PDA

View Full Version : Macken in Ireland squad!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Bowsy
12/08/2004, 3:12 PM
I know this had previously been touted about but I'm pretty surprised by this inclusion.

http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=13651&mainheading=Republic+of+Ireland&viewstory=yes

tetsujin1979
12/08/2004, 3:14 PM
from fai.ie -

Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr today announced that Jonathan Macken of Manchester City has been added to the squad for Ireland’s match versus Bulgaria on Wednesday August 18.

The former Preston attacker who was signed by Manchester City for Stg5 million in March 2002 has today been cleared by FIFA to play for the Republic of Ireland. Although Macken had previously played just once for England at U20 level – on June 20 1997 versus the UAE in the World Youth Championships for 27 minutes as a substitute – he played no other level for England. Under a change of FIFA rules, players who have not played in a full international game can play for a different country, provided they were entitled to nationality of that country at the time they played at underage level.

In Jonathan’s case he was eligible to play for Ireland through his grandparents and is the holder of an Irish passport. He was anxious to make himself available for selection for Ireland and over recent months, the FAI submitted the required documentation to FIFA along with Jonathan’s testaments requesting his clearance. The FAI has been in constant contact with FIFA since then and that clearance has been made available today.

Manager Brian Kerr said today: “I’m delighted to add Jonathan to the squad for Bulgaria. Once I became aware of his possible eligibility and desire to play for Ireland I have monitored his form closely. His appearances at Manchester City have been limited by injuries but in the latter part of the season he was impressive when I saw him on a few occasions. He has a good goal scoring record and links the play well from an attacking position. From our first meeting Jonathan’s Irish connections and links were very clear to me and his desire to be considered for our squad and to implement the process of clearing his eligibility has been impressive. His clearance to play for us gives us another attacking option for the games we face over the next two years.”

Jonathan Macken said: “I’m delighted to hear that I have been cleared to play for Ireland and that Brian Kerr has selected me for the squad for the game against Bulgaria. It is an amazing honour for me and my family and I look forward to justifying my selection if given a chance in the game. I would like to thank Brian and the FAI for the manner in which they have pursued my case with FIFA. I have always had a desire to play for the country of my family background and nationality but until now have never been given the opportunity. The change of rule has been beneficial to me and it is fair to players like myself who were not selected for the country of their nationality at underage level.

“I’m looking forward to joining up with what is a fantastic squad and over the next two years will be doing my utmost to establish my place in the team for the World Cup qualifiers.”

As a City fan I'm delighted to have another Irish player on the books. Jon's an excellent finisher and easily should have got a run in the side following some fine performances last season, just injury and Robbie Fowler restricted to the bench. He's nicked a few in preseason, so let's hope he can go on and claim a first team place.

Whatever about his desire to play for Ireland, I really do hope the fans get behind him.

pete
12/08/2004, 3:14 PM
Another granny rule mercenary. :(

I say play Connolly, Morrison & Macken together! What a trio!

Bowsy
12/08/2004, 3:19 PM
I always thought Connolly's parents were from Galway. Maybe I'm wrong. I do agree that Macken is just looking to play International football though and hasn't grown up believing he's irish depite his declarations.

tiktok
12/08/2004, 3:20 PM

He has an irish passport though, and the effort to declare seems to be going on for an age, any chance it's not a career move? :confused:

Bowsy
12/08/2004, 3:22 PM
Sorry Tetsujin must have posted at same time as you. Agree he's a good player but his desire is somewhat dubious. I don't think anyone will give him a hard time provided he gives his all. Won't be the first person of dubious Irishness to wear the green. It's always mixed emotions for me however when someone declares just to get an international cap.

carnstien
12/08/2004, 3:27 PM
I'm not sure Macken will offer us anything we don't already have. From what I've seen of him, and I've only seen him play about twice, he looks a poor finisher, but he is young and you never know.

He is nowhere near the class of someone like Robbie Keane, but at least he will provide another option to Morrison.

Bowsy
12/08/2004, 3:30 PM
was prolific for Preston and City paid £5M for him. Had a tough time with injuries though. All round game is pretty good but finishing was a little haphazard last season.

Slash/ED
12/08/2004, 5:07 PM
this is taking the ****, whatever about weather he should be available to Ireland or not, he's absolutley useless! I can't believe were considering him, it's an embarassment.

pineapple stu
12/08/2004, 5:15 PM
I always thought Connolly's parents were from Galway.

