PDA

View Full Version : city match

rebel army no1
14/08/2004, 6:05 PM
just heard the city score and what a blow. to lose 1-0 at home is dreadful. i know im not the one to be talking but that has to be the worst result all season.i wasnt at the match cause im on holidays and maybe city did play well but i am absolutley gutted and i think any chance of us winning the league now is gone :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek:

Storysham
14/08/2004, 6:23 PM
just heard the city score and what a blow. to lose 1-0 at home is dreadful. i know im not the one to be talking but that has to be the worst result all season.i wasnt at the match cause im on holidays and maybe city did play well but i am absolutley gutted and i think any chance of us winning the league now is gone :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek:

No they didnt play well. Tv jinx again.

ccfcgirl
14/08/2004, 6:33 PM
City didnt play well i dont think tv3 be coming to the cross for a while

Fair_play_boy
14/08/2004, 6:55 PM
Where was Flynnie?
Shelsea did not let us play in the second half. But going in at half time, the team must have felt that this match was there for the taking. We had much more of the play and the Shelsea defence looked dead on their feet. I don't know what changed so much at half time. Doyler managed to win most of the high balls against a bigger defender, and Colin put in his usual 100%. It just never clicked for us and apart from an early effort from Doyle and a corner from absolutely nothing in the second half which caused a goalmouth scramble, we never looked like scoring.
I am not one to look for excuses, but the ref was truly shocking, particularly in the mid - second half when he awarded a free against Fenn three times in succession when he had the ball a his feet in good positions. He also bottled it when a Shelsea midfielder blasted the ball into the seats under the stand after the whistle went. Didn't even give him a yellow.
What a bad day, when our next goal seems to be that we come second to get into Europe next season.

adamcarr
14/08/2004, 7:01 PM
If they were still playing now, we wouldnt score. I thought Nwankwo played great when he came on. I doubt Flynny would have made a difference, but Woodsie was shocking. Doyler was poor, Gamble was OK. Fenn could have taken the ball in much further but decided to shoot from 25 yards :( Same with Kearney and his chance. Shels didnt deserve to win but we definately didnt! :mad:

niamh
14/08/2004, 7:05 PM
The refs in the league are terrible for everyone not just City. The game today was really disappointing, with a disappointing result.
Practically the entire second half Damien Richardson was saying City flat - they were looking tired, proving that ppl saying the team are tired after their Euro games is rubbish. Shels came to City and showed us how to ground out a result that should not be theirs. City need to learn that.

Nigel Irritable
14/08/2004, 7:33 PM
It's a fair point.

Shels arrived in Cork after running themselves into the ground on Wednesday with some players visibly tired. Cork were at home and Shels had both first choice strikers suspended.

This was about as good a chance to make up ground as City could wish for yet they never looked like scoring. Shels are just that small but important bit better than the rest of the league at the moment. The best of the rest - Bohs, Cork and Drogheda - just seem to be lacking that extra touch of quality.

tiktok
14/08/2004, 8:23 PM
Poor effort start to finish, we looked like a team who'd played wednesday rather than Shels.

Shels did deserve it, they were poor but they were still the better side and Devine was the only keeper tested. The soaked up all the pressure we threw at them without us creating anything in the final third and ground out the result. .

We lost it in midfield, pure and simple, N'Do/Heary too strong for Kearney, I thought that Woods marshalled Ollie well, but he offered nothing going forward, Colin was ok but George may as well have been in the shed. Shels closed down very well with the five man midfield and absolutely stifled us.

At half time, Fenlon switched to 442 and Hoolahan and N'do saw more of the ball, and as has been said, we could still be playing and we wouldn't have scored tonight.

Nwankwo coming on for Kearney was spot on, he was a little stronger tbh, I would have thrown Behan in against Rogers and put Doyle wide right when Woods was coming on, he's only young but the type of ball we were playing forward would have suited his game.

In the end I think it's the league gone, nothing to do with the points gap really, more to do with the fact in the recent crunch games against teams we're challenging Bohs, Drogs and Shels (two of which were at home) we've taken no points.

A solid, professional Shels performance, we should learn from it.

Fair_play_boy
14/08/2004, 9:10 PM
. . . Devine was the only keeper tested. . .
And what a brilliant save from that header 10 minutes from time. Real class!!!