5:37 PM
what time is mass over - churches can be hot all right.

James
05/12/2001, 5:41 PM
mass anytime from 7am..but i normally go Sat night..otherwise to hungover on a sunday..same old same old...was thinking of going to mass over the internet but AT&T's broadand connection is really dodgy in my place at the mo :mad:

so gota catch the live showing

goalside
05/12/2001, 6:27 PM
The god channel is well worth watching. anyway it beats mass.

joe
05/12/2001, 7:59 PM
how do you reckon the pitch will be for sunday..any chance of it drying out..

now if only we could get joe down there with the digital camera!!

was down there today actually, but didn't take any snaps (didn't think anyone would be interested). the pitch looked alright, but there's a long way to go before sunday yet, and there's the following sunday to consider too.

goalside
05/12/2001, 11:30 PM
Frost not now expected. Should be ok

Gerry Desmond
06/12/2001, 9:15 AM
...James is undeniably a sunshine supporter! :D

Meanwhile, on the ould sod, it's raining again...

UCD in the slush, Dublin ref...how you must miss it, James!

Gerry

Neil
06/12/2001, 10:27 AM
It's raining heavily again in Cork.

All jokes aside, the game on Sunday must be in doubt now.

pete
06/12/2001, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Neil

I'd be surprised if it wasn't raining in Cork! :eek:

You only realise how much it really rains in Cork once you move away from there!

Schumi
06/12/2001, 1:31 PM
Originally posted by Neil

All jokes aside, the game on Sunday must be in doubt now.

Bo11ocks, when would a decision be made?

James
06/12/2001, 1:37 PM
the wya things go in cork schumi..could be as late as 30mins b4 KO..unfortunately..

i remember turning up at a game..after listening to the news all morning which preveiwed the game and also never said the game was off...even on 1pm news for a 2pm start..only to discover when i got to the X that the pitch was a complete swimming pool !! by 1.30pm...now all that rain couldnt have happened in 30minutes from when it was ok at 1pm now could it ! :confused:

its all just another problem i have with the board of CCFC (who Gerry I'm not blaming for the weather..but for the whole lack of information and PR that goes with this club)..

iN this case Schumi may travel all the way from the pale only for the game to potentially be called off an hour b4 KO..
then what will happen..next time a game is on in cork..schumi might just say feic it ..i'll stay in the college bar on the ****..and ucd will be down to 3 supporters and CCFC will have lost a customer ..due to IMO incompetence

Same old city!! :mad:

Gerry Desmond
06/12/2001, 1:39 PM
Originally posted by Schumi

Bo11ocks, when would a decision be made?

Hey, it's not that bad. The worst of the rain was last Monday. There have been plenty of breaks in between. A lot would depend on the weather tomorrow and Sunday morning. A decision wouldn't be made until early moring of the match, unless roads were obviously unpassable or something which they're not.
I'd say that unless there's a monsoon tomorrow the ame will go ahead.

An interesting aside: on Monday there was bad flooding on Curragh Road. Reason? The company the Corpo got to resurface the area covered the drains as well...! The Fire Department was called to locate and clear the drains....honestly! Would have been interesting if it had happened just before a match...

Gerry

Schumi
06/12/2001, 2:46 PM
I hadn't heard anything about it since Monday so I assumed that the game would be OK but now I'm not so sure. I'll head down anyway if I don't hear anything (wouldn't want to miss the cheap colour programme!). I can just stay in the pub all day if the game is off. It would make me think twice about going to the next game in Cork though.

Gerry Desmond
06/12/2001, 2:59 PM
I hadn't heard anything about it since Monday so I assumed that the game would be OK but now I'm not so sure. I'll head down anyway if I don't hear anything (wouldn't want to miss the cheap colour programme!). I can just stay in the pub all day if the game is off. It would make me think twice about going to the next game in Cork though.

You might remember this, Schumi?
About two years ago UCD came down on a beautiful September afternoon....then there was a biblical deluge about 30-40 and the game was off, just like that. Nobody could believe it! It just goes to show...
Anyway, I still think it'll be on Sunday.

Gerry

Schumi
06/12/2001, 3:11 PM
Last year's Super Six trip down was the first away game in Cork that I was at.

Gerry Desmond
06/12/2001, 3:15 PM
Last year's Super Six trip down was the first away game in Cork that I was at.

:confused: Super Six - wassat?

Gerry

James
06/12/2001, 3:17 PM
ah that would be the day UCD had six supporters at a game..hence the title of thier group..

bet Swanninio was glad ye came down that day ;) nice pics from the horseshoe afterwards

Schumi
06/12/2001, 3:22 PM
I just made that name up now as it happens. The best pic was the one on the team bus afterwards :D

http://www.ucd.ie/~soccsup/pictures.html :D :D

James
06/12/2001, 3:24 PM
yea thats the one..thought twas taken in the pub..great pic and fair play to Swanny for wearing the hat..

Schumi
06/12/2001, 3:31 PM
I don't think he had a lot of choice in the matter :)

Éanna
06/12/2001, 4:38 PM
Originally posted by pete

I'd be surprised if it wasn't raining in Cork! :eek:

You only realise how much it really rains in Cork once you move away from there!
HUH!Try living in limerick!

Éanna
06/12/2001, 4:40 PM

You might remember this, Schumi?
About two years ago UCD came down on a beautiful September afternoon....then there was a biblical deluge about 30-40 and the game was off, just like that. Nobody could believe it! It just goes to show...
Anyway, I still think it'll be on Sunday.

Gerry
Quite remarkable weather that day! Players were doing klinsmanns on the halfway line- napier & mooney(i think it was them) nearly went into the shed, total aquaplaning!

Gerry Desmond
06/12/2001, 4:42 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

HUH!Try living in limerick!

I thought Frank McCourt put everybody off that - I'm amazed you fell for it, Éanna! :D

You ever pop in to Jackman Park, BTW? Wassit like?

Gerry

Éanna
06/12/2001, 4:54 PM

I thought Frank McCourt put everybody off that - I'm amazed you fell for it, Éanna! :D

You ever pop in to Jackman Park, BTW? Wassit like?

Gerry
I know! I should have had more sense. No, it's fine apart from the weather!
Never been in there, but it's right beside the bus station, so i've seen it. It looks very very basic,but i imagine itcould be developed quite nicely if they wanted/needed to-not too likely though.

pete
06/12/2001, 5:13 PM
I thought Frank McCourt put everybody off that.....

Not that i'd be ever accused of diverting a thread but wasn't that the most depressing film ever???

:rolleyes:

James
06/12/2001, 5:22 PM
never actually saw the film..meant to but never got round to it..but thought the book was well written...
is the film worth seeing?