PDA

View Full Version : If Only????

phillyla*ger
12/08/2004, 2:29 PM
If our run had been in the uefa cup instead of intertoto, the el would have gained 2.333 co eff points this year with possibly still more to come.....that would probably mean we'd move up about 5 places in the rankings. A small point really, but surely this bodes well for the future of the EL. I cant see any reason why this seasons results cant be repeated over the next couple of years esp since two teams have had great runs.
Makes you wonder If only Bohs and Longford had their S**t together! Bohs had no excuse for failing so miserably and the fact that it cost Kenny his job just shows that at least they thought so themselves. Cant ever remember an el club letting their gaffer go on the back of a european defeat. think it wouldve been unheard of until recently, but to me it shows a growing sense of ambition across the league. As for Longford, well i know it was unknown territory and all that but when you put their losses, home and away into context with other results this year. It really was inexcusable. The old sense of "here, well have a trip away this year" has to go! And i for one am optimistic things are moving in the right direction. What dye think?

Peadar
12/08/2004, 2:32 PM
As for Longford, well i know it was unknown territory and all that but when you put their losses, home and away into context with other results this year. It really was inexcusable. The old sense of "here, well have a trip away this year" has to go! And i for one am optimistic things are moving in the right direction. What dye think?

That's always going to be a problem when you have a UEFA Cup spot for the FAI Cup.
Shels have at least 3 more games left so we may get a few more coefficient points yet.

pete
12/08/2004, 3:10 PM
Without being too pessimistic i thinkmwe would have had harder run in UEFA Cup as much more serious competition - City realised in Inter Toto that no huge pressure evn if they lost.

Signs are good though cos now eL clubs just being pipped by odd goal aggregate & Bohs & Shels have won ties as opposed to the moral draws at home or whatever in the past.

FAI Cup is becoming a major jinx though both at home & in Europe.

Troy.McClure
12/08/2004, 3:12 PM
As for Longford, well i know it was unknown territory and all that but when you put their losses, home and away into context with other results this year. It really was inexcusable.

Damn right, no eL club should ever loose to a team from Lichenstein!

I think that with the exception of Corks results + Shels/Depor, the other results have been pathetic tbh, I mean, Shels only scraped through against the Islandic team from an 89th min equaliser to win on away goals. At least they managed to get through though.

Sheridan
12/08/2004, 3:15 PM
That's always going to be a problem when you have a UEFA Cup spot for the FAI Cup.
Shels have at least 3 more games left so we may get a few more coefficient points yet.
Been saying this for years. Unfortunately, I don't think it's within the eL's remit to banish the FAI Cup winners to the Intertoto. We'd almost be as well off voluntarily giving up the third UEFA spot. At least our coefficient points would only be divided by two.

observer
12/08/2004, 4:05 PM
Hey Phillytwit, stop talking through your rear end. Do you expect that a team which has played crap at home all year are suddenly going to turn their form on its head just because it is a European game. That only happens in Roy of the Rovers comics which I believe you should stick to. There are scenarios where league games are more important to a club than a day in the sun, and believe me that is where Longford are at now. :p

max power
12/08/2004, 4:05 PM
Damn right, no eL club should ever loose to a team from Lichenstein!

or to limerick....but hey yee managed that this season so no one is perfect.

phillyla*ger
12/08/2004, 4:20 PM
That only happens in Roy of the Rovers comics. a day in the sun :p
Well "astute" observer id say youve proved me wrong about increased ambition across the league
:rolleyes:

razor
12/08/2004, 5:19 PM
or to limerick....but hey yee managed that this season so no one is perfect.
Yes but our reserves losing to Limerick in ET did not bring shame upon this great nation of ours.

phillyla*ger
12/08/2004, 5:29 PM
says a lot when u think a game against the mighty Vaduz is a day in the sun. Do u think that lowly of the quality of your own club? I honestly think (and most Longford fans hopefully will agree) that ye should beat such opposition.
Also the potential revenue of a euro run would benefit Longford firstly and help raise the profile of all el clubs as well.
So who's got his head up his ars* eh?

max power
12/08/2004, 5:37 PM
we lost get over it, we did.

and from what fans of both clubs have said, cork had a strong team out that night, so no excuses please, we have none. we are and were playing bad all season so far.

