PDA

View Full Version : City v $hel$ Ratings

pete
14/08/2004, 9:35 PM
Devine: 7 Did was was needed of him, little could do about goal.
Lordan: 5, ok few mistakes but generally defensively sound.
Bennet: 6, at fault for goal? will have to see on tv myself.
Murray: 6
Murphy: 6, had better of right winger mainly, tried to push forward without much, poor free kicks.
Colin: 6, hard job in busy midfield, held his own.
George: 3, worst game this season, gets rating for turning up, :(
Kearney: 6
Billy: 5, ok first half faded in 2nd.
Fenn: 7, better thn most tired to find space.
Doyle: 6 not as good as usual althiugh if had scored his chance would ahve been great goal.

Nwanko, did ok but we chasing too many lost causes.
Gamble, didn't do much, hard to see what role he gonna play for team.
Behan, sad refection on squad we have to resort to using him as backup forward, Nolan is surely worthy of a go off bench...

:(

Fair_play_boy
14/08/2004, 9:48 PM
Agree with all but 6 for Doyle. He did really well in the air against a bigger player, and was not intimidated by the kicking he got. Give him a 7.

razor
15/08/2004, 11:37 AM
But ye'll give George crap now cos he's a flair player is it???

Don't start diggin up that old chestnut again.
Flair player my @rse.
He was rubbish yesterday, the invisible man would have had more of a presence on the game.

I think a rating of 3 is generous to say the least.

SSS
15/08/2004, 12:10 PM
Don't start diggin up that old chestnut again.
Flair player my @rse.
He was rubbish yesterday, the invisible man would have had more of a presence on the game.

I think a rating of 3 is generous to say the least.

George was no worse than most of the others. George gets marked lower because more is expected of him, but if he gets a three, there should be a forest of them for last night (trees ;) )

thecorner
15/08/2004, 12:23 PM
over-reaction lads

dont think they honestly go out on the pitch to play badly

they werent left play by thugs

Storysham
15/08/2004, 12:41 PM
Well maybe we need a few on our team, a bit of muscle wouldnt go astray.

Fair_play_boy
15/08/2004, 2:38 PM
Well maybe we need a few on our team, a bit of muscle wouldnt go astray.
Greg, would you mind showing this thread to Dolan?

Éanna
15/08/2004, 6:20 PM
Devine: 7 Did nothing wrong and made some good catches.
Lordan: 3 It might just be tiredness but he was awful
Bennet: 5 didn't do anything terribly wrong, but didn't doo much right either.
Murray: 4 In a word- poor. As captain he should be urging the team on and he just isn't doing it. Performance wise he was ok.
Murphy: 4 out of position too much, gave the ball away and should have been hauled off for that ridiculous attempt from about 40 yars near the end when there were a good few city players in the box. worst performance by a mile in a city shirt.
Colin: 4 tried, but you don't win leagues by trying. Just not effective enough and not physical enough
George: 3 very very poor. He ran but that was about it.
Kearney: 4 One (admittedly awful) tackle from heary and he vanished. looks burnt out and should be rested.
Billy: 2 almost average in the first half, diabolical in the second. he has to go at the end of the season- past it.
Fenn: 6 bar devine our best player, tried very hard and played some good passes but not helped by the rest of them.
Doyle: 5 had a very good first half but disappeared. that said, using him as a target man was never going to work.

Nwanko- did what he could but the rest had given up.
Gamble- poor. has not impressed in any of his appearances so far.
Behan- should have started yesterday for o'flynn, he might have got somewhere against a very physical shels defence

Dolan 4 -we know how good he is tactically after europe, but he got it wrong. needs to make changes.

tiktok
15/08/2004, 7:57 PM
Lordan: 3 It might just be tiredness but he was awful

Behan- should have started yesterday for o'flynn, he might have got somewhere against a very physical shels defence

Agrere with the rest of it Eanna, but

Lordan...poor, but I wouldn't be too hard on him, I'd ask any of you to make a list of his worst games for City and I'll tell you now what the common denominator was....
Woods in front of him. Billy was a good left back but he drifts inside when RM and leaves the full back exposed, to top it off he doesn't show for passes from right back, Doyler does. So Lordan isn't forced to play the ball long or to try and run it out of defense :rolleyes:

which is why...

you're spot on about Behan. He would have mixed it with Rogers but more importantly, we'd have had Doyle on the right running at Crawley, even Shels fans will tell you he's their weak link.

