PDA

View Full Version : Match Programme

Gerry Desmond
01/12/2001, 4:54 PM
The match programme for the FAI Cup game v Shamrock Rovers will cost £2. It will return to £1.50 for subsequent league games.

Gerry

joe
01/12/2001, 4:57 PM
Any particular reason?
Will there be more pages/colour?

Gerry Desmond
02/12/2001, 8:43 PM
Originally posted by joe
Any particular reason?
Will there be more pages/colour?

Yeah, Joe. There will be four more full colour pages, though two of those will be advertising/commercial. The plan is that this will apply ONLY to the UCD & Rovers games.

As a point of interest, would people pay 50p more every week if there was more colour? Just wondering about next season...

Gerry

shedite
02/12/2001, 8:48 PM
I don't know that the colour thing is so important. Quality rather than presentation. Programme has improved recently though. I always get them and love some of the general eL stuff like the new rules and stuff a few weeks back.

By the way, is the extra four pages just the pages with Harp on the front and then once you open it it's just a normal City programme inside?

Éanna
02/12/2001, 8:48 PM
Originally posted by Gerry Desmond

As a point of interest, would people pay 50p more every week if there was more colour? Just wondering about next season...

Gerry
I'd rather not.........

Gerry Desmond
02/12/2001, 8:54 PM
Originally posted by shedite
I don't know that the colour thing is so important. Quality rather than presentation. Programme has improved recently though. I always get them and love some of the general eL stuff like the new rules and stuff a few weeks back.

By the way, is the extra four pages just the pages with Harp on the front and then once you open it it's just a normal City programme inside?

There will be a Carlsberg Cover, ok, but the four colour pages will be the centre pages.

Gerry

Éanna
02/12/2001, 8:59 PM
Originally posted by shedite
I don't know that the colour thing is so important. Quality rather than presentation. Programme has improved recently though. I always get them and love some of the general eL stuff like the new rules and stuff a few weeks back.? Agreed. Quality over colour- and it's one of the best in the country. 2 euros maybe Gerry :D

joe
02/12/2001, 10:29 PM

There will be four more full colour pages, though two of those will be advertising/commercial.

can we get a full colour pull-out poster Gerry? Can we? Can we, huh? Please!

Don't think I'd pay 50p more. Having said that the Shels programme is £2 and content-wise it isn't up to the standard of the City one, though it does have four colour pages in the centre.
Seeing as how it's going to be about 10p more expensive when the euro changeover happens is there a need for a price rise next season?

Zedi
02/12/2001, 10:38 PM
Its well worth £2 as it is, four more pages would be great,feck the colour,just get some good articles and maybe a few comments/fotos of supporters ya know "a likley suspects " page. ;)

P.S I'm new to this internet stuff, can anyone tell me how to get rid of that dopey "Alexa" thing that keeps comin' up at the side of me screen? Permanantly!

Peadar
02/12/2001, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Zedi
just get some good articles and maybe a few comments/fotos of supporters ya know "a likley suspects " page. ;)

There's contact information for the editors within the programme and supporters are free and welcome to contribute articles and comments. I do my best to get photos for the lads of supporters but it would break my heart to picture guys wearing Liverpool and Celtic shirts and then ask Gerry to print them in the programme as Cork City FC supporters. And if those spoons from the Galway game, who told me that they'd "Burst" me for not taking their picture, are reading this you're lucky I didn't take your picture and use it in a request to have you removed from the ground for inappropriate behaviour. Celtic were playing in Glasgow that day not in Turners Cross.

Philo
03/12/2001, 3:34 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
Agreed. Quality over colour- and it's one of the best in the country. 2 euros maybe Gerry :D

I presume you mean content Éanna.

I think genuine fans will pay extra for a better, more informative programme, whilst impressionable kids will judge vfm to mean loads of colour pics. The only way to go with programmes at any club is to improve both these factors.

My quest for non-Junior status continues.

Bernie
03/12/2001, 7:58 AM
Just wondering will the programme be £2 aswell for the Derry game as this is the last one before the dreaded €uro.

BTW the rovers programme is also going for £2. Again more colour than substance. Even Damo's rantings weren't up to their usual high standard.

pete
03/12/2001, 9:31 AM
IMO the rovers programme was one of best ones on away travels this year. For 2 quid was full colour & a lot of articles in it. Ok so i may not have had much interest in the rovers under age reports but if a home supporter probably would.

