PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Giants of the League of Ireland

Pages : [1] 2

Cuyahoga
19/05/2012, 2:28 PM
Who are the sleeping giants of the L.O.I .
The definition of a sleeping Giant is a team with a large fanbase which has enjoyed periods of dominance but now find themselves struggling for success and silverware. I know who I feel are the sleeping giants of the league but I would like to hear what other people think.

Sam_Heggy
19/05/2012, 2:53 PM
Salthill and Mervue.

Guinney
19/05/2012, 3:22 PM
Dundalk FC, great history, sadly we are at rock bottom now.

adamd164
19/05/2012, 3:40 PM
Limerick should have major potential, having said that they've never been dominant and they don't have much of a fanbase as things stand. I would like them to build things up and get a proper Munster derby going next year. Our games against them last year were always full blooded.

Finlay Harp
19/05/2012, 3:45 PM
All teams with money and success have the ability to be 'sleeping giants' due to the fickle nature of the Irish football supporter!

bluewhitearmy
19/05/2012, 4:57 PM
Who are the sleeping giants of the L.O.I .
The definition of a sleeping Giant is a team with a large fanbase which has enjoyed periods of dominance but now find themselves struggling for success and silverware. I know who I feel are the sleeping giants of the league but I would like to hear what other people think.

In that case no-one really.

Cuyahoga
19/05/2012, 5:04 PM
In that case no-one really.
' Large Fan Base' is meant relative to League of Ireland. I think Athlone Town are the Sleeping Giants of the league. Big town with a large population with a good tradition of soccer and were successful in the past.

bluewhitearmy
19/05/2012, 5:09 PM
' Large Fan Base' is meant relative to League of Ireland. I think Athlone Town are the Sleeping Giants of the league. Big town with a large population with a good tradition of soccer and were successful in the past.

This :p was supposed to be at the end of that post my bad.

CraftyToePoke
19/05/2012, 5:14 PM
Limerick tick a fair few of the boxes you outlined. The potential there is considerable.

What is the population of Athlone?

Cuyahoga
19/05/2012, 5:20 PM
I agree with you Limerick has the population, the third biggest city in the republic.If they get up for next season I think they can kick on from there.

bluewhitearmy
19/05/2012, 5:29 PM
I agree with you Limerick has the population, the third biggest city in the republic.If they get up for next season I think they can kick on from there.

You forget who our manager is.

SkStu
19/05/2012, 5:31 PM
The Bohs Will Rise Again.

CraftyToePoke
19/05/2012, 5:41 PM
The Bohs Will Rise Again.

If you consider what has happened to you of late as being a tumble, its as well for you that you weren't a Limerick fan at The Markets Field a generation ago and witness to the ensuing descent.

CraftyToePoke
19/05/2012, 5:43 PM
I agree with you Limerick has the population, I think they can kick on from there.

We will see.

Spudulika
19/05/2012, 5:44 PM
Dundalk would be the only ones I think, Athlone had a time with money and nobody else (bar Shels) would have had sustained periods of success. Plus Dundalk has a decent fanbase now and when winning can pack the place. Then again, the term giants....

nigel-harps1954
19/05/2012, 5:56 PM
Athlone has a population of 18,000 or something. Lovely stadium in a decent location, they should be much bigger than they are.

Limerick should be much bigger than they are too, but until such time as Markets Field is finished, I don't see the greater Limerick crowds coming to see them.

Dundalk also in theory should have more people following them, things just not going right there at the minute.

Harps should be much better than they are at the minute, few years as the 'nearly men' of promotion and relegation, now faded into obscurity, yet still have a faithful 400 or so sticking by the worst years this club has ever had.

A GUST team could come back and become very strong, only time will tell there. League of Ireland needs a strong Galway team.

St. Pats should have a bigger following, they shouldn't be happy sitting around 1,200 attendances each week.

Longford of course should be bigger, have one of the nicest grounds in the league when it's cleaned up. But just too far out of the town.

Wexford are one to watch out for if you ask me.

There's no 'sleeping giant' as such, rather a whole host of teams that should be bigger than they are. The next 5-10 years are massive for this league toward progression and widespread respect as such. A lot of teams investing in better facilities and with this, it should attract a few more fans and potential investors.
We'll just have to sit tight and wait and see how it plays out.

