PDA

View Full Version : Hungary V Republic of Ireland - Monday, 4th June 2012 - Friendly

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

paul_oshea
04/06/2012, 8:23 PM
Hunt on this evidence doesnt offer us anything really, i would def have him 4th in the pecking order on the wings.

swinfordfc
04/06/2012, 8:25 PM
great counter attack ... cox should have scored

EastTerracer
04/06/2012, 8:25 PM
Good play on the break there by McGeady - we will need more of that over the next three games.

tricky_colour
04/06/2012, 8:26 PM
shud of scored

geysir
O'Shea is having a stinker.

We might nick this game yet, we are definitely on top in this half.

BonnieShels
Unlucky from Walters. Shoudl have scored.

Closed Account
04/06/2012, 8:27 PM
shud of scored

Should of. They're probably getting all the misses out of their system for next week.

tricky_colour
remember if we were playing Hungary in the qualifiedly we would be playing fro a draw, they finished 3rd in their group
which had Holland and I think Sweden in it? (need to check)

DannyInvincible
Great chance for Walters but headed wide.

Much better from Ireland at the minute.

IsMiseSean
04/06/2012, 8:28 PM
O'Shea doing his best to be dropped come Sunday...

geysir
04/06/2012, 8:28 PM
Hungary a good team, a lot better than they use to be.

SkStu
04/06/2012, 8:31 PM
Should of. They're probably getting all the misses out of their system for next week.

not sure if i am biting... should have.

swinfordfc
04/06/2012, 8:32 PM
good lad hunt

tricky_colour
04/06/2012, 8:32 PM
Yes they haven't eaten for days

tricky_colour
04/06/2012, 8:33 PM
Super Hunt!!
Saved the game!!

Closed Account
04/06/2012, 8:34 PM
not sure if i am biting... should have.
Doh! I stand corrected.

The Green Machine is coming on, he'll nick a diving header for us.

swinfordfc
04/06/2012, 8:37 PM
Walters doing very well in fairest and ireland done well in last 20mins .... since cox and walters have gone up front

paul_oshea
04/06/2012, 8:39 PM
We have done better only because they have taken their foot off/showing a little tiredness.

Closed Account
04/06/2012, 8:41 PM
Fulltime 0-0

Useful run out, don't think some of the Ireland players ever got out of first gear.

geysir
04/06/2012, 8:41 PM
O'Shea had no pace there.

geysir
04/06/2012, 8:42 PM
We have done better only because they have taken their foot off/showing a little tiredness.

That's utter bull.

born2bwild
Fulltime 0-0

Useful run out, don't think some of the Ireland players ever got out of first gear.
You would hope so.

swinfordfc
Roll on next Sunday ....... 14 matches unbeaten.

tricky_colour
The 0-0 draw machine rumbles on, crushing all in it's path....

swinfordfc
04/06/2012, 8:44 PM
The 0-0 draw machine rumbles on, crushing all in it's path....

We had chances to score ...... lets hope on sunday

tricky_colour
04/06/2012, 8:45 PM
Lol my stream has switched to the Queen's jubilee concert, which I just happened to have on the telly in the background.
Prince Philip could not make it as he is blalddered in hospital.

Murfinator
04/06/2012, 8:46 PM
Was very impressed by Hunt tonight, great delivery both in open play and set pieces. Terror off the ball, prevented a certain goal with good decision making and handed a chance on a plate to Walters. Should definitely be our bench impact player IMO.

geysir
04/06/2012, 8:51 PM
Overall that was a very good warm up game for us, you'd have to allow for the conditions for the quality at times.

If O'Shea can get back his zest in time then the only other change from the starting line up I'd make is have Gibson at CM. I was pleased with Ward's game.
If somebody says any different for the forward partnership, I wouldn't disagree, it's about time that we can change the starting partnership during the game and not miss a beat.

nigel-harps1954
04/06/2012, 8:58 PM
Thought Walters was excellent when he came on. Doyle and Keane were ineffective, hopefully food for thought for Trap and might consider Walters for a starting place.

Westwood also had another pleasing performance, made one lovely save at the start of the 2nd half.

Good to see the likes of Green and Hunt getting a run out, but hopefully that's the last we'll see of them this summer.

shakermaker1982
04/06/2012, 9:05 PM
Was the Trap better off by saying that places in his starting 11 were still up for grabs?

O'Shea, Doyle & 1 of Whelan/Andrews should be fretting about their places in starting line up if I'm being honest.

EastTerracer
04/06/2012, 9:09 PM
Trap just acknowledging that we struggle when the opponents play five in midfield. However, he then questions whether we can actually match that by playing with only one up front. Sounds to me like he won't change anything.

shakermaker1982
04/06/2012, 9:10 PM
Wow didn't expect the Trap to question the use of 4-4-2?! Where the hell did that come from?

Disgrace
04/06/2012, 9:16 PM
Wow didn't expect the Trap to question the use of 4-4-2?! Where the hell did that come from?

Very interesting that he mentioned it. Still think it'll be a 4-4-2 for the majority of games, but with a back up plan just in case. As for who can play in front of the midfield, what about throwing McGeady or Duff in there and letting Mclean loose on the left. Duff has played forward for us in the past.

theworm2345
04/06/2012, 9:50 PM
Just stuck up a stream cap of the match (Premier Sports) on Irish Torrents.

boolajake
04/06/2012, 10:04 PM
John O Shea is a centre half, should be along side Dunne, Kelly would do at full back.

