PDA

View Full Version : How depressed are you?

Pages : [1] 2

Crosby87
10/06/2012, 8:50 PM
How down are you after this loss to Croatia?

Did you wake up today feeling convinced that Ireland had a chance to get out of the group, and now are severly depressed and questioning your own sanity, or did you think it was just nice to be in the Tournament, and are going to have a snack now and then go to bed not feeling too bad? Or something in between? Are you embarrassed or is it just a game?
Personally, feel like i got kicked in the nuts.
Whats the scale of your depravity right now? I am curious.

cavan_fan
10/06/2012, 8:52 PM
We can do one of two things now, snipe and whinge and bicker (the Irish way!) or enjoy 2 games in a major tournament, something we havent had for ten years.

backstothewall
10/06/2012, 8:55 PM
No one expects us to do anything but lose 3 games. We've still got 2 games to prove them wrong.

Disappointed yes, but not depressed.

Irish_Praha
10/06/2012, 9:00 PM
No one expects us to do anything but lose 3 games. We've still got 2 games to prove them wrong.

Same for me. One of the favourites Holland also lost and still have to play against Germany and Portugal and they thought they were going to win the thing.
I reckon they are feeling more depressed that us but I'll have to ask when I go to work tomorrow (I work in Holland) :p
Although I do admit that they have a much better chance of turning things around.

rebelmusic
10/06/2012, 9:06 PM
I feel sunk...it's not the loss that bothers me at all...it's the lack of passion the lads showed. We've had a few games where Trap's system worked like the French game, or Bosnia for example. But it only works when all the lads play at their peak.
Bar Andrews, they all seemed scared of the ball and didnt show any passion as far as im concerned.
And now i get to go to bed with the knowledge that Trap will "fix" this by probably replacing Doyle with Paul Green!

koneinc
10/06/2012, 9:21 PM

too right, feck it, let's just give our all against the big boys and see what happens, no one gave us a snowballs chance in hell of getting out of this group.

Yard of Pace
10/06/2012, 9:31 PM
Depressed Trap has another two year contract. Has done fantastic but I think we've been found out tonight (finally) and we're starting to go backwards.

FarBeag
10/06/2012, 9:33 PM
Can't be depressed if what happened tonight is to be expected. Same old same old with Ireland and Croatia knew this. Spain and Italy won't sleep a wink with us on their agenda. No rise in the px of Prozac that's for sure.

koneinc
10/06/2012, 9:35 PM
Depressed Trap has another two year contract. Has done fantastic but I think we've been found out tonight (finally) and we're starting to go backwards.

Is there someone else you'd think would do a better job? just curious.

Jofspring
10/06/2012, 9:41 PM
I actually thought we fought hard and showed alot of heart. That will only get you so far though. We are the equivalent to a bottom english premier league team and were shown for it tonight. Class shines through, out played and tactically out thought, end of story.

elroy
10/06/2012, 9:47 PM
Yes, depressed now but remember that last I felt like this was croker after loss to France and look what came a few days after.

The disappointing facts were how poor the goals were that we conceded, very unlike us. And then at 3-1 we offered absolutely nothing. Our best play was at 1-0.

What will annoy me is all the bandwagoners in work tomorrow going on how ****e we are etc. The result will have taken a lot of the buzz and goodwill the build up had brought to the team.

Once we get over tonight and tomorrow, it'll be lift ur heads, we're in a euros Ffs. Italy win and a draw for us on Thurs and well it should be in our hands on last day! I'd take that right now

Yard of Pace
10/06/2012, 9:48 PM

Haven't thought about it hugely. I just think two campaigns is enough, the two Russia games and tonight were horrendous viewing, and unless he has some fresh ideas we won't be going to Brazil. When the passion and spirit isn't really there, when the players seem nervous and are making silly mistakes...I think it's time to go.

the bear
10/06/2012, 9:50 PM
upset that we lost.

depressed that we failed to create a single chance from open play or resemble a professional football team.

nervous after watching spain and italy play out a tachnically brilliant game of football.

proud to watch my country in a major finals for the first time since i was 16.

koneinc
10/06/2012, 9:59 PM
Haven't thought about it hugely. I just think two campaigns is enough, the two Russia games and tonight were horrendous viewing, and unless he has some fresh ideas we won't be going to Brazil. When the passion and spirit isn't really there, when the players seem nervous and are making silly mistakes...I think it's time to go.

I see where you're coming from and I agree completely re: Russia but let's be honest, we don't have the likes of O'Leary, Brady, Whelan, Keane, Finnan etc any more. We've done well to qualify, we have two games left in the group and who knows what will happen.