Think you're right there. He used to go to Croker to watch Galway a fair bit as well. Think he spent the summers in Galway.

eirebhoy
12/08/2004, 5:35 PM

I say play Connolly, Morrison & Macken together! What a trio!
Connolly is 100% Irish and made his debut at 18.

If you asked Macken his nationality he would tell you he's Irish. He has an Irish passport years. He is almost 27 years of age so its hardly a move to boost his career. I don't know why he played for England U-20's when called up but he was only 19 at the time and 27 minutes is hardly much.

Slash/Ed, if he was born in Ireland I am sure you wouldn't be questioning his inclusion. He's definitely the best option we have to partner Keane and he can actually score goals with his head. :eek: Morrison has played 32 more Premiership games than him and only has 4 more goals.

eoinh
12/08/2004, 5:44 PM
Daft after the events of last night. i wouldnt pick him anyway because he played for another country first whatever that country was.

Pablo
12/08/2004, 5:52 PM
i'd prefer to have an all Irish team and be hammered(though we wouldnt be) than have a return to Charltons Mercenary days.

One of the reasons i cant get into supporting ireland (with passion i mean) is this granny rule caper.

As much as i dislike Shels Jason Byrne should have got the call

Slash/ED
12/08/2004, 6:00 PM
Slash/Ed, if he was born in Ireland I am sure you wouldn't be questioning his inclusion. He's definitely the best option we have to partner Keane and he can actually score goals with his head. :eek: Morrison has played 32 more Premiership games than him and only has 4 more goals.

Wrong, as if you read my psots you'll see I'm actually a Clinton Morrison fan. Macken is just ****e. How many goals has he got since his move to City a while back? How many games has he even played? Are we really so bad that we have to rely on calling up reserve players? Him being called up is an embarassment, anyone who can't get near their own sides team shouldn't be considered.

eirebhoy
12/08/2004, 6:13 PM
i'd prefer to have an all Irish team and be hammered(though we wouldnt be) than have a return to Charltons Mercenary days.
Macken is Irish. Morrison and Holland are probably the only non-Irish players playing for Ireland.

Wrong, as if you read my psots you'll see I'm actually a Clinton Morrison fan. Macken is just ****e.
So just because you're a Morrison fan means I'm wrong? :confused: He hasn't played a lot for City but he's up against Anelka, Wanchope and Fowler for a place and had his fair share of injuries. He scored 6 goals for City, Morrison has only scored 10 for Birmingham and has played 3 times as many games. Macken can head a ball, Morrison just can't.

Slash/ED
12/08/2004, 6:17 PM
So just because you're a Morrison fan means I'm wrong? :confused:

Yes, because you made a blind assumption that the reason I didn't like him was because he wasn't Irish, when I've no problem with that as proved by the fact I like Morrison who's about as Irish as an Irish themed pub.

And no matter who he's up against if he can't get near the City team it's nothing short of an embarassment that we're calling on him.

Plastic Paddy
12/08/2004, 6:21 PM
Think you're right there. He used to go to Croker to watch Galway a fair bit as well. Think he spent the summers in Galway.

I can vouch for his credentials as I used to be his football team's coach when he was a schoolboy. His auld fella is from Gort and David and, as you rightly point out, his sister Caroline used to spend their summers making the same journey over as made by most 2G kids.

:D PP

eirebhoy
12/08/2004, 6:24 PM
I am 100% sure if Macken was born in Ireland to Irish parents he would have got a call up at some time and nobody would be questioning his inclusion.

And no matter who he's up against if he can't get near the City team it's nothing short of an embarassment that we're calling on him.
Morrison is behind Forssell and Heskey (for the time being anyway) so i assume its also an embarrasment to call him up. Alan Lee is only in the Cardiff team because of an injury to one of Cardiff's strikers, another embarrasment. :rolleyes:

Slash/ED
12/08/2004, 6:29 PM
Morrison is behind Forssell and Heskey (for the time being anyway) so i assume its also an embarrasment to call him up. Alan Lee is only in the Cardiff team because of an injury to one of Cardiff's strikers, another embarrasment. :rolleyes:

Alan Lee being called up regularly is an embarassment if he can't get his game for Cardiff yeah, and Morrison has been a regular for Birmingham since his arrival there, a bit different to Macken who's fourth choice striker at City, if even that. How can you call up a player who can't get a game for a **** poor premiership side?

eirebhoy
12/08/2004, 6:51 PM
How can you call up a player who can't get a game for a **** poor premiership side?
It doesn't matter what premiership club he's at, its the player he's up against for a place. Morrison would certainly not get a game ahead of the 3 City players mentioned. Macken would definitely get his game ahead of Stern John.