NeverFeltBetter
19/05/2012, 5:56 PM
If Limerick get promotion, they can take off. It is increasingly hard to see that happening though and I would be concerned that the team would have the capability to stay up if they went up, as it stands. Aside from that, Drogheda, Cork, Longford could all fit the bill.

Jofspring
20/05/2012, 11:13 AM
Going on the past you are probably talking about Limerick, Athlone and Dundalk. Waterford would have big potential if they became a top LOI team also. Finn Harps in a new stadium and good results means they could easily be a big club again.

With us the Markets Field would help but I don't think it is the be all for support. We started this season going from 800 to 900 and up to 1,200 fans and that was in Jackman. Shocking displays is what has sent us back in the other direction with crowds dropping from 1,200 down to 600 and again last week down to 450. Jackman Park wasn't a factor in it.

If lets say we got promoted and held our own next year with a few big results then I could see us having the bones of 1,500 to 2,000 regularly and if the likes of Cork were to bring 500- 600 up the road then you are talking getting around the 3,000 mark and maybe we could push on from there. If we go up and get results like Dundalk currently or Bohs then sadly our crowds will still be at the 1,000 mark max.

I do think if we can get near the top we could stay there for a long time though.

The only teams I can see with not much potential to be big clubs are:

Mervue
SD Galway (in the current guise or as Salthill Devon)
Wexford Youths
Monaghan
U.C.D

All have done well on merit but I can never see them being big clubs in the league.

redobit
20/05/2012, 11:57 AM
Im not so sure there is any 'giant' in this country or one in the wings either. Clubs tend to have good spells that can last for varying lengths. Ourselves and Shams have done well recently based on the end of the celtic tiger, geting our house in order and building on a fanbase that we knew was there. Dundalk, Limerick, Galway and Waterford all should have the potential to have the good spells, IF they can get things right.

culloty82
20/05/2012, 2:06 PM
In terms of comparison of past success with present reality, only Athlone and Waterford have spent extended spells outside the top-flight in the last decade. Limerick could be bracketed there also, but they've never really won the level of honours that would be expected in a city of its size.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
20/05/2012, 2:27 PM
In terms of comparison of past success with present reality, only Athlone and Waterford have spent extended spells outside the top-flight in the last decade. Limerick could be bracketed there also, but they've never really won the level of honours that would be expected in a city of its size.

Limerick have won more historically then Athlone

adamd164
20/05/2012, 3:14 PM
Everyone seems to think Athlone have historically won loads, it's probably mostly nostalgia for their European exploits against Milan in the 70s and their league winning side in the early 80s, but apart from that they've never been up to much. I guess it's also the fact that they're well regarded in the league and have a decent setup.

Must admit if I was handpicking an ideal spread of teams for the league, they'd be in there.

Sean South
20/05/2012, 4:57 PM
Limerick have won more historically then Athlone

But is the current "Limerick FC" the same club going back it 1937? Wasn't there a Limerick United, City and 37 at different stages?

harry crumb
20/05/2012, 5:37 PM
Limerick & Galway are the main 2.

Big catchment areas that have both been in the doldrums for too long.

bluewhitearmy
20/05/2012, 5:43 PM
But is the current "Limerick FC" the same club going back it 1937? Wasn't there a Limerick United, City and 37 at different stages?

Limerick 37 are the exact club that are there now just changed the name.

Spudulika
20/05/2012, 6:39 PM
Waterford, should have mentioned them. Albeit with backing and for a short enough spell, but they have the fan base and the ground.

Seems any club that can be considered always had a money person/family behind them for a wee while, then it went bang.

Schumi
20/05/2012, 6:47 PM
Limerick & Galway are the main 2.

Big catchment areas that have both been in the doldrums for too long.
I think Galway are well past sleeping at this stage unfortunately.

Jofspring
20/05/2012, 7:02 PM

I don't think that matters in this argument. This is about potential to be a big club which a senior club in limerick has whether it be Limerick 37, FC, Utd or City.

We have probably had the toughest time out of any current team in LOI in terms of success over the past 20years.

CSFShels
20/05/2012, 8:38 PM
We were, but we woke up.

CraftyToePoke
20/05/2012, 11:55 PM

Its the same club, different guises granted, but seen as the same club, and consistently drawing from, and recognized by the same support base which I feel is whats key, compared to what's happening in Terryland this year as an example of when that's not the case.

Lim till i die
21/05/2012, 1:03 AM
101 times the League Of Ireland has been competed for.

77 times the title has been won by a team from one of Irelands two largest cities.

