PDA

View Full Version : Murphy calls for more protection for Cahill

jbrazil
02/12/2001, 4:18 PM
CORK boss Liam Murphy has called on the eircom League’s top referees to give livewire winger Ollie Cahill more protection.
Murphy claimed Cahill was on the receiving end of more cynical treatment after the Leesiders beat Shamrock Rovers 3-1 at Richmond Park on Friday to blow the eircom Premier Division title race wide open again.
Murphy was delighted with the win but less pleased with the treatment Cahill received.
"Yet again Ollie had a lot to put up with," Murphy told inthenet.ie. "It was the same the previous week in Galway. It seems everyone wanted to take a pop at the lad. There were a lot of cynical fouls flying around again and Ollie took the full force of most of them.
"In fairness to the guy he just gets up and gets on with it. He’s not the type of player to roll around and I’m not the type of manager to tell him to do that. But he could do with a bit more protection from referees. He is taking a lot of punishment in games."inthenet.ie

Éanna
02/12/2001, 4:43 PM
Murphy's right, Cahill's getting lumps kicked out of him every game, and it needs to be stopped.
BUT- Murphy has had a complaint about the ref after almost every game so far this season, whether or not we win. He's been totally justified in this in most cases, but him griping about refs is not going to do us any favours. Imagine the referees meeting this week- "Cork City win to blow the title rce wide open, and they're still whinging" "sure didn't they beat galway 4-0 last week, and he was complaining then as well" are probably going to be the kind of comments floating round- who's going to get 50-50 decisions then? Us or the opposition.
Murphy has a point, but a bit of diplomacy would be a good idea.

joe
02/12/2001, 5:52 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
Murphy has a point, a bit of diplomacy would be a good idea.

the same could be said for some fans ( :D ) who get on certain referees' backs before the match even starts!

Éanna
02/12/2001, 8:39 PM
Originally posted by joe

the same could be said for some fans ( :D ) who get on certain referees' backs before the match even starts!
Point taken :D I actually didn't say anything at the Galway match until he made his first mistake- i must be getting soft in my old age! :D

pete
03/12/2001, 9:20 AM
If Gunther is gonna moan about the refs after every game no one will listen to him.

He needs to better choose his moments to moan. I'm sure referees don't appreciate criticism after every game!

niamh
03/12/2001, 11:36 AM
But Murphy's point is a very valid one. Ollie's flying at the moment and the only way teams feel they can slow him down is by tackling him hard. If it is not cracked down on it very well could because sooner or later he won't be able to play on.