PDA

View Full Version : Tabloid exaggerations.....

Shelsman
13/08/2004, 4:48 PM
Has anybody else taken note of the Tabloid exaggerations? For example, in today's mirror in the eL section there is a headline of:

FANCY DONS TAUNT SHELS

The article starts off: 'Deportivo defender Cesar Martin has kick-started a war of words with Shelbourne by insisting the Spanish giants will easily beat the Irish champions in two weeks time.'

They derived the above from his comments: "....we expect to beat Shelbourne in the Riazor. We are capable of doing that."

Where did they get the EASILY and INSIST part?

Furthermore, the Mirror states that 'Mauro Silva was patronising in his praise for Pat Fenlon's team - dismissing their technique.'

They derived this from his comment: "Technically they are not an incredible team but they are noble and work hard."

Does that sound patronising to you? Sounds like a compliment to me, and I can't see any part where they dismiss Shels' technique.

It was the same kind of misquoting that went on in the tabloids before the Hadjuk Split second leg for the Croat players. Talking about twisting peoples words! :rolleyes:

pineapple stu
14/08/2004, 1:34 AM
I saw that alright - tabloids ignoring the facts to get in the headline they want again. Load of b0llocks... :mad:

yur man
14/08/2004, 3:26 AM
commercial journalism at its best

onceahoop
15/08/2004, 11:57 AM
commercial journalism at its best
Or worst. When did paper ever get in the way of the truth