Is it my nderstanding that the city programme is being ijcreased to 2 euro in the new year? Did i hear something before that clubs couldn't increase the cost of the programme mid season? As you may know Gerry the government have for the past year been very concerned with the rising level of inflation in this country. I don't think Charlie McGreedy will be too happy your adding to this ;)

Citymark
03/12/2001, 10:28 AM
Gerry,

I'd have no problem paying £2 for the program, so long as the extra 4 pages were mostly articles & not advertising. Maybe you should ask for supporters to write an article for a home match and see how it goes. I know 451 fanzine have being asking for contributions. Lot's of fans have expressed opinions on this forum, why not write an article?

as a total aside, there was a colour picture of Deccie Daly & O'Rourke (I think!) in last Saturdays Celtic program, it's actually quite good. It looks as if Deccie is about to flatten Jakie McNamara! There was also a paragraph on the City v Celtic match in July.

niamh
03/12/2001, 11:41 AM
The programme is class, one of the best on the league and I would pay the extra 50p for it on a permanent basis, but I usually don't get home for many home games during term time.

Troy.McClure
03/12/2001, 1:52 PM
The programme is great but why do we have to pay 25p extra for 2 pages with adds? I thought the purpose of adds were to get money to minimise the cost of the programme? :confused:

Gerry Desmond
03/12/2001, 2:14 PM
Originally posted by joe

Don't think I'd pay 50p more.
Seeing as how it's going to be about 10p more expensive when the euro changeover happens is there a need for a price rise next season?

You cheapskate, Joe!

I'm NOT saying there is gonna be an increase next season. Maybe there will, maybe not. That'll be decided sometime in the close season.

I just wanted to get some general feedback on the colour thing. Dave and myself are always fighting for it, but I wanted to know if a 50p hike would be acceptable or not.
Colour or quality? To me they are almost inseperable, the way prog production has gone. A well-written article, for instance, looks twice as good if colour presentation is used with it.

You guys watch a lot of B&W TV? :)

Basically, a step to a second colour, or partially to full colour costs more. I'm just trying to see if people would go 50p or not. I mean, usually it's just once a fortnight.

To put it another way: I wouldn't be keen on being involved if there was a 50p hike and NO improvement in the colour situation...

Gerry

Gerry Desmond
03/12/2001, 2:17 PM
Originally posted by Bernie
Just wondering will the programme be £2 aswell for the Derry game as this is the last one before the dreaded €uro.

BTW the rovers programme is also going for £2. Again more colour than substance. Even Damo's rantings weren't up to their usual high standard.

Bernie, I've been told and I've posted above that the prog will be returning to £1.50 for the Derry issue and afterwards. The £2 issue is for the Cup game only.

Gerry

Bernie
03/12/2001, 2:22 PM
Oh , fair enough.

Could get confusing.

Those programme sellers look fairly dim as it is.

Gerry Desmond
03/12/2001, 2:22 PM
Originally posted by pete

Is it my nderstanding that the city programme is being ijcreased to 2 euro in the new year? Did i hear something before that clubs couldn't increase the cost of the programme mid season?

Yeah, it'll cost €2 in January 2002. This represents an increase of between 7-8p per issue or 31/2 - 4p per week, if you want to look at it that way. I don't think it should seriously affect anyone's drinking habits...

Never heard before that club's couldn't increase the cost of a programme; where did you hear that, pete?

Gerry

pete
03/12/2001, 2:26 PM
I haven't seen you of your programmes for while now Gerry (better make the cup one a good one for me so ;) ) so comments probably a bit out of date......

Not wanting to go over all the advertising stuff, club organisation etc.. again but for 2 pounds i'd expect a full colour programme. $hels, Rovers & probably Pats are already offering this.

Crowds will definitely start increasing now we on verge of topping the table so the print run should be there to maintain it if club didn't cream off the advertsing money.

However personally i'd prefer content than colour but i'd guess content more a time thing + getting some contributers etc... whilst colour just a cash thing?

(i'm sure there a contradiction there somewhere)

Gerry Desmond
03/12/2001, 2:30 PM
Originally posted by Citymark
Gerry,

I'd have no problem paying £2 for the program, so long as the extra 4 pages were mostly articles & not advertising. Maybe you should ask for supporters to write an article for a home match and see how it goes. I know 451 fanzine have being asking for contributions. Lot's of fans have expressed opinions on this forum, why not write an article?

