PDA

View Full Version : Spain V Republic of Ireland - Thursday, 14th June 2012 - Euro 2012 Group C

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

passinginterest
14/06/2012, 10:24 AM
Let's get the party started. Won an Ireland jersey last night so I'm taking that as a good omen.

Latest Twitter rumour suggests Cox may start ahead of Doyle and Walters.

Ridiculous, baseless optimism is rising again.

Come on you boys in green. :clover:

seanfhear
14/06/2012, 10:28 AM
Why do I feel like I am inside the Alamo just waiting ! ! !

born2bwild
14/06/2012, 11:03 AM
Why do I feel like I am inside the Alamo just waiting ! ! !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DGa9xHGB0c
Let's hope Trap is "as cunning as a fox that's just been appointed professor of cunning at Oxford University". Somehow, I fear not.

Lionel Ritchie
14/06/2012, 11:09 AM
In the words of that horrible, horrible Bon Jovi dirge Keep the Faith ...erm ...Keep The Faith.
C’mon Ireland!
Hup de Groen!

DannyInvincible
14/06/2012, 11:56 AM
Trap has said we can expect one or two changes from the Croatia line-up. Any indication as to what time the starting line-up will be announced?

I'm really expecting the players to give this one a go. Anything else just isn't a possibility right now. Can't wait!

Wolfie
14/06/2012, 11:57 AM
I have decided to succumb to the delusional optimism that is the reserve of the Irish football fan.

Every minute that passes without a Spanish goal is a little victory. I intend to start at 90 minutes and work backwards.

Mission Impossible - bring it on!!!!

Real ale Madrid
14/06/2012, 12:03 PM
Leaving all the debate aside.

I've never wanted some sort of result so badly in my life for some reason. It's up there with the Derry City league decider at home back in 05. Sick with nerves. Please just let us be in with a shout next Monday night.

zero
14/06/2012, 12:04 PM
rumours abound that cox is starting with keane.

shakermaker1982
14/06/2012, 12:09 PM
Nerves kicking in now.

I really hope Kelly starts.

Noelys Guitar
14/06/2012, 12:12 PM
Michael Robinson has it down as Ali v a dwarf! Good old Robbo. He did say before the Ireland v England game 1988 that England would overun us and win 3-0. I'm not as nervous as I was on Sunday and I don't believe the Irish team will be either. No early goal giveaways. Make the Spanish work for everything. Get to half time without them scoring and work even harder to keep it that way. And then nick a late one from a corner or free kick. Use our football brains today even if the legs won't always agree. Maximise what we have and hope they start to crack. WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED. COME ON IRELAND.

Noelys Guitar
14/06/2012, 12:16 PM
The rumour mill is going Cox up front with Keane and Kelly in for Ward. Hmmm.

Real ale Madrid
14/06/2012, 12:25 PM
Cox ahead of Doyle, Walters and Long. Our odds of an upset must be getting longer.

shakermaker1982
14/06/2012, 12:28 PM
Cox has personality

irishultra
14/06/2012, 1:32 PM
Watching extended highlights the Confed cup semi final between US and Spain, I know its blatantly obvious but Altidore bullies the Spain back two, something Walters could've done tonight. Pique and Ramos relish playing against guys like Keane

Murfinator
14/06/2012, 1:44 PM
Kilbane reporting with some certainty that Cox will start with Keane, seems likely at this stage.

Murfinator
14/06/2012, 1:49 PM
Watching extended highlights the Confed cup semi final between US and Spain, I know its blatantly obvious but Altidore bullies the Spain back two, something Walters could've done tonight. Pique and Ramos relish playing against guys like Keane

And yet against Italy it was the 5'7 34 year old Di Natalie who tore them asunder when he came on. Cassano beat them up a bit but it was the clever positioning and guile of Di Natalie that was the killer. We can't outpace them, outskill them our outmuscle them, the only thing left to do is outthink them and Keane is the smartest forward we have, like Di Natalie for Italy.

Real ale Madrid
14/06/2012, 1:55 PM
the only thing left to do is outthink them and Keane is the smartest forward we have, .

I hope our other 4 strikers don't read that!

Wolfie
14/06/2012, 1:58 PM
And yet against Italy it was the 5'7 34 year old Di Natalie who tore them asunder when he came on. Cassano beat them up a bit but it was the clever positioning and guile of Di Natalie that was the killer. We can't outpace them, outskill them our outmuscle them, the only thing left to do is outthink them .........

In trying to make sense of Cox potentially starting, Trapp may have identified what's mentioned above and this may be prompting why Cox will start.??

Cox has a street wise streak - wasn't there a sneaky handball to gain advantage aganist Albania?? I think he tried to kick a shot out of the opposing keepers hands in another game?? He may fit a "compete by any means necessary" approach??

AlaskaFox
14/06/2012, 2:00 PM
Cox has personality

Cox has mentality. We watch him at West Brom. We watch. He is strong. We cannot change the system. Maybe in friendlies, we try Cox behind the striker, like Totti, but competitive games, it is important not to change.

redobit
14/06/2012, 2:01 PM
And yet against Italy it was the 5'7 34 year old Di Natalie who tore them asunder when he came on. Cassano beat them up a bit but it was the clever positioning and guile of Di Natalie that was the killer. We can't outpace them, outskill them our outmuscle them, the only thing left to do is outthink them and Keane is the smartest forward we have, like Di Natalie for Italy.

... and kick the living daylights out of them. Dosent matter what strikers we play cause if youre not in the game you cant win it. Play 6 in the middle like them and turn it into a war. They wont like it and if you sneek a goal, you sneek a goal.

