PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Poznan

NeverFeltBetter
10/06/2012, 1:07 AM
There was some sort of altercation in Poznan, possibly involving local Polish fans, got worse, main square was cordoned off, riot police were called in. Croatian and Irish fans involved. Twitter reporting lots of arrests, violence. Anyone heard anything else?

tetsujin1979
10/06/2012, 1:34 AM
I was in the main square in Poznan tonight. The riot police were deployed simply because of the amount of people in the square. I saw one arrest, and spoke to one of the police who said there was zero trouble, but they were taking no chances.
There was easily two thousand in or around the main square, Irish and Croatian with Irish outnumbering the Cristine by about three to one.

NeverFeltBetter
10/06/2012, 1:45 AM
Mostly been going by feeds like @Garyred (https://twitter.com/#%21/garyred)

Spudulika
10/06/2012, 4:29 AM
While the Croatians would be friendly enough to the Irish, their fans are scum at the best of times. I wouldn't be surprised if they and some Polish scum organised a fight.

tetsujin1979
10/06/2012, 8:20 AM
While the Croatians would be friendly enough to the Irish, their fans are scum at the best of times. I wouldn't be surprised if they and some Polish scum organised a fight.
all the Croatian fans I spoke to all day were great people, I had no trouble from them whatsoever. It does appear some hooligans appeared on the main square, but I saw none of that. All day police were walking around, mingling with the fans but there wasn't a hint of trouble

Spudulika
10/06/2012, 10:36 AM
From the rumour mill it was a bunch of Lech hooligans who arrived on the scene to cause trouble. The croatian fans (or a good group of them) can be amazingly bad, but I'd reckon that the ones who can afford to be in Poland will be those with some money so the eejits will be kept well away.

NeverFeltBetter
10/06/2012, 11:40 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2012/06/10/3162748/police-arrest-14-as-fans-clash-ahead-of-croatia-v-ireland

14 arrested, I'm hearing three of them were Irish.

bennocelt
10/06/2012, 11:45 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2012/06/10/3162748/police-arrest-14-as-fans-clash-ahead-of-croatia-v-ireland

14 arrested, I'm hearing three of them were Irish.
high jinks?

Spudulika
10/06/2012, 1:45 PM
Supposedly arrested from a bar. 10 Poles, 1 Croatian make up the rest.

tricky_colour
10/06/2012, 2:16 PM
Well if sounds like mainly Poles and a few Irish getting drawn into it.
But if we matched the Poles with juts 3 men that a good sign.

Given the numbers involved it is to be expected there are a few arrests on a Saturday night of drinking.

Crosby87
10/06/2012, 2:21 PM
Is POSH's lack of posting a concern?

NeverFeltBetter
10/06/2012, 2:45 PM
The correct response (https://twitter.com/philyhall/status/211821360278806528/photo/1/large)

Fergie's Son
10/06/2012, 3:34 PM
I saw the flares and it was getting a bit aggressive. Still vast majority of the fans are alright.

Crosby87
10/06/2012, 4:36 PM
Rumor has it "The Irish 3" are POSH, Stutts, and BonnieShells. They have been taken to a labor camp like at the end of Swing Kids, and are going to have to navigate the joint like Edward James Olmos is "American Me."
Sweet surfing Moses.

BonnieShels
11/06/2012, 3:06 AM
I can confirm that myself and Stutts were in the clear.

Posh is screwed though. He attacked a copper with the manbag. Poor Paul.

In all seriousness though. I was in the main square last night til after 4am and I saw no trouble at all. I saw the cops but it was a case of better safe than sorry.

There was about a thousand if us Irish and Polish and Croatian chanting and jumping and screaming all night. Not an ounce of trouble I saw.

Even tonight there was nothing but craic and banter between the Irish and Croats.
I'm proud to be Irish tonight.

tetsujin1979
11/06/2012, 8:38 AM
There were riot police at all corners of the square after the game last night, but the only thing any of them had to do was pose for photos with Irish fans, including me!

After two hours of nothing at all happening, one of them near me started taking photos of his own!

francesco_1
11/06/2012, 7:29 PM
Saw no trouble and had a laugh with all the croatian fans, i seen the polish news tvn and and roit police hitting back some croatian supporters and one drunk Irish fan with a pint in his hand trying to restore order in the middle of both of them. There was trouble in wroclaw with the russians, TVN showed them kicking a volunteer in the head. I can see there being trouble in Warsaw when those two meet.

Closed Account 2
12/06/2012, 4:56 PM
I heard that an Irish fan was arrested for soiling himself in public, another fan was apparently carring twelve bottles of beer, having brought them, but dropped the lot and was arrested then released. This is what a Polish guy was translating from the news on tv at the airport the morning after the game. He said some Croatians were arrested, one of them escaped arrest (ran away while being held by police) and then the people who helped him (some Croatian some Polish) were also arrested.

Stuttgart88
12/06/2012, 5:47 PM
I was in bed by that stage. All the drink, listening to Bonnie talking incessantly for 17 hours and then the excitement of meeting Kevin Kilbane was just too much for my ageing head. Sure at one stage I even thought I saw a bishop or St. Patrick leading a sing song from the top of a lamppost.

the 12 th man
13/06/2012, 10:07 AM
Sure at one stage I even thought I saw a bishop or St. Patrick leading a sing song from the top of a lamppost.

Maybe it was Rabbai Williams?