Come Sept/Oct we'll have a new campaign, in which i fully expect to see McClean, Coleman, Pilkington and the other young lads involved. If there is another manager out there that you think can mould these players into a strong team I would love to hear who but otherwise I'd give Trap a go.

boysingreen
10/06/2012, 10:01 PM
I'm dejected. We needed to hit the ground running. We didn't do that. Part of what really bothers me is that Bilic called us out before the game and he's had the last laugh so to speak (unless we can pull off something spectacular and beat them to the next round). I've been numb enough all day, even before the match started. Couldn't figure out emotionally how to respond to the occasion, and once we gave up our specialty early goal, it was all downhill (apart from the brief fight back to get the equalizer).

Honestly, it's hard to be positive after that. We gave up 3 goals in the last 14 matches, and managed to ship 3 goals today in 48 minutes. Such a day to go off the ball...

Ah well, keep the faith. Our team runs on hope, just the supply levels are quite low this day!

Metrostars
10/06/2012, 10:27 PM
Netherlands 88... We beat Italy in the first game in 94 and they got to the final... Come on lads!

Noelys Guitar
10/06/2012, 10:30 PM
If Westwood had have played today I don't believe they would have beaten us. I'm really surprised Trapatonni played Given knowing he was not 100% fit. For me it effected the entire defense with players playing one two's around our own box rather than passing the ball back to Given. We never looked comfortable at the back throughout the entire game. Thats the first change for Thursday. The second would be to play Long on his own up front against Spain and bring Gibson into a five man midfield. Spain will expect us to play with a target man like Doyle or Walters. Don't do it Trap.

mypost
10/06/2012, 11:07 PM

Found out me eye. This is the same team that played a 0-0 stalemate last August. They got every break going tonight, especially just before half time, also the third goal, and got a gift of a stonewall pen not given.

We didn't lose for 14 months. We lost a game, so be it. Even Holland lost this weekend.

We lost at home to Russia and still qualified. It's not over yet. It's more difficult of course, but we could get a result on Thursday when nobody expects us to, and then the group will go down to the wire.

Philly
10/06/2012, 11:10 PM
Found out me whole. This is the same team that played a 0-0 stalemate last August. They got every break going tonight, especially just before half time, also the third goal, and got a gift of a stonewall pen not given.

We didn't lose for 14 months. We lost a game, so be it. Even Holland lost this weekend.

We lost at home to Russia and still qualified. It's not over yet. It's more difficult of course, but we could get a result on Thursday when nobody expects us to, and then the group will go down to the wire.

We were found out because they played to our weakness (giving away the ball) and neutered out strength (counter attack). We really did not deserve a thing from that game... :/

Carrigaline
10/06/2012, 11:21 PM
I actually thought we fought hard and showed alot of heart.
I agree, I think the lads gave it everything. The problem is that the Croatians were really up for this as well. Yes, Croatia were technically superior, but their work-rate was incredible. They won lots of 50/50 tackles, they pressed high, they chased us down at every opportunity. Barring a miracle, we would never have won that game.

tricky_colour
10/06/2012, 11:24 PM
With competent officials Croatia would never have won.

Maroon 7
10/06/2012, 11:28 PM
Well we are where most people expected us to be. At the bottom of a very tough group. Qualifying from the group was always going to be a longshot. We all knew that.

Just disappointed that we picked the first game of the championships to start making uncharacteristic mistakes. Very unlike us under Trap to concede such soft goals. Shay doesn't seem right at all. I have never seen him go down so slow as he did for the first goal. Normally he would have thrown his hat on a not very powerful header like that.

Combine that with a few decisons that went against us such as the foul on Ward that caused him to slice his clearance for the second goal and the stonewall penalty on Robbie not given and it was a very frustrating evening's viewing. Croatia are better than us as it is but they also had all the luck going tonight. Maybe we used up all ours in Moscow.

Wish Trap would let the team play a little bit more though. We seem to play best when we go behind and if we draw level we retreat back into our shells again.

The Fly
11/06/2012, 2:25 AM
Whats the scale of your depravity right now? I am curious.

I'm not sure,.....but my girlfriend'll tell me in the morning no doubt.

BonnieShels
11/06/2012, 2:30 AM
I doubt know if any of the other lads that are in Poznan have posted but I'm gutted after tonight.
We were un characteristically poor in a lot of departments.

But I'm doing to concentrate on the positives as the officiating was atrocious.

Richard Dunne and the Saint were immense. Ward recovered well after his brainfart for the first goal. Josh was Josh.

