PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the line?

tippman
15/08/2004, 1:30 PM
Last night at city and shels they frisked everyone and took bottle caps off people going in and at the shops inside the ground too.
There was also about 20 stewards to 20 shels fans.
Ive never seen anything like that at any ground in any sport :confused:

De Town
15/08/2004, 1:35 PM
the last time Rovers were down at our place i went to the shop at half time, got a bottle of Lucazade and the cap was taken off it before i got it.

tippman
15/08/2004, 1:38 PM
i wonder is it common practice at Turners Cross?
great atmosphere though

Corner NO1
15/08/2004, 1:44 PM
Ya they have been doin that since da rovers game...

Ruairi
15/08/2004, 1:48 PM
It's so that if a bottle gets thrown, the liquid will fall out, resulting in the bottle losing momentum and failing to hit its intended target

De Town
15/08/2004, 1:50 PM
It's so that if a bottle gets thrown, the liquid will fall out, resulting in the bottle losing momentum and failing to hit its intended target

Suppose its a good idea.

thecorner
15/08/2004, 1:55 PM
it is supposed to be common practice in all grounds

adamcarr
15/08/2004, 2:04 PM
Id rather if they didnt do it cause if ya buy a drink at HT. Then ya have to drink it before the second half starts! But then it has it up oints when ******* like Ollie Cahill celebrate goals in front of the shed, and all the scumbags throw bottles but cant hit him! :( ;)

brendy_éire
15/08/2004, 2:20 PM
Definitely crossing the line, no need for it.
Besides, if someone wants to throw something, ye can't stop them. Take their bottle tops of them and they'll just throw something else (coins, chocolate bars, etc).

Nothing like that in the Brandy, though the stewards will have a look in any bags you're bringing in.

Storysham
15/08/2004, 4:07 PM
I got searched for having a programme in my inside jacket pocket. Girl in front of me had her handbag rooted through.
Shouldnt really be complaining, its for the good of the club creating a safer environment for everybody.

tippman
15/08/2004, 4:23 PM
do they sell cans at Turners Cross, personally id rather get hit with a bottle than a can, or not at all.

on a lighter note kevin doyle should have played out on the right for cork and georgeie shoud have been up front, the result may have been different then

Éanna
15/08/2004, 6:11 PM
i wonder is it common practice at Turners Cross?
great atmosphere though
atmosphere was brutal IMO. Its perfectly reasonable to take bottle caps off. we've had enough little scumbags throwing things in the past- thats a good deterrent

Gary
15/08/2004, 6:57 PM
I thought there was a very good athmosphere up to when Shels scored????

Even sections of the Derrynane and Donie Forde got going.

adamcarr
15/08/2004, 9:20 PM
I thought there was a very good athmosphere up to when Shels scored????

At the start of the second half, the atmosphere was shocking!

Fair_play_boy
15/08/2004, 10:57 PM
The atmospehere was poor but what more do you expect when people left their premiership barstools at 4.50 and just sat back to watch the game. A woeful time to play a football match. God TV3 put some thought into that. My moto is if they aint going to do it properly then don't do it at all....play the game at 7pm or even on the Friday....fcuk the soaps.
That game more than likely lost barstoolers yesterday rather than gain a few.
The club was given €5000 "compensation" for lost gate receipts due to TV3 live coverage. Do you think just 500 stayed at home on a showery afternoon? Not likely IMO. I think Lennox should think long and hard b4 accepting another live TV deal at those rates, not to mention the value of more supporters filling St. Anne's end.

joe
16/08/2004, 3:48 PM
I think Lennox should think long and hard b4 accepting another live TV deal at those rates

yeah, 'cos he has a choice :rolleyes:

Fair_play_boy
16/08/2004, 4:39 PM
You should visit Derrynane. The singing is probably not heard in the shed, but that is only cos the shed is consistently so good.

DolansWaistcoat
16/08/2004, 5:10 PM
I thought the atmosphere was good enough up until shels scored.The drummers in the shed were on top form and had a good beat going for about ten minutes b4 the goal.The constant 'Rebel Army,Rebel Army' chant was class.

Éanna
16/08/2004, 6:39 PM
I thought the atmosphere was good enough up until shels scored.The drummers in the shed were on top form and had a good beat going for about ten minutes b4 the goal.The constant 'Rebel Army,Rebel Army' chant was class.
:o Dunno, I was drumming away and I was gettin very ****ed off cos I thought the place was dead

tippman
16/08/2004, 7:14 PM
I was talking about the shed, some of the derrynane and donie ford

Eric
16/08/2004, 7:49 PM
Have to say I thought the atmosphere was shocking and hold my hands up for not playing my part.

