PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2012: Watching from abroad

Serb
06/06/2012, 2:10 AM
I'm based in San Francisco for the next few weeks which has coincided with all of Ireland's group games in the Euros unfortunately (I'll be back for our remaining games in the quarters, semis and final though). I thought it would be nice to keep a thread just dedicated to streams for each game as they often get missed, especially now as the match threads are likely to be long and extremely active.

So, closer to the time, if people could post places to watch the games online in this thread, that would be great. I'll update this post with links so you won't have to scroll through to find them (although it's unlikely I'll be able to update for the Croatia game as I'll be up in Napa Valley on Sunday and Internet is unlikely).

I'm assuming that the RTE streams won't work in the USA?

Colbert Report
06/06/2012, 2:17 AM
Every match will be broadcast live on ESPN in the USA.

Diarmo
06/06/2012, 2:58 AM
I'm based in San Francisco for the next few weeks which has coincided with all of Ireland's group games in the Euros unfortunately (I'll be back for our remaining games in the quarters, semis and final though). I thought it would be nice to keep a thread just dedicated to streams for each game as they often get missed, especially now as the match threads are likely to be long and extremely active.

So, closer to the time, if people could post places to watch the games online in this thread, that would be great. I'll update this post with links so you won't have to scroll through to find them (although it's unlikely I'll be able to update for the Croatia game as I'll be up in Napa Valley on Sunday and Internet is unlikely).

Hey Serb, I'm based in San Francisco too. Abbey Tavern on Geary is pretty good for showing Ireland matches, as is Ireland's 32 out there also. Closer to downtown, I think Irish Bank shows matches pretty regularly, but I've never watched a match there.

theworm2345
06/06/2012, 4:07 AM
You'll need a proxy.

Every match will be broadcast live on ESPN in the USA.
Yes but ESPN coverage of football/soccer is complete pure, utter ****. The sad thing is its still actually better than it was 5-6 years ago (which was basically no improvement from the days of the '94 World Cup -- Roy Houghton with the chipper! -- though that was ABC I think its the same family of networks). Its usually Darke (who is a far cry from his Sky Sports self) and McManaman but I put on the Spanish commentators. They do actually get some decent people in the studio like Shaka Hislop but its always ruined by the token American clown like Lalas or Wynalda.

Colbert Report
06/06/2012, 4:42 AM
We get the English feed for commentary here in Canada, but half-time and pre-match talk from the likes of........wait for it.........Darren Anderton!

yablazer
06/06/2012, 12:01 PM
I'll be in Poznan for the Croatia game, Victoria B.C. Canada for the Spain game and Seattle, WA for the Italy game..... then Vegas hopefully for the Quarters! Anyone else around these parts?

geysir
06/06/2012, 12:12 PM
Is that Los Vegas, NV?

I'll be in heaven when we get to the final.

seanfhear
06/06/2012, 12:19 PM
I'll be in Poznan for the Croatia game, Victoria B.C. Canada for the Spain game and Seattle, WA for the Italy game..... then Vegas hopefully for the Quarters! Anyone else around these parts?Just make a deal that if you give yourself up to the authorities that they will arrange that you see all of Irelands matches.

It just too inconvenient to be on the run during the Euros. You can always escape afterwards.

brine3
06/06/2012, 5:12 PM
Even if you have a proxy, don't count on the RTE streams to work during the matches. RTE's streaming is fairly unreliable during big events.

mark12345
06/06/2012, 9:20 PM
Wynalda was a fantastic footballer and has brought that knowledge of the game to his commentary. He is quite insightful. Lalas was a bit of a big head as a player, at least he came across that way in his dealings with Frank Stapleton, but his commentary is spot on these days. What exactly are you looking for?

ArdeeBhoy
06/06/2012, 9:25 PM
Hey Serb, I'm based in San Francisco too. Abbey Tavern on Geary is pretty good for showing Ireland matches, as is Ireland's 32 out there also. Closer to downtown, I think Irish Bank shows matches pretty regularly, but I've never watched a match there.

The Chieftain Bar should also be showing....

The Legend
06/06/2012, 10:36 PM
There's Foley's on Union sq too, i think I'll head to the Abbey though.

tricky_colour
07/06/2012, 3:45 AM
I imagine a lot of places will be streaming the Euro 2012 game I'd be surprise if you didn't have
at least half a dozen to choose from, I had at least that many for the Bosnia friendly. The only issue might
be if they get pulled for copyright but I doubt that. Then it is just a question of getting the best quality.
I would imagine you should be able to get as good quality as the RTE stream (not that I have ever seen it).
I think I watched the Bosnia game at 600kbs, but there were higher available. I am just hoping my TV reception
is fine, it tends to play up in the Summer sometimes.

irishfan86
07/06/2012, 5:14 AM
No clue why you would seek out a stream when you can watch on TV. Familiar commentary a nice bonus but image quality/reliability surely the most important thing?

