PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Bosnia and Herzegovina - Saturday, 26th May 2012 - Friendly

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Colbert Report
25/05/2012, 5:41 AM
What's the lineup looking like? From what I've read out entire back five might be out. Is St. Ledger fit? Given, O'Shea and Dunne out for sure? What about Ward?

geysir
25/05/2012, 11:20 AM
Trap was asked if McClean will start, he answered "No, but yes," "a great possibility."

I take that as, will not start but plan to use him as a sub. Or is there any other meaning possible? Is there a meaning at all?

jbyrne
25/05/2012, 11:21 AM
Trap was asked if McClean will start, he answered "No, but yes," "a great possibility."

I take that as, will not start but plan to use him as a sub. Or is there any other meaning possible? Is there a meaning at all?

given we are missing 4 of our back 5 its unlikely trap will start mcclean

geysir
25/05/2012, 11:23 AM
Is it easier to understand what a woman is supposed to be thinking than the mind of Trap?

Crosby87
25/05/2012, 11:35 AM
Is it easier to understand what a woman is supposed to be thinking than the mind of Trap?

If a woman says no, but yes what do you do?

paul_oshea
25/05/2012, 11:45 AM
I used to burn money, the wife was a perfect match.

Sorry for hijacking:

A group of girlfriends is on vacation when they see a 5-story hotel with a sign that reads: "For Women Only." Since they are without their boyfriends and husbands, they decide to go in.

The bouncer, a very attractive guy, explains to them how it works. "We have 5 floors. Go up floor by floor, and once you find what you are looking for, you can stay there. It's easy to decide since each floor has a sign telling you what's inside."

So they start going up and on the first floor the sign reads: "All the men on this floor are short and plain." The friends laugh and without hesitation move on to the next floor.

The sign on the second floor reads: "All the men here are short and handsome." Still, this isn't good enough, so the friends continue on up.

They reach the third floor and the sign reads: "All the men here are tall and plain."

They still want to do better, and so, knowing there are still two floors left, they continued on up.

On the fourth floor, the sign is perfect: "All the men here are tall and handsome." The women get all excited and are going in when they realize that there is still one floor left. Wondering what they are missing, they head on up to the fifth floor.

There they find a sign that reads: "There are no men here. This floor was built only to prove that there is no way to please a woman."

paul_oshea
25/05/2012, 11:47 AM
If Mcshane goes as a sub i wonder who does he room with? Does he get a room by himself? It kinda ruins his summer holidays if he goes all the way to Hungary and then bye bye!

geysir
25/05/2012, 12:47 PM
Was it a very pessimistic move by McShane to book his holiday to start before the squad even departed for the Finals?
The standby option (the Cork lad?) for the 2002 Finals squad was just on way to his holiday destination on the day of the deadline for filing in the squad.

tetsujin1979
25/05/2012, 1:06 PM
panic, you're goosed either way.

Closed Account
25/05/2012, 1:21 PM
Starting XI is

Westwood

McShane
Dunne
St Ledger
Ward

Duff
Gibson
Whelan

McClean

Keane
Doyle

Mr A
25/05/2012, 1:23 PM
Jeepers. That's very weak looking in the full back slots.

Closed Account
25/05/2012, 1:25 PM
Jeepers. That's very weak looking in the full back slots.
I'm suprised Stephen Kelly isn't right back.

geysir
25/05/2012, 1:26 PM
So no means yes,
McClean does start, it all makes sense now.

SwanVsDalton
25/05/2012, 1:28 PM
I'm suprised Stephen Kelly isn't right back.

Same. Can't think of a good reason not to play him unless it's fitness related.

Pleased to see McClean get a start, though would've liked a bit more variety up front.

geysir
25/05/2012, 1:30 PM
Maybe Trap wants to evaluate a fit McShane versus a half crocked Foley.

Closed Account
25/05/2012, 1:35 PM
Pleased to see McClean get a start.That's the most suprising thing. His rise has been absolutely phenomenal. Trap gets a lot of criticism, justifiably at times, for his rigidness. He must be applauded for giving McClean this chance.