Here's a bit about all his injuries since City signed him in 2002:

He scored his first goal for the club in his first appearance as a substitute at Bradford. He came on for the final ten minutes slotting home with ease minutes after heading against the upright.

Scored again in his first start in the local derby defeat at Stockport County before claiming a brace in the home win over Barnsley.

A pre season injury to his knee denied him the chance to stake a claim in the squad for the opening games of the Premiership campaign. In early September he underwent an operation to remove some floating bone from the injured knee. He was ruled out of contention for two months.

Returned to action in January scoring in his second outing for the reserves. Came on as substitute in City's defeat at Newcastle but had a further setback with a injury to his thigh before regaining fitness in mid February.

Hit by injury once again when tweaking a hamstring when playing for the reserves at the end of February.

He rcovered in time to make four appearances from the bench towards the end of the season.

Started out on the bench and made his first start in the Blues 2-0 win over TNS in the qualifying round of the Uefa Cup. But was taken off with an ankle injury setting back his chances of forcing his way into the squad.

A subsequent foot injury forced him on the sidelines again, but remains hopeful that he will get a chance to prove himself at the top level with the Blues.

He came back to score in two matches for the reserves before getting his first goal of the season when he was a second half substiute in the Blues Carling Cup win over QPR.

He also had a double hernia operation at the end last season.

Slash/ED
12/08/2004, 6:55 PM
It doesn't matter what premiership club he's at, its the player he's up against for a place. Morrison would certainly not get a game ahead of the 3 City players mentioned. Macken would definitely get his game ahead of Stern John.

Anelka, Wanchope and Fowler!? Anelka is quality, fair enough, the other two are pretty useless at this stage to be fair. If he can get into the City team then fair enough otherwise no. If we have to cap fourh choice strikers we may aswell give up.

Plastic Paddy
12/08/2004, 7:06 PM
Anelka, Wanchope and Fowler!? Anelka is quality, fair enough, the other two are pretty useless at this stage to be fair. If he can get into the City team then fair enough otherwise no. If we have to cap fourh choice strikers we may aswell give up.

The debate is academic. He's satisfied Brian Kerr that he's worthy of a place and under FIFA regulations he qualifies to play for Ireland. I feel we have to be pragmatic here. Macken obviously wants to pull on a green shirt now and in doing so increases our options at a time when we could use them. Let's see how he does.

eirebhoy
12/08/2004, 7:14 PM
You have to be joking if you think Morrison would be any better than 4th choice at City. Ok, you admit Anelka would be ahead of him. Wanchope has scored 27 goals in 51 starts (13 sub appearances) for City, He also has 36 international goals. Fowler may not have had the best of seasons last year but he still scored twice as many as Clinton.

Macken is just as good, if not better than Morrison, its as simple as that. Unless you can provide evidence to prove otherwise you have no case. He certainly has the attributes to form a better partnership with Robbie.

tiktok
12/08/2004, 7:14 PM
Anelka, Wanchope and Fowler!? Anelka is quality, fair enough, the other two are pretty useless at this stage to be fair.

Wait a week and see if this won't read similar for Morrison Slash/Ed.... ;)
Forsell, Heskey and John!? Forsell is quality, fair enough, the other two are pretty useless at this stage to be fair

I'm with PP on this. There have been enough threads lamenting our lack of striking talent, he seems genuine in his desire to play for us (to me anyway) so I say give him a shot

Slash/ED
12/08/2004, 7:19 PM
Macken is just as good, if not better than Morrison, its as simple as that. Unless you can provide evidence to prove otherwise you have no case. He certainly has the attributes to form a better partnership with Robbie.

Morrisons consistently held down a regular place in a premiership side and played well and scored at international level. Macken has failed spectacularly to do the first part and I seriously doubt he can do the second part. Morrison didn't score many last year but he actually played very well by all accounts, I remember Savage calling him Birminghams most important player. Macken is a reserve striker.

Not to bring up the argument of the merits of the EL yet again but Jason Byrne should be in there long before Macken aswell, as should Heffernan.

I have no problem with his "Irishness" or his willingness to play for us. I have problems with his lack of ability, not only can he not get within an asses roar of a regular place in the City team anytime I've seen him he's been dire.

eirebhoy
12/08/2004, 8:12 PM
S/E, why can't you understand that his injuries have prevented him from becoming a first team player?

He joined Man City in March 2002 and played in the City's last 8 games of the season, scoring 5. He then injured his knee in pre-season. He came back in January 2003 (he hadn't played since April 2002) and in his first game back he injured himself again and didn't play until April. So, injury forced him to only playing 1 match for a full year. He injured himself once again during pre-season of 2003/2004 and missed the first 2 months of the season. During this year and a half any player would find it hard to get back into a team containing Anelka, Fowler and Wanchope.