So to call any provincial club a "sleeping giant" would be to over egg the pudding a small bit.

Having said that ourselves and about three more should be doing better.

If we ever get to a point where we're competing in the top half of the Premier for a few years we'll become a big club (by Irish standards) But you could say that about everyone bar three or four!

El-Pietro
21/05/2012, 7:40 AM

77 times the title has been won by a team from one of Irelands two largest cities.

I count 67. Are you including Drogheda and Dundalks 10 combined titles?

Schumi
21/05/2012, 10:55 AM
The league only started in the 20s too didn't it? So only 90-odd seasons.

Dodge
21/05/2012, 11:36 AM

So to call any provincial club a "sleeping giant" would be to over egg the pudding a small bit.

In fairness, 9 of the provincial wins were Dundalk. Only 3 clubs have won it more. A lot of perception is down to when people start following the league. For me, Dundalk is the 2nd biggest club in the league as they were always challngng (and therefore beating Pats) when I start going to games.

If anyone started supporting the league in mid 90s, they may have no clue that Dundalk, Limerick or Waterford were ever big (even in our terms)

(Oh and LTID's stats are wrong. There's been 91 champions; 57 Dublin teams, 10 Cork teams, 9 Dundalk, 6 Waterford, 2 Limerick, Athlone, Derry, Sligo, 1 Drogheda)

Guinney
21/05/2012, 12:00 PM
Cheers Dodge for sticking up for us small town folk :p

As far as I know Dundalk are the 2nd most successful side in terms of the amount of trophies won, with 49 trophies and the most successful provincial football club in Ireland. Rovers (17), Shels (13) & Bohs (11) only have won league titles than us with 9 titles. Only problem this great history we have didn't transcend into the modern era and most of the trophies won are well before my time. Hopefully one day we get back up as one of the top teams in the league, but at the moment the club is not in a great state on and off the artificial field.

Dodge
21/05/2012, 1:28 PM
Cheers Dodge for sticking up for us small town folk :pOh I'm not sticking up for you. I hope you rot

As far as I know Dundalk are the 2nd most successful side in terms of the amount of trophies won, with 49 trophies

Nationally Dundalk have won 9 leagues, 9 FAI Cups, 4 League Cups, 5 Dublin City Cups, 2 Top 4 cups and 2 LOI shields. I make that 31. Can't really count any of the LSC or President's Cup when comparing to other country teams

El-Pietro
21/05/2012, 1:34 PM
Nationally Dundalk have won 9 leagues, 9 FAI Cups, 4 League Cups, 5 Dublin City Cups, 2 Top 4 cups and 2 LOI shields. I make that 31. Can't really count any of the LSC or President's Cup when comparing to other country teams
If Dundalk are counting the LSC then we're counting our 16 MSCs. Which brings us to a healthy 25 trophies in 28 years

Guinney
21/05/2012, 1:40 PM
Oh I'm not sticking up for you. I hope you rot

Jeez thanks, by the looks of things at the moment you could be getting what you hope for.

Sean South
21/05/2012, 1:41 PM
Your club isn't around 28 years though.

Shannonsider
21/05/2012, 2:06 PM
I think Limerick are best suited to the term "Sleeping Giants". If promoted we should really take off. Traditionally a rugby town but with Munster Rugby on a decline and Limerick GAA in a pretty poor state, I seriously believe if Limerick are successful this season, Limerick soccer will take a massive step in the right direction. The club is doing great work in the community and it is no coincidence that a lot of the fanbase now come from areas such as Moyross, Southill and Weston. The Charity event yesterday in Shelbourne Park was great promotion for the club and as the club as been involved heavily in the regeneration areas it is no surprise that a large chunk of the growing fanbase come from these areas.

cheifo
21/05/2012, 2:09 PM
Ssssshh we're trying to get some kip up here in Finn Park.

Lim till i die
21/05/2012, 3:19 PM
A lot of perception is down to when people start following the league.

This is very true.

My dad started bringing me to games so I've kinda always looked at the league through the prism of his eyes.

As a result I always considered Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk to be by far the biggest clubs in the country.

Waterford would have been a much bigger club in my dads eyes than Bohs, Pats or Shels, all of whom my dad considered to be mere Dublin upstarts making hay while Rovers were going through a bad patch.

Drogheda were nobodies, Sligo were to be respected but were no bigger than ourselves, ditto Athlone. Cork were just another Cork team.