Well, the SC were supposed to have a regular page but they don't appear to have organised themselves...

451: you've asked supporters for contributions, how many have you had? I think most people underestimate writing, especially now that everybody's got a keyboard in front of them. It's bloody hard work. Anyone getting the programme regularly should have noticed that we've had contributors from all over the country this season, and a couple from abroad as well. If you wanna write it, and I think it's worth including in the programme, no question but I WILL use it. I made this suggestion before, however, and got an interesting riposte: 'Yeah, we do all the work and you take all the credit'. Paraphrasing there, but that was it basically.

Currently, Erika Twomey is writing youth match reports each issue. The openings are there, but it takes a bit of work.

Gerry

Gerry Desmond
03/12/2001, 2:38 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
The programme is great but why do we have to pay 25p extra for 2 pages with adds? I thought the purpose of adds were to get money to minimise the cost of the programme? :confused:

Well, these 'ads' are the club's own, so in effect they are not being paid for the. It's a 2-page spread on the merchandise available in the club shop.

Ads, of course, would bring in more revenue. Count the ads that are in each issue this season...it won't take you too long.

There will be 2 extra pages of colour photos in it. That's the best I can do in this situation...

As I've said, the £2 issue is a once-off. This is thread is like Scrooge Central, honestly.

Next week's game v UCD will also include the 4 colour pages and STILL be £1.50 if that's any consolation.

Anyway, I've explained it as best I can. Buy the prog v Rovers, or buy whatever you can get for 50p these days...

Gerry :(

James
03/12/2001, 2:42 PM

Buy the prog v Rovers, or buy whatever you can get for 50p these days...

Gerry :(

like a copy of 451 :D
only 50p

Gerry Desmond
03/12/2001, 2:47 PM
Originally posted by pete

Not wanting to go over all the advertising stuff, club organisation etc.. again but for 2 pounds i'd expect a full colour programme. $hels, Rovers & probably Pats are already offering this.

Crowds will definitely start increasing now we on verge of topping the table so the print run should be there to maintain it if club didn't cream off the advertsing money.

However personally i'd prefer content than colour but i'd guess content more a time thing + getting some contributers etc... whilst colour just a cash thing?

(i'm sure there a contradiction there somewhere)

Pats programme is superb. It's superb because the commercial end of it is sorted. The City programme, by comparison, is not organised. I know that, the club knows that and anyone with one eye can see that. i'm not getting into the reasons for it here, but that is the way it is.

I actually think our content is better than than the Pats programme. However, if you were to place them side by side and ask people which they thought was better, I've no doubt but we'd be looking at an embarrassing result from our point of view.
They have produced a product to be proud of, something that reflects the professional ability of the club - and as a result it is a commercial earner for the club too. We have no budget to work with, and the advertising revenue is minimal because it hasn't been sourced. The programme is fying on one wing if you like.

Personally, I aspire to a more professional production, Dave does too. But we can only work with what we've got. What we've got is limits on what we can do.

Gerry

Gerry Desmond
03/12/2001, 2:49 PM
Originally posted by James

like a copy of 451 :D
only 50p

Touché, Yank!

Ilen Rovers won, BTW, if you haven't already heard.

Gerry

James
03/12/2001, 2:55 PM
Gerry I know you do the best you can under the tight constraints you find yourself under and indeed the quality has IMO improved dramatically over the years....but ( and theres always a but ) would i be right in saying that sales havent matched this.

Also a while back when we were discussing this before, you pleaded and asked the critcis of the programme to come out and buy it, then the club could afford to go colour...

Now Gerry for the first time above you have mentioned that it is a product, so from that viewpoint outside of football and as a product being sold to a target market..it osunds to me like you were asking customers to buy an inferior product so that the money raised from this could go into increasing quality ( ie colour)... that makes no sense to me whatsoever...now shouldnt it be the other way around..the club or whoever is selling a product invests in producing a quality product and takes the risk that it sells..not the other way around

James
03/12/2001, 2:56 PM

Touché, Yank!

Gerry

yea Gerry I know was on the phone home most of yesterday..would give anything to be there..the parish has gone mad.. :D

O Donavan Rossa's watch out
Ilen Rovers County Junior Champs 2001

Pablo
03/12/2001, 2:59 PM
hey gerry, isnt there an EU law that say yoy have to give the Euro rate of the old Irish Price? you can round up to the nearest Euro tut tut :D

pete
03/12/2001, 3:13 PM
We probably going over all old stuff again but to be brief (for once ;) ).