Éanna
16/08/2004, 6:57 PM
What did he get wrong? What would you different beside the obvious of starting Behan up front. :rolleyes:
i have seen him for U-21's and I think he is going to be a very very good player. he needs to get a game or two in the first team and I think it will do the world of good. as for dolan, playing woods at all was a mistake and IMO lordan was too knackered for the game as well. whether he played behan or nolan or whoever, he should have left doyle on the right and started someone else up front. I also think kearney should have been rested- nwankwo was a better bet physically against heary and kearney looks wrecked.

Éanna
16/08/2004, 6:58 PM
As for Gamble...he has had one full start against UCD and by his own admission was poor....but he ain't going to settl edown with just 1 match, then back on the bench getting 2,10,15 mins at the end of every game.
yet, you're judging behan on the same basis? look at it this way- behan has started one game this season and he scored one and set one up in it. surely he deserves a chance

SSS
16/08/2004, 7:37 PM
[QUOTE=tiktok]Agrere with the rest of it Eanna, but

Lordan...poor, but I wouldn't be too hard on him, I'd ask any of you to make a list of his worst games for City and I'll tell you now what the common denominator was....
Woods in front of him. Billy was a good left back but he drifts inside when RM and leaves the full back exposed, to top it off he doesn't show for passes from right back, Doyler does. So Lordan isn't forced to play the ball long or to try and run it out of defense :rolleyes:
QUOTE]

Woods covered very well against Shels - admittedly with some coaching from Dolan. He was even to be seen behind Lordan as Lordan faced Cahill.
I think Lordan's ppor performance had sweet FA to do with Woods in this match anyway. My primary issue with him was that he lost the ball three times in his own half. He distribution may normally be good, but there's a time to hoof it if nothing's on. Apart fom that, he's just not yet strong enough IMO.

tiktok
16/08/2004, 8:21 PM
Woods covered very well against Shels - admittedly with some coaching from Dolan. He was even to be seen behind Lordan as Lordan faced Cahill.

In the first half, but in the second half Billy started drifting and didn't have the sense to do the same covering job when Dolan wasn't screaming at him

My primary issue with him was that he lost the ball three times in his own half.

Yeah, I was watching the game, and on those occasions the midfielders were running away from him, and if he'd hoofed it aimlessly away, people would be complaining about that too.

I'm not claiming the lad is a genius, I'm not even claiming that he played well at the weekend, but to pass the ball well, you need someone to pass to first, and it's not fair on the kid to say his distribution was brutal on Saturday when we had midfielders hiding.

razor
16/08/2004, 9:09 PM
Its very easy to say all of this when the game is over and we lost 2-0 but the team that started was the same team that drew 0-0 in Nijmegen and that was a great result, nobody complained then.

If it was alll about trotting out the same 11 every week, we'd all be football managers. :confused:

I've notcied that a few of the bad games Lordan had were related to Woods and not Doyle being on the right side of midfield.

Billy was a liability on Saturday. Didn't push on enough and didn't defend enough.

Fair_play_boy
16/08/2004, 9:14 PM
Billy was a liability on Saturday. Didn't push on enough and didn't defend enough.
But he had some good touches, including the pass early in the game which sent Doyler thru for his attempt that went wide.

pete
17/08/2004, 11:25 AM
I think i was being too generous & Eannas ratings a lot closer to reality.

I gave George so low rating cos he was nowhere to be seen for almost all the match. He may not have been he,ped by 5 man midfield but city are so dependent on him performing but he rarely looked for the ball from defense.

Not been so depressed post match in a few years mainly cos we were soooooooooo poor in 2nd half & took a big step backwards in resorting to long balls!

:(