PDA

View Full Version : The game on TV3 !!

A face
16/08/2004, 1:05 AM
How did it look ? Was it a good advert for the league ? How could it have been improved ?

tiktok
16/08/2004, 7:47 AM
METAPHOR OF THE WEEK

Hats off to Damien Richardson for telling us that Cork City's long hopeful balls into the heart of Shelbourne's defence would not simply prove to be meat and drink, as is so often the case.

Instead Rico reckoned that "straight balls like that will be…

"…like cakes to a bear."

Magic.

dortie
16/08/2004, 9:17 AM
As I despise $hels I was actually hoping you ******s would win.
Thought it was an average enough game, both sides had their fare share of possession, $hels took the goal well right enough, looked good on tv.
Thought the crowd was pretty good, actually heard quite a few familiar chants/songs by the Cork fans that we use....liked the 'Juda$' chant towards Ollie Cahill. Was actually very shocked to see $hels with 20 or so supporters.

Overall it looked ok, Cork have the same problem as us though, your main stand is never seen due to the camera being on the other side of the ground, for tv purposes it would be better to have the cameras facing your main seating stand.

ShelsTim
16/08/2004, 5:25 PM
Your ground's a ****hole too dortie, which doesn't help and there's no need to worry about how the Brandywell looks on TV, they only show decent teams on TV.

The game was a better advert for the eL than the first series of premiership games have been for that league, but it still wasn't the greatest game. Having said that, boths teams played progressive, passing, attacking football, just the technical elements were sometimes lacking.

dortie
16/08/2004, 6:05 PM
Your ground's a ****hole too dortie, which doesn't help and there's no need to worry about how the Brandywell looks on TV, they only show decent teams on TV.

Our grounds not the best at the minute, but in comparison to the majority of EL grounds its no worse.

Yep, youve a decent team cause your mentalist chairman made a serious gamble (And it pay'd off) considering the income you generate from gates Im surprised $hels ever managed to purchase water bottles.

You've got a good team now, you should hope european success holds out because the arse is going to fall out of your club one of these days. But at least it wont effect too many people ;)

pineapple stu
16/08/2004, 6:07 PM
There's no need to worry about how the Brandywell looks on TV, they only show decent teams on TV.

Weren't Derry on TV only last November? :rolleyes:

Thought it was a shocking game myself - didn't see all of it, but was a hell of a come down from the Depor and Hajduk games! Yer man Murphy (or Murray? Left-back for Cork) was brutal - whenever he got the ball, he just hoofed forward; true eL stereotype... :mad:

Slash/ED
16/08/2004, 6:19 PM
I thought it wasn't exciting but there was good football played by both sides who tried to pass it most of the time, and the goal was real quality. It was as good a game as the televised premiership matches this season anyway, they've all been fairly poor so I think the neutruls who watched it would have been relatively impressed, it wouldn't put them off the league or anything anyway.

ShelsTim
16/08/2004, 6:32 PM
Our grounds not the best at the minute, but in comparison to the majority of EL grounds its no worse.

Yep, youve a decent team cause your mentalist chairman made a serious gamble (And it pay'd off) considering the income you generate from gates Im surprised $hels ever managed to purchase water bottles.

You've got a good team now, you should hope european success holds out because the arse is going to fall out of your club one of these days. But at least it wont effect too many people ;)

Yeah, he made a gamble and it paid off, that's what business is. We generate the same amount of income from gates as most eL clubs,we just happen to have a professional set-up who know what they're about and know how to make money. Shelbourne has been a club since 1895, the arse isn't going to fall out of us for a long time, I'd look a bit more closer to home for that if I was you. How much can your ground hold now? Where are you in the league?

dortie
16/08/2004, 8:18 PM
How much can your ground hold now? Where are you in the league?

Can hold about 3 times your average home gate. It is unfortunate for us though as we can pull big crowds when we are performing well.

We are 7th in the league....getting back up there though.

De Town
16/08/2004, 8:23 PM
How did it look ? Was it a good advert for the league ? How could it have been improved ?

1. Didnt look to good with a lot of empty seats.

2. Wasnt a great advert for the league as there was very little good football played.

3. Better quality of football from both teams.

No taking the pi$$ but TV3 would have been better showing our game with Pats. There was good quality football with both teams going at eachother, ene to end sort of stuff.

Dr.Nightdub
16/08/2004, 8:23 PM
Overall it looked ok, Cork have the same problem as us though, your main stand is never seen due to the camera being on the other side of the ground, for tv purposes it would be better to have the cameras facing your main seating stand.

When RTE used to show live games from Turners Cross, the camera was on the Derrynane side - e.g. Cork v Pats in Jan. 1999. Dunno how they did it, maybe a truck with one of those crow's nest jobs on top? Certainly looked better as the camera was pointing at the stand.

I only saw the second half but it looked like Shels cruised it. The goal was a peach, Ndo never even looked around, just laid it off to where he reckoned the voice behind him would be in five seconds' time.

Cork looked fairly clueless and it was noticeable how much emptier the St. Annes End was at the end compared to just after half time. I know every club has quitters who leave before the end when they're getting beaten but this was a wholesale evacuation.

ShelsTim
17/08/2004, 11:04 PM
Can hold about 3 times your average home gate. It is unfortunate for us though as we can pull big crowds when we are performing well.

We are 7th in the league....getting back up there though.

Your going nowhere, you're just lucky Pats have gone tits-up. I wouldn't go bragging about fans, it's not like you get 60,000 a week so you can lose to Drogheda.

Re: the game. Don't think the empty seats were that prominent, every game has a few empty seats and the derrynane end + shed end were full, plus you could hear plenty of singing and drums. Football was alot better and more exciting than the Aston Villa v Southampton game on Setanta. And in fairness, it was preety close, don't think there was more than 5 chances in the whole game, if that.