Hopefully there's a good crowd there tomorrow. Sunny saturday afternoon in Dublin, sure what else would you be doing.

bwagner
25/05/2012, 1:48 PM
Keane and Doyle up front again - yawn

geysir
25/05/2012, 2:04 PM
We are weak at both full back slots.
I'm more pleased to see Gibson get a start than anything else. If the lad can impress his game on proceedings, we have much to gain from a player like him in the centre.

backstothewall
25/05/2012, 2:07 PM
Starting XI is

Westwood

McShane
Dunne
St Ledger
Ward

Duff
Gibson
Whelan

McClean

Keane
Doyle

Could trap be thinking about playing Gibson in place of Andrews in the Euros? He doesn't usually make unforced changes from his first 11

tetsujin1979
25/05/2012, 2:15 PM
think Gibson's start is a change for the long term, Andrews is 31, could be McCarthy/Gibson starting by the end of the World Cup qualifiers.

AlaskaFox
25/05/2012, 2:28 PM
think Gibson's start is a change for the long term, Andrews is 31, could be McCarthy/Gibson starting by the end of the World Cup qualifiers.

I'd say McCarthy would have gotten a start too were he in the squad. Happy to see Gibbo get the nod in midfield.

tetsujin1979
25/05/2012, 2:38 PM
Just thinking out loud, could Gibson play a similar role for us as Pirlo for Italy?

paul_oshea
25/05/2012, 4:20 PM
Was it a very pessimistic move by McShane to book his holiday to start before the squad even departed for the Finals?
The standby option (the Cork lad?) for the 2002 Finals squad was just on way to his holiday destination on the day of the deadline for filing in the squad.

If i were a footballer, I'd do exactly that, in a sort of Karma way, well maybe not karma, but like come back and haunt you but that would be like an Elizabeth taylor in her prime hopping back into your bed every night sorta haunt. Who'd care about the inconvenience or money lost at that point? You would be on the plane.

paul_oshea
25/05/2012, 4:23 PM

Well if she has tourettes or a Stutter, and "your" finished, then you could be in serious trouble.

It makes sense when you know the answer. Trap is like that Maths question you never really are sure if you do know how to do it, but when you try it out you think you have it right, then when you see the answer you are like, aaaah it makes sense, but yet time and again you get it wrong in the future.

I am happy enough with that team, limited options, Trap didnt want a completely new back four for the game coming up, and he has brought in McClean and Gibson. I would have liked something different than keane and doyle but that will be the no2 pairing so im happy that they need to get back into the swing of things.

I always feel keane and doyle, on doyle moreso, don't like playing together. Maybe doyle feels like the horse in Lord of the Flies.

Perhaps Trap has gotten more confident in the ability of the younger generation, or perhaps he has got more faith in the depth in the squad. Whatever it is, he is definitely bringing in change a lot faster and assuringly to the fore than he used to be.

geysir
25/05/2012, 4:32 PM
I would have liked something different than keane and doyle but that will be the no2 pairing so im happy that they need to get back into the swing of things.
What do you think is Traps nr1 pairing up front?

paul_oshea
25/05/2012, 4:34 PM
I just re-read that before you posted, i meant to say Number 1 top 2(or front 2) pairing.

But maybe after Saturdays game, there may well be a preferred nr1 top 2(:)) pairing.

geysir
25/05/2012, 4:50 PM
I just re-read that before you posted, i meant to say Number 1 top 2(or front 2) pairing.

But maybe after Saturdays game, there may well be a preferred nr1 top 2(:)) pairing.

The clarification has me more confused :) but I think I've got your meaning.

paul_oshea
25/05/2012, 4:57 PM
Ya there was a far clearer way to write that im sure.:)

this has me confused :

Darren O'Dea and Stephen Ward will start at centre-half and left-full respectively. The Irish boss must decide which of McShane and Stephen Kelly are deployed alongside O'Dea, with the other set for the right-back slot."

I was wondering, where is O'dea, o'dea can play right back. He is not injured but makes the bench yet Mcshane is starting?

Charlie Darwin
25/05/2012, 6:35 PM
Delighted to see McClean and Gibson both starting, though would have preferred to see Gibson alongside Andrews than Whelan.

Crosby87
25/05/2012, 10:25 PM
So no means yes, it all makes sense now.

