PDA

View Full Version : Development of the World Game in this Country Hindered?

legendz
12/06/2012, 1:29 PM
Is the development of the world game in this country hindered by the league structure? A reason why I've gone on so much about league structure is I think better structures need to be in place for the good of the game. If some more regions had club representation, the clubs should be used as the focal point for the development of the game within regions. Surely it'd be the way to work on developing talented football across the country for the good of the game as a whole?

kerrysock
18/06/2012, 12:36 PM
A complete load of nonsense in my view. Today Monaghan United have pulled out of the league of Ireland - a sad day for football in this country. You want to bring in more teams to the LOI in times when well established clubs are going out of existence. Reality check required - money is not there!

As I have said before FAI Licensing needs to become much more strict. A one division premier looks more and more likely now in my opinion before the FAI become a laughing stock with teams disappearing ever couple of months!

legendz
20/06/2012, 11:41 AM
Regionally I'd like to see more clubs involved in some capacity, does not necessarily have to be national.

OwlsFan
07/12/2014, 7:08 PM
One acronym: GAA. What hope has the game developing in Kerry, Kilkenny etc etc.? None. Soccer in Ireland has historically been a working class sport played in working class areas in the larger cities. I cannot never see, subject to the odd exception, the game developing beyond that.

BonnieShels
07/12/2014, 8:56 PM
It's not the GAA's fault that the FAI is inept at its job.

OwlsFan
09/02/2016, 6:03 PM
It's not the GAA's fault that the FAI is inept at its job.

The IFA and the WFA (whose top teams play in the English leagues) must also be inept as well. Irish football has always two huge probably insurmountable hurdles to try and deal with to develop the game here: the GAA (unique to us and to a lesser extent the Nordies) and English football, even more so since the advent of the Premiership. Even if we had the most wonderful FAI, I could never see us overcoming those hurdles but this has all been discussed before.

BonnieShels
16/02/2016, 4:58 PM
The IFA and the WFA (whose top teams play in the English leagues) must also be inept as well. Irish football has always two huge probably insurmountable hurdles to try and deal with to develop the game here: the GAA (unique to us and to a lesser extent the Nordies) and English football, even more so since the advent of the Premiership. Even if we had the most wonderful FAI, I could never see us overcoming those hurdles but this has all been discussed before.

I don't know what you are getting at here.

zander1983
29/06/2016, 8:52 AM

So we need to approach the problem another way e.g. build a centre of excellence.

Gather round
16/11/2017, 12:34 PM
Soccer in Ireland has historically been a working class sport played in working class areas in the larger cities. I cannot never see, subject to the odd exception, the game developing beyond that

Northern Ireland's recent success has largely been built around players who grew up in either villages (Davis, Healy, Baird, McAuley, McGinn) or country towns (Hughes), all well away from the cities.

ifk101
16/11/2017, 12:43 PM
Looking at those Milltown houses is blinding.