Whereas if I'd started going just off my own back at the same time I would have considered Pats, Shels, Bohs, Cork City to be the countries biggest clubs by far with sleeping giants in Rovers and Dundalk and dead ducks in Athlone and Waterford.

(Oh and LTID's stats are wrong. There's been 91 champions; 57 Dublin teams, 10 Cork teams, 9 Dundalk, 6 Waterford, 2 Limerick, Athlone, Derry, Sligo, 1 Drogheda)

In my defence it was 2am, I just carried an extra one somewhere. :)

Still though, the point is valid, especially if you take Dundalk out of the provincials aswell. "Sleeping giants" my ring!

Paddyfield
23/05/2012, 7:18 PM

Galway city has outgrown Limerick according to the Central Statistics Office to become third biggest city http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/population/populationofeachprovincecountyandcity2006/

I recall going to games in Rathbane (after they moved from Markets Field) in the late 80's when there were crowds in excess of 4000. Limerick City FC had outstanding players such as Tommy Gaynor, Johnny Matthews and Alec Ludzic. The potential is massive, especially if they move back to their spiritual home.

placid casual
23/05/2012, 7:25 PM
On many a Rovers away trip , both here and abroad,you'll always hear the odd rendition of "oh we hate Dundalk and we hate dundalk"
nuff said.

Lim till i die
23/05/2012, 9:13 PM
Galway city has outgrown Limerick according to the Central Statistics Office to become third biggest city http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/population/populationofeachprovincecountyandcity2006/

Sighs a tiny bit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corbally#Demographics)

Technicalities innit.

You are deluded, or simply unfamiliar with Limerick, if you think it has a smaller urban area than galway. The boundary issues are tediously well documented at this stage and are a large factor in the city centres slow death.

CSO city statistics make you technically correct you say?? Meh.

Actually can't believe I've gotten dragged in to the Galway v Limerick population windup again. :o

adamd164
23/05/2012, 11:26 PM
Cork were just another Cork team.

"The FAI's decision effectively disenfranchised the incumbent Limerick F.C. and its chairman Danny Drew, although the organisation remained receptive to the continued participation of Limerick within senior football. To this end, FAI chief executive John Delaney (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Delaney_(football_administrator)) openly solicited approaches from other interested parties within the city of Limerick even as he announced the rejection of Limerick F.C.'s appeal: "We want a healthy Limerick based club in the new Eircom League of Ireland and if interested entities seek a licence, we would assess them carefully for their suitability to meet the criteria required to play in the league."[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_F.C.#cite_note-licence-7) On January 3, 2007, the FAI confirmed that its appeal for Limerick-based applicants to the league had garnered interest from a number of parties, one of which identified itself as Soccer Limerick, a consortium purporting to represent the entire spectrum of Limerick football, from schoolboy to Junior (amateur) level, and operating under the auspices of the Limerick Sports Partnership.[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_F.C.#cite_note-8)

Eight days later, Soccer Limerick confirmed that its constituent committees had approved the submission of a formal application for a UEFA club license, with a view to gaining entry to the First Division of the National League for the 2007 season, with a team called Limerick 37, named after the year that the original club was founded. Soccer Limerick spokesman Ger Finnan confirmed that Limerick 37 planned to stage home fixtures at Jackman Park, headquarters of the LDMC, and would announce the appointment of a first-team manager on Monday January 15, 2007.[10] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_F.C.#cite_note-9) Paul McGee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McGee_(footballer_born_1954)) was subsequently appointed manager of Limerick 37, and signed 11 players before the start of the season.[11] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_F.C.#cite_note-10)"

drummerboy
24/05/2012, 12:01 AM
Getting back to sleeping giants, one former giant of the LOI, Drumcondra are on a upward curve again. They won promotion to the 2nd tier of the LSL, managed by Gary Howlett, ex Shels, Brighton and Ireland. They are now back playing in Morton Stadium again, after they were discomoded by those upstarts from Fingal. Not sure if they have any desires to go back to the national league.

NeverFeltBetter
24/05/2012, 12:13 AM
Whats their average attendence like?

nigel-harps1954
24/05/2012, 1:22 AM
Whats their average attendence like?

More than all the Galway teams put together.

Lim till i die
24/05/2012, 1:25 AM
adam jeez i was talking about my fathers perceptions is all, he would have been more used to hibs and celtic and whatnot so city never really registered with him.

read posts don't just scan for perceived slights, internet life is too short :)