PDA

View Full Version : Radio 5 Live now - 90 mins of BIG talk

Stuttgart88
05/06/2012, 7:09 PM
An hour of Ireland under Big Jack. Then at 9pm to 9.30pm a preview of the BIG at Euro 2012.

Sorry to start a new thread, but best way to bring to everyone's attention.

IsMiseSean
05/06/2012, 7:25 PM
Ireland AM are having a Euros special tomorrow morning too.

Stuttgart88
05/06/2012, 7:35 PM
This is quality stuff. Aldo, Dave O'Dreary and Packie reminiscing about E88 and I90.

ArdeeBhoy
05/06/2012, 7:45 PM
And USA'94 coming up...

Colbert Report
05/06/2012, 8:00 PM
link? listen back service?

ArdeeBhoy
05/06/2012, 8:03 PM
On the highlights thread.

'Listen Again' via the BBC site also.

Macy
06/06/2012, 11:18 AM
It's also a "Football Daily" podcast.

geysir
06/06/2012, 11:59 AM
The podcast link was posted in another thread by TCM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/5lfd

Junior
06/06/2012, 12:46 PM
Playback link here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jhsbt/5_live_Sport_Jackies_Army/

Stuttgart88
06/06/2012, 12:58 PM
Loved the bit about them staying in a 3 star hotel with no air conditioning all the time they were in Sicily. I never knew that.

Bonner came across as a real gent, as always, but also as quite a wit. He says that when he met the Pope, JP2 told him he used to be a 'keeper himself. I remembered that bit alright. Anyway, at HT during the Italy game in Rome after Bonner had made a poor effort at saving the Donadoni shot that led to Italy's goal, Big Jack is supposed to have said to him "the Pope would have done better".

paul_oshea
06/06/2012, 1:12 PM
Its true though, and packie fecked up against holland again, often wondered if he was on the take, for making such obvious mistakes.

CraftyToePoke
06/06/2012, 1:16 PM
Its true though, and packie fecked up in holland again, often wondered if he was on the take, for making such obvious mistakes.

Controversial Paul, controversial.

geysir
06/06/2012, 1:30 PM
It's not true that Packie fecked up in Holland.

I thought Jack always blamed some incident that led to losing the ball in the Italian half, about 5 moves previous to the shot on goal.

paul_oshea
06/06/2012, 1:31 PM
Controversial Paul, controversial.

ah ok i didnt really mean that :)

Stuttgart88
06/06/2012, 1:43 PM
It's not true that Packie fecked up in Holland.

I thought Jack always blamed some incident that led to losing the ball in the Italian half, about 5 moves previous to the shot on goal.Aldo lost the ball cheaply (http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=pontius%20pilate%20pictures&gbv=2&gs_l=hp.1.0.0j0i5j0i8i30l2j0i22l2.985.10657.0.1511 0.22.14.0.8.8.0.172.1891.0j14.14.0...0.0.wCzb6tNWW GI&sa=X&oi=image_result_group)

Junior
06/06/2012, 1:56 PM
Brilliant listen - The hairs are standing on the back of my neck here - I am buzzing for this weekend now!!!!!

Some great stories as stutts has mentioned above.

Also...

-Aldo admitting to trying to knobble Hagi in the first half against Romania. Got a yellow should have been a red in his words
-The commentary on Roy Houghtons 'chipper' against Italy in the Giants stadium.

Loads of others too (I wont spoil it)...a must listen imo before the fun starts on Sunday night.

I am not O'Learys biggest fan and some of his comments are a little nauseating but to be fair to him he doesnt come across too bad at all (considering we know he has a little bit of an axe to grind with Jack about that period). He seems to remember it generally in the spirirt that we all do (or thats what I took from it anyway).

Aldo - is just like listening to your teammate from Sunday league football - brilliant, just one of lads who put his heart and soul in to it.

Packie a gent as always.

Link for the last half hour below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jhsdm/5_live_Sport_05_06_2012/

Macy
06/06/2012, 2:17 PM
I haven't finished it yet (that'll be the way home tonight), but the first half hour or so was very good. Impressed with O'Leary so far - honest about a couple of things which he probably could've got away with given the time that has passed.

Stuttgart88
06/06/2012, 2:32 PM
Yep, O'Leary looked back at it all quite fondly given he had every right to have a chip on his shoulder.

I got a lump in my throat listening to the commentary of the Timofte save.

I actually still remember wondering how PB went the right way for every kick despite going thr wrong way for all but 1 of aberdeen's in the SFA Cup Final a month earlier. Amazing the stupid things one remember through life, though I don't recall Aldo's hack at Hagi.

seanfhear
06/06/2012, 6:21 PM
Fair dues to Packie Bonnar for giving credit to Gerry Peyton for helping him with analysis on the penalties.