Macken's first start for City since April 2002 came against Leicester in January 2004, he scored. He played in 14 (started 7) of City's 21 remaining matches.

Doing that bit of research I have realised that he isn't behind any other striker (except possibly Anelka) at this moment in time.

Give him a chance and see how he does.

Slash/ED
12/08/2004, 8:28 PM
S/E, why can't you understand that his injuries have prevented him from becoming a first team player?

Like I've said, if he gets in the team then fair enough, he could be a good player for us, if he's fourth choice striker at a **** poor premiership club yet again then us relying on him is an embarassment. I'd like to see him actually break into the side before actually calling him up but if he does get his game this year then he'll add something to the side.

eirebhoy
12/08/2004, 8:52 PM
Like I've said, if he gets in the team then fair enough
Barrett, Doc, Colgan and Lee all played bit parts for their clubs last season. Finnan, Miller, Quinn and Morrison are all far from guaranteed a place in the first team for their clubs this season. Macken is just as much a part of the team as any Man City forward. He also had a very good pre-season scoring 3 goals and definitely has a chance of starting this weekend.

Barna Bee
12/08/2004, 8:57 PM
This guy has more quality then morrison or ratboy(who i rate the better of the 2).

I saw him for City against Spurs last season and he scored the injury time winner in the Worthington Cup to knock out Spurs after they came back from 3-0 down.

Maken was the man that night ....make no mistake.

just the right player to partner Robbie in my opinion.

Give him a chance.

1MickCollins
12/08/2004, 10:35 PM
For the record he scored 21 goals for Preston in 2000/2001, 15 in 2001/2002 ( 5 for City ) and out for a whole season and 4 goals last year for City.

He was born in England of English parents so I have no doubt he always has considered himself English. But once he scores for Ireland and does his best we will forget all that as we always do and why not?

Is he better than Connolly? or Lee? or Morrison? - these questions don't really make any sense. He will be given a job to do and lets see whats he makes of it.

eirebhoy
12/08/2004, 10:47 PM
He was born in England of English parents so I have no doubt he always has considered himself English.
I wouldn't be too sure.

"I have always had a desire to play for the country of my family background and nationality but until now have never been given the opportunity."

He also has an Irish passport which means he puts his nationality down as Irish on forms contracts, etc.
Why does he have an Irish passport if he considers himself English? It wouldn't make it any easier for him to get into the Irish squad by having an Irish passport so I assume he has it a long time.

There are players in the Ireland squad that would class themself as English but I have a feeling he considers himself Irish.

BTW, Brian is just like any of us and won't take any prisoners trying to boost their rep. He had a few meetings with Macken which I'm sure is not the case with Irish born players.

1MickCollins
12/08/2004, 11:04 PM
How long has he had the Irish Passport? He doesn't need an Irish passport to visit the auld sod, there is only one reason an Englishman would get an Irish passport that I can think of.

And I'm not knocking him or anyone else, I have no objection to him being in the Ireland Squad, but as far as I am concerned he is English.

eirebhoy
12/08/2004, 11:21 PM
If you asked me yesterday if I wanted Macen in the Ireland squad I would have said no (he could have been the best player in the world for all I cared) but as soon as he was included I try to convince myself he's Irish. I hate having English players like Morrison and McAteer in the team (an no, I don't class Kilbane, Connolly, O'Brien and others as English). Why do these players want to play for Ireland though? If I had an English, French, Scottish or Chinese granny there is no way I'd play for anyone but Ireland even if there wasn't a hope of me getting a call up.

I'm still not sure whether to class Macken as "English" yet though. :)

tiktok
13/08/2004, 7:43 AM
there is only one reason an Englishman would get an Irish passport that I can think of.

There's no need for an Englishman to get an Irish passport, but maybe he considers himself an Irishman and he wanted an irish passport.

carnstien
13/08/2004, 8:39 AM
I hate having English players like Morrison and McAteer in the team
Jaysus scan, keep your head down and your boots on, I got slated for calling those players "non-Irish", I hope you have a good life assurance policy.

On another note, I can't see why anyone would begrudge Macken his place in the squad. It is fair to say that he is not that good and he would probably rather be playing for England, but who cares? We need ALL the striking options we can get and thats the bottom line.

Plastic Paddy
13/08/2004, 9:11 AM
Jaysus scan, keep your head down and your boots on, I got slated for calling those players "non-Irish", I hope you have a good life assurance policy.

