PDA

View Full Version : Did Lee Travel Screw City Supporters?

Fair_play_boy
13/08/2004, 9:38 PM
The following post appeared on the Shelsea foot.ie forum at 5.00pm today:

Breaking News
Airline Ryanair has begun advertising a special return flight on the day of the final qualifying round second leg on Tuesday, August 24.
Tickets will cost from €299 return plus taxes & charges for the 189-seat flight.

Now, why could Lee Travel not do better than €499, given that City had a shorter trip, and have four times the support?

tiktok
13/08/2004, 9:53 PM
big difference between Ryanair and abbey travel, main one, Ryanair own planes so they wouldn't have to charter one.

having said that, the official Shels trip works out at around the 500-600euro mark, but you get four days in La Coruna for your troubles.

I think at the time there were a few people who work in the industry who said it was a fair price, tbh, I've heard no-one who took that option complain about it since

City Hero
14/08/2004, 12:31 AM
Not too many people (including me) here are experts in charter flights, but at a guess, it's probably alot easier & cheaper to charter a flight based on the following;

- 2 to 3 weeks notice
- travelling from dublin
- travelling to spain

Wouldn't like to be on holidays in La Coruna when 300 ?? dubs arrive there next weekend. Just imagine them all in their Arnotts jerseys

Corner NO1
14/08/2004, 4:02 AM
You would think that Lee travel bein a cork based company he would have given us a good deal(still p:mad:ssd that could afford trip)...like you wouldnt mind if they had made that offer to the shels he would have still lined his pockets if he had put 2 planes@ e300...i mean they are worse than ollie for screwing city to line their pockets...

ccfcman
14/08/2004, 7:42 AM
were there any real complaints about the trip in reality?

everything was perfect with lee travel breaking their arses for supporters

also this post has been flogged to death previously

Fair_play_boy
14/08/2004, 11:47 AM
were there any real complaints about the trip in reality?
Yes, but the complaints were not by those who could afford the trip. They started on this forum as soon as I and some others saw the price at €499, and we could not afford to go, as the price was out of reach.
Today I am writing to Ryanair to make a contact with someone who can make a decision at short notice to fly City fans to a European destination next season. I bet we will fill many more seats that way than if we went with Lee Travel.

iceman
14/08/2004, 10:49 PM
As one who works in the Travel Industry (and not defending Lee Travel) I would just like to point out thet the ONLY reason for the difficulty you had in getting a reasonable fare (charter) to Nantes was the unavailability of a suitable aircraft at such short notice on the busiest weekend for air travel in the year - builders/factory holidays etc. Ryanair had no spare aircraft/crew available at the time of the Nantes game.

As a rough guideline for future reference I could sell you a 200 seater aircraft(providing you fill it) to Nantes on a day-trip from Cork for just less than e200 per head and still make a profit - providing it was outside of late July/ early August and had about a weeks notice.

Unfortunatly the UEFA fixtures committee dont take things like this into consideration.

Fair_play_boy
14/08/2004, 10:54 PM
As a rough guideline for future reference I could sell you a 200 seater aircraft(providing you fill it) to Nantes on a day-trip from Cork for just less than e200 per head and still make a profit - providing it was outside of late July/ early August and had about a weeks notice.

Please send me a message off line.
Thanks.

Fair_play_boy
14/08/2004, 10:57 PM
There is a failsafe way to make this work. Guys like this can be burned by a bad experience, so it is important not to mess up.
What would be practical to organise is a deposit of €100 per skull, refundable if the trip does not go ahead. NOBODY gets their €100 back if he / she fails to buy the ticket.

Éanna
15/08/2004, 6:25 PM
leave it go for ****s sake. lee travel did their best in a very short space of time, and if you thought it was too much, there were other options. :rolleyes:

Wicklowrebel
16/08/2004, 12:17 PM
With Ryanair you would end up paying another hundred on taxes and insurance, fly into an airport thats not the most conveniant, and pay transfers etc to get to the ground, not really a massive saving. Ryanair are masters of making things look alot cheaper than they are in reality.

max power
16/08/2004, 3:01 PM
this should make "certain" Cork fans happy..... ;)

from www.breakingnews.ie

Ryanair has been forced to cancel a specially-arranged flight to Spain for next week's Champions League match between Shelbourne and Deportivo La Coruna.

Poor sales are being blamed, and the airline has said that it is disappointed with the uptake.

However, fans had complained that the price of €299 plus taxes and charges was too expensive.

Any passengers who had booked will be given full refunds.

GavinZac
16/08/2004, 3:45 PM
bah the little club couldnt even fill a plane to go to one of europes big stadiums.

ccfcman
16/08/2004, 3:45 PM
well to be fair gavinzac they would miss out on dole day on thursday :D

GavinZac
16/08/2004, 3:49 PM
well yeah i suppose factors like that and criminal records and such would be a deterant. and most dubs would be instinctively cautious on a plane, they're used to trying to avoid airport security

pete
17/08/2004, 11:06 AM
However, fans had complained that the price of €299 plus taxes and charges was too expensive.

Any excuse :rolleyes:

I think shel$ travelling support on saturday must havebeen worst from Dublin team this season excluding CHF.

Robinski
17/08/2004, 11:27 AM
The following post appeared on the Shelsea foot.ie forum at 5.00pm today:

Breaking News
Airline Ryanair has begun advertising a special return flight on the day of the final qualifying round second leg on Tuesday, August 24.
Tickets will cost from €299 return plus taxes & charges for the 189-seat flight.

Now, why could Lee Travel not do better than €499, given that City had a shorter trip, and have four times the support?

This is the latest offering from shelbournefc.ie

Extra trip to A Coruña.

Monday 16 Aug 2004 --Additional travel package to A Coruña added to cater for demand and to offer choice of duration of trip.

In order to cater for the huge demand of Shelbourne supporters wishing to travel for the away leg Champions League game against Deportivo La Coruña, an extra package is now available.

This trip will depart Dublin at 12.00 midnight on Saturday 21st, returning Wednesday 25th midday. Hotel accommodation, all transfers, taxes and match ticket included - Total price: €624 . Contact Tolka Park for further details or to book.

Fair_play_boy
17/08/2004, 11:38 AM
. . . Extra trip to La Coruña. . . to cater for the huge demand of Shelbourne supporters . . . wishing to travel for the away leg . . . Total price: €624 . . .
It gets better and better!!