Since the club has a low enough profile around the city & the only thing most people see of the club is the team, the ground & the programme then the programme is a reflection on the clubs ambitions & professionalism.

I agree with you on the commerical side Gerry & i'm sure theres very little you can do about that. Suppose its back to the Board again...

I wonder hypothetically if i owned a business & wanted to advertise around the pitch or in the programme how difficulot it would be for me to do this.....we getting into a pointless discussion now i suppose...

BTW keep up the good work Gerry, a thankless task i'm sure.

joe
03/12/2001, 5:34 PM

Yeah, it'll cost €2 in January 2002. This represents an increase of between 7-8p per issue or 31/2 - 4p per week, if you want to look at it that way. I don't think it should seriously affect anyone's drinking habits...

it's still an increase in price for the same product, which is apparently illegal according to the changeover board, is it not?

it doesn't look like the club have a transparent changeover policy does it?

how much will they be charging to get into games in the new year? or will they justify any price rise by saying the quality of product has improved :D

jbrazil
03/12/2001, 5:49 PM
Originally posted by James

Gerry

O Donavan Rossa's watch out
Ilen Rovers County Junior Champs 2001

in fairness they were far better than kinsale. kinsale haven't won the county championship in something like 75 years now!!! :mad: :rolleyes:

James
03/12/2001, 5:53 PM
course we were :D
but we as a club are only less then 30 years old
we only won our first west cork less then 5 years ago ( possibly 6 my memory sucks..there was alot of drinking that summer).. and we had already lost a county final against youghal and were dumped out last year in the semi..so alot of people reckoned ilen couldnt keep up the pace of non stop championship for 4 years in a row..but fair play to the lads..and fpr such a small small club with such a limited but exceptionally gifted and determined panal

MAGIC :D

wish i was home right now

Éanna
03/12/2001, 6:25 PM
if there's an increase in colour and the cost goes up to pay for it fair enough. I just don't like the idea of forking out more money for ads!

Gerry Desmond
03/12/2001, 9:30 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
if there's an increase in colour and the cost goes up to pay for it fair enough. I just don't like the idea of forking out more money for ads!

That's a fair point, Éanna; I wouldn't fancy being a part of that either.

From my point of view for the production to step up its presentation advertising revenue is required. Colour ads, for instance, could go a long way to help produce a full colour programme. Trust me, I'm getting photos now from Paul and Peadar and B&W does them little justice...
Plus with colour, tabulated anorak stuff is transformed...

I can tell ya here and now I wouldn't expect fans to cough up more dosh just to see the ads step up to colour. It's a balancing thing, however. You can't have one without the other.

I would like to remind everybody that the 50p increase is just for ONE issue only, while the extra colour will be in TWO programmes. It'll hardly be recorded among Life's great rip-offs.

Gerry

Gerry Desmond
03/12/2001, 9:33 PM
Originally posted by joe

it's still an increase in price for the same product, which is apparently illegal according to the changeover board, is it not?

So when can prices ever be increased again; does ANYONE know? :D

Gerry

Schumi
04/12/2001, 11:12 AM

I would like to remind everybody that the 50p increase is just for ONE issue only, while the extra colour will be in TWO programmes.

Does that mean that us scabby student types will get a colour programme for £1.50 on Sunday?

pete
04/12/2001, 11:14 AM
Never heard before that club's couldn't increase the cost of a programme; where did you hear that, pete?

Can't remember, maybe just pub talk?

Gerry Desmond
04/12/2001, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Schumi

Does that mean that us scabby student types will get a colour programme for £1.50 on Sunday?

We took that into full consideration, Schumi! We'd hate to drop six copies... :D

But, just to be clear - the covers and centre pages will be full colour, the remainder B&W.

Gerry

Zedi
04/12/2001, 11:19 PM
Stick it up the ten bob, if theres an extra few articles and fotos in it. At the minute its wan of the best programmes in the country, and thats coming from an anorak in Glasgow who collects programmes (i send him wan every fortnite).People are cribbin' about the cost !? I have to pay £1 for "de Paper" just to get a poxy 20/30 lines on away games.

P.S I can't get multi, does anyone tape the games, I'd gladly pay for it.

P.P.S I still have that "alexa" how do I dump it, PLEEEEEEEESE!