Looks like you can go back to the judge with that info huh?

SwanVsDalton
25/05/2012, 11:29 PM
I was wondering, where is O'dea, o'dea can play right back. He is not injured but makes the bench yet Mcshane is starting?

I think Geysir's explanation is probably the best bet (better than Trap is a nutcase, as true as that might be)...

As he posted, perhaps with McShane next in line for an emergency call Trap wants to get a close look at him from the start to see how he goes. Particularly since Foley isn't fit, so right back cover may be needed.

Closed Account
26/05/2012, 6:54 AM
Fuppin missed my train by 2 minutes, beer garden it is for me today.

AlaskaFox
26/05/2012, 9:40 AM
Sejad Salihovic is a doubt for them, injured in training. Also expected to start two up front: Dzeko and Ibisevic.

AlaskaFox
26/05/2012, 10:28 AM
Predicted Bosnia lineup to face Ireland:
http://www.reprezentacija.ba/images/stories/SafetSusic/sastavirska.jpg

geysir
26/05/2012, 10:39 AM
Delighted to see McClean and Gibson both starting, though would have preferred to see Gibson alongside Andrews than Whelan.
We'll see how it goes with them together. Offhand, Whelan would be my choice to play alongside Gibson, but Andrews offers more mobility and energy.
It would be craic if Trap replaced Whelan with Andrews at half time, to see which of them plays best with Gibson.

DannyInvincible
26/05/2012, 11:00 AM
Good craic or bad craic? :)

geysir
26/05/2012, 12:31 PM
Sure I only hope for good when it comes to the Irish team.
Such a scenario could indicate that Gibson has moved up the scale on merit as distinct from moving up because others are dropping down.
I'm sure Paul would understand me.

DannyInvincible
26/05/2012, 1:47 PM
Anyone got an English-language stream or a Sopcast channel?

Closed Account
26/05/2012, 1:50 PM
http://www.coolsport.tv/stream3.php

theworm2345
26/05/2012, 1:59 PM
Can't remember the last time there was a kickoff at this time for an Ireland match.

boysingreen
26/05/2012, 2:02 PM
For the link above, how the hell do I get the "you are missing xvideo plugin" thing to go away. It's whiting out the video stream, can hear the audio. Normally can just x it out, or just click on full screen and it goes away, not working.

DannyInvincible
26/05/2012, 2:04 PM
Can't remember the last time there was a kickoff at this time for an Ireland match.

Wales a few years ago?

Sounds like a really upbeat atmosphere for a friendly for a change. Great stuff.

DannyInvincible
26/05/2012, 2:05 PM
For the link above, how the hell do I get the "you are missing xvideo plugin" thing to go away. It's whiting out the video stream, can hear the audio. Normally can just x it out, or just click on full screen and it goes away, not working.

You should be able to find a little 'x' hidden away somewhere. They conceal them quite well. Might have been down the bottom-left.

pineapple stu
26/05/2012, 2:08 PM
So anything happening? Turns out nowhere in Chiang Mai has Sky Sports, and that stream is giving a rake of dodgy "You won" pop ups (and I've already been told in one internet cafe that I can't watch streams...)

Edit - sorry, got it. Stupid fake xs.

geysir
26/05/2012, 2:11 PM
It's getting harder to find those x's, I found it on the sound control icon, with the help of a magnifying glass.

3 hoofs in the 1st minute

boysingreen
26/05/2012, 2:11 PM
Thanks a mil DannyInvincible, got fooled by the dummy x's, finally found the red ones!

tricky_colour
26/05/2012, 2:24 PM

Look carefully there should be a little x in the the top left. There is also a false x and the real one of top left of that I think.

boysingreen
26/05/2012, 2:27 PM
If the Spanish are watching this, surely they're shaking in their boots lol

zero
26/05/2012, 2:27 PM
gibson has given the ball away about five or six times already. i thought whelan should have had a pen, looked definite to me but i guess i'm biased.

mcclean hasn't really been in the game so far.

tricky_colour
26/05/2012, 2:31 PM

It's the Eurovision song contest tonight, I am quite surprised there are other matches which clash with it, could cause a bit of friction in some families!!
Jedward takes takes precedence!!