Stuttgart88
04/06/2012, 10:14 PM
Entertaining game, but another curate's egg of a performance. We conceded enough chances to lose and yet we created enough ourselves in the second half.

Much better second half but it was too easy for Hungary to get between our two lines of four in the first half. Walters and Gibson in particular staked big claims for a starting place, but I think all the subs contributed. Nowt wrong with keeping good players up your sleeve but I'd definitely think of dropping Doyle.

Still, what's football if it isn't conceding chances and making chances and then seeing who scores more?

Stuttgart88
04/06/2012, 10:16 PM
Roll on next Sunday ....... 14 matches unbeaten.Hmm, George Hamilton, Hannover 1988. Danger here...

tricky_colour
04/06/2012, 10:24 PM
Yes they haven't eaten for days

Which is why they are Hungary!!!

tricky_colour
04/06/2012, 10:27 PM
Trap just acknowledging that we struggle when the opponents play five in midfield. However, he then questions whether we can actually match that by playing with only one up front. Sounds to me like he won't change anything.

Well it is no surprise that 4 are going to struggle against 5, if that is the case then we simply have to drop
a strike back to help out, and it is what we should have done today if they was the problem.
Lets face it it is utterly pointless have 2 up front to pass to when you can't win the ball in first place.

SwanVsDalton
04/06/2012, 10:28 PM
Only just saw the game, had it Sky+'d. Surprisingly entertaining for a 0-0 friendly. Thought we didn't look as defensively switched on as we should have - one eye on next Sunday possibly. Either way doubt Trap will let them get away with it.

Definitely some thought on the starting 11 yet. I think wily Trap might have a surprise up his sleeve yet - his talk of five in midfield post game sounds like an attempt to keep Croatia guessing though.

Stuttgart88
04/06/2012, 10:33 PM
I think the whole "this is my XI for the tournament" is mind games stuff. I hope so.

tricky_colour
04/06/2012, 10:46 PM
Just stuck up a stream cap of the match (Premier Sports) on Irish Torrents.

there does not apear to any way to register at the site, thus nobody could every login?

tetsujin1979
04/06/2012, 10:50 PM
it wasn't a great game, but was in atrocious conditions and quite possibly should not have gone ahead
having said that, the result was the least of my concerns, behind injuries and suspensions
Am I right in thinking that David Forde is the only squad member not to see gametime in the two friendlies?

boysingreen
04/06/2012, 10:53 PM
Hungary Ireland

22(9) Shots (on Goal) 12(3)
15 Fouls 7
3 Corner Kicks 7
0 Offsides 3
50% Time of Possession 50%
1 Yellow Cards 1
0 Red Cards 0
3 Saves 9

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=337048&cc=5901

Watched the game... but, just checked the box score to see the damage... we gave up... 22 shots!?

Slaven Bilic was in attendance. He'll have trouble sleeping tonight I suppose lol

Don't want to read too much into a friendly 6 days before the big show, on a wet pitch, but still a bit disconcerting.

Colbert Report
04/06/2012, 10:54 PM
Stephen Ward giving the ball away just before the ten minute mark was downright criminal. He'll get roasted by the likes of Spain and Italy. What is Trap thinking? Get a real left back in there.

boysingreen
04/06/2012, 10:57 PM
How do you guys feel about Duff and Doyle starting?

Those are the two I'd single out- not crazy about their form. Would prefer Long followed by Walters ahead of Doyle. McClean over Duff.

Ward concerns me but don't think we have any option there.

theworm2345
04/06/2012, 11:19 PM
there does not apear to any way to register at the site, thus nobody could every login?
You need to be invited, though I am out of invites. I know I invited horton and either geysir or gastric (too similar to remember) and neither has used either of their invites so you can ask one of them I'm sure they'd oblige.

Philly
04/06/2012, 11:23 PM
How do you guys feel about Duff and Doyle starting?

Those are the two I'd single out- not crazy about their form. Would prefer Long followed by Walters ahead of Doyle. McClean over Duff.

Ward concerns me but don't think we have any option there.

I'd keep Duff for the Croatia game and see how he does. His experience alone means he should be given more time. Doyle, though, has lacked confidence for over a year now and has just being playing bad - simple as. I think Walters looks the most threatening of all our strikers lately and would like to see him start Sunday.

elroy
04/06/2012, 11:26 PM
Much better second half but it was too easy for Hungary to get between our two lines of four in the first half.

This is my fear for the euros, the ' Russian effect'. Basically how they played against us in both games, used a diamond format in, which played between and passed through our banks of four. As much as I admire traps organisation and effective tactics, I fear he doesn't seem to have any answer to the diamond formation and associated tactics.

As for traps comments at the end about a change in formation, does anyone else think he often says ,certain things that are either lost in translation or are to appease the journos. I don't believe for a second that he is truly considering changing our formation.

Noelys Guitar
04/06/2012, 11:32 PM
Not too bothered about the game. Given and O'Shea will be better for the game. McGeady played OK Doyle has been off form for some time and his position is the one most under threat. Lets hope he has a stormer on Sunday and rediscovers the form he was showing a season ago. Keane and Duff wisely going through the motions. Bilic won't have been too bothered by what he saw but I bet he is a bit nervous about McGeady and the players we have on the bench like Long, Walters, Cox and McClean.