Stuttgart88
06/06/2012, 7:35 PM
I thought it was amazing that Davy Langan tweeted the show just to say hi to the lads.

shakermaker1982
06/06/2012, 9:14 PM
Listening to this now. Brilliant.

French Toasht
06/06/2012, 9:18 PM
Thats brilliant. Absolutely got me in the mood!

Funny they didn't mention the story about Aldo putting a piece of feaces under Dave O'Leary's bed!

geysir
07/06/2012, 8:36 AM
I am not O'Learys biggest fan and some of his comments are a little nauseating but to be fair to him he doesnt come across too bad at all (considering we know he has a little bit of an axe to grind with Jack about that period). He seems to remember it generally in the spirirt that we all do (or thats what I took from it anyway).

I thought O'Leary came across as he usually does. He kept mentioning the issues he had with Jack, in that he had no issues now, so why bother even mentioning 'issues' :confused: and to an audience who haven't a clue or care about those things. Instead he focussed his whiney moans at Trap's current management.

I hadn't thought about, until listening that program, that Aldo was not on the pitch to take a penalty in the shoot out. Has anyone ever thought that spending a day sitting on bench in a church, was not exactly the best preparation on the lead up to a WC qf?

Macy
07/06/2012, 8:48 AM
I think that's a bit harsh on O'Leary - I thought he came across well, and personally didn't think he was over the top mentioning the issues. Also thought it was fair enough comment on Trap regarding the squad/ team annoucement tbh too.

Whatever about sitting on the bench, if they went in with the attitude that Aldridge was saying in the show about the referee and knowing they'd get nothing, they never really stood a chance.

Great programme/ podcast. It'll be saved to a safe place for future reference. Fair play to the BBC and Chappers as it never descended into the condescending crap that some of the UK TV and Radio did at the time. I thought all three ex players came across very well to be honest, and it gave a good insight at this remove. Never had a problem with Aldridge and Bonner, but wouldn't have been O'Learys biggest fan, but I do think he came across well.

geysir
07/06/2012, 8:59 AM
Yeah but that's Dave, insinuations and moans. Whether his comment about Trap's management was fair comment or not, is not the point, O'Leary only expressed his moans and it was not appropriate (at least to my ears).
The same gripes could be said against most managers, including Jack.

paul_oshea
07/06/2012, 9:21 AM
I'd agree with Macy, I thought Dave for once came across less bitter than usual, he said from the outset that Jack had his own way of doing things and "that was Jack", no reference to I didnt like him or we didnt get on etc, he was a lot less selfish in this podcast. He is usually a bit of a me feiner even when reminiscing.

The Italy thing got me really, it felt like they were in the completely wrong mindset going into the game, and that they knew this was their exit. Not the right attitude at all, unless of course thinking it doesn't mean you let it interfere with your preparation or how you go about the game, but I didn't get that feeling from them.

geysir
07/06/2012, 10:21 AM
You could say that whatever mindset they had before the game, v Italy, in Rome, in a WCqf, the chips were firmly thrown into Italy's favour by the ref, an uphill game became a cliff climb.

Stuttgart88
07/06/2012, 10:27 AM
I'll never forget Mick McCarthy's utter exasperation with the ref for blowing ANY time he and Kevin Moran went up for a high ball. Moran even got penalised for a push when he jumped with his hands behind his back to avoid giving away a free.

geysir
07/06/2012, 10:52 AM
What did you make of Packie's reference to the ref -'do you know where he was from, he was from Uruguay' then said no more.

Stuttgart88
07/06/2012, 10:57 AM
I didn't pick up on that.

geysir
07/06/2012, 11:01 AM
It was part of the discussion on the ref, mainly by Packie.
But it may be pertinent to say at this stage that before I listened to the podcast I had my 5 yearly ear cleaning service done, where a father Jack sized lump of congealed wax was removed from each ear.

paul_oshea
07/06/2012, 11:02 AM
I did, I was wondering what that meant, I think the others were wondering the same, and i think packie thought it had reference, but in the end realised that it had no real relevance to the point at hand.

geysir
07/06/2012, 11:09 AM
Everything has some significance. I do accept that some Donegal people tend to blurt out stuff before thinking :)
He had something to say by way of explaining the ref's bias, but possibly thought better of it or thought that it didn't need more explanation.

geysir
07/06/2012, 11:19 AM
If you have the podcast it starts just before the 55 min mark

Aldo " we knew the ref would give us nothing, he didn't let us down there, he gave us one decision in the 90 minutes"
Packie, "do you know where the ref was from?"
Aldo "Spain?"
Packie " No, he was from Uruguay, South American".

Maybe Packie is just a trivia buff addict and can't help himself butting in with a useless piece of trivia, but I have my doubts there.

Stuttgart88
07/06/2012, 11:22 AM
I think he was just saying that them south americans tend to punish a more physical approach and prefer a more latin approach to the game. I'm notoriously naive though.

geysir
07/06/2012, 11:37 AM
I thought you would be well up for a good conspiracy?