:D

We need ALL the striking options we can get and thats the bottom line.

Amen to that.

Condex
13/08/2004, 9:31 AM
Macken being selected for Ireland just goes to show how poor we are up front.

Apart from Keane and McGeady(in a couple of years) we have no one with any quality.

1) Connolly - consistenly crap
2) Doherty - not a footballer a cart-horse
3) Lee - an average 1st div player
4) Elliott - not even sure he'll make it as a 1st div player
5) Morrison - couldn't score in whor* house

Macy
13/08/2004, 9:34 AM
What reason would an Irishman have for playing for England? All very well coming out with this once he's picked....

I had hoped that Kerr was above this type of thing. No issue with Connolly as it was never a question (he's just shíte), but I have no respect for the likes of Morrison and Holland who chose to play for "the republic".

Bowsy
13/08/2004, 10:27 AM
4) Elliott - not even sure he'll make it as a 1st div player

Why? Because you saw him play poorly against Coventry? 20 yrs old. Top Scorer for Man City Reserves. Prolific at underage level. FIFA under 20 all star team. 2 half games for Sunderland, 1 fantastic goal.

Pablo
13/08/2004, 10:33 AM
thats another thing there is no country called "the republic" last time i checked............spot the mercenary when you hear this

eirebhoy
13/08/2004, 11:09 AM
What reason would an Irishman have for playing for England?
The same reason an Englishman would want to play for Ireland, career progression. He was only 19 at the time and was far from guaranteed his career would ever begin as he hadn't played a 1st team game. What better way to get your career going than by playing in the world youth championships?

No, you got slated because everyone thought you were calling all the English born players English. I think its safe to say that Morrison and Holland are English. O'Brien, Breen, Kilbane, Connolly, McCarthy are all Irish.

Pablo
13/08/2004, 11:23 AM
The same reason an Englishman would want to play for Ireland, career progression. He was only 19 at the time and was far from guaranteed his career would ever begin as he hadn't played a 1st team game. What better way to get your career going than by playing in the world youth championships?

No, you got slated because everyone thought you were calling all the English born players English. I think its safe to say that Morrison and Holland are English. O'Brien, Breen, Kilbane, Connolly, McCarthy are all Irish.

Didnt Andy O'Brien play u21 for Ingerland?

Bowsy
13/08/2004, 11:31 AM
Didnt Andy O'Brien play u21 for Ingerland?

Nope, played u21 for Ireland.

Pablo
13/08/2004, 11:34 AM
Nope, played u21 for Ireland.
i'm pretty sure he played for ingerland underage

Bowsy
13/08/2004, 11:35 AM
i'm pretty sure he played for ingerland underage

It's true, honest guv'nor. Made his senior debut in 2001 before the ruling and played u21 for Ireland. Check it out on the FAI website if you don't believe me.

eirebhoy
13/08/2004, 11:35 AM
Andy O'Brien had a choice of playing for Ireland or England and, after deliberating over the issue as a teenager, he eventually selected Ireland and was a regular member of Ireland's Under 21 panel until Mick McCarthy called him into the senior panel during the summer of 2001.

Pablo
13/08/2004, 11:42 AM
But he did play for england u21 against France in february 1999

Bowsy
13/08/2004, 11:49 AM
But he did play for england u21 against France in february 1999

Where you getting this info from. He made his debut in 2001. The ruling that u21 players could change nationality came in last year. This means he has been playing for ireland illegally until this ruling

eirebhoy
13/08/2004, 11:49 AM
your actually right:

In February 1999, O'Brien played in a friendly against France at Pride Park but when Taylor offered him the chance in England's next competitive outing, O'Brien demurred and took time out to ponder his international future. He was flattered by the English attention but he was aware of his Irish roots - his grandparents Danny and Kathleen O'Brien had moved from Kilfinnane in south-west Limerick to look for work in the mills of Yorkshire - and two months after his English debut, he played for Ireland in an under-21 friendly against Sweden in Birr.

People approach him now and wonder, what with his upwardly mobile status, if he regrets the decision. "I say no. It wasn't really close. I only played against France because it was a friendly and there was pressure from the club's point of view because they think it's more prestigious to play for England than for Ireland." He has no doubts. He travelled to Kilfinnane with his father last summer and the experience overwhelmed him. "Just picking up a few pieces of my past," he said.

eirebhoy
13/08/2004, 11:54 AM
davros, do you actually think McAteer considers himself Irish? I love McAteer but I'm pretty sure he considers himself English.