Duff was great in the second half. Andrews was our MOTM. And in my eyes has achieved undroppable status.
Walters madman obvious difference when he came on. He has to start v Spain.

One thing I can't fathom is Cox on the wing? He was melodian.

Gutted but delighted I was there.

Come on you Boys in Green!!!

Spudulika
11/06/2012, 5:15 AM
Came home, tired, disappointed and had to endure a stream of text messages from gloating croatians, but since they'll never be anything but croatian and thus outside of civilization, I'm not too upset. But what was very annoying last night, and mabe someone else heard this, but ref whistles were blown at either end at crucial times. The Russian commentators picked up on this, it was clear for the 10,000+ crowd watching, and I can name at least 3 times when the whistle blew but it wasn't the ref. One was just as the Irish equaliser was headed in, another was the non "offside" - watch the players stop and look at the ref before anything happens, even the croatians. And the 3rd was at a corner in the 1st half and the players stopped en masse, but the ref didn't blow. So apart from some weak pussyfooting around by the ref at times, he and his crew were not so bad (penalty excepted) and when you have a team, croatia, who bring cheating and gamesmanship to a fine art, it's going to be tough. So depressed, no, homicidal, yes, if the gobsheens with the whistles have to be treated like anti-communists in 1945.

rebelmusic
11/06/2012, 6:31 AM
Ya the whistles were crazy, american commentators on my stream picked it up too. Really thought Sledges goal was going to flagges offside. Im not sure if it would have made much difference but it added to a night of suspect referee decisions.

passinginterest
11/06/2012, 8:03 AM
I had a dream I was being stalked by a mountain lion. Sums up how I feel.

seanfhear
11/06/2012, 8:30 AM
Croatia were the better team

S**T happens !

Anyway the Spanish are in the happenny place when it comes to running up debts re; per head of capita.

See ; we are better at them at some stuff .

Straightstory
11/06/2012, 9:50 AM
We were very lucky to get to the finals in the first place. Croatia victory was hardly unexpected. If (as is probable) Ireland lose all three games, it's not unlikely that Trap will resign. I would then expect a much more adventurous team to emerge based around more creative players like Coleman, McClean and McCarthy.

Murfinator
11/06/2012, 10:00 AM
I expected us to lose but never like that, never so utterly destroyed that Croatia could go into conservation mode with 30 minutes to go. Did the croats ever even get out of 1st gear? There's pride in losing a game against a decent team who played well, there's nothing in rolling over for a comfortable defeat, this won't have taken a lot out of the croats and thats sad.

Having watched all the other Euro games I have to admit that I felt somewhat embarrassed by what we showed last night, I'd long since told friends abroad that the Trap team were greater than the sum of their parts, that they'd see what I mean here. But that didn't show in the slightest, whatever about Group C we were worse than all the teams in Group A. We looked like we didn't deserve to be there, this being an unlucky side in a difficult group is nonsense, we'd have lost to anyone playing like that and lost quite comfortably.

I felt a few careers of many of my heroes died last night which makes it even sadder. That was not the Shay Given or Robbie Keane that I'd come to know.

legendz
11/06/2012, 10:32 AM
I'm disappointed. I will keep the faith though I know I'm hoping against hope. Roy Keane talked of the one big result. I want that on Thursday but I'm realistic on that and what the result probably will be.

nigel-harps1954
11/06/2012, 2:30 PM
Noticed the whistles myself too. In a packed bar of about 300 people, about 50 started celebrating Sledges goal, everyone else thought whistles had blown.

People simply have to be searched going into games. Missiles thrown at some matches, whistles blown at others. Security just has to be stepped up.

I'm not too disappointed or depressed. Half knew we were going to get nothing out of this group. Disappointment comes hand in hand with being a Harps fan so I guess I'm used to it.

Charlie Darwin
11/06/2012, 2:44 PM
I feel the same as I did after the loss to Russia. Haven't given up hope completely but we've gotten a sharp reality check. Sure Spain and Italy are both crap anyway.

NeverFeltBetter
11/06/2012, 3:00 PM
We looked like we didn't deserve to be there.

Exactly. This is what hurts more then anything.

mark12345
11/06/2012, 3:14 PM

No one can do a better job with the tools in this toolbox. Of the players we have only Keane, Duff and McGeady can hold the ball and make things happen in the opposition half. And the former pair have lost that yard or two you need for international football. You cannot make wine without grapes and we just don't have the grapes.