Fixer82
07/06/2012, 5:59 AM
Does anyone know if Foxtel in Oz will be showing the Ireland games?

gastric
07/06/2012, 8:45 AM
Does anyone know if Foxtel in Oz will be showing the Ireland games?

Setanta Australia has exclusive rights to all the games. SBS, one of the free to air channels will show some games.

Hibs4Ever
07/06/2012, 8:55 AM
ČT4 showing all the games here in Czech Rep. Will be watching the Irish games in my local sportbar in Vrsovice, Praha 10

Fixer82
07/06/2012, 3:08 PM
thanks man. I'll try find out are they showing the Croatia game so ;)

Serb
07/06/2012, 5:41 PM

I based right beside Union Square, so Foley's or the Irish Bank are good options for me. Cheers for that. Now to convince the guys here to let me out of work for a couple of hours to watch it.

Irish_Praha
07/06/2012, 5:57 PM
I based right beside Union Square, so Foley's or the Irish Bank are good options for me. Cheers for that. Now to convince the guys here to let me out of work for a couple of hours to watch it.

Funny I was in Frisco in January and Pat Bonner was in Foley's - just a piece of useless information :p

tricky_colour
07/06/2012, 7:18 PM
No clue why you would seek out a stream when you can watch on TV. Familiar commentary a nice bonus but image quality/reliability surely the most important thing?

I will be watching on TV, but I occasionally have some problems with interference on some channels
in the Summer (usually the non BBC ones ie ITV which is showing at least one game). I even had to put my
signal splitter up in the loft (where the aerial is) to act as a booster, but I can still get interference sometimes
(but not usually during the day). However I want to but it back where it was so I can record the game on my PC.
Obviously some people will not be able to watch on TV if they are abroad, or perhaps at work.

gastric
07/06/2012, 11:45 PM
thanks man. I'll try find out are they showing the Croatia game so ;)
Fixer, I should have mentioned (sorry) if you have Foxtel you can get Setanta over here as an additional channel for the duration of the tournament for about a maximum cost of about $20. Just ring Foxtel, thery can do it immediately over the phone and good value too!

MagicMon
08/06/2012, 12:44 AM
I'm in San Francisco during all the games- is Foleys or The Chieftan better? Which is closer to the BART station?

All of the games will be on the ESPN website for a week afterwards, so if you can avoid the scores during the day you can watch them during the evening (this will be a lifesaver for me)

BonnieShels
08/06/2012, 1:01 AM
I remember being in Oz in 2006. And after watching a friendly between the Socceroos and the Netherlands I decided I had to get home for the WC. There was no way I could watch the WC in Oz. Not a chance. I don't envy any of ye over there or even outside Europe this month. I know I could never do it.

Fixer82
08/06/2012, 2:44 AM
just got sorted. I'm an hour and a half outside Melbourne and the Motel owner is from Lancashire and he invited me to his gaff to watch the game at 4.45am. So happy I could whoop. Oh what the hell....Woooooooooohhhhoooooooooooo!!! COME ON IRELAND!!!

MagicMon
08/06/2012, 4:45 AM
I remember being in Oz in 2006. And after watching a friendly between the Socceroos and the Netherlands I decided I had to get home for the WC. There was no way I could watch the WC in Oz. Not a chance. I don't envy any of ye over there or even outside Europe this month. I know I could never do it.

Trust me its tough, but working with a German and soccerball-loving American is helping (as well as the ESPN website)

Fixer82
08/06/2012, 5:14 AM
Fixer, I should have mentioned (sorry) if you have Foxtel you can get Setanta over here as an additional channel for the duration of the tournament for about a maximum cost of about $20. Just ring Foxtel, thery can do it immediately over the phone and good value too!

There's one pub in the town and it doesnt have Foxtel. Luckily the Motel owner is from near Leeds and into his soccer and invited me in to his home to watch it. delighted. There is no indication that there is anything happening in Soccer over here. There's just no interest. Not that there should be. It's all Aussie Rules over here at the moment

gastric
08/06/2012, 10:28 PM

Bonnie, you're not wrong! My family (all females!) have no interest in Irish games, so I watch it alone. It's funny too that games from Europe are on here early morning, and instead of drinking beer, I find myself drinking copious cups of coffee! By the time the games are over I am as high as a kite!

bennocelt
08/06/2012, 10:53 PM
Bonnie, you're not wrong! My family (all females!) have no interest in Irish games, so I watch it alone. It's funny too that games from Europe are on here early morning, and instead of drinking beer, I find myself drinking copious cups of coffee! By the time the games are over I am as high as a kite!

