PDA

View Full Version : article

namloc
12/08/2004, 11:53 AM
http://www.sw19s-army.co.uk/artic_cork.htm

found this article about city on a wimbledon fanzine site. from last season. good article

thecorner
12/08/2004, 12:15 PM
was on here before

tiktok
12/08/2004, 12:39 PM
I hadn't seen it before, good article

adamcarr
12/08/2004, 1:00 PM
Brings back horrible memories! :(

exile
12/08/2004, 1:30 PM
witty fecker isnt he

ThaddyQuill
12/08/2004, 1:51 PM
Nice article, its good to get an outsiders point of view. The guy gave a fair account of things and seemed impressed (I liked the way he disagreed with The Examiners take on the match, about attracting new fans)

DolansWaistcoat
12/08/2004, 2:18 PM
Very good article.
Still hurts though that Flynny penalty miss. :(

Troy.McClure
12/08/2004, 3:27 PM
Brings back horrible memories! :(

Ssssssssshhhhhhhh, dont think about it and it will go away soon :o

ccfcman
13/08/2004, 11:30 AM
very well writtena and complimentary to city

bring him bk and see how good we are now!

rep_dunford
13/08/2004, 1:13 PM
bring him bk and see how good we are now!

Blimey, didn't realise anyone remembered the article :)

Haven't really been able to go to Cork or Ireland much this year (did try and get to Malmo but couldn't). Definitely trying to go to a CCFC game next season though, even if it's being played somewhere like Dublin. Have to pick and choose my trips outside England a bit at the moment because of my job (freelance sports writer), so it's not easy :(

Thanks for the renewed interest

Cheerz

REPD
SW19's ARMY (http://www.sw19s-army.co.uk)

ccfcman
13/08/2004, 1:49 PM
, even if it's being played somewhere like Dublin.[/URL]

be careful,watch yer wallet ;) ,seriously i must commend that article

pete
13/08/2004, 2:19 PM
Good article even if i didn't obviously get the SW19 or WAFC references.

I think both shels & city have progressed a lot in the last couple of years too.

Pablo
13/08/2004, 2:22 PM
tomorrow would be the match to cover and compare to the last time. even in a couple of seasons both teams have improved

Nice article

Fair_play_boy
13/08/2004, 7:46 PM
Good article even if i didn't obviously get the SW19 or WAFC references. I am guessing the following; South West 19 is the Wimbledon post code, and wafc is Wimbledon Assoc Football Club.

rep_dunford
13/08/2004, 8:05 PM
I am guessing the following; South West 19 is the Wimbledon post code, and wafc is Wimbledon Assoc Football Club.

Close - SW19 is the postcode for the area of London that Wimbledon is in, and also the name of the site (it's a lyric from a very bad club song in the 80s).

WAFC isn't entirely accurate, it's AFCW - AFC Wimbledon. Which formed from the club called Wimbledon FC, which won the English FA Cup in 1988 and now called Milton Keynes Dons in the stupidly titled Coca Cola League 1.

If you want to know the level of which people think of MK Dons, just add what everyone thinks of Shelbourne and Shamrock Rovers together and you'll come a little way close ;)

REPD

Fair_play_boy
14/08/2004, 9:42 PM
Mr. Dunford, you are a sweet writer.
There is possibly a vacancy for a writer like you in our local paper, as one Mr. Noel Spillane can not see his copy book for all the blots he has put on it.
Any chance you could freelance a bit our way?
By the way, your observations about the ground, the age make-up of the crowd and the pleasurable antics of the Shed boys were a joy to this reader. Thank you.

rep_dunford
14/08/2004, 10:31 PM
There is possibly a vacancy for a writer like you in our local paper, as one Mr. Noel Spillane can not see his copy book for all the blots he has put on it.

Gladly :)

In all seriousness, I'm always on the lookout for new openings, so if anyone knows anyone etc (says he pleading...)

REPD

ccfc till i die
14/08/2004, 10:48 PM
It was a good article alright but I've never been able to figure out who (if anyone) among city fans thinks of dubs as "rich" and "stuck up".

More like the freckly, working class love children of Brendan O' Carroll and Blackie Connors from glenroe who spend their time riding their horses around housing estates in Ballymun playing their mouth organ for spare change.

Fair_play_boy
14/08/2004, 10:51 PM
Reprinted from another thread ("Article")

And the reply:
Gladly
In all seriousness, I'm always on the lookout for new openings, so if anyone knows anyone etc (says he pleading...)
REPD
SW19's ARMY
Brian Lennox printed a semi-retraction of his anti-Echo comments in the programme today. But to be fair, the Echo could be a little more supportive. Question: How can we get this guy writing for our so-called "local" newspaper? Does anybody on this forum have a contact in Academy Street?

rep_dunford
15/08/2004, 8:19 AM
It was a good article alright but I've never been able to figure out who (if anyone) among city fans thinks of dubs as "rich" and "stuck up".

More like the freckly, working class love children of Brendan O' Carroll and Blackie Connors from glenroe who spend their time riding their horses around housing estates in Ballymun playing their mouth organ for spare change.

Depends which part of Dublin - from memory south side is pretty poshe and as I described it

Phibsboro and Drumcondra on the other hand...

REPD