I do attribute some blame to Trap's players (ie the ones he's stood by like Whelan and Andrews and O'Shea and Ward). All gave it their all but four passengers in reality. He had options like Wilson, Foley or Coleman, Hoolahan). Anyway it doesn't really matter at this stage - we play a prehistoric brand of football that deserves exactly what it got yesterday.

irishultra
11/06/2012, 3:30 PM
The problem when your country has such low expectations is that nothing will ever change. If any other country lost 3 games in a row, serious changes would be thought of, we're just happy to qualify.....

boysingreen
11/06/2012, 5:05 PM
Another part that ****es me off is Croatia is the smallest country in the tournament; we're the second smallest. So we've managed to be manhandled (physically, technically, tactically) by the only team w/ a smaller talent pool, obliterating the "small country punching above our weight" angle that normally takes a bit of the edge off the pain. We're the oldest team in the tournament, where were the cool heads and composure that come with experience? Where the hell did this great belief in the camp go that we've been hearing about for weeks?

Charlie Darwin
11/06/2012, 5:37 PM
Another part that ****es me off is Croatia is the smallest country in the tournament; we're the second smallest. So we've managed to be manhandled (physically, technically, tactically) by the only team w/ a smaller talent pool, obliterating the "small country punching above our weight" angle that normally takes a bit of the edge off the pain.
Croatia may be a smaller country than us but they've always been much better at football than us. So any result would still be punching above our weight.

mark12345
11/06/2012, 6:44 PM
Croatia may be a smaller country than us but they've always been much better at football than us.

Just the obligatory rhetorical question, but why do you think that might be? Could it be because they actually coached their kids properly 15 or 20 years ago?

Charlie Darwin
11/06/2012, 6:58 PM
It's probably partly because their population actually gives a crap about Croatian football and thus the focus at grassroots level is to produce strong, technical players who can succeed in the domestic league and then filter out into stronger European leagues, rather than everything being focused on a neighbouring league that is fast and exciting but technically-deficient.

There are plenty of technically strong players coming out of Ireland - not as many as other countries - but they tend to get it coached out of them in order to improve their chances of succeeding in the agricultural leagues nextdoor.

mark12345
11/06/2012, 9:58 PM
[QUOTE=There are plenty of technically strong players coming out of Ireland - not as many as other countries - but they tend to get it coached out of them in order to improve their chances of succeeding in the agricultural leagues nextdoor.[/QUOTE]

Whether there are plenty of technically strong players or not in Iteland I don't know. I don't see them coming through. But I will agree that the English game does tend to coach it out of them. It's beginning to change in England with the influx of foreigners, and not before its time.

legendz
11/06/2012, 10:35 PM
Still disappointed but tend to look for sources of optimism. Before our kick-off in the tournament I had gear changes ranging from optimism to pessimism and unfortunately the pessimism view came to pass.
On sources of optimism, the team was being written after losing to France in Croke Park. We hadn't a chance we were being told nor did many expect but we had that heroic performance before being cruelly denied. A month prior to that, we put up a good showing against Italy and possibly should have won. Irish teams have had habits of delivering when not expected, they've done the opposite as well mind. It's a big ask for Thursday night, the task is huge as well as the amount of luck required. The S.Indo called it right that Spain would give opportunities to be attacked. Italy did that. Even when being trying to be optimistic, it's hard to see how we will attack Spain. Still though, with all the pessimism in mind, which is probably realism, I'll definitely be hoping for the best on Thursday and possibly a miracle. We've had nights where things have gone horribly wrong, more so that what happened against Croatia. Hopefully not on Thursday. Portugal away towards the end of Jack Charlton stands out as a bad night, Holland in the play-off went according to negative expectations. Spain away in qualifying stands out positively in some respects, the game in Lansdowne Road did not. Spain racing into a 3 goal lead that night. Better be none of that on Thursday.

Crosby87
11/06/2012, 10:40 PM
http://jalopnik.com/5917286/i-witnessed-a-crazy-subway-rescue-last-night

Close call for Irish fans in New York City. Why anyone no matter how drunk would fool around by the subway tracks is beyond me.

Jofspring
11/06/2012, 10:50 PM
Another part that ****es me off is Croatia is the smallest country in the tournament; we're the second smallest. So we've managed to be manhandled (physically, technically, tactically) by the only team w/ a smaller talent pool, obliterating the "small country punching above our weight" angle that normally takes a bit of the edge off the pain. We're the oldest team in the tournament, where were the cool heads and composure that come with experience? Where the hell did this great belief in the camp go that we've been hearing about for weeks?