Wolfie
14/06/2012, 2:09 PM
... and kick the living daylights out of them. Dosent matter what strikers we play cause if youre not in the game you cant win it. Play 6 in the middle like them and turn it into a war. They wont like it and if you sneek a goal, you sneek a goal.

Could work. You could call that the "Mick the Bull" approach to beating Spain.

"Ye line up 6 mad Irish Fella's against 6 Feckin Spanish Quares and ye bate the livin sh*te outta dem while singin Rebel songs at the top of their voice!!!"

SwanVsDalton
14/06/2012, 2:28 PM
The Cox start is a bit mystifying but we know he doesn't play Long/Keane together and Trap must see Walters as having better impact off the bench.

keenanboy
14/06/2012, 2:35 PM
Lads a bit off topic but does anyone know if we're in Green strip or White strip tonight? Cheers

Lionel Ritchie
14/06/2012, 2:43 PM
Lads a bit off topic but does anyone know if we're in Green strip or White strip tonight? Cheers

we're the nominal away side so we'll likely be in all white or maybe have green shorts

keenanboy
14/06/2012, 2:46 PM
Cheers for that. Pub time, my nerves have gone.

Carrigaline
14/06/2012, 2:50 PM
Cox has mentality. We watch him at West Brom. We watch. He is strong. We cannot change the system. Maybe in friendlies, we try Cox behind the striker, like Totti, but competitive games, it is important not to change.
Cox haz men-tal-it-eee.

elroy
14/06/2012, 3:22 PM
Nearly sure we are in green but could be wrong. I know it was meant to be white as we are away team but think we are still allowed wear green as no clash.

About to make my way to stadium now. Its been raining with the last hour, a very Irish day. Everything points to a Spain win and I'm going with hope rather than optimism. Last time i felt like this going to a game was before the playoff in paris and look at our performance that night! We need a lot of luck but I think we are due some after Sunday. I ask that we start well, keep it tight and get to half time at least nil nil. Let's be in this game right to the final whistle this time.

Great support out here and although there is a decent Spanish contingent, we vastly outnumber them and this will be like a home game support wise. Haven't heard about the suggested Cox change, would be surprised and prefer to see Walters but let's wait and see. Come on Ireland, let's get a point out of this game tonight and keep us in it for next Monday.

SkStu
14/06/2012, 3:26 PM
I heard a rumor that Trap likes Cox in the hole...

(well someone had to!)

tricky_colour
14/06/2012, 3:46 PM
Cox has personality

It's the European Championships, not Britain's Got Talent. :D

tricky_colour
14/06/2012, 3:54 PM
Do we have a player called Towell?

Apparently trap was overheard saying "I think we shoudl throw in the Towell" :D

Lionel Ritchie
14/06/2012, 4:26 PM
Nearly sure we are in green but could be wrong. . I thought that was the Italy game where again we're the nominal away team but for some reason we're gettin to wear green

gustavo
14/06/2012, 4:40 PM
Every inch of sanity and logic in me is saying we're going to get hammered but there's always that sliver of hope that I'm clinging to!

As Robbie says it's 11 v 11 for 90 minutes COYBIG

the bear
14/06/2012, 4:45 PM
cox will start through the middle but lean to the left

Fergie's Son
14/06/2012, 4:58 PM
Let's give it a proper go lads!

Philly
14/06/2012, 5:05 PM
I like how everybody is being realistic/borderline pessimistic. Usually we are all wrong in our pre-match sentiments, so maybe that means we are in for a great win!

The Cox thing is odd if true but I guess it's not the time for questioning things. COYBIG!

koneinc
14/06/2012, 5:06 PM
Can't wait for this game, stuck in work, just want to go to the pub now!

Irwin3
14/06/2012, 5:11 PM
Do we have a player called Towell?

Apparently trap was overheard saying "I think we shoudl throw in the Towell" :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Towell

NeverFeltBetter
14/06/2012, 5:59 PM
Torres starts?

AlaskaFox
14/06/2012, 6:18 PM
Given, O’Shea, St.Ledger, Dunne, Ward, Duff, Andrews, Whelan, McGeady, Cox and Keane
Casillas; Arbeloa, Ramos, Pique, Alba; Alonso, Busquets; Silva, Xavi, Iniesta; Torres

shakermaker1982
14/06/2012, 6:22 PM
Cox & Keane start. Does that mean we won't be lumping it long?

eekers
14/06/2012, 6:33 PM
As if we weren't all depressed enough, we get an idiotic lineup with Trap playing favourites as usual.
We have no chance.
Trap needs to watch our players actually play club games and not judge everything on how they play in a few training sessions.

Philly
14/06/2012, 6:43 PM
RTE just quoted Tardelli on their EURO2012 coverage as saying Cox will start in midfield and Keane will be a lone striker.

theworm2345
14/06/2012, 6:50 PM
Regardless of what happens can we all agree not to start and daft knee-jerk reaction threads this time?

micls
14/06/2012, 6:55 PM
Regardless of what happens can we all agree not to start and daft knee-jerk reaction threads this time?

Ah but where's the fun in that!

SkStu
14/06/2012, 6:56 PM
Cox in midfield? Oy vey...

Polster
14/06/2012, 7:03 PM
Keep the faith boys, I've no probs with Cox starting, technically better than the other three imo, may pick up a few free kicks.

the bear
14/06/2012, 7:04 PM
cox will be alright in mid field its keano on his own up top id be more concerned about.

ireland to win 2 -1

andrews and cox - iniesta

dancinpants
14/06/2012, 7:12 PM
Really think we're going to get tanked here. Such a mediocre side its unreal. :(

SkStu
14/06/2012, 7:14 PM
3-0 Spain

the bear
14/06/2012, 7:14 PM
no way dancy pants tonight we are world beaters