I find that strange that that would make any diffference!!!:p
Anyway looks like its the Twelve Pins for the left behind in London Town, some said they will be bringing their bodhrans but Im not so sure if thats a good thing!!!

Diarmo
08/06/2012, 11:36 PM
I'm in San Francisco during all the games- is Foleys or The Chieftan better? Which is closer to the BART station?

All of the games will be on the ESPN website for a week afterwards, so if you can avoid the scores during the day you can watch them during the evening (this will be a lifesaver for me)

Foley's is probably better craic. Both places are pretty close to BART, especially Foley's is less than a 5 minute walk from Powell BART.

DannyInvincible
09/06/2012, 7:03 AM
Anyone recommend a good spot to watch the Croatia game in Manchester? O'Shea's and Mulligan's (both in the city centre) are options, although there are a few of us, so we may well just gather in someone's flat and watch it there together. Any time I've watched Ireland games in either of the aforementioned pubs, the atmosphere failed to live up to what I'd have expected at home; O'Shea's was completely empty for the Slovakia and Armenia qualifiers. Didn't really get going either for the away leg of the play-off in Estonia, unfortunately.

They do get RTÉ, mind, but it's impossible to focus on what's being discussed by the commentators/pundits when you're in a pub, and they turn over the analysis as soon as the game finishes anyway! Concentrating on analysis takes the punters' eyes and lips off their drinks, I suppose...

I don't know if the questionable atmospheric benefits outweigh the potential loss in ability to focus properly on the game. Surely the atmosphere would pick up for a major finals...

There's also St. Kent's Irish Social Club in Fallowfield and the Irish World Heritage Centre in Cheetham Hill which are both showing it but never been to either.

Noelys Guitar
09/06/2012, 3:18 PM
You'll need a proxy.

Yes but ESPN coverage of football/soccer is complete pure, utter ****. The sad thing is its still actually better than it was 5-6 years ago (which was basically no improvement from the days of the '94 World Cup -- Roy Houghton with the chipper! -- though that was ABC I think its the same family of networks). Its usually Darke (who is a far cry from his Sky Sports self) and McManaman but I put on the Spanish commentators. They do actually get some decent people in the studio like Shaka Hislop but its always ruined by the token American clown like Lalas or Wynalda.

I have put on the Spanish commentators as well. Darke turns into 1970's Dickie Davies and I just cannot stand McManaman. Lalas and especially Wynalda... no words in the English language can describe how bad they are.

SkStu
09/06/2012, 3:28 PM
McManaman is who we get for most of the CL games. What a tw@t!

The Legend
09/06/2012, 3:56 PM
I actually think "Macca" is funny... its that Jerry Fallwell looking guy hosting the Euros so far on ESPN that gives me the willies.

Noelys Guitar
09/06/2012, 7:43 PM
Have to say Lalas spot on with his predictions for todays games (so far). Picked Denmark and said Holland had peaked. Predicted draw for Germany v Portugal with Portugal being the better team.

The Legend
09/06/2012, 9:14 PM
so not really spot on at all then

SkStu
09/06/2012, 10:16 PM
Hehe :)

geysir
09/06/2012, 10:30 PM
If Noely wants to eat a helping of humble pie, why not allow him the whole pie?
I would.

Noelys Guitar
09/06/2012, 11:21 PM
Well I did say so far. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilAtHQ_lY8w

Noelys Guitar
10/06/2012, 2:22 AM
The carryon at ESPN today re the Ireland v Croatia match was A DISGRACE. They did not mention it once although they are carrying the game. All they carried was Bilic's idiotic statement about Ireland not being a top team. Spain v italy in 300 different ways. FFS. Complete disrespect. I hope we win 3-0/

MagicMon
10/06/2012, 4:27 AM
Foley's is probably better craic. Both places are pretty close to BART, especially Foley's is less than a 5 minute walk from Powell BART.The Chieftan opens at 10, so I think I'll head there for a breakfast and the last bit of Spain v Italy

Serb
10/06/2012, 5:49 AM
Used a proxy (Trinity Maths department, top quality connection) to watch the Russia -vs- Czech Republic game on RTE the other day and it was terrible. I imagine it would be much worse during an Ireland game, so not really a runner.