I could be wrong but I don't think the Croatians have competition from sports as strongly followed and participated as GAA and Rugby. There are some seriously talented football stars in this country that when push comes to shove at a young age decide to go down the route of GAA or Rugby and also a large portion of footballers who get brought to England and get sent home after a few months or a year end up packing in football thinking they have missed their chance or will never make it.

The FAI does not protect or nurture talent in this country and depend too much on the English clubs to do it for them. Kids are now starting to be coached properly in Ireland at a much younger age but are still sent over to the UK with high hopes as soon as they hit 16 or 17. The quality players that have come through or are coming through for Ireland now are the ones that have done it the hard way, McClean, Coleman, Fahy, Ward, Doyle as a few examples and not to mention Hoolahan. The FAI will still refuse to acknowledge this though and will stick to what they have always done. The likes of Croatia on the other hand would not let this happen their players.

Until something is done to stop teams from the UK taking our best young players, using them and sending them home when they are surplus to requirements the sooner we will stop being forever reliant on a few hopefuls making the break through over there to supply our senior international team.

mypost
11/06/2012, 10:58 PM
Croatia and the rest of the Balkans have plenty of competition from other sports to football. Basketball, Tennis, Winter Sports, etc.

The difference in football is they have the facilities that we don't. As regards the general public though, crowds are not great, as Serie A is on their doorstep and followed like the EPL is here.

Still though, we played them when they were third in the world and beat them. The result last night was the first such result since injury time in 1999.

mark12345
12/06/2012, 3:14 PM
Still though, we played them when they were third in the world and beat them. The result last night was the first such result since injury time in 1999.

If you remember they had nine players and we had 11.

Aside from that, the point here is that Croatia have actually coached their kids to play the correct way. No John O'Shea's or Stephen Wards and even Richard Dunne, who just hoof the ball long at every opportunity.

We are all about playing the 100 mile an hour game in Ireland, slaves to the English model. As one poster said earlier, things are beginning to change as far as coaching the kids properly. The sooner the better.

mark12345
12/06/2012, 3:19 PM
The FAI does not protect or nurture talent in this country and depend too much on the English clubs to do it for them. Kids are now starting to be coached properly in Ireland at a much younger age but are still sent over to the UK with high hopes as soon as they hit 16 or 17. The quality players that have come through or are coming through for Ireland now are the ones that have done it the hard way, McClean, Coleman, Fahy, Ward, Doyle as a few examples and not to mention Hoolahan. The FAI will still refuse to acknowledge this though and will stick to what they have always done. The likes of Croatia on the other hand would not let this happen their players.

Until something is done to stop teams from the UK taking our best young players, using them and sending them home when they are surplus to requirements the sooner we will stop being forever reliant on a few hopefuls making the break through over there to supply our senior international team.

Interesting point. So having kept the kids home in Ireland, how do you distract their gaze from the bright lights of Premier League football. It's only natural for them to want to go there.

I agree totally that the English game has killed far too many Irish hopefuls, but until we can produce a bona fide league of our own then no one is going to want to play in front of a couple of hundred on a Sunday.

I would really like to see our promising young kids head to places like Holland, France and Belgium and if they're really good, Spain and Italy. But no one wants to take the first step in that direction. How can we change that?

Charlie Darwin
12/06/2012, 3:48 PM
If you remember they had nine players and we had 11.
We were 2-0 up long before they lost either player.

Jofspring
12/06/2012, 4:00 PM
Interesting point. So having kept the kids home in Ireland, how do you distract their gaze from the bright lights of Premier League football. It's only natural for them to want to go there.

I agree totally that the English game has killed far too many Irish hopefuls, but until we can produce a bona fide league of our own then no one is going to want to play in front of a couple of hundred on a Sunday.

I would really like to see our promising young kids head to places like Holland, France and Belgium and if they're really good, Spain and Italy. But no one wants to take the first step in that direction. How can we change that?
I
I agree it is very hard to keep the younger lads from heading off as it can possibly be a great chance over. Some kind of law or rule to protect young players and their families from making rash decisions needs to come in. What exactly that rule would be would probably require a much more detailed debate. The Spanish and Dutch etc... Have no use for the Irish players as they prefer to work on their own younger players. English teams I feel look at Ireland more as somewhere else they may pick up a few talented players and nothing more. I've say it many times and I stick by it, if it's between a 17 year old Irish lad and a 17 year old English lad of similar talent they are always going to hang onto the English lad and send the Irish lad packing, which for a young lad can be heartbreaking and very disheartening.

nigel-harps1954
12/06/2012, 4:55 PM

When's the last time you watched a league game?