PDA

View Full Version : National anthems

eoinh
16/08/2004, 6:35 PM
With the olympics in full swing and national anthems being played every few minutes, which countries have the best and worst anthems?

Dont judge it on what you think of the country itself but is it a stirring piece of music that if you were a citizen would make you proud!

The best for me is the German and American anthems.

The worst has to be the italian. :rolleyes: No wonder they lost the war :eek:

tiktok
16/08/2004, 7:57 PM
Best: French and German
Worst: South Africa (though I've not heard them all)

gustavo
16/08/2004, 8:14 PM
i dont know many anthems but of the ones i do know i like the french and american oness best

Closed Account 2
17/08/2004, 12:54 AM
^ totally agree, the Russian/Soviet Anthem is a wonderful piece of nostalgic historical flashback. Simply the best.

The German one is ok too, and the French on isnt bad. The English (British) one sounds c**p and is w**k (songs about an individual are usually **** poor but to cap it all that one is all about some ald German bint whos done sweet FA for her people).

Ours is ok, I remember one of the older generation in my family claiming it used to be "God Save Ireland" which to be honest I think is a slightly better one but I guess it wouldnt be politik to change to that now.

dortie
17/08/2004, 7:14 AM
God save the Queen has to be the most spine chilling old fashioned anthem in the world.

Would I be biased, certainly not. :D

slow2anger
17/08/2004, 7:42 AM
Best: Argentina

Worst: Canada

parnell ranger
17/08/2004, 8:34 AM
With the olympics in full swing and national anthems being played every few minutes, which countries have the best and worst anthems?

Dont judge it on what you think of the country itself but is it a stirring piece of music that if you were a citizen would make you proud!

The best for me is the German and American anthems.

The worst has to be the italian. :rolleyes: No wonder they lost the war :eek:

they didnt lose the war--they just changed sides before the end :)

an 'rock'
17/08/2004, 8:44 AM
best: mexican

worst: welsh (although technically a principality should sing god save the queen!)

Macy
17/08/2004, 8:48 AM
Best:
Scotland - Flower of Scotland (Although you could use Rocks arguements about it not being officially their anthem.)
French - Rousing and it reminds me of Eric.

Worst:
England/UK - A dirge. Need something more up tempo

Pauro 76
17/08/2004, 9:25 AM
BEST: Scotland, lived near Murrayfield when working near there last year, could hear the fans singing the anthem from a mile out!

WORST: God save the Queen. Isnt that Liechtenstein's anthem too?

Pat O' Banton
17/08/2004, 10:34 AM
In a lot of ways always thought that many National anthams do genuinely reflect the stereotypes of countries, God Save Mrs Battenburg; being one telling the 'British' people to know their place, the Irish and Scots having the underlying message of 'well we're going to lose but we'll fight you anyway.'
French one sounds like a nation that is self confident to the point of arrogant and as for Deutchland uber Alice (Germany over all) the less said about national stereotyping the better. :eek:
Actually fairly like the French, Welsh and Russian.

(Pauro your loction is spelt wrong - it should be Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaandan not Laaaaaaaaaaaaaadon ;) )

namloc
17/08/2004, 11:03 AM
Best: Brazil or Russia

Worst: UK

pete
17/08/2004, 12:13 PM
Can't remember half them.

French is best alright, kinda makes ya wanna join in...

Paraguay one is long (easil;y 5mins) & boring as played in u-20 per WC friendly at Richmond Park last year :eek:

joeSoap
17/08/2004, 1:28 PM
Best: Welsh....can't be beaten before a rugby international at the millennium stadium.Bring a tear to your eye....closely followed by Le Marseillaise.
Worst: God shave our Queen....

brendy_éire
17/08/2004, 2:17 PM
Worst:
England/UK - A dirge. Need something more up tempo

Aren't the English and British national anthems different?

Best: French, Italian is decent enough as well
Worst: Those really somber sounding ones a lot of eastern European countries seem to have, American, Australian.

dortie
17/08/2004, 2:22 PM
Aren't the English and British national anthems different?

Best: French, Italian is decent enough as well
Worst: Those really somber sounding ones a lot of eastern European countries seem to have, American, Australian.

The Welsh and Scottish have their own Anthem.
The comedians who aspire to Britain in the North :D have GSTQ (When Norn Ireland play England in the world cup qualifiers both teams will have the same anthem played... :rolleyes: )

Pauro 76
17/08/2004, 3:21 PM
(Pauro your loction is spelt wrong - it should be Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaandan not Laaaaaaaaaaaaaadon ;) )

Sorted mate innit... :)