PDA

View Full Version : Swiss -v- Norn Ireland tomorrow

tiktok
17/08/2004, 2:11 PM
There's a piece below from www.breakingnews.ie, but I was just wondering if anybody was interested in this to have a peep at how the Swiss are looking after their Euro2004 exploits.
It's live on BBC1 NI from 7.00pm

:ball: :ball: :ball:

Sanchez believes North can win again
17/08/2004 - 13:51:43

Northern Ireland manager Lawrie Sanchez believes he has his players believing they can again win matches again – a far cry from the defeatist attitude of six months ago.

When Sanchez took over, following the record-breaking run for all the wrong reasons of former boss Sammy McIlroy, Northern Ireland were at their lowest ebb.

Northern Ireland had not won for 14 matches, and not scored for 13, resulting in the obvious question as to not only where the next win would come from, but the next goal.

Sanchez’s first game in charge in February at least addressed one of those issues as the team ended their goal drought, albeit in a 4-1 home defeat to Norway.

But since then, Northern Ireland have embarked on a five-match unbeaten streak, winning three and scoring seven, the team's best run for 16 years, admittedly against poor opposition.

Nevertheless Sanchez has raised confidence and believes they can continue their good form against Switzerland in Zurich tomorrow.

Sanchez said: “Everything’s buoyant at the moment. I’d like to go into the qualifiers six undefeated, but we know the Swiss are going to be a good test for us, although the result tomorrow is not the be all and end all.

“But everybody is excited about the campaign. Six months ago when I took over people were looking at it with a bit of apprehension.

“Confidence is a big thing in football and I think the players are getting it together and are believing they can win matches and no longer thinking they are going to go to places and get beat,” assessed Sanchez.

Following the summer tour of the Caribbean, six players have made way, with four added for the game with the Swiss, namely Crystal Palace midfielder Michael Hughes, Newcastle defender Aaron Hughes, Manchester United goalkeeper Roy Carroll and Sheffield Wednesday winger Chris Brunt, who is in line to make his debut.

eirebhoy
17/08/2004, 2:14 PM
I'll be taping this match. Do you know the Swizz squad?