Longfordian
12/08/2004, 6:36 PM
As im sick and tired of pointing out Vaduz have a bigger budget than your own beloved City and would give any team in the EL a good game. Its not as if all the players are only from Liechtenstein, they have all full time players from eleven different countries and what makes Liechtesntein so bad anyway, England only beat them 2-0 and 3-0 in qualifying and Greece only beat them 2-0 in their final game before Euro 2004, its not as if they're being destroyed by anyone. Fair enough it was disappointing but it was nothing we should be ashamed of in my opinion, none of you saw Vaduz play

Pablo
12/08/2004, 6:40 PM
As im sick and tired of pointing out Vaduz have a bigger budget than your own beloved City and would give any team in the EL a good game. Its not as if all the players are only from Liechtenstein, they have all full time players from eleven different countries and what makes Liechtesntein so bad anyway, England only beat them 2-0 and 3-0 in qualifying and Greece only beat them 2-0 in their final game before Euro 2004, its not as if they're being destroyed by anyone. Fair enough it was disappointing but it was nothing we should be ashamed of in my opinion, none of you saw Vaduz play

i guess its like comparing the EL with the national team. not neccisarily the same level.

still though Longfords reult was a bit disapointing especially at home

Longfordian
12/08/2004, 6:41 PM
Oh I dont dispute that but im just a bit of sick of everyone saying it was disgraceful. Disappointing is fair enough, but they're no joke of a side

Pablo
12/08/2004, 6:44 PM
i can imagine. still shels may have undone the damage as regards co eff's

Colm
12/08/2004, 7:20 PM
You'd expect the City, Shels or even Bohs to hammer the likes of Vaduz but Longford are only a small club so they were probably happy just to have a nice trip to Lichenstein. I wouldn't be critisising them too much, it's not their fault that they don't have much money or fans.... I mean they come from a town of only 10,000 people. They should be applauded for qualifying for Europe in the first place, big clubs like oursleves expect it but for smaller clubs it's a novelty.

tiktok
12/08/2004, 7:26 PM
You'd expect the City, Shels or even Bohs to hammer the likes of Vaduz but Longford are only a small club so they were probably happy just to have a nice trip to Lichenstein. I wouldn't be critisising them too much, it's not their fault that they don't have much money or fans.... I mean they come from a town of only 10,000 people. They should be applauded for qualifying for Europe in the first place, big clubs like oursleves expect it but for smaller clubs it's a novelty.

...and to think people accuse City fans of being arrogant :eek:

Colm
12/08/2004, 7:31 PM
...and to think people accuse City fans of being arrogant :eek:

:D :D ;)

ThaddyQuill
13/08/2004, 12:08 AM
EL clubs have been competitive(and sucessful) in their European matches this year, which is big improvement over previous years. It is a pity that City's run doesent count towards the Euorpean rankings but it has helped the club in many other ways(media exposure, player confidence, prize money, etc). The standards are definetly rising.
I think people are being a little harsh on Longford. When the draw was made i expected them to win handy but that is the same uninformed opinion that the Dutch and Swedish teams had when they heard they were playing us. Chances are they have a better stadium and have a more expensive squad than we have(OK now im guessing but its probably true :) ).

Bionic Brennie
13/08/2004, 12:27 AM
Hey Thaddy... are you rambling or roving???

Longfordian
13/08/2004, 1:37 AM
Colm, while I appreciate you're not havin a go, I stand by my opinion that Vaduz would give most Eircom league teams a really tough game. Its pointless judging them by population, maybe by their record in Europe but according to themselves they've only got significant investment in the last two years, last year I believe the Ukrainian team that put them out went on two further rounds and Vaduz only lost 1-0 on aggregate, the year before that Livingston beat them on away goals and they had the ball in the net as the final whistle blew which would have seen them through.

If I didnt see the Vaduz team and hadn't spoken to their officials I'd be dismissive too but they have serious backers behind them which we at Longford can only dream of at the moment. Im not saying we had no chance just that they are worthy of more respect than they've been getting. probably as you say City or Shels given you're Euro form would have taken them, this season's Bohs I dont know but Vaduz would not have been hammered by anyone in the Eircom League

observer
13/08/2004, 8:35 AM
At least he's not "Bould"! :)

ccfcman
13/08/2004, 11:08 AM

thats a very naive point,look at the size of la coruna for example,much the same as cork yet depor are a massive club,also birmingham population of 1.8m and eh any one heard of a club called halesowen town.

Colm
13/08/2004, 11:27 AM
thats a very naive point,look at the size of la coruna for example,much the same as cork yet depor are a massive club,also birmingham population of 1.8m and eh any one heard of a club called halesowen town.

Yeah but that doesn't change the fact that Longford are a small club and City are the biggest club in Ireland!!

ccfcman
13/08/2004, 2:02 PM
yes true but if money was ploughed into longford(ya ya they know a lot about ploughing) wouldnt they go kick ass in europe?

b_mcsweeney
13/08/2004, 4:11 PM
a liechtenstein representative had never won a game, let alone a tie, in european competition before the uefa cup this year. fair enough, maybe vaduz have improved greatly in the last year or so, but really its a disappointing result that longford couldn't beat them. the same way that $hel$ losing to a team from malta last year was pretty pathetic. or pats losing 10 nil to zimbrau chisinau.