I was just really disappointed at the performance by City and couldn't get myself going.

as for the caps being taken off the bottles, blame Dan Connor for that!!!! :D

pete
17/08/2004, 11:18 AM
Its common practice in Europe for security to have a grope when entering the ground.

City would have expected to get good 6k instead of 4k crowd if shel$ game was on friday so City easily lost 20k cos of moving game for TV. I can see Lennox telling TV3 were to shove if theres a next time.

btw thought pitch looked superb on tv, best ever condition now they cutting grass low.

Peadar
17/08/2004, 11:24 AM
Have to say I thought the atmosphere was shocking and hold my hands up for not playing my part.

I was just really disappointed at the performance by City and couldn't get myself going.

It was a crap time to play the game anyway.
TV has never been worth the effort at the cross as far as we're concerned.
Pubs all over the country were showing the Newcastle game so I doubt too many people tuned in. Clever boys at TV3 know better than us though :rolleyes:
That said, there's still no excuse for how poorly we played.

Fair_play_boy
17/08/2004, 11:47 AM
I can see Lennox telling TV3 were to shove if theres a next time.
Point occurred to me, Is TV coverage dictated by FAI, or does Lennox have the choice?
Point 2, when there is a classic game at the Cross, I have heard comments from some wishing that some TV station ought to have covered it.

pete
17/08/2004, 12:09 PM
Point occurred to me, Is TV coverage dictated by FAI, or does Lennox have the choice?.

FAI would probably have nothing to do with the game as its likely the eircom league that probably did TV "deal".

From Lennoxs "matchday magazine" notes he said he asked League about ko time & they told him its TV3s choice.

Can you imagine any ohter sporting bosy giving tv rights to a broadcaster with unknown no. of games covered & broadcaster having sole right to basically change game to anytime they wanted. In theory tv3 could ahve choosen to move ko time to 11pm on a sunday.

:rolleyes:

thecorner
17/08/2004, 12:12 PM

shouldnt have to be up to you to get shed going every week.

god forbid,u might have to work sometime :D and the shed will have to get used to no megaphone being there

tiktok
17/08/2004, 12:22 PM
From Lennoxs "matchday magazine" notes he said he asked League about ko time & they told him its TV3s choice.

pandering to TV3 in that way is daft. :eek:

A face
17/08/2004, 1:25 PM
pandering to TV3 in that way is daft. :eek:

I disagree .... having games on TV is invaluable, you cant put a price on it. I think eL clubs should do all to facilitate TV companies (for the next couple of years anyway). We want to build up an audience. Until that happens .... we should make it as easy as possible for them to show games.

tiktok
17/08/2004, 1:43 PM
.... having games on TV is invaluable...

I agree with that.

However, RTE and TV3 can both show matches, Setanta are also looking to start showing them before the season ends (although with the intention of replaying them to pad out the current Saturday/sunday schedule) and it's a mess.

There's a huge difference between having a scheduled regular live match and matches shown irregularly and at different times to suit the TV station's own schedule on a given day.

Ideally the league should set down two windows for live coverage, IMO they should be Friday night at 7.30 and Monday night at 7.30, the TV stations can pick the game they want and the stations and clubs involved will know the game has to be on during one of these slots. People will then get used to those times being associated with live LoI football.

namloc
17/08/2004, 1:54 PM
Ideally the league should set down two windows for live coverage, IMO they should be Friday night at 7.30 and Monday night at 7.30, the TV stations can pick the game they want and the stations and clubs involved will know the game has to be on during one of these slots. People will then get used to those times being associated with live LoI football.

Seems reasonable but at those times there are bloody stupid soaps on and the channels won't reschedule those as they have some of the highest ratings of any shows....dunno why?? That's one of the main reasons city-shels wasn't on friday night cos the coronation street brigade would kick up!

pete
17/08/2004, 2:25 PM
Seems reasonable but at those times there are bloody stupid soaps on and the channels won't reschedule those as they have some of the highest ratings of any shows....dunno why?? That's one of the main reasons city-shels wasn't on friday night cos the coronation street brigade would kick up!

Doesn't stop them showing CL matches on wednesdays. No use in having sporadic tv matches at irregular times.

Eric
17/08/2004, 2:30 PM
Think the Friday night or Monday night idea for TV games would suit Setanta as the games they are showing at the moment are weekend games. Showing a game on a Monday or Friday night should be a definate success as they'd have no competition from the premiership etc for viewers.

Fair_play_boy
17/08/2004, 2:40 PM
Its common practice in Europe for security to have a grope when entering the ground.
It would depend on which security guard was doing the groping. Now, if it was the lassie with the frizzie blond hair . . . .that would be absolutely ok with me. :D