PDA

View Full Version : Current standard of the PD

adamd164
03/06/2012, 11:08 AM
So far this season in the Premier (with the exception probably of Sligo) there has been a noticeable tendency that clubs are all capable of taking points off each other. It was very obvious the past few weeks particularly, when the majority of favourites in matches were beaten or held.

There's currently just 4 points between 2nd place and 6th.

What is the general impression of the standard - is it poor across the board now or is it a generally high standard and competitive? I suppose the European games will be the ultimate litmus test of this, but I'm curious to get opinions on people's own teams and the opposition they've seen.

freewheel30
03/06/2012, 3:51 PM
Seems to be more teams than usual playing "passing football" anyway. Only Shels and Bray seem to have more direct styles right now. Televised game the other night was excellent as well, the second half especially.

I think the standard is still good. Rovers' European exploits and the ex-LOI players doing well in UK leagues is keeping players motivated to perform imo.

Drogheda's winner from other night has been youtubed actually (I think it's better watched with the sound down). Dundalk's pitch is going to get stick but that's three or four very good "team goals" that have been scored on it this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsdiXE89FZM

adamd164
03/06/2012, 3:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsdiXE89FZM
If only McCaffrey's interview had been done 10 seconds later! :p "We can go on and win the ga...."

freewheel30
03/06/2012, 3:59 PM
Thought Canning was worse :eek: The only one who ended up losing the concentration was him :D

peadar1987
03/06/2012, 4:17 PM
From the very limited amount I've seen this season, I'd say Bray are probably better than the Monaghan playoff year, but worse than any other point over the last four or five years. Although there's the complicating factor of Jayo making us a lot more effective, as opposed to previous seasons when we were playing very pretty stuff and looking ineffective.

MeathDrog
03/06/2012, 5:36 PM
Standard has dipped overall but not by much since last season.

PartySaint
03/06/2012, 8:20 PM
Some teams are better than last season some teams are worse

Most teams seem to be good at playing a passing game tho, Mons didn't offer much on Friday but the other teams that are near the bottom are all capable of playing some nice ball. UCD Dundalk and Bohs are 3 young teams but pass it around well. Shels are a bit more direct, Bray are a fatalistic counter attacking side and always look capable of scoring when they have the ball. Cork are coming into it now, and again were are another team who knock the all around well. From what I've seen of Derry they don't seem to be up to much. Drogs another good passing side. Rovers worse than last year but still capable of scoring loads. Pats are a out and out ball on the deck tippy tappa team and Sligo are another good passing side

The standard mightn't be as good as it was a few years ago but it's entertaining

Dalymountrower
03/06/2012, 8:48 PM
Pats are a out and out ball on the deck tippy tappa team

I`ve no idea what that means.but the rest of your post is fair enough.

PartySaint
03/06/2012, 9:14 PM
Pats are a out and out ball on the deck tippy tappa team

I`ve no idea what that means.but the rest of your post is fair enough.

It means at times we play too many short passes usually in midfield that end up going nowhere. we were a bit more direct on Friday night which helped us

outspoken
03/06/2012, 11:36 PM
Obviously Im not a premier division member :( (next season with the help of God) and while 2-2 min highlights on MNS may not be enough to get a proper idea of the standard I have noticed there is far more passing football being played and there has been some cracking goals and some cracking games so I'd be very happy right now....As said above Europe will be the acid test and if anyone is going to qualify itl be Sligo.

Dodge
04/06/2012, 9:02 AM
Same as it always is; ****e in world terms. Way better than most give it credit for though

Europe isn't the be all and end all. A frankly awful Pats side won 2 rounds in 2009.

Spudulika
04/06/2012, 9:08 AM
From what I've seen (4 live matches, 5 on tv, MNS) have to admit with being generally impressed by what is on offer. Drogheda play some lovely football at times, same last season. Some of their interplay goes beyond the quality of the players and more onto the quality of the coaching, so well done Mick! Rovers have been depressingly poor in many circumstances, they show little quality at times and need to wake up. Plus some of their tactics are unchanged from the MON days, but less successful. Sligo seem to get by and are not playing sparkling football, Pats play nice football but don't seem to finish as well as they should. Monaghan are Monaghan, they give a god fighting effort so that's ok. UCD play lovely football but need a couple of tough experienced pro's (which they'll never get) to bolster the midfield and defence. Dundalk are physically weak but can put on a show like last Friday. Bohs are frustrating, solid, decent but without a real bite up front. Cork (only seen highlights) are due a good run and I like how the supporters and club seem to be unified.

Overall I've found, this season, the LOI short on real individual sparkle, but team play and skill seems to be better. Maybe it's that with higher unemployment players are virtually full-time as fitness levels are more impressive. Bodes well for Europe, though i can't see any group stages this year.

citybone
04/06/2012, 10:16 AM
Shamrocks are worse, Mons drag the standard of the league down, but i think they would have beaten last years Galway side, Drogs made a huge improvement, Cork City have made a small improvement but it took ages to get into out stride, Shels are slightly better too, Sligo are about the same, just the teams challenging them last year have dropped off a bit. Derry are worse than last year. Pats i think have improved, Dundalk are worse but play ok when there heads are up, but it doesn't take much to knock them. Bray are improved by largely due to Jason Byrne, Bohs are worse than last year but still try to play football.
I would say the overall standard is about the same as last year, Cork and Shels coming up has helped the standard and Galway not footing the table up helps too, but some teams have gotten worse such as Derry, Shamrocks and Bohs.

oriel
04/06/2012, 6:06 PM
I think a lot of fans will sometimes judge the standard based on their own teams performances/results. If things are not going great, they will usually look at the league and think 'its not a great standard this year' so in our case, as 'we are not great' this year, you would be tempted to say, maybe the overall standard has also gone down, but I dont think it has, I think its about the same, with the big difference being, a lot of teams have got closer in ability. We beat Pats & Derry away, but lost at home to the likes of Mons & Drogs, so no consistency.

I think Sligo will win the league, Rovers will give them a good run, but I think its Sligo's year, as for 3rd spot? Anyone putting a run in will have a good chance, same for 4th. Another change this year, is teams in mid table do look a bit stronger this year.

Relegation & Play off? well unless our results improve and quickly, we wont be far off the play off, possibly even relegation, but for some mad reason, I think we will be ok. I dont know why !

dfx-
04/06/2012, 6:24 PM
It's suiting a lot of teams to be away from home, the standard is a lot more conservative. Mons win at Dundalk, Sligo and Bohs, Dundalk win at Derry and Pats, Bohs win at Shels, Shels win at Derry, Cork win at Shels.

Teams are not being suited to being at home and having to force the issue perhaps with less attacking talent and creativity in the league.

nigel-harps1954
04/06/2012, 9:05 PM
Can't see much of the same European exploits of last season unless Pat's and Sligo get favourable draws. Cannot see Shamrock Rovers getting through one round unless the backline is sorted out and a goalkeeper is got.

Looking like the most likely team to progress this year is Sligo in my opinion.

PartySaint
04/06/2012, 9:16 PM
Looking like the most likely team to progress this year is Sligo in my opinion.

Do you mean that as in get through 1 round? Pats and Bohs both seeded in the first round. Pats seeded in the second whereas Sligo aren't

marinobohs
05/06/2012, 12:04 PM
Think the individual standard of player in the League is down this season (and was down last season on previous years) but more teams are playing decent football. I also think this is a very positive factor as style of football is more important than players (and more lasting) although I would have a concern that as clubs have less/no money to spend the condition of pitches may deteriorate 'encouraging' players to a more route one approach.

nigel-harps1954
05/06/2012, 12:50 PM
Do you mean that as in get through 1 round? Pats and Bohs both seeded in the first round. Pats seeded in the second whereas Sligo aren't

Not at all, Pat's have a great European record and I fully expect that to continue this season. What I meant was Sligo in my opinion are most likely to make any sort of breakthrough.

Sam_Heggy
05/06/2012, 6:28 PM
For the record, the first division is probably as bad as it's ever been. We've been poor (worst Harps side in recent memory), Waterford are a patch of the side they used to be, Salthill are worse than Kilkenny were, Mervue not much better.
Limerick and Longford are running away with it and neither are as good as some sides to have come out of this graveyard in recent times. The UCD side in 09 was a great side, Derry, Cork, Monaghan, Waterford in 2010 were better sides too.

On the other hand, if we were top, it would be the best standard it's ever been and only Barca/Real Madrid would come close to Limerick/Longford in footballing terms.

citybone
06/06/2012, 9:46 PM
I dont think Sligo will make a "Breakthrough" this summer, Being unseeded will hamper them a lot.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
07/06/2012, 7:01 AM
I dont think Sligo will make a "Breakthrough" this summer, Being unseeded will hamper them a lot.

I don't think we're good enough to either

Fivesilver
07/06/2012, 9:28 PM
I know it'll upset the coefficient watchers, but if we can push on and win the league I couldn't give a toss about how we do in Europe. Shams, Pats and Derry fans, you've all seen your teams become champions in the years since I made my Holy Communion, so forgive me for being a bit single-focussed.